Jerry Sullivan says: This Roster is a crumbling

papazoid

If Nelson pans out, that was luck. What did James Hardy do as a receiver drafted even higher? If you name one example you don't prove your point, anyone can name one player. Nelson also put up those numbers too because most of the receiver depth was injured last year, and I like Nelson but come on, be real.

Yeah that Nelson guy sucks.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Nelson, as our 4th WR last year, put up 30rec/350yds/3TDs in his ROOKIE YEAR, as an UNDRAFTED free agent.

Nelson - 20 for 233 so far this year. What a bum! Welker got 200+ in a game

Seriously, I would wonder if Nelson's value is equal to S Johnson who has 20 for 256.

Now I am waiting for the people to come on this post and say he doesn't know what he is talking about. Trading Lee Evans was just the lastest in the completely idiotic moves this franchise continues to make, over and over.

As 8&8 smartly observed the Bills under Nix and Gailey are in a rebuild mode. They are in the second year of that process. They have dramatically changed the staffing philosophy from light and quick to big and stronger. In the modern NFL there doesn't need to be five year projects if a little wisdom and flexibility is used in remaking the roster. The draft is the key to any sustained success. Again, as 8&8 stated, the mid-level free agent acquisitions allow a smart franchise to fill in the roster and turn over the old roster at a quicker pace.

In my opinion Whaley has quietly done a stellar job of bringing in reasonably priced free agents who although are not impact players are contributing players. OT Pears, G Urbik, TE Chandler and Barnett are examples of that. He also brought in a couple of offensive lineman as reserves. Without a doubt Whaley's evaluation of players is dramatically better than his predecessors.

I have no problem with Sullivan's opinion that the Bills have been poorly run for nearly a generation. How can anyone disagree with something so obvious? Just look at the record of this franchise in a system designed for parity? However, the line of demarcation of change from the old inept guard to a more competent guard is at the point of the Nix hiring. Let's not get carried away. Nix isn't an innovative genius as a GM. What he is is a solid talent evaluator who has been associated with winning programs (San Diego and Buffalo) and knows what it takes to build a foundation of success.

What the Bills under Nix/Gailey have been doing in their short stint is evaluate what they have and then decide who to keep and not. They gave Edwards an opportunity to be the franchise qb. He failed. Then was moved. Freddy Jackson has proved to be a very good player. He is now the workhorse back because he has demonstrated that he can be. You can see a semblance of a quality process of evaluating players and putting them in the a position to succeed.

I'm not going to get carried away with the Bills' 3-0 start. In my view they are still a thin team with little depth. But that is okay. At least now I see the franchise moving in a positiove direction. Let's just hope that the owner and his finance people don't sabotage the efforts of the football people in the organization.

Real question here...

I wont go to the Buffalo News's website because I dont want to give him the hits, but has Sullivan written anything since we started winning? How about after the Pats game?

I haven't read anything by him but I heard him on Gr for an hour yesterday, and for him, he was very laudatory. He wasn't a naysayer at all. He said they were better than he thought they were going to be. He thinks Fitz is playing great. He likes their attitude. He thinks they are probably a 9 win team and the playoffs are not out of the question. he just didn't think they were capable of this, and that was not an unreasonable stance to take, IMO. He loved the Ralph on Sunday, he really likes the guys on the team, especially George Wilson.

Sully's tone has changed since the Raiders game. Far more upbeat now. Still, I couldn't resist emailing him:

Jerry,

Back before the Chiefs game, many of us "Billievers" were enthusiastically optimistic about the upcoming season. We loved the way Nix was dumping the baggage of the old regime and acquiring players who had both the desire and ability to win and fit into our offensive and defensive schemes. We loved Chan's no-nonsense leadership and innovative offensive ideas.

Even the more astute members of the national media were cautiously positive about the Bills. Both PFT's Mike Florio and SI's Peter King, for example, wrote that they would not be surprised if the Bills made the playoffs.

Ever the contrarian, one of our own Buffalo sportswriters, though, had this to say: "This roster is a crumbling monument to neglect and bad personnel moves."

It's odd how two people look at the same thing and see something completely different. When we encounter differences like this, we learn more about the observers than the thing observed.

I wonder when the mea culpa is coming?

Go Bills!

Brian

Sully's tone has changed since the Raiders game. Far more upbeat now. Still, I couldn't resist emailing him:

Jerry,

Back before the Chiefs game, many of us "Billievers" were enthusiastically optimistic about the upcoming season. We loved the way Nix was dumping the baggage of the old regime and acquiring players who had both the desire and ability to win and fit into our offensive and defensive schemes. We loved Chan's no-nonsense leadership and innovative offensive ideas.

Even the more astute members of the national media were cautiously positive about the Bills. Both PFT's Mike Florio and SI's Peter King, for example, wrote that they would not be surprised if the Bills made the playoffs.

Ever the contrarian, one of our own Buffalo sportswriters, though, had this to say: "This roster is a crumbling monument to neglect and bad personnel moves."

It's odd how two people look at the same thing and see something completely different. When we encounter differences like this, we learn more about the observers than the thing observed.

Go Bills!

Brian

make em run down hertel ave in his underwear....

Jerry,

Go Bills!

Brian

This does nothing. He reads something like that and validates himself that he was 'right' and what we're seeing is a 'miracle'. All you did was give him money.

You basically walked up to Jerry Sullivan and handed him a dollar.