At What Point Do Nix and Gailey Own This Team

I mean at what point are people going to hold them responsible for what's on the field? I see lots of mention how Jauron and Levy really screwed the pooch (and believe me, I thought Jauron was a terrible pick for a coach from day one), but you can't use the rebuilding excuse forever. The offensive line is utterly terrible, and yet nothing was done in this offseason to improve it. I recognize the focus on the defense, but the OL is the single most important building block in football. To ignore the need for improvement there is unconscionable. Dareus clearly has the potential to be a monster, but it is hard to cite any other quality draft pick from Nix in two years. Spiller was unneeded and may well be a bust to boot. Last year's team was worse than the year before, and this year's team is likely worse than last year's. Hard to argue the team is headed in the right direction.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion next season they will either be praised for turning things around or criticized for failure, which I think is fair. Three drafts and three opportunities at free agency should be enough to turn any franchise around if the people in charge are competent.

I honestly don't think it really matters, although I agree with what you are saying.

Ralph is just gonna ride this thing into the sunset, and call it a day.

P.S. NEXT year they will start to address the O-line and that will be another excuse for "patience".

I mean at what point are people going to hold them responsible for what's on the field? I see lots of mention how Jauron and Levy really screwed the pooch (and believe me, I thought Jauron was a terrible pick for a coach from day one), but you can't use the rebuilding excuse forever. The offensive line is utterly terrible, and yet nothing was done in this offseason to improve it. I recognize the focus on the defense, but the OL is the single most important building block in football. To ignore the need for improvement there is unconscionable. Dareus clearly has the potential to be a monster, but it is hard to cite any other quality draft pick from Nix in two years. Spiller was unneeded and may well be a bust to boot. Last year's team was worse than the year before, and this year's team is likely worse than last year's. Hard to argue the team is headed in the right direction.

I think you are wrong in that this years team will be better than last year. I don't disagree with not addressing the o-line but keep in mind how bad gb and Pitt's lines have been and the success they've had. (No I'm not saying we are that good) I am however saying our line might not neccesarily crush us.

Looking at it from a team perspective, they own it now. As much as I was glad to see the end of the Levy/Jauron era, it's beginning to look like the good ole days. The teams were better than what we are seeing now, though that's not saying much. We were always a 7-9 team. I was glad to the change from Levy/Jauron but I can't say I didn't have a few WTF moments when I heard Nix and Gailey were the new GM and HC. In fairness when Nix and Gailey would make decisions I would talk myself into thinking that we should give them a fair shot and they were making the right decisions......The fact of the matter is they are not very aggressive in making personnel moves to make the team better. You don't just build through the draft, you build anyway you can. This should be a make or break year because we will clearly see what direction they are taking the team. I'm not saying that they should win the Superbowl but I at least expect to see a better product than what Levy and Jauron have put on the field and so far I haven't.

Edited by VADC Bills

I think that after 3 years the picture should be clear enough. I thought they drafted well this year but we will have to see yet. I dont think that last years draft was that bad because of the Spiller pick. I too had enough with the rb picks, but the top 2 Offensive and top 2 Defensive linemen were taken. So, if the took any linemen in that spot the would be reaching for that player. Not too mention Spiller did contribute 1600 total yards, 2 TDs, and 2 tackles.

As far as the team being worst tough call. I think that there schedule was harder, the offense was better but the defense was worst. Since they put most of the resources into the defense we better see a real improvement on D. After next year if we dont see the sings of rebuilding being over it time to put the Bills in more capable hands.

You don't just build through the draft, you build anyway you can.

Here's the problem though. How do they build any other way? From what I've heard, they have pursued a bunch of big name free agents but haven't been able to land them; who wants to play for Buffalo? Also, I can't imagine trades would make the team much better. Our top talent isn't yielding much in return, just look at what they got for Evans and Lynch. Nix and Gailey need to start winning first before they are going to be able to attract any big names. Once they are winning a bit more, the talent on the team will be better trade bait also. Building through the draft is pretty much their only option right now.

Edited by kdub

Next year. They inherited an absolute disaster and certainly deserve a 3 year tryout.

They seem to have done a pretty good job of addressing some major holes on D through the draft and free agency the past 2 years. This year they have to make a decision on Fitzpatrick and either pay up if he earns it or draft a stud QB. They obviously also have to address the OL next off-season as well. I actually think they are doing a good job of patiently building something from nothing so far.

I honestly don't think it really matters, although I agree with what you are saying.

Ralph is just gonna ride this thing into the sunset, and call it a day.

P.S. NEXT year they will start to address the O-line and that will be another excuse for "patience".

ONE THOUSAND PERCENT CORRECT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The approach of getting bigger and stronger in the trenches on d is good. That philosophy is not apparent on the other side of the ball where the tackles continue to be a perennial unadressed weakness.

