Steve Johnson's TDs

1. Against NE. Play action fake. Evans runs to the middle. Fitz looks at him. Then throws deep down the right sideline. The safety that was looking right at Evans until Fitz looks to SJ is late getting to the deep ball to Johnson.

2. Against the jets. Johnson is one on one. The Jets blitzed the safety. Evans had no affect on the play other than clearing the field. There was one rookie CB covering SJ who beat him.

3. Jags.#1 SJ is one on one against a CB and beats him. Safety on one side was on Evans. Safety on SJs side didnt cover anyone.

4. jags #2 Evans is on the left. SJ on the right. The safety looks and leans to Evans first, then is late getting to SJ who walks into the endzone after beating his man.

5. Ravens. Bills have multiple receivers. Two left and two right. Evans on the left. The one remaining safety lines up on the left hash, Evans side, quickly looks to Evans running deep and way late to get to the deep ball to SJ on other side of the field who beat his CB one on one.

6. Chiefs. 4 yard line. Evans lines up right. Two guys are on him. Johnson is on left with two remaining guys covering three Bills. Johnson beats his one man short for the TD.

7. Bengals #1. The Bills had three WR left and only Evans right. I can only see one safety on the replay. I assume he stayed with Evans on the right because he never appears on the screen. And I only saw two Cbs and Two LBs covering three Bills. SJ beat his man then avoiding the one safety who was late getting there. Evans either had no effect or took out two guys.

8. Bengals #2 Evans and (i think) Roscoe line up right. Three Bengals are on those two. SJ is alone one on one on the left and beats his man.

9. Bengals #3 Two guys cover Evans in the endzone. No one really covers SJ who cuts across the field wide open and walks in.

10. Evans didn't play. SJ is one on one on the left and beats his man with a great throw by Fitz.

None of the 10 TDs did SJ have two guys watching him. Most of the time when they played together, two guys were watching Evans.

http://www.nfl.com/scores/2010/REG15

On all of the ten plays, Stevie Johnson made an excellent play to beat his CB and/or hang onto the ball. Most of the time they were great passes by Fitz as well.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

Thanks, Kelly. I know that took a bit of effort.

In addition to tamping the Evans criticism a bit, your research also indicates the good job Fitz did of recognizing coverages and taking what the D gives. I wish we could know how many of those plays were a result of audibles.

GO BILLS!!!

Number 11

Ot, steelers vs bills Stevie wide open in the...... Oh wait never mind

On that play, Evans wasn't in the game I don't think. SJ did actually have two guys watching him after the play action froze everyone but the CB gave up early and the safety got there late. That's why he was wide open. That was a well designed play to make them think run and throw it deep to the only WR out there. I think a TE dragged across the field after the play action from the other side.

Number 11

A positive spin: had Stevie caught it, we most likely wouldn't have dareus.... And may have gabbert, locker etc

Trying to be an optimist. I remember thinking that the only good that comes from the drop was a higher pick. It may turn out to be a good thing. I'd always take a win bs Pittsburgh over a higher pick, but hey....I'm happy we have Marcelosaurus

Thanks for the effort Kelly. Nice post

1. Against NE. Play action fake. Evans runs to the middle. Fitz looks at him. Then throws deep down the right sideline. The safety that was looking right at Evans until Fitz looks to SJ is late getting to the deep ball to Johnson.

2. Against the jets. Johnson is one on one. The Jets blitzed the safety. Evans had no affect on the play other than clearing the field. There was one rookie CB covering SJ who beat him.

3. Jags.#1 SJ is one on one against a CB and beats him. Safety on one side was on Evans. Safety on SJs side didnt cover anyone.

4. jags #2 Evans is on the left. SJ on the right. The safety looks and leans to Evans first, then is late getting to SJ who walks into the endzone after beating his man.

5. Ravens. Bills have multiple receivers. Two left and two right. Evans on the left. The one remaining safety lines up on the left hash, Evans side, quickly looks to Evans running deep and way late to get to the deep ball to SJ on other side of the field who beat his CB one on one.

