Most Impressed...

There are some guys that are you expect to play at a high level, but I've noticed a few unheralded guys that have really stepped up and impressed me this pre-season...

Spencer Johnson - This guy has been around for a while, but he has never looked like this. He has wowed me all 3 games so far, even against starters. He seems to be involved in every play, either providing pressure, making tackles down field, or batting down passes. Where has this guy been? He definitely deserves his playing time on the line, this is great because it frees up Carrington to make a run at the LB position. Dareus looks great, but he is big and won't be on the field every down.

Erik Pears - I'll admit I was very skeptical about Pears early in camp (still am a little). No other team has wanted to keep this guy on their roster, even as a backup. However, he is the ONLY guy on the line who hasn't really been beat badly and has been the most consistent guy on the OL. If he continues this play in the regular season, I will be happy to admit I was wrong. Bell is definitely the scarier of the two...

Batten - I'm not ready to crown him a star yet, but he has looked very solid so far. So if/when Merriman goes down with an injury, I would feel very comfortable with him stepping in.

Carrington - He's big, he's athletic, he's making an impact. He could make a run at the starting OLB spot for all the Kelsey haters...

Heard - It seems like he is a on the outside looking in to make the team...Too bad, this guy is huge, he plays strong and aggressive. He really stands out when he is on the field. I hope he makes it.

Who else should be on this list? I didn't mention guys like Dareus, KW, Merriman,... because they were expected to be good.

Just for good measure I have to include a few guys who are under acheiving. Torrell Troup has been invisible on the football field, and opposing 2nd string o-lines push him around at will **edit** as some have mentioned he is playing with an injury, so judging him on this preseason is a little unfair. He looked the same last year though, luckily we are deep on the DL. McKelvin struggles as a starter, it's as simple as that.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Good post, I think troups hand injury kinda sucks for him. Hes in a position where hands are pretty important and hes got a big fat club right now. I felt like kelsay has played fairly well in what I've seen, I know hes not the most popular guy on the roster and he doesnt fit the 3-4. But he works hard and when they throw the 4 down lineman, with dareus and williams down there, he can make plays.

There are some guys that are you expect to play at a high level, but I've noticed a few unheralded guys that have really stepped up and impressed me this pre-season...

Spencer Johnson - This guy has been around for a while, but he has never looked like this. He has wowed me all 3 games so far, even against starters. He seems to be involved in every play, either providing pressure, making tackles down field, or batting down passes. Where has this guy been? He definitely deserves his playing time on the line, this is great because it frees up Carrington to make a run at the LB position. Dareus looks great, but he is big and won't be on the field every down.

Erik Pears - I'll admit I was very skeptical about Pears early in camp (still am a little). No other team has wanted to keep this guy on their roster, even as a backup. However, he is the ONLY guy on the line who hasn't really been beat badly and has been the most consistent guy on the OL. If he continues this play in the regular season, I will be happy to admit I was wrong. Bell is definitely the scarier of the two...

Batten - I'm not ready to crown him a star yet, but he has looked very solid so far. So if/when Merriman goes down with an injury, I would feel very comfortable with him stepping in.

Carrington - He's big, he's athletic, he's making an impact. He could make a run at the starting OLB spot for all the Kelsey haters...

Heard - It seems like he is a on the outside looking in to make the team...Too bad, this guy is huge, he plays strong and aggressive. He really stands out when he is on the field. I hope he makes it.

Who else should be on this list? I didn't mention guys like Dareus, KW, Merriman,... because they were expected to be good.

Just for good measure I have to include a few guys who are under acheiving. Torrell Troup has been invisible on the football field, and opposing 2nd string o-lines push him around at will. Luckily we are deep on the DL. McKelvin struggles as a starter, it's as simple as that.

Great post! I agree with your assessments regarding everyone except Troup. I think he's been OK but the hand-club has got to be awkward and screwing with his technique/performance. Wouldn't be too worried about him.

Regarding Spencer Johnson, he just looks like a man who knows he plays for a team perhaps looking to cut some higher-price vets. Playing starter-quality minutes right now. Looks quick too. Very impressed.

Good post, I think troups hand injury kinda sucks for him. Hes in a position where hands are pretty important and hes got a big fat club right now. I felt like kelsay has played fairly well in what I've seen, I know hes not the most popular guy on the roster and he doesnt fit the 3-4. But he works hard and when they throw the 4 down lineman, with dareus and williams down there, he can make plays.

Thats true, the injury to Troup does give him a little bit of a pass. For the record I am NOT a Kelsey hater, he is decent and took way too much blame for the awful D last year in his FIRST EVER try at OLB. It looks like that spot will probably be a rotation of Carrington and Kelsey, looks like a good mix.

I'd say your assesments are right not. I'd add Dotson to that list. He is looking strong like Heard. Although I wuldnt be suprised if both were cuts. It's hard to say it after only one good game and week of practice but I'd also add Easley to the list.

