Can a bust on one team be a star on another?

cage

A few weeks ago there was a discussion that prompted the following question... What NFL players, any team, have been a BUST on team #1 and then became a SUCCESS on team #2?

Lets define BUST as someone who was drafted by team #1 and cut loose after 1-3 years as a failure. NOT people who were traded, left via free agency or were cut in a salary cap move.

Lets define SUCCESS as someone who became a multi-year starter (off/def) or at least 1 Pro Bowl... NOT special teams stand-outs.

I'm having trouble coming up with any from any team...

Edited by cage

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnny Unitas was perhaps the greatest "BUST to GREAT" QB of all time. He was perceived as a dumb quarterback by the Steelers who promptly let him go, and then he became a Baltimore Colt. Not a high draft pick, but certainly a gaffe of epic proportions.

Doug Williams and Steve Young, both drafted by Tampa Bay.

Possibly also Vinny Testaverde, another Buc draft pick.

Johnny Unitas was perhaps the greatest "BUST to GREAT" QB of all time. He was perceived as a dumb quarterback by the Steelers who promptly let him go, and then he became a Baltimore Colt. Not a high draft pick, but certainly a gaffe of epic proportions.

the bust was in the fact the Steelers cut him. He was drafted in the 9th round (then the 102nd overall), not sure there were a lot of expectations for him to be a stud. Incidentally, the Steelers also released Jack Kemp around that time.

Possibly also Vinny Testaverde, another Buc draft pick.

OK, I like the list so far... lets keep going. I'm going to keep Unitas off the list as it goes back too far before football operations were anywhere near as sophisticated

- Steve Young

- Doug Williams

- Vinny Testaverde

- Cedric Benson

Edited by cage

absolutely. i think what team a player goes to is a huge factor in their success (tom brady, aaron rodgers, ben roethlisberger)

there are players that had no shot to succeed because of the team they went to (joey harrington, alex smith, jp losman)

then there are players that are transcendent and can change the whole course of a franchise by themselves (peyton manning, matt ryan, lawrence taylor, joe montana)

Edited by TheBlackMamba

absolutely. i think what team a player goes too is a huge factor in their success (tom brady, aaron rodgers, ben roethlisberger)

then there are players that are transcendent and can change the whole course of a franchise by themselves (peyton manning, matt ryan, lawrence taylor, joe montana)

This is definitely true--- it's possible Trent Edwards may have developed into what Bill Walsh envisioned he would be had he been brought up properly on a better team. The concussions alone may have permanently stunted his growth, something he might not have encountered in, say, Minnesota.

There are Browns' coaches from the Tim Couch era that hold to this day that he should have been a great NFL QB, if only he weren't so horribly mismanaged by a franchise in utter disarray. Who knows what might've been.

Might not be able to call him a bust because he was a fourth-round pick, but a guy who seemingly came out of nowhere after being cut was Rich Gannon. Not sure there were many high-round guys who were released then went on to stardom.

absolutely. i think what team a player goes to is a huge factor in their success (tom brady, aaron rodgers, ben roethlisberger)

there are players that had no shot to succeed because of the team they went to (joey harrington, alex smith, jp losman)

I guess that's what this question is looking to address... lets see how long the list is that people from the crowd?

Some old timers will take offense to this but I'd really like to only consider the past decade or 2. I just think it's so incredibly different now for GM's, who have to deal with media and social media, where literally everyone has a voice and any mistake is compounded by twitter and message boards like this. And they also have access to tremendous amounts of resources. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like it was easier to be wrong about a guy back in the 70's and 80's.

Rex Grossman has a shot of being that success. I can't think of anyone else besides Benson. But Benson wasn't dismissed because he didn't have the talent. I'd love to pick out guys who were dismissed because they were completely given up on, like Maybin.

Chris Carter and Steve Largeant? Weren't both players cut by the teams that drafted them only to be some of the best WRs of all time?

After a quick google on both players they were both selected in the 4th round. Where Largent was drafted by the Oilers and was cut only to be picked up by Seattle where he retired as the most successful WR of all time. I'd still say that counts. Carter on the other hand was cut by Buddy Ryans Eagles after off the field issues, being picked up by Minnesota to retire as arguably one of the top 5 WRs of all time.

