Jerry Sullivan on WGR this morning

Calm down Scrap

What I am trying to say here is that rather then "biuld through the draft" like the Bills are doing they are going out and getting talent in other ways. I am not saying they aren't doing a good just just they arent relying heavily on the draft to biuld the sabers team.

OK but you need to stop trying to defend everything that's negative.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At some point people have to recognize that "build through the draft" is a smokescreen that the Bills are using to take the focus off a crappy product. A team can build through the draft if it devotes the resources to scouting and can be trusted to draft players who will be consistent producers. That team also needs to retain the players it drafted, and draft for other needs than to replace drafted players who have departed.

But since the Bills are batting under 500 with their drafts and an even worse record when it comes to the top picks, then Bills version of "build through the draft" just etches mediocrity in stone.

Buddy Nix has had EXACTLY TWO drafts in order to effect change on this team......shouldnt he at least get till the end of this year before passing judgement on him?

Look...I get it....the team has been bad for a while....too long....but you cannot blame the 2nd year GM for past mistakes of OTHER GM's.......you could blame the owner I guess.

At some point people have to recognize that "build through the draft" is a smokescreen that the Bills are using to take the focus off a crappy product. A team can build through the draft if it devotes the resources to scouting and can be trusted to draft players who will be consistent producers. That team also needs to retain the players it drafted, and draft for other needs than to replace drafted players who have departed.

But since the Bills are batting under 500 with their drafts and an even worse record when it comes to the top picks, then Bills version of "build through the draft" just etches mediocrity in stone.

:thumbsup:

They'll fall back on the fact that their franchise is worth $800 million and they're still making money. Yeah, the Bills would be really embarrassed. :rolleyes:

The Sabres have really turned it around since going bankrupt, and when the Bills get a new owner the very same process may take shape. Until then, all we have in the words of Alexandre Dumas is to "wait and hope".

Fair enough on your Calbo point. I didn't know that the Bills offered him more...

As to your point about ownership, Pegula hasn't proven anything yet. Maybe the Sabres will turn out to be the new Redskins; I don't know and I don't really care. I do know that the Bills don't spend enough on players. I'd like to do a survey to see how many of our starters are making the league minimum salary (or close to it?) compared to the rest of the league. Think about it, both our starting receivers, both of our starting offensive tackles and our starting right guard, are making the league minium. That's just not good enough when you're 25 million under the cap... Our QB is due for an extension and it doesn't look like he's going to get one; Fitz is still making backup QB money even though they've committed to him as a starter. The whole offense reeks of cheapness. We'll never know for certain why Evans was traded, but I share Drayton Florence's opinion: it clearly doesn't make the team any better for this year. Would you honestly be surprised if Ralph told Nix to cut him to save the three million he was due? I wouldn't put it past the old man, that's for sure... I don't like when Sullivan lays into Nix, since it's too soon to judge whether he's been successful. However, any and all criticism of Ralph is warranted at this point... Bashing him is getting old, but it's undeniable that he's been the one constant during this decade long disaster...

they offered him more (apparently) then what Atlanta offered, but it was enough for him to be comfortable to stay where where he was and not have to uproot his young new family accross the country to Buffalo. its actually refreshing to see an athlete turn down a bigger deal and accept one to stay where they are instead of chasing the bigger deal for a couple more million.

Who should the Bills have thrown all of this extra money at to play tackle? Who is out there worth millions still available that doesn't have injury/weight/attitude issues?

And enough with the comparisons to Pegula, all he has done so far is come in and throw money around. So far we have not seen any changes in the team at this point because they haven't even played a game. The guy doesn't care if the team makes money or not, he just wants to win. He is a fan who is lucky enough to have the money to own the team. Weither this is a good or bad thing, its hard to say, but it hasn't worked out well for a similar kind of owner in the NFL Dan Snyder

and how often do you make sense? :D

Good point. :thumbsup:

Nobody here knows for sure what the Bills offered Clabo, so the "we had the best offer and he declined it" is nothing more than BS.

Is isn't like we didn't have the cap room to offer him more, his family meant more to him then the money he could of made is the common theory (however rare that is these days).

People love to hate Jerry bc he is so “negative” but he is really spot on. I didn’t hear the interview but the OPs summary is 100% accurate. I agree his articles aren’t the best, but I think he is great on the radio. It’s hard for any realist to disagree with him.

Nobody here knows for sure what the Bills offered Clabo, so the "we had the best offer and he declined it" is nothing more than BS.

There were rumors....that was it.

But to think that we didnt offer a competative offer to Clabo would be ridiculous as well....if we didnt offer competative money why would he even consider us?

Is isn't like we didn't have the cap room to offer him more, his family meant more to him then the money he could of made is the common theory (however rare that is these days).

