Astrobot

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:pirate:

sorry. had to try it just once. that said, in all seriousness, there is no official or unoffical word to confirm speculative reports that Terrence McGee has been released.

jw

You should absolutely not apologize! It was well played. Just remember, like revenge, it's a dish best served cold.

Oh, and thanks for the (actual) update.

Unless they have their eye on somebody who can step up, this is bad timing for us. We will finally stop the run and force the pass.

We should give him another year. But i said and still feel the same in regard to L Evans. ( another story of course?)

TB also announced 6'6" 320 lb. guard Brandon Carter is waived/injured - I was under the impression they liked him - looks like maybe they're trying to hide him on their PS...

Git 'er done, Buddy. :beer:

He went to texas tech right? The guard who used to do all the crazy face paint and had the mohawk?

Unless McGee is not one of the best 5 cornerbacks on the team, cutting him is a cost saving move plain and simple. Since the Bills are well under the salary cap there is no reason to do this from a football perspective.

I agree that cost cutting is probably an important part of the equation. But there's more to the story than just that.

The Bills are a rebuilding team. If the Bills were to cut McGee, it would afford their younger players more playing time; and would free up a roster spot for a younger player.

The Bills are at least two years away from being a serious threat to go deep into the playoffs. By then, most of whatever value McGee as a player has will have faded.

Let's say hypothetically speaking that McGee is one of the five best CBs for this year's team; and that cutting him costs the Bills one win they otherwise would have had. That extra loss could significantly improve the Bills' draft position, potentially enabling them to take a franchise QB with their first pick. Obtaining a franchise QB is the one step most necessary to convert the Bills from a perpetual pretender into a consistent contender. It's important to envision the kind of team you want the Bills to have three years from now, and to ask yourself what role, if any, you'd envision for McGee on that future team.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

The Bills are a rebuilding team. If the Bills were to cut McGee, it would afford their younger players more playing time; and would free up a roster spot for a younger player.

All it takes for younger players to get playing time is for the coach to tell them go go out on the field. McGee will not tie them to the bench. Are the future prospects of the #5 corner on the team more valuable than a veteran starter, even over a 3 or 4 year period? Unlikely. I mean who are they cutting McGee to make room for???

The Bills are at least two years away from being a serious threat to go deep into the playoffs. By then, most of whatever value McGee as a player has will have faded.

Then why not wait two years to cut him?

ILet's say hypothetically speaking that McGee is one of the five best CBs for this year's team; and that cutting him costs the Bills one win they otherwise would have had. That extra loss could significantly improve the Bills' draft position, potentially enabling them to take a franchise QB with their first pick. Obtaining a franchise QB is the one step most necessary to convert the Bills from a perpetual pretender into a consistent contender. It's important to envision the kind of team you want the Bills to have three years from now, and to ask yourself what role, if any, you'd envision for McGee on that future team.

I don't believe that the Bill are intentionally playing to lose so that they can improve their draft position. If this was really true, then I would never support this team again, but I don't believe it. Professional players and coaches want to perform well and be successful. Their jobs are on the line.

Edited by vincec

All it takes for younger players to get playing time is for the coach to tell them go go out on the field. McGee will not tie them to the bench.

Then why not wait two years to cut him?

I don't believe that the Bill are intentionally playing to lose so that they can improve their draft position. If this was really true, then I would never support this team again, but I don't believe it. Professional players and coaches want to perform well and be successful. Their jobs are on the line.

Amen, vincec! It amazes YE OLE that some have become so jaded by this era of bad football that they start believing this line about being a "rebuilding" team. "Well we won't be good for another 2 years and by then player X will have diminished value..." It's counterproductive to continue that way of thought. If we continue to cut our better players, we continue to chase our tail and that "2 more year" window remains a "2 more year" window every season. If McGee is one of the best 5 CB's on this team there's no excuse to cut him loose.

McGee should be on the roster he is one of the best 4 corners we have. If there was a dynamic young player he would be taking playing time away from then yeah cut him BUT there will be injuries and Aaron Williams will be getting playing time even if McGee makes the roster.

Also without McGee we lose a lot of the depth in the secondary. Without McGee Reggie Corner is the first corner off the bench in case of injury. It would be a stupid move if they cut McGee.

While I don't think that McGee is destined to be on this team in the long run he certainly has a year left in him to contribute to this team. At best he has another 2 seasons in him. Although I think that you have to be crazy to think that the depth and experience McGee would provide this season isn't valuable to this team, this season.

