Give us Stinchcomb...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a look at Stinchcomb for RT and Shawn Andrews at RG, If they check out you could have Pears backing up LT and Hairston back RT.

If it all worked out

Bell LT, Levitre LG, Wood C, Andrews RG, Stinchcomb RT starting

Pears LT, Hangartner C/LG Hairston RT back ups

Wang, Urbik, Howard, Rinehart, Wrotto compete for the back up guard positions the best 1 or 2 make the team.

has anyone besides me actually watched him play? hes average at his best.

i feel like i havent read anyone talk about him beside "is he healthy? sign him." well, even when healthy hes not a probowl world beater guy. hes average. which would be a small upgrade, but by years end we will be looking for an upgrade again. just a fair warning. doesnt mean hes not worth bringing in, but dont think its the answer.

i feel like i havent read anyone talk about him beside "is he healthy? sign him." well, even when healthy hes not a probowl world beater guy. hes average. which would be a small upgrade, but by years end we will be looking for an upgrade again. just a fair warning. doesnt mean hes not worth bringing in, but dont think its the answer.

Have you watched Pears and Wrotto play?

i feel like i havent read anyone talk about him beside "is he healthy? sign him."

And some people don't even seem to care about the health part. Remember the cries to trade a 2d round pick for Jared Gaither last year?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-saints-stinchcomb

He would give us a proven starter from one of the best offenses in football. Keep Pears as depth, or at least have a competition. This fixes both our starting problem and depth problem...Yes he was injured last year, but is supposedly healthy now. I don't think Stinchcomb is our OT savior, but why not TRY to improve. At the very least we would have depth.

If Pears (Wow, we are relying on him?) or Bell get's hurt, we have no one that has shown the slightest bit of ability.

I know this just "another" OT post, but IMO he is a much more viable option than Mckinnie, Flozell, or the other "fat injured" guys..

He can't play anymore. That injury did him in.

No. I prefer to close my eyes.

:lol:

I understand No Saints' plea. What Stinchcomb does have that the current Bills RT's don't have is YEARS of experience at the position. This alone means he's better than what we have and would likely be a great tutor. The only way Pears or Wrotto would start over this guy is if they were world beaters in athleticism. Pretty sure that's not the case.

well if he can play a two year contract letting Hairston develop behind him might be idea.

I don't know enough about him to say how good he is, but it seems worth a try to bring him in for a tryout and a physical. If he passes, offer him a nice incentive based contract and be willing to take a chance on him. At 30, if he only lasts a year or two till we can draft a RT to develop, great. If we expect to develop a QB we will need to give him enough protection to survive and develop. Sounds like Brees sure appreciated him covering his back. If anyone thinks we have an NFL caliber RT on the roster right now, I think it is time to take off those Fanboy tinted sunglasses and see the light.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-saints-stinchcomb

He would give us a proven starter from one of the best offenses in football. Keep Pears as depth, or at least have a competition. This fixes both our starting problem and depth problem...Yes he was injured last year, but is supposedly healthy now. I don't think Stinchcomb is our OT savior, but why not TRY to improve. At the very least we would have depth.

If Pears (Wow, we are relying on him?) or Bell get's hurt, we have no one that has shown the slightest bit of ability.

I know this just "another" OT post, but IMO he is a much more viable option than Mckinnie, Flozell, or the other "fat injured" guys..

No harm in bringing him in for a e v a l by our medical staff. If there is hopes that he can be back up to full strength later this season, we should sign him. Similar to what we did with Merriman last year. Even if he is not ready for most of this year, we will have an experienced lineman for next year. Ofcourse, all this is predicted on the big IF of how bad the injury really is.

Well, the Front office can do what the fans want, which is to bring in anyone they have heard of before on ESPN just to fill the spot because "they obviously have to be better then what they currently have" which may or may not help the bills win a game or 2 more this year (but still not make them a playoff team)

OR

They can play out a year with the young, inexperienced guys they do have, giving them valuable in game experience and learning, and find out what they do have in the players on the roster, all while ending with the same results, a non playoff team with maybe a slightly higher draft choice and a better idea of what they need in this years draft.

I would rather they spend this year evaluating Pears, Hairston, Wang, Wrotto, etc and giving them valuable in game experience, then bringing in guys who are over the hill (Flozell), overweight (McKinnie), dealing with/coming off of a very serious injury (Gaither), or a mixture of any.

now I'm not against them bringing in a guy like Stinchcomb for a look to see what kind of shape he is in, but its sounding like he is not near 100% and will not be much of a help to a rebuilding team at this point on the field. But if they bring him in and see that they can work with him to get him back to 100% like they did with Merrimen, i would be all for signing the guy, but I won't kick and scream and through a TBD tantrum because the front office didn't sign a player who was just released coming off surgery and an injured season because his name is known and "he has to be better then what my proffessional scout eyes have seen from internet reports, a pre-season game, and or training camp"

With the release of Maybin & Evans it's not like we don't have the money or the roster spots , plus the veteran presence on the O line & the team can't hurt plus as you pointed out to depend on Bell i'm not real sure that we should throw all our eggs into that basket !!

well if he can play a two year contract letting Hairston develop behind him might be idea.

no disagreeing, just tempering the "2009 probowl RT" crowd. he is not a top 2-3 tackle in his conference. he is likely somewhere around 7-9 in the nfc, and like 14-18 range in the league. thats still a solid 10 spot jump for us, easily, but dont expect it to fix the position. average. will still have trouble over there, just not quite as much.