Since I thought of them I feel they should be included into that conversation. While neither were 1st rounders, they were cut by the teams that drafted them only to be 2 of the greatest of all time.

Gary Anderson cut by the buffalo bills. All time NFL leading scorer at time of retirement

Good one! So we have...

- Gary Anderson

- Vinny Testaverde

- Cedric Benson

- Justin Babin

- Steve Largent

- Thomas Jones

Steve Young was traded,

Jim Plunkett was traded.

Doug Williams left for USFL due to salary dispute with Bucs

Cris Carter led the Eagles with 11 TD catches but was cut because of drug/alcohol abuse by Buddy Ryan

This list MUST be longer....

Edited by cage

OK, I like the list so far... lets keep going. I'm going to keep Unitas off the list as it goes back too far before football operations were anywhere near as sophisticated

- Steve Young

- Doug Williams

- Vinny Testaverde

- Cedric Benson

How about Wes Welker. Wasn't he cut by the team that drafted him?

Some old timers will take offense to this but I'd really like to only consider the past decade or 2. I just think it's so incredibly different now for GM's, who have to deal with media and social media, where literally everyone has a voice and any mistake is compounded by twitter and message boards like this. And they also have access to tremendous amounts of resources. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like it was easier to be wrong about a guy back in the 70's and 80's.

Rex Grossman has a shot of being that success. I can't think of anyone else besides Benson. But Benson wasn't dismissed because he didn't have the talent. I'd love to pick out guys who were dismissed because they were completely given up on, like Maybin.

Excellent point...

Thomas Jones was the 7th pick in the draft and a bust in AZ his first 3 years. He was a stud in Chi and for the Jets.

Also, Mike Williams was a top 15 pick and out of the league and fat until Pete Carroll resurrected his career last year where he was a pretty darn good player.

There is actually quite a few first round players that never found success with the team that drafted them but went onto success elsewhere. Gets even bigger if you factor the 2nd round too.

How about Wes Welker. Wasn't he cut by the team that drafted him?

Welker was traded. He was an RFA as well, Dolphins did not want to give him up.

Thomas Jones was the 7th pick in the draft and a bust in AZ his first 3 years. He was a stud in Chi and for the Jets.

Also, Mike Williams was a top 15 pick and out of the league and fat until Pete Carroll resurrected his career last year where he was a pretty darn good player.

There is actually quite a few first round players that never found success with the team that drafted them but went onto success elsewhere. Gets even bigger if you factor the 2nd round too.

I'll add Jones,... Mike Williams is still TBD whether he should qualify.

On your last paragraph, go ahead and list them. The common perception is that its commonplace, but I think what we're finding here quickly is that its really NOT so...

This is a really good one. I really didn't see it happening for him, but low and behold, he's doing big things in Seattle.

This is probably the best possible example.

Thanks for your reply but I think I was wrong I think that Plunket was drafted in the 1st round by the Patriots not the 49er's :oops: Sorry for the mistake.

Edited by shadowcat10

I was going to say thomas Jones as well.

How about Leonard Davis...he was drafted in the top 5 as a Tackle by Arizona, then went on to be an All-Pro Guard for the Cowboys.

Thanks for your reply but I think I was wrong I think that Plunket was drafted in the 1st round by the Patriots not the 49er's :oops: Sorry for the mistake.

We seem to be running out of steam, here's the official list as it stands now...

- Thomas Jones

- Justin Babin

- Cedric Benson

- Leonard Davis

- Gary Anderson

- Vinny Testaverde

- Steve Largent

Seven total players. ONLY 4 guys on it that were drafted since 2000?? Can that be right?

How about Mario Haggan, cut loose by Bills and starting in Denver??

Edited by cage

A few weeks ago there was a discussion that prompted the following question... What NFL players, any team, have been a BUST on team #1 and then became a SUCCESS on team #2?

Lets define BUST as someone who was drafted by team #1 and cut loose after 1-3 years as a failure. NOT people who were traded, left via free agency or were cut in a salary cap move.

