How does the Buffalo media whiff so bad on the Bills?

PromoTheRobot

At the risk of starting another conflagration, I really want to know what the Buffalo sports media does when they are supposedly covering the team? Maybe John Wawrow could tell us.

I can understand the national media has 31 other teams to cover and the Bills have been such an afterthought that few if any would bother to take a close look at us. But how do reporters, who's job it is to cover camp and practices, talk to players and coaches, etc, be so dead wrong on this team's prospects going into the season? Seriously, if all of you are so "shocked" by what you saw, what the f**k do you do all day?

I do have a theory. Things have been so bad with the Bills the last 11 years that most of the press, thinking they are being unbiased, dismiss any good signs out of hand as being a mirage. And with the head gremlin Jerry Sullivan leading the charge, all the other reporters fall in line behind him.

This is the only scenario I can imagine because the Bills didn't just expose the KC Chiefs today, they exposed the Buffalo News and WGR for short-changing local sports fans.

PTR

PTR, I agree with you. Both Peter King and Mike Florio (national writers) opined before the season that they wouldn't be surprised to see the Bills make a playoff run. They, at least, were aware of the work Nix/Gailey were getting done with our Bills. Yet our own local writers mostly predicted another year of futility, seemingly oblivious to the important changes to the team.

It shameful that national writers have a better hand on the pulse of the Bills than our own local ones.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. Maybe because they are paid to report on the team and have access most of us don't have?

PTR

As was mentioned, the media you are referring to aren't football analysts or really insightful in any way. Most were nerds who wouldn't know the difference between a power sweep or a weak side counter (neither would I if it want for madden). Expecting them to see something in training camp or preaseason is not a reasonable expectation.

I thought the heavy betting action on the Bills was a quirky thing that might've warranted some attention, though that "story" picked up a lot of momentum late.

At multiple locations the Chiefs opened up around -6 and closed at -3.5, which is not exactly a small move for an average NFL game.

Aside from a short time a little while back when the Bills were a popular week-in/week-out "under" play, they haven't exactly been a public/marquee team for a long time. Yet, this week, a lot of folks either saw something in the Bills they liked, or something in the Chiefs they really hated.

The movement of the betting line is pretty simple to explain-the Cassel injury and his ability to play well with the rib injury is why the line moved from 6 to 3.5.

I'll defend the media here because what the Bills did yesterday, we, along with the media didn't see in preseason. Chandler wasn't playing anything like he did yesterday and the O-line was in constant flux in camp with Gailey playing around with the left side in practice & games. We all knew the D was improved, but there was no indication that the O would be vastly improved.

I've always said this when someone questions coaches decisions on players: The team does a lot of stuff behind closed doors that nobody, including the media, sees. The best stuff is saved for the closed practices, not the open ones. Teams truly believe in the slogan "trust no one". What we saw yesterday was the culmination of a lot of hard work by the coaches and players that nobody saw in advance. Good for them!

For the 1st time since 2008, there is a real reason for optimism at OBD. Let's enjoy it and give the media a break. They're not as privy to the inside stuff that many seem to think they are. At least this week, it looks like the front office might actually know what they're doing. They may have just tweaked the roster enough & seem to have rid themselves of some key players who over the years just never learned how to win and as long as they remained in Buffalo, the team couldn't move on. There's no way to measure how guys who have accepted losing as a way of life can bring a team down.

I think the bottom line, is that the Buffalo media has become so negative on the Bills in general over the last 10 years, they are no longer objective --- but they biased against rather than being biased for the team --

Usually with LOCAL media you get unjustified bias FOR a team -- in our case we get the oppostite -- led by Sully and the GR afternoon crew ---

Last night they were still on the "a good team would never have traded Evans, they would have kept him as a backup" -- when are they going to let this go --- Evans DOES NOT fit this offense --- Nix/Gailey want big receivers that block and go over the middle

Let me say this: if you are being truly OBJECTIVE, then Jerry Sullivan and the media have been CORRECT more often than not over the last decade. For every single time a Bills fan (and I am a rabid one, believe me) crows after a victory about how the media got it all wrong by dumping on the Bills and picking them to lose, there are five other games where Sullivan and the media got it RIGHT.

