Buddy on Shredd and Ragan a few minutes ago

eball

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Straight shooter. Didn't try to make any friends with the Roosevelt comments. But the fact is (IMO) Kamar Aiken is a much better football player than Roosevelt. I actually think he will end up being better than Nelson or Jones.I hope they don't lose him from the PS

He's not a better player than Roosevelt right now. He's got more potential than Roosevelt based on physical ability. That doesn't make him a better player. There is a difference.

Jasper -- [re-told the scouting story] "genetic freak" "can't get him down to 350" "gonna take him a little time, but he'll be a good player" "probably a better offensive player" "you don't want him to show up too good in preseason"

He came and out said very matter-of-factly that they (and Jasper) knew that he was better on offense. They deliberately played him on the DL during preseason to throw off the other teams when they intended to stash him on the PS and develop him as an OL.

well played

He came and out said very matter-of-factly that they (and Jasper) knew that he was better on offense. They deliberately played him on the DL during preseason to throw off the other teams when they intended to stash him on the PS and develop him as an OL.

well played

BILL HILLY GENIUS!

Good post. Where are all the glass half empty people?

OK just for fun, what he's really thinking:

"feel good about where we are"-We're in the hunt for Andrew Luck. We really need a franchise QB.

"bigger, stronger, faster -- how many more wins that means we'll see" Not many, if any

Q about Bills being low on contracts -- "said 100 times, moves are made w/ info we have at the time to make the team better"

"never about money, never about where a player was drafted" "only way I'll keep my job is if we win games -- not staying around because 'Buddy saved us a few bucks'" But if I spend more than the beancounters want, I'm gone. Oh yeah, don't ever call Ralph's niece a c**t.

Q about ever being told by Ralph not to spend -- "don't know where stuff like that comes from" "it's the other way around" "i talk him out of [going after high dollar guys]" "that's happened more than once" When he wanted to hire a big $ Coach/GM, I sure talked him out of that.

Lee Evans trade -- "we think in the long run it makes us better" "not a guy to run a lot of crossing routes" Fitzpatrick doesn't have the arm strength to get the ball to him, so lets get a draft pick while we can.

Trying to be "ascending on every thing we do -- arrow always pointing up." We can't go any lower

Donald Jones -- "very strong, can get off the line and beat the press, feel he makes us better now" If this WR thing doesn't work out, he might just be the next Leif Larsen, man is he strong.

Hangartner cut -- "lacks strength to anchor at the point" "if we have a backup C, he also has to be able to backup at G" For his contract he needed to be able to be a pilot too and fly the plane to road games in order to stay on the Bills.

Overdorf -- "does a great job at what he does" "handles the contracts, draws up the contracts" "i don't like to negotiate with agents and Overdorf is great at that" "he'll come to me and ask if we want to go higher, is this too much, etc."

"sometimes i'll talk to an agent but not much" "i'm too black and white, not a good negotiator" Contracts, I'm too old for this s**t.

Sam Young -- "i graded him out of college" "all of our guys were familiar with him" "huge man, very smart guy, brings an attitude we need" "nasty" "much better run blocker than pass blocker" "not a great foot athlete" "he'll help our running game and we'll play him at RT" I also graded Ed Wang out of college and liked him better. Man, I'm getting old.

Tyson Clabo -- "i think it was more to jack things up with atlanta rather than he wanted to be here" Nobody will come here until we start winning some games.

Final Roster -- "this year was tougher than last year" I couldn't find 35 players this year worthy of playing in the NFL, last year we had about 40.

Roosevelt -- "people are sometimes more interested in where he's from than how he plays" "we like naaman, but it came down to numbers"

Note to self, no more Buffalo legacy players

OL -- "nobody will believe this, but we're much better in the OL, and better than people think we are" "depth is not good" "we're good in the middle" "only one backup T and he's a rookie, and that's tough" "[we hope] young will be backup at RT, hairston at LT" Our OL depth sucked so bad last year, with guys like Wrotto and Howard, how can we possibly be any worse.

Lee Smith -- "runs an attitude too; got a little nasty in him" You'd be pretty Po'd too if you went from the Patriots to the Bills in 24 hours.

Jasper -- [re-told the scouting story] "genetic freak" "can't get him down to 350" "gonna take him a little time, but he'll be a good player" "probably a better offensive player" "you don't want him to show up too good in preseason" He's the next Fat Mike or Jamie Nails at a lot less cost.

