Forbes Ranks The NFL's Most Valuable Teams

papazoid

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills owner has been maximizing the team's value for years now.

Ralph makes an occasional spin comment, but really doesn't care about having a winning team.

Nix and Gailey are caretaker staff, but the power is with the financial guys.

I can't believe so many people here refuse to accept this.

Uh, the value of the team has gone down the last couple of years. How do you figure? That doesn't sound like maximizing the teams value to me.

Right because it's either one or the other. There's no way they could spend more money without losing money?

What is the scenario where spending an additional $20 million in salary earns the team more than $20 million in additional profits?

Maybe attendence increases 13,000 a game. That's about an additional 100,000 tickets sold. $2 million in profit? $4 million at the most. So where does the other $16 million come from? Luxury boxes from all the Fortune 500 companies in Buffalo? Selling an extra million jerseys? I just don't think there is alot of room for revenue growth.

You are not alone.

The Buffalo Bills are moving. Someone with a chunk of money is gonna buy the Bills and move them.

That's why I suggest everyone start watching the SU Orange football team. The Orange are never going to leave CNY.

And I know there's already a significant SU Orange football following in Rochester & Buffalo because my company sells a lot of SU merchandise there. Not so much in smAlbany, though.

Do schools normally leave where they are and relocate?

What is the scenario where spending an additional $20 million in salary earns the team more than $20 million in additional profits?

Maybe attendence increases 13,000 a game. That's about an additional 100,000 tickets sold. $2 million in profit? $4 million at the most. So where does the other $16 million come from? Luxury boxes from all the Fortune 500 companies in Buffalo? Selling an extra million jerseys? I just don't think there is alot of room for revenue growth.

If the Bills paid to be a contender every year they could raise ticket prices, raise the prices for the suites and luxury boxes and people would buy them. They would also sell a lot more merchandise. They probably wouldn't even have to spend up to the salary cap. Not every team that makes the playoffs spends to the salary cap. They could also sell the naming rights to the stadium but they could do that now and don't. Maybe all of that wouldn't add up $20 million in profit but a lot of owners would be ok with less profit (not even losing money -- just less profit) in order to win a championship.

Edited by Pondslider

The Bills can go 0-16 every year, have no one in the stands, and still be the most valuable team in the NFL. Why? Because they will be the only team of 32 to become available at auction when Ralph passes. Three words: supply and demand.

All your feeble attempts at knowing Ralph's true intentions are hilarious. You cherry pick facts that support your silly arguments and ignore the rest, or worse you invent new bizarre scenarios.

If Ralph did anything he probably mortgaged the team to get some of the equity out before his death. And his "cheapness" may really be an interest payment that's due.

All in all, everyone waiting for Ralph to go thinking the Bills will magically improve when that happens better get used cheering for them in L.A. because there is about a 1% chance they stay in WNY.

PTR

I think they started calling the difference "playoffs" some time ago.

I liked the red helmets better.

The Bills can go 0-16 every year, have no one in the stands, and still be the most valuable team in the NFL. Why? Because they will be the only team of 32 to become available at auction when Ralph passes. Three words: supply and demand.

All your feeble attempts at knowing Ralph's true intentions are hilarious. You cherry pick facts that support your silly arguments and ignore the rest, or worse you invent new bizarre scenarios.

If Ralph did anything he probably mortgaged the team to get some of the equity out before his death. And his "cheapness" may really be an interest payment that's due.

All in all, everyone waiting for Ralph to go thinking the Bills will magically improve when that happens better get used cheering for them in L.A. because there is about a 1% chance they stay in WNY.

PTR

Isn't that just your feeble attempt at knowing Ralph's true intentions?

I don't really care about his intentions. It's his actions that bother me.

Isn't that just your feeble attempt at knowing Ralph's true intentions?

I don't really care about his intentions. It's his actions that bother me.

It is a guess. Never stated it was fact. At least we have one well run franchise in the Sabres. Better than none.

PTR

PTR

the toronto market is enormous, and the bills are the only brand in all of western new york and that toronto metro area.

you have a 1% understanding of this situation if you think there will never be football in western new york after ralph wilson dies.

it's too big, it's too much of a proven market, it's too much of a guarantee.

people are killing themselves to put a team in LA, which has been a failing proposition two? three? times? i lost count.

if the nfl leaves buffalo, the nfl will come back to buffalo quicker than it came back to cleveland.

a winning team would be immensely profitable in this region in this day and age.

take your toe off the shotgun trigger.