Lets define SUCCESS as someone who became a multi-year starter (off/def) or at least 1 Pro Bowl... NOT special teams stand-outs.

I'm having trouble coming up with any from any team...

Cedric Benson, Bears to Bengals. Jim Plunket also

I think you should also add Ricky Williams to the list. While he was not a bust per say in NO, he was a disappointment. Then he left the game suddenly and was able to come back and be a good player again after so many years away.

Jimmy Smith was a 2nd round draft pick too who was a bust in 2 years in Dallas and went on to be a stud in Jax.

Trent Dilfer should be on your list given he went from a being a huge bust to a SB winning QB in Balt and was solid, not great, but solid. Still a massive turn around after he disastrous start in TB.

Jason Babin was a bust with Houston

Donte Stalworth was pretty much a bust in NO then went to Phi and lit it up with McNabb until he stupidly left for NE via FA to vanish back into irrelevancy and murder. Still, he never lived up to expectations in NO and exploded out (when healthy) in Phi.

Kyle Vanden Bosch was a bust in AZ and became a stud as soon as he got to Tenn

Edited by Alphadawg7

Yeah, he was drafted by the Pats--- looking back, he actually played pretty well for some very bad teams. By the standards of the day, he was considered a bust and his Super Bowl seasons and SB MVP years (atarting at age 33!) with the Raiders were looked upon as a Phoneix-like rebirth, which on it's face, seemed to be what the OP was looking for. I still think Plunkett is a very good example of Bust-to-Star (although his bust status ultimately hinges on the fact that he played for very bad teams in NE and SF). I'm not certain it matters whether he was traded or cut, IMHO.

Edited by Punch

I think you should also add Ricky Williams to the list. While he was not a bust per say in NO, he was a disappointment. Then he left the game suddenly and was able to come back and be a good player again after so many years away.

Jimmy Smith was a 2nd round draft pick too who was a bust in 2 years in Dallas and went on to be a stud in Jax.

Trent Dilfer should be on your list given he went from a being a huge bust to a SB winning QB in Balt and was solid, not great, but solid. Still a massive turn around after he disastrous start in TB.

Jason Babin was a bust with Houston

Donte Stalworth was pretty much a bust in NO then went to Phi and lit it up with McNabb until he stupidly left for NE via FA to vanish back into irrelevancy and murder. Still, he never lived up to expectations in NO and exploded out (when healthy) in Phi.

Kyle Vanden Bosch was a bust in AZ and became a stud as soon as he got to Tenn

Ricky Williams was major trade to Dolphins for 4 draft picks

Jimmy Smith is a good one!

Trent Dilfer left as a free agent. He led Bucs to playoffs and twice threw over 20 TD passes while there

Donte Stallworth was traded from NO for a player and a 4th pick

Kyle Vanden Bosch is a good one!

So our post 1990 list stands at...

- Thomas Jones

- Justin Babin

- Cedric Benson

- Leonard Davis

- Jimmy Smith

- Kyle Vanden Bosch

...any others?

Edited by cage

Ricky Williams was major trade to Dolphins for 4 draft picks

Jimmy Smith is a good one!

Trent Dilfer left as a free agent. He led Bucs to playoffs and twice threw over 20 TD passes while there

Donte Stallworth was traded from NO for a player and a 4th pick

Kyle Vanden Bosch is a good one!

Why should it matter how they left though? If a team gives up on them and trades them out isnt that the same thing? Thought the more important part of this conversation was players with high draft status that did not live up to it with the team that drafted them and went on to have success elsewhere. Saying they only had to be cut is really limiting the depth of this conversation. There is more than one way to part with a busted draft pick...dont resign him when his contract is up, cut him out right, or trade him. Just don't see where the relevance is in only looking at cut players.

Your definition of "bust" is severely flawed to answer the question you originally asked at the top of your OP but saying only guys you get cut. Plenty of busts get traded or leave when FA's. Nit picking on how they left the team completely skews the results. If you want to know how many players bust then go onto have success with another team, then you have to accept any way they left the team. Just my 2 cents...

And NO traded an entire draft to get Ricky and got no where near that value back.

Edited by Alphadawg7