Last season -- "got knocked around too much" "we were undersized" "got to be big enough to knock people around and i think we accomplished that" Man, that Dick (Jauron) really liked undersized players. Stuck me with Aaron Maybin, s**t.

Tried to type fast. Some very interesting comments.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

For those that missed the interview with Nix here is a link where you can hear it.

Linky

A very good listen; Buddy stopped short of bashing DJ and Co. with regards to building a team to play football in bad weather. He said if you're Indy and play inside that is one thing; but you have to have big strong guys that won't get pushed around if you play in bad weather.

He knew all along it was a 3 year project to rebuild this roster; we had a team designed to play inside a dome or in Florida; he gave a good interview.

GO BILLS!!

Edited by grog

Listen to that interview. Really listen to it. Put you hatred or loathing of Buddy aside and listen to the man talk. He KNOWS football, he KNOWS what will make a team successful. He has a plan, he's working the plan.

The Bills might not be a playoff team this year but if we keep Buddy and Chan for the next few years, they are ABSOLUTELY capable of building a super bowl worthy team.

Love the interview. The only thing I find amusing is his apparent confusion on where the idea that we don't want to spend money might come from. Not saying I don't believe him, but pretty obvious why some people might think that.

"feel good about where we are"

Q about ever being told by Ralph not to spend -- "don't know where stuff like that comes from" "it's the other way around" "i talk him out of [going after high dollar guys]" "that's happened more than once"

OL -- "nobody will believe this, but we're much better in the OL, and better than people think we are" "depth is not good" "we're good in the middle" "only one backup T and he's a rookie, and that's tough" "[we hope] young will be backup at RT, hairston at LT"

[/quote]

So, Ralph has been asking Buddy if we could go out and sign a few free agents and Buddy has been saying NO? In other words, in Buddy's mind (in his opinion), there were no good players available for the price, that would have made this OL better??? Clearly then, we must have a real "Kick Ass Team"!

So, Ralph has been asking Buddy if we could go out and sign a few free agents and Buddy has been saying NO? In other words, in Buddy's mind (in his opinion), there were no good players available for the price, that would have made this OL better??? Clearly then, we must have a real "Kick Ass Team"!

That is obviously not the reality of the situation, but I assume you and reality parted ways a long time ago.

I have always liked Buddy Nix - when I've complained of late about this team and spending, I'm saying that Buddy and Chan are going to have to win IN SPITE OF Wison. This interview hasn't changed my mind about that.

I don't believe for a minute that Hangartner wasn't capable of playing both C and RG. If Wood goes down this year, I'll wager Hangartner is more capable of being backup than whoever we have there now. Furthermore, unless Nix believes building this Bills team is really only going to be done via the draft - and he has no feeling of hurry or rush involved - in other words, if Nix believes he can just draft guys and pick up other team's cast off's, without spending on mid to high level F.A.'s, while also losing out of players when they either get to F.A., or demand higher salaries, and have five or six years to do it, then it isn't all accurate.

But, the case may be that Nix does believe he has four or five years to make this happen.

Ultimately, for those of us who think the O-line has been neglected at the expense of this team's chances at a playoff, and Buddy thinks they're much better than everyone is giving them credit for, good enough to not go out and make upgrades - then we'll see how it goes. If we go through the year and the O-line plays good, he will look like a Southern Genius. But, if that line falls apart, or if Fitz spends the season running for his life, then these words will look, in retrospect, pretty foolish.

I hope he is a genius. Go Bills!

WHOA!!!!

Go back and listen to his comments on Jasper. Nix basically stated that they played games with Jasper during the pre-season so that he wouldn't be too visible. I think he just cat and moused the league into not thinking of this guy as an OL prospect.

They could have just played him at OT in preseason & kept him on the 53 man roster. Since they no longer have the right of first refusal if another team wants to sign him off the practice squad, what did they gain other than avoiding him from getting valuable O-line experience if they think he's got a future? Was having some other bum as the 53rd player worth it if he really has potential?

What's to stop another team from listening to Buddy's comments & signing the guy off the practice squad. Sometimes these football guys need to stop thinking every roster spot is some covert plot they have to pull off and just keep the best 53.

Fill me in, please. I'm all ears... Exactly what IS your perception of "REALITY" here??

That you can't fix the entire team in one offseason. I think the Bills aren't that good of a team and needed a rebuild. I think most people feel that way and didn't think the Bills were a couple aging free agents away from competing. Call me glass half empty if you want, but I still think they have a year or two to go.