This franchise has been a decade-long joke. They drew comparisons, rightfully so, to the Lions as a measure of total futility. It's not something I want to rehash. But the media has banged on this team because they deserved it. As an organization, the Bills sold us "hope and change" for ten years, not a viable product on the field.

I have hated enduring the negativity we've been subject to from all corners of the media, not just Jerry Sullivan or Schopp and the Bulldog, among others. But the truth is this team has sucked for so long that to spin things positive would have been disingenuous. Yes, the media should also recognize improvement... but have you seen any in the last ten years?

Now, if the Bills get on a roll and (most importantly) get to the playoffs, and the negativity persists, then I'll be first to jump on the anti-media bandwagon.

Cynicism is easier than optimism. This is true in all walks of life, and especially among those who want to appear smart and with it.

Of course the team's decade of suck has made it easier as well, so commentators and reporters in WNY just direct all their venom at the home team. It makes them feel good when the team does badly, and if the team does well, they can shrug their shoulders and keep on going.

In markets where the home team has been strong for a while (WEEI comes to mind here, as do some of the Philly writers), the media adopt a position of homerist ball-washing (our coach is a genius, this or that player is all-world) and discharge their need for cynicism with arrogant insults directed toward other, poorer teams. Until those teams get good, and the home team suffers a setback, and they reset to home-directed cynicism.

Let me say this: if you are being truly OBJECTIVE, then Jerry Sullivan and the media have been CORRECT more often than not over the last decade. For every single time a Bills fan (and I am a rabid one, believe me) crows after a victory about how the media got it all wrong by dumping on the Bills and picking them to lose, there are five other games where Sullivan and the media got it RIGHT.

This franchise has been a decade-long joke. They drew comparisons, rightfully so, to the Lions as a measure of total futility. It's not something I want to rehash. But the media has banged on this team because they deserved it. As an organization, the Bills sold us "hope and change" for ten years, not a viable product on the field.

I have hated enduring the negativity we've been subject to from all corners of the media, not just Jerry Sullivan or Schopp and the Bulldog, among others. But the truth is this team has sucked for so long that to spin things positive would have been disingenuous. Yes, the media should also recognize improvement... but have you seen any in the last ten years?

Now, if the Bills get on a roll and (most importantly) get to the playoffs, and the negativity persists, then I'll be first to jump on the anti-media bandwagon.

Here's a question: We're they right because they knew something or we're they just guessing right? The Bills historically have been a poorly performing franchise. Predicting they will suck every year make you right more than wrong, but doesn't make you an expert. And that is my point. The local media stopped doing its job and just predicts "suck" every year. They have shown they are no more knowledgeable about the teams they cover than any of us.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I don't know, but I really hope posts like this don't come back to bite us in the ass come December. It was just ONE game. Maybe the stars aligned for us today - KC sure did look like a bunch of idiots out there. I already feel this board getting collectively too cocky, which is way too premature IMO.

You do realize that its not the fans that play the game. The fans can get as excited and cocky as they want, its the players that can't get overconfident.

Senator can justifiably continue his 19-0 mantra and he has every right to. This is what the fans need, it gets them excited possibly buying more tickets and merchandise. Let the fans gloat and cheer all they want, it will not effect the outcome of any game in the future because the fans were overconfident.

And its the job of the coaching staff to make sure the players don't act like that.

Hell the Bills crushed someone on opening day on the road, enjoy it, have fun with it. Yell at the top of your lungs the Bills are going to the Superbowl, we as fans need this. If we lose the next fifteen, so be it. We still got to enjoy a great win for 1 week.

Edited by Realist

Let's be honest here: there was no one on this board (with the exception of a few people who I believed were joking) who thought that the Bills would blow out KC let alone win.

Speak for yourself. I thought that the Bills would end up having a losing season but that they'd beat the Chiefs easily. I knew going into the game that they were a mess, and that their record was a sham last year (they feasted on the NFC West). Don't be shocked if Andrew Luck is playing QB in KC next year. They have to face the NFC North and the AFC East (NYJ, NE, Chicago, Detroit, GB, Minnesota). That's six probable losses right there, and let's recall that they were swept by the Raiders last year and got lucky against the Chargers. I'm thinking 3-13, especially because the players appear to hate and disrespect the coach.

I may change my mind about the Bills because of the QB. Fitzpatrick is good. Can he get them to 8-9-10 wins? Dunno, but we'll see. Let's see them play a real opponent. I love Fitz, though.

