Cam Newton better be good

If other teams draft picks don't turn out to be pro bowlers, I will lose ALL faith in the Bills front office. I thought that the Rams pick of Sam Bradford really spoke volumes about Nix's talent evaluation. If he didn't pick Newton and Newton turns out to suck, I will be totally disillusioned with the Bills.

Edited by Jauronimo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not the premise of your thread or statements.

Wow, you are bad at this simple logic stuff.

To play along, Steve Young wasnt great in Tampa Bay. Brett Favre wasnt great in Atlanta. McNabb was very good with his first team, and horrible in DC. None of this means anything though...

Brett Favre was a rookie who didn't play & was traded for a 1st round pick. Young is much better logic, but he was still traded for picks. Busts get released, not traded for high picks.

So I'll ask again-name me an outright bust QB drafted in the 1st or 2nd round who failed in one place & thrived elsewhere. You can't answer that one because there are none.

PS: an over the hill player on his last legs, like McNabb isn't a bust.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

No NFL talent evaluators bat a thousand. Whether Nix is right or not about Newton or anyone else he liked but didn't draft doesn't mean much. I really hope he's right about the guys we did draft.

I heard Ron Wolf (who got the Pack to the SB twice) say that his draft strategy was to hopefully get one Pro Bowl guy out of each draft. If the 1st rounder was a bust but the 4th rounder got invited to Hawaii, it was a good draft. Two Pro Bowlers would make it a great draft.

Wolf says he wasn't interested much in role players. You'll find those guys either in the draft or free agency. You need some but they don't make you a winner. You need at least one impact player out of every draft.

Did we get one last year? This year?

Assuming the rumors on the Bills being high on Newton were correct, Newton better not be a bust for the simple reason that if he does bust, how much confidence can you put in our front office, whose predessors' records leave a lot to be desired.

So if players the Bills DON"T draft suck, it's still our FO fault??

No NFL talent evaluators bat a thousand. Whether Nix is right or not about Newton or anyone else he liked but didn't draft doesn't mean much. I really hope he's right about the guys we did draft.

I heard Ron Wolf (who got the Pack to the SB twice) say that his draft strategy was to hopefully get one Pro Bowl guy out of each draft. If the 1st rounder was a bust but the 4th rounder got invited to Hawaii, it was a good draft. Two Pro Bowlers would make it a great draft.

Wolf says he wasn't interested much in role players. You'll find those guys either in the draft or free agency. You need some but they don't make you a winner. You need at least one impact player out of every draft.

Did we get one last year? This year?

While what Wolf says is very true, I don't think many Bills fans equate finding Jason Peters as the antidote to drafting Mike Williams, even though, in Wolf's words, it is.

When you have a bust rate on 1st rounders that the Bills have had in the 2000s, with the other rounds not being any better, it's time to see some good drafts before my faith that they know what they're doing is restored.

Now I'm usually more in the defend Ralph than bash him corner, but the bottom line is Ralph is the guy who hired the guys who made all those lousy picks and until I see that the latest guys he hired are better than the previous bums, I'm going to remain skeptical of Nix/Gailey.

Darius looks like a winner, but that pick was a virtual no-brainer.

Assuming the rumors on the Bills being high on Newton were correct, Newton better not be a bust for the simple reason that if he does bust, how much confidence can you put in our front office, whose predessors' records leave a lot to be desired.

I fundamentally disagree with this logic and think you're misguided.

The appropriate question is this: Was Cam Newton worth taking a risk on at the top of the draft? Just because the Bills were high on him doesn't mean they think he's a slam dunk. Taking a QB high is always a risk. It simply means that the Bills deemed the risk-reward tradeoff was worth it. I certainly think it was, given his athletic ability and collegiate performance. The Panthers seemingly agreed.

The previous regime stared Jay Cutler in the face and took Donte Whitner.

The previous regime stared Nick Mangold in the face and took John McCargo.

I don't think it's fair to compare this regime to the prior one. The only concerning thing about this current regime is the continued reluctance to draft offensive linemen in the top 3 rounds, a trend that has been in place for numerous Bills' regimes.

Brett Favre was a rookie who didn't play & was traded for a 1st round pick. Young is much better logic, but he was still traded for picks. Busts get released, not traded for high picks.

So I'll ask again-name me an outright bust QB drafted in the 1st or 2nd round who failed in one place & thrived elsewhere. You can't answer that one because there are none.

Jim Plunkett.

I guess Drew Brees dosen't fit either.

So if Danny Woodhead is a solid RB on the Patriots he would be a solid RB on the Bills? Because a RB is a RB?

Personally, I think Cam Newton is going to be very good if not great in a few years. He's already pretty good after watching him last week and reading a bit about his camp so far.

Who gives a schmitt! We have Dareus and he's shown he's the real deal. I would have taken him over Newton any day of the year. This is a crazy thread and makes no point. I like who we drafted this year and like what we did last year. I also think the Bills are and have changed thoings around for the better. We can look at the grass as being greener, but look at the plate now compared to laste year and ask if the Bills aren't better. All the critics in the world will always say Buffalo sucks because we have no oline and no qb. The fact is we had no defense last year. This year has shown a major improvement. I believe in what Nix is doing and what Chan is doing. Chan is an offensive guy so he will always pick offense first logically. I think Nix did the very best thing and brought in a guy who will and can change the game now. Not tomorrow but now. I hope Cam is a bust along with Miller for the Broncos. That way we look even better for grabbing a stud we needed. His play will only make Williams better along with Merriman. When was the last time Buffalo recorded 9 sacks in a game? That might be almost half of what they did all last year. Think about that one......

I guess Drew Brees dosen't fit either.

Yup. San Diego liked Drew Brees so much that they picked a new QB with the #4 pick in the draft.

Well to be completely accurate they drafted Eli Manning NUMBER ONE in the draft. Since NYG desperately wanted him they ransomed him off for a boatload of picks and money. Included in their haul was the #4 pick in which they drafted ANOTHER QB in Phillip Rivers. They sure liked Drew Brees didn't they. They then let Brees go in free agency.

I think he's done just fine in New Orleans.

People tend to defend their threads to the death...But you might want to let this one go...That "logic" simply doesn't make sense. If it does in your mind, that's cool, just don't expect many other people to buy it...

This thread has a nice combination of hindsight, speculation, rumor, and psychic powers...

For the record I thought the Bills got the best overall player in this draft, so it couldn't have worked out better IMO. Newton was a big risk/big reward guy, if he works out then great for Carolina. If not, too bad for Carolina...

Edited by Turbosrrgood