Can a bust on one team be a star on another?

cage

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't read all the above posts but Steve Tasker jumps to my mind. Cut and left for dead, Polian had a hunch.

As mentioned upthread, he wasn't 'cut.' He was put on waivers so that he could be reactivated from the injured reserve list.

He wasn't left for dead by Houston. The Eulers were actually quite pissed that the Bills claimed him.

Antowain Smith doesn't fit in this group (same as McGahee, Travis Henry, Donte Whitner) because they were servicable players, maybe even decent or good. However, they were ultimately let go in some fashion and went on to other teams. Maybe they played a little better or worse - but they were still servicable. They didn't go from bust to star. Yes Antowain won couple of Super Bowls, but NE didn't win because of him.

Now if Aaron Maybin becomes a star - that would be a story because he was a bust here. Ditto for McCargo, Walt Patulski, Cousineau, Losman, Erik Flowers, OL Mike Williams, Tony Hunter, Perry Tuttle, Terry Miller (more like a one year wonder), Phil Dokes, Tom Ruud (& Steve Nelson in Rd 2 too!!), and Al Cowlings - these were just the 1st rounders!!

Great post - I am sure there are quite a few - a real head scratcher - this link will help if someone really wants to dig - I just looked at our beloved Bills.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=0610&type=roundbyteam

Filter by team and start digging!!

Jake Delhomme--he wasn't cut, but he wasn't re-signed by the Saints and he signed as a free agent with the Panthers.

Kurt Warner is another, he was undrafted, was released/cut by Packers in training camp, bagged groceries, played arena football, then went onto become a Super Bowl MVP.

Antowain Smith doesn't fit in this group (same as McGahee, Travis Henry, Donte Whitner) because they were servicable players, maybe even decent or good. However, they were ultimately let go in some fashion and went on to other teams. Maybe they played a little better or worse - but they were still servicable. They didn't go from bust to star. Yes Antowain won couple of Super Bowls, but NE didn't win because of him.

Now if Aaron Maybin becomes a star - that would be a story because he was a bust here. Ditto for McCargo, Walt Patulski, Cousineau, Losman, Erik Flowers, OL Mike Williams, Tony Hunter, Perry Tuttle, Terry Miller (more like a one year wonder), Phil Dokes, Tom Ruud (& Steve Nelson in Rd 2 too!!), and Al Cowlings - these were just the 1st rounders!!

Great post - I am sure there are quite a few - a real head scratcher - this link will help if someone really wants to dig - I just looked at our beloved Bills.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=0610&type=roundbyteam

Filter by team and start digging!!

I think the conclusion is forming rapidly. Second chances aren't nearly as prevalent as people have thought on previous posts. There just aren't that many examples of successful 2nd chances in the NFL.

Cast-offs from the Patriots, Steeler, Ravens and other good teams won't necessarily make it on the Bills, Bungles or Lions... pretty much when a player gets cut by his original team in his first 1-3 years it means that he's not cut out for the NFL...period! It NOT that the Bills or other original team suck at developing talent. So don't bother signing those kinds of guys.

The examples of this that come to mind in our starting line-up are Chandler (TE), Ubrik (RG) and Pears (RT). The bold prediction based on this exercise is that they won't work out. Neither will Buster Davis. They shouldn't keep him over any of the other WRs they selected themselves.

Edited by cage

As mentioned upthread, he wasn't 'cut.' He was put on waivers so that he could be reactivated from the injured reserve list.

He wasn't left for dead by Houston. The Eulers were actually quite pissed that the Bills claimed him.

Ah so Polian wasn't concerned with upsetting his fellow admins. in Houston.. Good thing

Bills gave up on second round pick John Parrella after one season, played for 12 years with San Diego and Oakland.

good one, I'll add that!

Still struggling to identify 10 players since 1990 that fit the criteria.

Edited by cage

A couple recent examples:

> Peyton Hillis: He was part of the Brady Quinn trade, so he wasn't cut. But the Broncos had him relegated to 3rd-4th string on the depth chart. After his season last year, he is on the Madden cover.

> Cedric Benson: As someone already stated...

> Brandon Lloyd: Was a bust for a couple teams actually, before having a Pro Bowl season last year.

> James Harrison: Was actually cut by the Steelers, signed and cut by the Ravens, then became one of the top defensive players in football.

Not too many players that I could think of.

I think the moral of the story is... either somebody can play football, or they can't. Changing teams isn't usually going to make a huge difference.

Metzelars was a waiver pickup I believe also I believe the Bills lost Martin Mayhew in the whole Plan B thing but he became a pretty good safety. Bo Jackson was drafted 1st by the Bucs refused to sign then was drafted in the 7th round by the Raiders I dont know if that qualifies. I like both Jags recievers and Qb Brunell. I think the biggest one I can think of is Kerry Collins huge disapointment with Carolina became a pretty god QB also Derek Anderson just for a year.

Welker was traded. He was an RFA as well, Dolphins did not want to give him up.

Welker was originally an UDFA with the Chargers in '04, made the team out of training camp, and then was cut after week 1; Then the Fins picked him up. Hard to call an UDFA a bust, but wanted to make sure the record was straight.

SSDD

It would be interesting to see a perfect fit to the original post. 1st rounder who was actually cut and then went on to play at an all star level elsewhere. A couple of early ones that come close to fitting were hall of fame quarterbacks Bobby Layne and Y.A. Tittle.

Metzelars was a waiver pickup I believe also I believe the Bills lost Martin Mayhew in the whole Plan B thing but he became a pretty good safety. Bo Jackson was drafted 1st by the Bucs refused to sign then was drafted in the 7th round by the Raiders I dont know if that qualifies. I like both Jags recievers and Qb Brunell. I think the biggest one I can think of is Kerry Collins huge disapointment with Carolina became a pretty god QB also Derek Anderson just for a year.

Metz was a straight up trade for Byron Franklin.

Mayhew doesn't count.

Didn't read all the above posts but Steve Tasker jumps to my mind. Cut and left for dead, Polian had a hunch.

Steve Tasker is the number one rags to riches player. Cut by the Houston Oilers. Picked up by Buffalo. Should be at the top af the list.