I will choose to believe they will stay, because if they go there will be nothing I or any of you can do about it. Belly aching and not supporting the team because of speculative fear will certainly not help.

Here is my speculative worse case scenario: Ralph Kicks, team moves to LA. Millions of Bills fans make an emotional plea for them to stay to no avail, meanwhile owners in Jacksonville look to buffalo as greener pastures and we get a replacement. There is a place for us, one of the most loyal and passionate fan bases in all of sports, in the NFL.

So doom and glooers, carry on.

It is a guess. Never stated it was fact. At least we have one well run franchise in the Sabres. Better than none.

PTR

I'm just wondering what makes you think that someone would buy the 9th most profitable team in the NFL, and then move them to a city where several other teams have failed? If it is indeed a business after all, that doesn't make much business sense.

I personally think that 20 mil could go pretty far to making this team better. That's still 20 mil in profits for the year. Not bad. If you throw in a home playoff game, you would get another 10 mil in profits back as well. 2 playoff games and you're back to even and you've given the fans what they so desperately deserve.

Edited by SwampD

The Bills owner has been maximizing the team's value for years now.

Ralph makes an occasional spin comment, but really doesn't care about having a winning team.

Nix and Gailey are caretaker staff, but the power is with the financial guys.

I can't believe so many people here refuse to accept this.

You mean to say that the owner of an NFL team in one the league's smallest markets - with a $100M+ payroll, roughly $200M in total expenses, less than $50M in gate receipts, and the lowest ticket prices in the league - is doing everything he can to maximize the value of his business enterprise?

Wow...that's such a profound concept

The Bills are 8th in operating income? Guess the pleas of poverty aren't as legitimate as OBD wants us to believe.

Remember not wanting to open the books? Knee jerk, uninformed statements like this are exactly why.

I'm just wondering what makes you think that someone would buy the 9th most profitable team in the NFL, and then move them to a city where several other teams have failed? If it is indeed a business after all, that doesn't make much business sense.

I personally think that 20 mil could go pretty far to making this team better. That's still 20 mil in profits for the year. Not bad. If you throw in a home playoff game, you would get another 10 mil in profits back as well. 2 playoff games and you're back to even and you've given the fans what they so desperately deserve.

I dont even know where to start....

Thats all that separates us from a conference champion and our new break-even point on spending? Is this 10m a home game that widely accepted that it can be thrown out unsourced?

You don't get why an entertainment franchise would see more potential in LA than buffalo? Regardless ofthe previous flops, many CEOs will say they can do it different. The rams and raiders are hardly model franchises.

Or maybe, just maybe, the awful contracts and player signings of the very dark era called Marv Levy as GM have finally been removed from the books. Say what you want that Ralph wont spend. When Donahoe and Levy where running the show, the Bills were in the upper half of the league in contracts. They just spent the money on the wrong players and drafted piss poorly. Mark this down - in the next year, the Bills Salary total is going to increase significantly because of resigning - S Johnson, R Parrish, E Wood, A Levitre and possibly R Fitzpatrick, and the team gross profits will decrease a bit.

You are not alone.

The Buffalo Bills are moving. Someone with a chunk of money is gonna buy the Bills and move them.

That's why I suggest everyone start watching the SU Orange football team. The Orange are never going to leave CNY.

And I know there's already a significant SU Orange football following in Rochester & Buffalo because my company sells a lot of SU merchandise there. Not so much in smAlbany, though.

It is impossible to spell suck without SU.

Isn't it the point of business to maximize profit? People love spending other people's money. Going into the Red by getting overpriced free agents isn't a solid business plan.

Then Ralph should come out and say that his priority is maximizing profit (as other CEOs do) instead of lying to us to sell tickets. What he does isn't just immoral - it's illegal.

PTR

Nonsense.

The bolded part is funny because you clearly made this statement without irony. Classic.

You have already stated there would be an "LA premium" that would push the value/sale price of the Bills by almost 100%. That is crazy. Even if there is only one team on the market, there will be no crazy bidding war that will raise prices.

The Bills aren't going to LA.

Ralph took an equity loan off the Bills (for what??--he's clearing 30, 40 million a year--what does he need so much cash for?)--and now he's struggling to pay the interest on it? Laughable.