Billls open to trading Evans

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, just sitting here on my laptop and watching NFL Countdown on ESPN, and they say that we're definitely "open to trading Lee Evans" and that a trade could be "Consummated within the next 24-48 hours." OK, fine, maybe won't happen, but the aforementioned report is certainly more confirmation than we've received to this point.

Realistically, without a deep threat, spread or no spread, how do you account for the loss in our offense? I mean really, I'm tired of hearing how ineffective Lee Evans "really is." Not necessary- just want to know what any of you think we would realistically do with the receivers that we have on the roster having that vertical threat essentially diminished.

Lee Evans stats last year: 37 receptions 578 yards 15.6 yds per catch, 4TD. He caught only 45 percent of balls thrown his way. He really would not be that hard to replace with the receivers currently on the roster. I think the offense can be just as effective or better than last year without him.

Maybe you are right but I do my remember many people syicking up for evans when he was being bashed

When a team has sucked for as long as the Bills have, it's always easier to bash than defend, so I'm not surprised that many people wouldn't feel like getting into a big argument over it. (That's not even to say that the bashers are wrong, just explaining how I see the dynamics.)

Can you say "one step backward, three steps forward"?

This is an excellent idea and I would greatly raise my opinion of Buddy Nix if he pulls it off. Lee Evans has only short term value for the Bills. He will be gone when his current deal expires.

In the very short term, this deal would slightly hurt the Bills, but they are trying to rebuild the team and Lee Evans won't be around long enough to see the "new" Bills. The Bills are still two or three years away from being rebuilt to the point where they can contend. If they dump Evans now they can get some value for the rebuilding. It makes perfect sense. They aren't going to win anything this year with him anyway.

If Bills fans look at the big picture, this is a great idea. By the way, the cap savings might be re-invested in getting a couple of quality free agents.

Serious question: Why should I bother watching any games this year?

Lee Evans stats last year: 37 receptions 578 yards 15.6 yds per catch, 4TD. He caught only 45 percent of balls thrown his way. He really would not be that hard to replace with the receivers currently on the roster. I think the offense can be just as effective or better than last year without him.

agreed.

a top receiver has better production, even with double coverage.

i'm not buying the decoy argument. reggie bush was also supposed to be the ultimate decoy...

If the Bills trade Evans, then the bills will draft a speed receiver in next year's draft in the first round because they will have realized that none of the wide receivers on the current roster are a deep threat.

agreed.

a top receiver has better production, even with double coverage.

i'm not buying the decoy argument. reggie bush was also supposed to be the ultimate decoy...

Exactly...do people really think despite producing twice as much as Lee pretty much all year that defenses didn't start paying more attention to Stevie.

Football is not that simple. If it was then Reed, Peerless, etc. would have had seasons as productive as Stevie had last year.

Edited by Erik

lee evans for a 4th round pick is NOT a good deal (a 2nd or better is needed).....Lee is the best player on offense......check out Stevie Johnsons stats when Lee missed the last 3 & 1/2 games.....they weren't good.

i guess i would consider trading lee for a starting OT....but thats unlikely. i understand technically almost any player is available for the right price.....a 4th round pick for Lee is just not enough.

Serious question: Why should I bother watching any games this year?

you shouldn't. You should just wait until about 4:10 pm every Sunday, then just punch yourself in the nutz as hard as you can. Same feeling as watching the Bills and you didn't waste 3 hours doing it...

Why wasn't he traded pre-draft then? Nothing has changed since then - Lee hasn't been rumored to have lost a step or been accused of showing up to camp out of shape.

becayse teams are more desperate to fill holes and trading a pick that comes after the season is much 'easier' for someone to give up than a draft staring them in the face.

THIS IS NOT A SALARY DUMP, AND NOT A MOVE TO CLEAR UP CAP SPACE

The Bills have plenty of cap space, and Evans is making a small amount ($3 mil) this year. This has to do with getting something for an aging player prior to FA, and trying to open up a roster spot for some emerging young players. That is all

If its a good, or the right move, Its hard to say.

lee evans for a 4th round pick is NOT a good deal (a 2nd or better is needed).....Lee is the best player on offense......check out Stevie Johnsons stats when Lee missed the last 3 & 1/2 games.....they weren't good.