As to Promo's general point, I don't think local reporters have been savvy enough to consider how important a good QB is. Fitz is a pro, and plays like a top-15 qb. It is a QB league, which should be obvious to anyone who covers the sport.

Btw, in the last 16 games that Fitz started, he is 344/548 (62.8 percent) for 3613 yards, 31 TDs, and 16 INTs. His QB rating over that 16-game span is 88.57.

Edited by dave mcbride

Here's a question: We're they right because they knew something or we're they just guessing right? The Bills historically have been a poorly performing franchise. Predicting they will suck every year make you right more than wrong, but doesn't make you an expert. And that is my point. The local media stopped doing its job and just predicts "suck" every year. They have shown they are no more knowledgeable about the teams they cover than any of us.

PTR

I will not deny your point. It's a very good one. However, I think you would concede that we've put our rose colored glasses on just about every time the Bills "made a splash," like Bledsoe, McGahee, Losman, drafts in general, etc. That's part of being a fan....hope does spring eternal.

At the risk of starting another conflagration, I really want to know what the Buffalo sports media does when they are supposedly covering the team? Maybe John Wawrow could tell us.

I can understand the national media has 31 other teams to cover and the Bills have been such an afterthought that few if any would bother to take a close look at us. But how do reporters, who's job it is to cover camp and practices, talk to players and coaches, etc, be so dead wrong on this team's prospects going into the season? Seriously, if all of you are so "shocked" by what you saw, what the f**k do you do all day?

I do have a theory. Things have been so bad with the Bills the last 11 years that most of the press, thinking they are being unbiased, dismiss any good signs out of hand as being a mirage. And with the head gremlin Jerry Sullivan leading the charge, all the other reporters fall in line behind him.

This is the only scenario I can imagine because the Bills didn't just expose the KC Chiefs today, they exposed the Buffalo News and WGR for short-changing local sports fans.

PTR

Are you serious? Do you expect the media or anyone else to reach an entirely new conclusion about the team after each game? Week one (41-7) obviously destined to win the Super Bowl. Bandwagon rolling full steam. By week four the Bills could be coming off a humiliating loss and do you expect the opposite overreaction?

Seriously, how can you jump to such ridiculous conclusions after one game? Remember a few years ago when the Bills smoked the Pats 31-0 in game one? Have you learned nothing? Did you criticize the team critics for being clueless about the team after that game also?

This is plain stupid. Wait until the end of the season before you pass judgment on who was right and who was wrong about the team. Seriously.

I think the results of the 2003 season after that fast 2-0 start, in addition with the 4-0 start in 2008 and crash and burn, has jaded some into the 'wait and see' process.

And in part, I cannot blame the media.

We will have to earn it. Over time. Not after 1 week.

Edited by Pegula Saves

PTR

easy answer, though i speak only for myself. as Bills fans too well know, this team has provided promises and hope-raising expectations way too many times before to have burned me in my predictions.

i foolishly predicted playoffs in 2009.

i foolishly thought Mularkey's second year was going to be something.

and don't get me started on 4-1 in '08.

a broken clock is right twice a day. and i'll wait a few weeks before determining whether these Bills are actually for real or whether they caught a Chiefs team in turmoil. that's possible.

but please, it's Week 1. it was a good win. an uplifting one. but to bang this drum of the media this and the media that, puh-leeze.

we here get it both ways: we're not hard enough on them when they lose; and we don't milk them enough when they win.

perhaps this team just might be better. for win-starved Bills fans, i hope that's the case.

this town has deserved better.

jw

easy answer, though i speak only for myself. as Bills fans too well know, this team has provided promises and hope-raising expectations way too many times before to have burned me in my predictions.

a broken clock is right twice a day. and i'll wait a few weeks before determining whether these Bills are actually for real or whether they caught a Chiefs team in turmoil. that's possible.

but please, it's Week 1. it was a good win. an uplifting one. but to bang this drum of the media this and the media that, puh-leeze.

we here get it both ways: we're not hard enough on them when they lose; and we don't milk them enough when they win.

perhaps this team just might be better. for win-starved Bills fans, i hope that's the case.

jw

John: See my post above. It is a QB-driven league, and if Fitz keeps up his pace of the last 16 games, then no matter who is playing OLB, the Bills will be competitive. They've had a lot of big black holes over the last decade, but that's the biggest one. If they've solved it, they'll be OK.

