At the risk of losing, would you save wrinkles for the Pats

tjprime

Yes or no  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you save plays for the Pats even if it may cost you the Win over another team

• yes
    • no

Interesting thought/discussion by a few guys at work today. Despite being certain that Gailey has more than a few tricks up his sleeve offensively once the season starts; one guy was arguing that he'd willing LOSE to to both the Chiefs and Raiders to keep certain wrinkles "in pocket" to use against the Patriots to try and get the monkey off the Bills back. He argued that it would do more for the teams collective psyche to beat a divisional rival that everyone consistently believes will be a playoff team, than "2 meaningless wins against meaningless teams." Didn't matter if it was a tight game with a chance to pull it out against the Chiefs or Raiders, if you had to pull a new trick out you don't. He was very clear in the fact that it wasn't that you don't play to win those 2 games, BUT that you save items strictly for the Patriots. Not just specialty plays, but you hold off on running a regular play saving it for the Pats.

Guy 2 believes Buffalo cannot compete with the Pats this year, BUT thinks if they win the first 2 and make a game out of the Pats rather than "the usual annihilation" it would serve this team well in the overall turnaround and get more team members buying deeper into what "Gailey is preaching" and with another off season spent offensively that Buffalo will be a playoff team.

Both acknowledged that yes you game plan for teams and put in wrinkles to take advantage of match ups, but Guy 1 was talking about not using certain plays in the playbook, even if it cost you the Chiefs/Raiders game, strictly for the element of surprise against the Pats.

At the risk of sounding homerish, I'd like to go 3-0 but feel Guy#2 scenario of 2-1 after week 3 is possible. I also believe the vast majority of the current 53 man roster is already buying into what Gailey is selling. What I don't buy into is saving things especially if you're trying to win. If you're trying to win you put your cards on the table and go all out. You don't sacrifice a win to save a play that may or may not work to help you maybe beat another team. Anything less is playing not to lose and I had enough of that under Jauron. New wrinkles, sure but not at the risk of costing you a game.

So my vote is no, you don't save anything. So what's your vote:

Winning can become contagious. If we start with some wins, our chances of winning against the Pats increases even if we exposed everything in the cupboard.

Anyway, Gailey has a fertile mind. The success of current offensive options will only give him more options in future games.

Our only goal right now should be to beat the Chiefs.

I know it feels like we get killed by the Pats* every year, but in reality 8 of the 15 losses since the 2003 win have been by 14 points or less. In fact in the last 6 losses, only one was a blowout.

2010 - loss by 8 and 31 pts

2009 - loss by 1 and 7 pts

2008 - loss by 10 and 13 pts

PTR

I'd rather win 2 games than one any day of the week. Just saying. Regardless of division opponent or not. So no!

IMO if we have a good first game against the Chiefs an win with a purpose we will be flying high going into week 2 at home against the Raiders. It will show we can stop the run of both those teams (if we win we will have to stop the run) and will give us a whole new sense of confidence on defense. I don't think our offense will have many problems. It was shown last year our defense was the big problem. With 2 wins to start the season and our team as confident as it's been in years we COULD suprise everyone and beat the Pats.

Go Bills!

Interesting thought/discussion by a few guys at work today. Despite being certain that Gailey has more than a few tricks up his sleeve offensively once the season starts; one guy was arguing that he'd willing LOSE to to both the Chiefs and Raiders to keep certain wrinkles "in pocket" to use against the Patriots to try and get the monkey off the Bills back. He argued that it would do more for the teams collective psyche to beat a divisional rival that everyone consistently believes will be a playoff team, than "2 meaningless wins against meaningless teams." Didn't matter if it was a tight game with a chance to pull it out against the Chiefs or Raiders, if you had to pull a new trick out you don't. He was very clear in the fact that it wasn't that you don't play to win those 2 games, BUT that you save items strictly for the Patriots. Not just specialty plays, but you hold off on running a regular play saving it for the Pats.

Guy 2 believes Buffalo cannot compete with the Pats this year, BUT thinks if they win the first 2 and make a game out of the Pats rather than "the usual annihilation" it would serve this team well in the overall turnaround and get more team members buying deeper into what "Gailey is preaching" and with another off season spent offensively that Buffalo will be a playoff team.

Both acknowledged that yes you game plan for teams and put in wrinkles to take advantage of match ups, but Guy 1 was talking about not using certain plays in the playbook, even if it cost you the Chiefs/Raiders game, strictly for the element of surprise against the Pats.

At the risk of sounding homerish, I'd like to go 3-0 but feel Guy#2 scenario of 2-1 after week 3 is possible. I also believe the vast majority of the current 53 man roster is already buying into what Gailey is selling. What I don't buy into is saving things especially if you're trying to win. If you're trying to win you put your cards on the table and go all out. You don't sacrifice a win to save a play that may or may not work to help you maybe beat another team. Anything less is playing not to lose and I had enough of that under Jauron. New wrinkles, sure but not at the risk of costing you a game.

So my vote is no, you don't save anything. So what's your vote:

Of course you wouldn't. To fans, playing the Pats is a bigger game than most, but to the players and coaching staff, each game has to be as big as any other. Besides, if Gailey is this offensive genius that many claim he is, he should be able to come up with something new each week. Go Bills!

Just win, Baby.

A 2-0 team has a lot more confidence than a 0-2 team and a coach with "tricks up his sleeve"

Agreed, it would mean a lower draft pick and we can't have that here.

No...hold on...this is a great idea. Lose for the draft!! Then we can add one good player per year, and we'll magically become a beacon for FA's and we'll be able to retain any talent we do have because they will love playing on a losing team that supports losing so it can get a high draft pick.

People's draft fetishes are pathetic.