16 catches, 199 yards, 1 TD...including the last game with Brohm (out of the league currently) starting. Not a world beater in those games but not that bad either. Not sure how good that point is.

I'm convinced that half the people on this board don't actually watch football. Best player??? Are you insane? Lee Evans is perhaps the most mediocre player to ever don a Bills jersey. He certainly is one of the most overrated. Oh how could we ever replace a guy who averages 54.4 yds/game? (that was sarcasm, I feel I should point this out)

Can someone here explain to me why the Bills fanbase is so smitten with this guy? He doesn't go over the middle. He doesn't have the height to win a battle for a jump ball. He isn't a possession receiver. He disappears completely inside the red zone. His one saving grace is that he can run a deep pattern -- a skill that doesn't exactly improve with age. Oh wait - 5 years ago he caught a few bombs from Losman and almost cracked double digit TDs. Put him on the wall of fame I guess?

And for the fans that think this is a money dump, L - O - L. Go look at his contract, we already paid this bum all his money upfront, the only reason he's trade bait is because he makes so little this year. That's also the only argument I can come up with to keep him.

I wonder what people would say if we managed to package Evans and our 3th round pick for a first round pick?

Edited by QCity

I'm almost hoping they get a player in return if they're going to do something this late. Maybe they think Buster Davis is the answer? Wow, there is no evidence of that.

Not that it figures in to the discussion, but I believe Parrish contract is up after this year as well.

Can't wait to see how this plays out.

THIS IS NOT A SALARY DUMP, AND NOT A MOVE TO CLEAR UP CAP SPACE

The Bills have plenty of cap space, and Evans is making a small amount ($3 mil) this year. This has to do with getting something for an aging player prior to FA, and trying to open up a roster spot for some emerging young players. That is all

If its a good, or the right move, Its hard to say.

Thank you.

I'm almost hoping they get a player in return if they're going to do something this late. Maybe they think Buster Davis is the answer? Wow, there is no evidence of that.

Watch any of Chan's press conferences. He gushes over Jones, Nelson, and Naaman every chance he gets. He loves those guys. He loves Easley too. I guarantee he wants to carry all four of those guys.

Actually I have thought about this and looked at from both sides over and over. If they actually do get a 2-3rd it is above the usual selling price and worth it, I would rather they didn't and kind of hope they don't. If it was for a starting RT or a young and very decent swing, who might compete to start at RT. Pull the trigger, I guess. Chan half complains about Evans and he moans just this week, that WE NEED Oline help. If they do this, that is the most logical thing IMO. So far as it being Lee, I like him and always have. Good but not great player at a position that we seem to be kind of deep at. It makes sense for the right price. Buddy please do this only if you get the right price, okay?

I'm convinced that half the people on this board don't actually watch football. Best player??? Are you insane? Lee Evans is perhaps the most mediocre player to ever don a Bills jersey. He certainly is one of the most overrated. Oh how could we ever replace a guy who averages 54.4 yds/game? (that was sarcasm, I feel I should point this out)

Can someone here explain to me why the Bills fanbase is so smitten with this guy? He doesn't go over the middle. He doesn't have the height to win a battle for a jump ball. He isn't a possession receiver. He disappears completely inside the red zone. His one saving grace is that he can run a deep pattern -- a skill that doesn't exactly improve with age. Oh wait - 5 years ago he caught a few bombs from Losman and almost cracked double digit TDs. Put him on the wall of fame I guess?

And for the fans that think this is a money dump, L - O - L. Go look at his contract, we already paid this bum all his money upfront, the only reason he's trade bait is because he makes so little this year. That's also the only argument I can come up with to keep him.

I wonder what people would say if we managed to package Evans and our 3th round pick for a first round pick?

you made good points until the last one. no chance we get a 1st rounder for that package. which leads into my point - enough with the !@#$ing trading starters for draft picks. the cycle has been going for over a decade. how much you want to bet we draft a WR in the first 2 rounds next year who is a speed guy.