If they could upgrade the o-line the way they were able to upgrade the d-line this offseason than they would be such a better football team. we can only hope they're smart enough to do that

Here's the problem though. How do they build any other way? From what I've heard, they have pursued a bunch of big name free agents but haven't been able to land them; who wants to play for Buffalo? Also, I can't imagine trades would make the team much better. Our top talent isn't yielding much in return, just look at what they got for Evans and Lynch. Nix and Gailey need to start winning first before they are going to be able to attract any big names. Once they are winning a bit more, the talent on the team will be better trade bait also. Building through the draft is pretty much their only option right now.

this is such a BS argument

The Bills had 2 NFL caliber OL on their roster 2 years ago in Incognito and Scott - both of whom are light years better than what we have

yet, the Bills chose not make them offers

Incognito was a RFA who had no choice but to play for the Bills

I have been a loyal Bills fan for about twenty years now, since I started watching football with any real interest, and playing it, in junior high. This last stretch of 15 years has tried my patience. I was surely spoiled with the Kelly, Thomas, Levy years, but it hasn't been the duration of failure that has tried me, so much as the general implications that emerge from One Bills Drive, and have been consistent regardless of who has been in control, or who has been the coach. I'm speaking of the mentality that because the Bills are in western NY, because it is a "small" market, we simply cannot be expected to be as competitive as other NFL teams. I mean, this organization has all but plainly said, "Fans cannot and should not expect a winning team, nor should they expect ownership to spend all that is allowed to be spent on personnel to maximize the quality of talent and competition on this team. Furthermore, ownership will not spend any more than is necessary on coaching. In all, the Bills will have to win with inexpensive coaches and a roster that is devoid of comptetively paid talent while maintaining a salary cap far below what other franchises will spend. It's profit first, and if the fans don't like it, and they stop supporting the team, then it will be moved." That is the attitude that I'm tired of. I'd rather not support a team that has no real intent on trying, with all it's resources, to win. It is a mockery as it stands.

Don't tell me if they weren't winning and playing very good football that there would still be a difference in income between the Bills and most other NFL franchises - that is crap. A good, well coached team that is winning year in and out will have fans across the globe spending money on merchandise and supporting the team.

Anyway, I tried to like other teams, teams that I intellectually admired for the way their organizations were run, and I couldn't watch football, or care about it, if it weren't for the Bills. It is the Bills or nothing.

So, I'm thinking, if Nix and Gailey are really in year two of a rebuild they envisioned, or set out to accomplish, in three years - and, there's no way they didn't make a plan and estimate how many seasons it would take to make it to the playoffs and to compete for a championship; at this level of the game, I'm sure coaches have to have real goals and be held somewhat accountable for the success or failure. Anyway, if it were three years they estimated, then that means they believe they can go into next year's offseason and come away with a franchise QB, probably a starting LT and either a RT, RG, or one of the two. That isn't even getting into solid depth on the O-line. They'll probably be looking for a LB, too, and mabye they'll be looking to upgrade a spot in the secondary and WR - and that depends on how this year pans out. We might be looking at needing a couple LB's next year. Maybe a TE.

The point is, it isn't going to happen all in one offseason. That'll be year three hearing that line. But, I would imagine you'd like to have your young, 1st round QB playing behind an experienced, reliable line. So, if they get their guy at QB, they probably aren't going to have the picks to wrap up the line, not to mention the other areas. It'll push us into 2013, and then we'll be looking at replacing some of the guys that were rookies two years ago.

Anyway, even if all goes well and they get lucky in the drafts, we aren't going to see a deep, stacked team for another two years - and that is if they don't make mistakes. If they don't start using FA, and if they don't start bringing in better players at these critical positions, we'll be looking at another rebuild before this one ever gets finished. That is why I would like to see some urgency out of them next year. Go get the future QB. Go fix the O-line. Wilson ought to be embarrassed by this mess, but instead we see Gailey frustratingly embarrassed by this team, when it's obvious he wanted better guys to work with, and is doing what he can with what he can.

I think you are wrong in that this years team will be better than last year. I don't disagree with not addressing the o-line but keep in mind how bad gb and Pitt's lines have been and the success they've had. (No I'm not saying we are that good) I am however saying our line might not neccesarily crush us.

That is not a good argument....Rothelisberger and Rodgers are light years better than Fitz. They can mask some of the OL problems with their ability to make plays...not throw floating ducks...Plus both teams have an outstanding defense and HOF caliber Defensive Coordinators....Something those teams can lean on when the offense does not show. The Bills are not anywhere in their league in any of the above aspects....

You guys can keep paroting the same thing over and over and over......it wont make it true

Nix has had exactly TWO DRAFTS....one set of which we have not even seen an a NFL game yet.....

In his first draft he went pretty heavily on Defense......ditto in his second year. I find it interesting that all people every do is B word about not addressing the lines.....yet Nix has turned several high draft picks towards just that....the defensive line.

People complain about not addressing the O line....you only have so many picks with which to address it......and for all of the bitching about bringing in a RT I am not convinced that anyone other then Clabo and perhaps Colon would have even been a upgrade over Pears....who right now is probably our most consistant offensive linemen.....

It is to early to do this bitching about Gailey and Nix...they deserve this season before bringing out the pitchforks and torches.......remember.....ONE DRAFT that can be evaluated....that is all you have right now

Merriman could be a good start. I think an offensive player with some swagger (perhaps Stevie emerges) would go a long way. Send guys to the probowl and they become friends with probowlers, guys see them on espn Sunday night.... Suddenly a guy like Barnett wants to play with lights out. Keep drafting well and you start winning. Culture takes time to change.