Just for good measure I have to include a few guys who are under acheiving. Torrell Troup has been invisible on the football field, and opposing 2nd string o-lines push him around at will **edit** as some have mentioned he is playing with an injury, so judging him on this preseason is a little unfair. He looked the same last year though, luckily we are deep on the DL. McKelvin struggles as a starter, it's as simple as that.

GREAT POST .... I am with you on this list although not as big of a Heard fan but I paid close attention to the right side of our line during the Jacksonville game and Pears continues to look good but Urbik has apparently picked up his game some too. I am not a Kelsay hater although I don't think he can cover pass routes but Carrington looks as great as I thought he would coming out of college ... he would not be a surprise started on Sept. 11th.

Andra Davis has been a pleasant surprise to me. Perhaps we didn't see enough of him last year but I like what he has shown. Frankly, I like what I have seen of Terrence McGee this summer too ... a lot of people are ready to jettison him but he has game left.

Now, our draft picks all have tremendous upsides ... can't wait to see them make the line up and have been impressed with most of them.

excellent analysis! thanks :worthy:

Spencer Johnson - Had a hell of a year last year until he got hurt.

Pears - I was wrong about him too, although what if he gets hurt?

Batten - has energy and is athletic, but lights out is way too dominant to replace....if merriman can play, it'll be a fun year.

carrington - looks awesome just standing there! I wish he showed a little more quicks, but I'm excited about him fer sure.

Heard - someone please correct me if I am wrong, but Heard had that outstanding game against da bears where he looked like he should be starting and then, sadly, was injured right after that, probably monday,and hasn't played since. I haven't even read what he injured but someone put a light on this for me please.

I thought Hairston's first game was a huge success, after hearing he was having a bad camp especially. He looks tough and mean to me, and I love that.

It is too bad about Troup, I wanted to watch him closely this year to see if he really improved after all the offseason hype, as he looked pretty poor his rookie year.

Spiller - he looks improved to me, he maybe needs to run lower still, as to not let anyone get under his pads. I think that is how he gets into trouble with ball security and injuries. He's gunna break a few this year! Plus, have less negative plays.

As far as anyone else... nope, maybe the FA LBs, but I get them mixed up, one will make the practice squad i do believe. I have to watch the bills-jags game more, but I think you nailed the camp risers list.

nice positive post! I like it!

Go Bills!

Great topic. I agree with all the guys you list except Heard. I haven't noticed him since the first PS game when he really stood out (though in the 3rd and 4th quarters). I've read good things about his in TBD though, so hope he makes the PS. With his size, he looks to me like a better alternative to Jasper for the PS.

I would add Merriman to this list. I was not expecting him to look so good, especially right out of the gate. Wow, I'm impressed!

Also very pleasantly surprised by Roosevelt in camp, and Aiken's progress.

Nice post... The secondary has looked suspect to me at all 4 spots. Front D 7 has depth like we've not seen in over a decade. Add Fitz to the impressive list. Even with the instability in WR (Parrish, Easley, Jones injury, Evans trade, etc) he looks more confident and accurate then i can remember. Nice touch on deep balls to Freddie and Johnson...

The D has been where the most standouts have been, as evidenced by Turbo's quality analysis. On O, I've gotta say that the last game showed the Aiken can be a more than viable WR, Easley may be ready to get close to the expectations set out before him and the combo of Fitzy and Stevie is going to be dangerous on more than a few nights. Urbik has definitely improved in strength and technique and the right side of the line is far better than expected with him and Pears. I am, however, gonna miss Hangman when he gets cut for financial (finances, we talkin 'bout finances with Ralph?) reasons.

To throw in a couple of players to the list

TE Chandler......this is the type of tight end I want on my roster....he can get open...he is a huge target.....he has good hands.....he can block...but it isnt just about the "cans" its that he "does it" there are a lot of players in the league that look the part then the bullets start flying and they disappear....Chandler does not.

WR Easley.....its a little early to start a Eric Moulds comparison....but the more you throw at Easley the better he gets......and Moulds was a dissapointment right up until they decided he was going to be "the guy" then became one of the best wide receivers in Bills history

Easley is a guy who could go either way right now....you can see it in his eyes....even HE doesnt know how good he is. Just keep feeding him the ball and keep letting his confidence grow....because this guy could be a monster for us.

Nice assessment turbo. It's funny how our "strength" the last 2-3 years seems to be one if our weaker links. While I love our secondary, they are now over shadowed by our DL and LBs. McGee has long been one of my favorites and remains as such. Mckelvin is so physically gifted it's frustrating watching him struggle mentally. If he can turn the corner on the mental side of the game, he can elevate our D to one of the leagues best. Our front 7 looks to be able to get pressure now. I hope mckelvin can learn to take advantage of that pressure and get some picks. His picks always have a chance to be 6 with his running skill. Florence looks to have bulked up, not that he needed it, but it could help vs the bigger WRs. That PI he had the other night wad one great play IMO. I feel our safeties biggest strength is in coverage and making big plays. None yet this preseason, but I think they'll come.

Just another spin on a unit that hasn't been discussed much.