Edited by NoSaint

Well, the Front office can do what the fans want, which is to bring in anyone they have heard of before on ESPN just to fill the spot because "they obviously have to be better then what they currently have" which may or may not help the bills win a game or 2 more this year (but still not make them a playoff team)

OR

They can play out a year with the young, inexperienced guys they do have, giving them valuable in game experience and learning, and find out what they do have in the players on the roster, all while ending with the same results, a non playoff team with maybe a slightly higher draft choice and a better idea of what they need in this years draft.

I would rather they spend this year evaluating Pears, Hairston, Wang, Wrotto, etc and giving them valuable in game experience, then bringing in guys who are over the hill (Flozell), overweight (McKinnie), dealing with/coming off of a very serious injury (Gaither), or a mixture of any.

now I'm not against them bringing in a guy like Stinchcomb for a look to see what kind of shape he is in, but its sounding like he is not near 100% and will not be much of a help to a rebuilding team at this point on the field. But if they bring him in and see that they can work with him to get him back to 100% like they did with Merrimen, i would be all for signing the guy, but I won't kick and scream and through a TBD tantrum because the front office didn't sign a player who was just released coming off surgery and an injured season because his name is known and "he has to be better then what my proffessional scout eyes have seen from internet reports, a pre-season game, and or training camp"

I understand where you are coming from but why treat the regular season like a tryout?? These games matter and they need to bring in whoever gives them the best chance to win. Another point to make is there is absolutely no depth on the line to speak of so 1 injury and it is even more of a crap shoot, all at the expense of the entire team. I just don't see why they would head into another season with limited talent and depth. I'm all for giving the young guys a chance but not when they are not even close to being ready or close to good enough.

I don't know enough about him to say how good he is, but it seems worth a try to bring him in for a tryout and a physical. If he passes, offer him a nice incentive based contract and be willing to take a chance on him. At 30, if he only lasts a year or two till we can draft a RT to develop, great. If we expect to develop a QB we will need to give him enough protection to survive and develop. Sounds like Brees sure appreciated him covering his back. If anyone thinks we have an NFL caliber RT on the roster right now, I think it is time to take off those Fanboy tinted sunglasses and see the light.

he got drew hurt last year!

i agree hes an upgrade, but the post above you comparing it to merriman is laughably innaccurate as far as what to expect. if healthy he is middle of the road.

Here is my point of view. If we continue with the OL as it stands and there is no progress, we will see the same lack of holes and lack of time in the pocket. This actually hinders the development of the younger skill players like Spiller, Easley, Jones, White etc. I am advocating a (healthy) Stinchcomb as a temporary measure to hold the line together and allow the overall offense to develop. This will not mean that Pears will not see playing time. If Pears (in limited playing time) shows he is developing fast, then by all means have him start over Stinchcomb. But to say that we should spend yet another season as an audition and extended training camp is doing a disservice to the team and the fans.

he got drew hurt last year!

i agree hes an upgrade, but the post above you comparing it to merriman is laughably innaccurate as far as what to expect. if healthy he is middle of the road.

Laughably inaccurate ? A middle of road RT is not better than what we have now ?

Edited by Fan in Chicago

no disagreeing, just tempering the "2009 probowl RT" crowd. he is not a top 2-3 tackle in his conference. he is likely somewhere around 7-9 in the nfc, and like 14-18 range in the league. thats still a solid 10 spot jump for us, easily, but dont expect it to fix the position. average. will still have trouble over there, just not quite as much.

I don't thinks he's a probowl RT but I didn't think Clabo was a probowl player either- but I'm very leery about Wang as LT depth and Urbik as starting RG I'd love to bring in Stinchcomb and Shawn Andrews if they could return to form it'd not only help the starters but the depth as well as I'd move Pears over to backup LT.

I understand where you are coming from but why treat the regular season like a tryout?? These games matter and they need to bring in whoever gives them the best chance to win. Another point to make is there is absolutely no depth on the line to speak of so 1 injury and it is even more of a crap shoot, all at the expense of the entire team. I just don't see why they would head into another season with limited talent and depth. I'm all for giving the young guys a chance but not when they are not even close to being ready or close to good enough.

But if he is only a short term answer, why take away valuable in game learning/experience from guys they think may have the potential to be a long term solution? If he is close enough to 100% and he can be the long term answer, I'm all for bringing him in, if not, then why put off seeing what you currently have at that position? its not like he is the final piece to the puzzle that will take them to being a SB contender. They are still atleast a year or 2 away from that.

We all know that this year is not going to be a playoff year, wo then it becomes an evaluation year for the team. Of course you go out and try to win every game, but you also want to evaluate what you have and see what you need