PTR

Right, It's only the "Buffalo" media that got WEEK 1 OF A 17 WEEK SEASON wrong.

Everyone predicted Cincy to beat Cleveland

Everyone predicted Cam Newton would throw for 422 YDS and score 3 TD's

Everyone predicted the Ravens would completely dominate the Sttelers.

Everyone predicted the Redskins would Dominate the Giants.

The 1st week in the NFL is the week of over reactions, but yes it's only the Buffalo media who get things wrong. Except half of the WGR staff chose Buffalo to win this game. But its the cool thing to do to rip WGR because everyone else is doing it.

jw

Of course you are right...and...few of us don't actually do your job...we're just a bunch of trolls on a message boards, or, at least I am.

On the other hand, some people in the media, not you, made a choice to cross many lines leading up to yesterday. We didn't make those choices. They did. If we hold them personally responsible for their choices, like not only completely disregarding the obvious improvements on defense, and belligerently ignoring Fitzpatrick's steady improvement last year, but then, taking it even further and talking schit about the city and the people...

....what is wrong with that? Are you trying to tell me that Sterling Sharpe is the best football analyst in the business? He's the only one who didn't ignore our defense. He appears to be the only one who actually watched the preseason games.

And, the bad choices continue: I have had ESPN on for the last 2 hours. Not one mention of the Bills/Chiefs. Not even a small, stock highlight reel. Say all you want about the Bills burning the media in the past, but, the Chiefs were a division winner last year. Even if we give the Bills 0 credit for yesterday, and blame it ALL on the Chiefs meltdown...are you trying to tell me that story doesn't merit 3 minutes on ESPN? Since when does ESPN not want to report on Meltdowns? They devote whole segments to poorly considered tweets, for Christ's sake!

( I feel like I'm the guy that said "Are you trying to tell me that Jesus Christ can't hit a curve ball?" :D I don't want to be ridiculous, but I feel like I'm dealing with ridiculous, so fire with fire?)

John: See my post above. It is a QB-driven league, and if Fitz keeps up his pace of the last 16 games, then no matter who is playing OLB, the Bills will be competitive. They've had a lot of big black holes over the last decade, but that's the biggest one. If they've solved it, they'll be OK.

you're right about QBs, and as Fitz"gerald" (i kid as this is an inside joke) has told me himself, it's on him to prove it. so far so good. he's continuing the trend he started last year. he's now 9-12 with the Bills over a two season and one-game stretch in which Buffalo's other QBs have gone 2-10.

maybe, just maybe, he'll do it. nothing against him or the team, i would prefer waiting until after eight games to see where this thing's heading. after all, the media and some fans on this board were also ready to anoint Trent Edwards after his 5-1 start in 2008.

this year could be different, but who knows.

jw

Right, It's only the "Buffalo" media that got WEEK 1 OF A 17 WEEK SEASON wrong.

Everyone predicted Cincy to beat Cleveland

Everyone predicted Cam Newton would throw for 422 YDS and score 3 TD's

Everyone predicted the Ravens would completely dominate the Sttelers.

Everyone predicted the Redskins would Dominate the Giants.

The 1st week in the NFL is the week of over reactions, but yes it's only the Buffalo media who get things wrong. Except half of the WGR staff chose Buffalo to win this game. But its the cool thing to do to rip WGR because everyone else is doing it.

for the record, i got Cincy right. ;)

jw

you're right about QBs, and as Fitz"gerald" (i kid as this is an inside joke) has told me himself, it's on him to prove it. so far so good. he's continuing the trend he started last year. he's now 9-12 with the Bills over a two season and one-game stretch in which Buffalo's other QBs have gone 2-10.

maybe, just maybe, he'll do it. nothing against him or the team, i would prefer waiting until after eight games to see where this thing's heading. after all, the media and some fans on this board were also ready to anoint Trent Edwards after his 5-1 start in 2008.

jw

jw

:lol::thumbsup:

jw

jw

Speaking of Trent, watching the Chiefs yesterday reminded me alot of that offense. Dink and dunk to the max. 22 completions for 119 yeards?!? That is pathetic.