I agree with this. We have tons of cap room so we dont have to worry about singing our guys, because we could overpay them all and still be OK. We can go out and resign elsay for 6 mil a year, and give Brad Smith 4 mil a year, and offered Clabo 5 mil a year.

I can honestly say I would prefer paying Clabo the 5 we offered him, AND Kelsays money AND B Smiths money than just those other two.

Give Clabo 15 mil a year for all I care - we would be better off.

Buddy Nix has had EXACTLY TWO drafts in order to effect change on this team......shouldnt he at least get till the end of this year before passing judgement on him?

Look...I get it....the team has been bad for a while....too long....but you cannot blame the 2nd year GM for past mistakes of OTHER GM's.......you could blame the owner I guess.

Hell, I'd be happy if we could wait till the end of the second game ..in the regular season.. before passing judgment, let alone the end of the season.

The decade of futility has definitely taken its toll on the fan base.

The OP did a excellent recap of the talk. I, for one, am a very harsh critic of Sullivan as I think he's a lazy journalist who gets by on being a corrosive radio idiot. (when he gets with Dope and the Lapdog, he's insufferable and I don't listen.) That said, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then and when Sullivan, despite his radio idiot schtick, says something accurate I have to give him that. His remarks this morning were hard not to agree with. You can certainly build through the draft but still bring in veteran talent to help in the short term (read: Barnett) and it's hard to justify a $4 mil gadget guy QB when your OL is arguably the worst in the league. Not all of Sullivan's blah, blah has credibility, but hey, I think he's right on this.

I agree .. I understand the Bills are. In "rebuild" mode. I also understand agree with theirnphilosophy to build through the draft. However, to not try to land suitble tackles on either side of the oline is a major error.

Just a note on offensive linemen ... there really were not a long list of job hunters of pro bowl quality out there looking for the big dollar contract. We tried to get Clabo and apparently it was between the Bills and his home town team where his family is settled and happy. Sully seems to jump on the 'rip and tear bandwagon rather than doing any real work.'

The Philadelphia Eagles Offensive line is giving them problems but they didn't sign anyone nor have they signed the guys floating around out there who used to be good.

I really am tired of Sully's invective negatisms ... I agree with some of his criticisms but Brad Smith didn't break the bank and prevent us from signing the non-existent OL stud player.Smith gives as a really strong offensive weapon who should be well worth the price we paid for him.

I think we should have gotten better than a 4th round pick for Evans and I am an Evans' fan but he wouldn't go over the middle plus Fitz is not going to be throwing long balls all day. It certainly seems like Gailey wants his receivers to do more than streak down the field. This is a chance to see if the receivers we have are as good as many of us believe ... if they aren't there are always wide out's on the market over pricing themselves for the pickings.

As for the "gadget" guys ... the only two I can think of that Nix has had the responsibility for drafting are Spiller and perhaps Jasper (if you want to call him a gadget; he is at least the largest unknown on the team). It has been rare to see rookie running backs become instantly amongst the best running backs in the league so I am willing to see what happens with the Spiller situation this season before casting judgment. Does Sully call Dareus a gadget pick? Williams?

And, as for Bell, trying to disregard the Denver fiasco for a moment, yes he is the best we have but in 2010 his blocking statistics for the 16 game season and his effectiveness put him right in the middle of the 32 LT's in the league in only his first full season playing the position. Yes, I would rather have two pro-bowl players at the tackles but this kid seems to be developing and I just hope Denver was a bad game for him because he was very efficient in the Chicago game.

The Eagles CB depth is so good that the players are already fighting amongst themselves for playing time and who is the number one guy on the team. This has all the potential of turning into a major team and locker room battle because you have three superstars trying to play two positions ... but with their poor linebacking corps and lack of safeties they can easliy cut a $2 million cb but still have defensive problems.

His second draft as GM, but let's not forget the 2009 draft when he was the top national scout. You can't say that he didn't have much input in that draft and only 8 months later elevate that man to the top football operations job.

You can give him the benefit of doubt that he's on the right track in building a new foundation. But you also can't ignore that he's still employed by Ralph Wilson, and that other people within OBD will always manage to screw up the rebuilding process because a player's salary is expendable. So while saving a million here and a million there is great for the bottom line, it is totally bush league in trying to build a roster. Whether it was cutting Langston Walker on the eve of the season or trading Lee last week, it's moves like that that give the coaching staff nightmares. Don't for a second believe that Gailey was pushing to have a key offensive weapon shipped out of town. You realize he now has to rework the entire passing game, with only two weeks left in the season and Stevie Johnson as the only "veteran" of the bunch.

Saturday's game could very well have been Gailey's experiment to see which player will stand out of the muck, or it could have been a not so subtle signal from Gailey to the front office to get some more bodies on that roster.