If the Bills wanted to shop for a replacement for McGee next off-season fine but there isn't a replacement on the roster.

Right now, McGee is the best CB we have, and we are paying him a very reasonable salary. Sounds like another Twitter circlejerk rumor with no legs. Oh look, the moron who made up the Merriman lies is involved, let's fall for this again.

Yep, that's him - from the o-line that allowed something like one sack for every 70 pass attempts...

I liked him when he was at TTU but I always wondered about his ability to translate to the pro level. He's a massive, massive man, especially for a guard, and didn't seem to move much in college, he seemed to be more of a straight ahead mauler.

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter Adam Schefter

First of what will be many interesting cuts: Cowboys told Igor Olshansky that he will be released today.

Jerry Jones is cheap

Also has SD ties to Buddy, so he'll probably end up a Bill.

Edited by Carey Bender

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter Adam Schefter

First of what will be many interesting cuts: Cowboys told Igor Olshansky that he will be released today.

Jerry Jones is cheap

Also has SD ties to Buddy, so he'll probably end up a Bill.

Doubtful that's about last position we need, ant tackes getting cut?

Edited by Why So Serious?

McGee should be on the roster he is one of the best 4 corners we have. If there was a dynamic young player he would be taking playing time away from then yeah cut him BUT there will be injuries and Aaron Williams will be getting playing time even if McGee makes the roster.

Also without McGee we lose a lot of the depth in the secondary. Without McGee Reggie Corner is the first corner off the bench in case of injury. It would be a stupid move if they cut McGee.

While I don't think that McGee is destined to be on this team in the long run he certainly has a year left in him to contribute to this team. At best he has another 2 seasons in him. Although I think that you have to be crazy to think that the depth and experience McGee would provide this season isn't valuable to this team, this season.

If the Bills wanted to shop for a replacement for McGee next off-season fine but there isn't a replacement on the roster.

I agree, It would be foolish to cut McGee. When he is healthy he can make plays for us. Unless the front office wants to get rid of every Tom D player that he drafted and start over again.

Bills are practicing first today, then making cuts. That's why it has been quiet so far, as per Tim Graham.

Tackles cut so far: Nothing much:

Pat McQuistan

Kyle Jolly

Nevin McCaskill

Dennis Landolt

D.J. Young

Corey Woods

Josh Davis

Cody Habben

TE's cut so far:

Joey Haynos---4th season, Jags

Cameron Graham--Louisville 6-4 / 253

Dedrick Epps---7th rounder, acquired by Dolphins, 1 catch in first year

Carson Butler

Stephen Skelton

Jamie McCoy

Marquez Branson

Riar Geer

Evan Frosch

In other news, Pat Williams (DT) suspended 2 games (nfl substance abuse policy).

I agree, It would be foolish to cut McGee. When he is healthy he can make plays for us. Unless the front office wants to get rid of every Tom D player that he drafted and start over again.

That's actually OK with me to get rid of McGee NEXT YEAR. Right now there isn't a replacement on the roster or available in free agency. Let McGee play this year he adds a lot of depth and value to this team. Next season he will be 31 and making a decent salary I think then you could consider cutting him if 1- Williams shows a lot of promise, and 2- There is a good market for corners out there and you could find a good slot corner on the market.

Cutting McGee is a mistake injuries happen to this team and with McGee there is at least some depth to the secondary (They could survive one injury at CB as Corner could play in Dime packages decently). But without McGee they are just one injury away from playing Corner in the slot.

@JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora

Colts let go of DT Tommie Harris. Sinorice Moss (Eagles) and Max Jean-Gilles (Bengals)also released

ProFootballTalk ProFootballTalk

Justin Gage and Jacob Ford cut in Tennessee bit.ly/p8pzob

Doubtful that's about last position we need, ant tackes getting cut?

Was mostly joking due to Buddy's need to sign everyone ever drafted by SD during his tenure there, but if Carrington is going to be playing OLB on a more full time basis Olshansky would be a better alternative to Heard and is still relatively young.

Edited by Carey Bender

Based on what I saw out of Ed Wang, he doesn't seem worthy of being on an NFL PS. Maybe an NFL POS, but that's about it. His mobility, hands and strength are nowhere near where they need to be. This guy needs to hire himself a top-level trainer and get himself ready for the UFL.