6. Chiefs. 4 yard line. Evans lines up right. Two guys are on him. Johnson is on left with two remaining guys covering three Bills. Johnson beats his one man short for the TD.

7. Bengals #1. The Bills had three WR left and only Evans right. I can only see one safety on the replay. I assume he stayed with Evans on the right because he never appears on the screen. And I only saw two Cbs and Two LBs covering three Bills. SJ beat his man then avoiding the one safety who was late getting there. Evans either had no effect or took out two guys.

8. Bengals #2 Evans and (i think) Roscoe line up right. Three Bengals are on those two. SJ is alone one on one on the left and beats his man.

9. Bengals #3 Two guys cover Evans in the endzone. No one really covers SJ who cuts across the field wide open and walks in.

10. Evans didn't play. SJ is one on one on the left and beats his man with a great throw by Fitz.

None of the 10 TDs did SJ have two guys watching him. Most of the time when they played together, two guys were watching Evans.

On all of the ten plays, Stevie Johnson made an excellent play to beat his CB and/or hang onto the ball. Most of the time they were great passes by Fitz as well.

Thanks so much for these breakdowns! I'm firmly in the pro-Evans camp, and I feel like he has a positive effect on the offense even if the ball isn't being thrown his way. I just keep coming back to how bad our offense was once he went down last year.

Thanks, Kelly. I know that took a bit of effort.

In addition to tamping the Evans criticism a bit, your research also indicates the good job Fitz did of recognizing coverages and taking what the D gives. I wish we could know how many of those plays were a result of audibles.

GO BILLS!!!

If it was Nelson or Parrish on the other side of Johnson, Stevie would be just another average receiver in a league filled with them. Evans opens up everything up for all the other receivers. He is the most feared player on the offense, even when he doesn't nothing. The best thing for this team is for other DCs to treat Johnson as our #1 and leave Evans one on one with their #2 corner. Evans and Johnson should feed off eat other.

If it was Nelson or Parrish on the other side of Johnson, Stevie would be just another average receiver in a league filled with them. Evans opens up everything up for all the other receivers. He is the most feared player on the offense, even when he doesn't nothing. The best thing for this team is for other DCs to treat Johnson as our #1 and leave Evans one on one with their #2 corner. Evans and Johnson should feed off eat other.

Exactly. Sometimes looking at those plays it's kind of subtle. Like the one play with two wides on both sides. One of the safeties was head up on one of the WR. The other safety was playing the middle of the field and deep, but he lined up on the hash where Evans was. Granted the RB was to that side too but he was covered by a LB right up on him. The safety read the play fairly quickly because Fitz immediately looked to Stevie's side for the pass (obviously after the pre-snap read) but the fact was, he could never get over in time because he was on Evans' hash versus SJ and the other WR (I think it was Nelson). Teams will lean or players will lean toward Evans first as they read the play and QB, but often they don't have enough time to get over to help the CB that SJ just beat.

Again, Johnson was the one on those plays that ran a good route and beat his man and Fitz got him the ball and SJ made it to the endzone. So he should get the credit. But it's also simultaneously true that defenses try to take away Evans, are worried about him, and SJ always just had to beat one man, which he is good at.

Exactly. Sometimes looking at those plays it's kind of subtle. Like the one play with two wides on both sides. One of the safeties was head up on one of the WR. The other safety was playing the middle of the field and deep, but he lined up on the hash where Evans was. Granted the RB was to that side too but he was covered by a LB right up on him. The safety read the play fairly quickly because Fitz immediately looked to Stevie's side for the pass (obviously after the pre-snap read) but the fact was, he could never get over in time because he was on Evans' hash versus SJ and the other WR (I think it was Nelson). Teams will lean or players will lean toward Evans first as they read the play and QB, but often they don't have enough time to get over to help the CB that SJ just beat.

Again, Johnson was the one on those plays that ran a good route and beat his man and Fitz got him the ball and SJ made it to the endzone. So he should get the credit. But it's also simultaneously true that defenses try to take away Evans, are worried about him, and SJ always just had to beat one man, which he is good at.

You mean there's more to a play then what I see on sportscenter? Crazy talk.

Lee Evans can hurt you the most with speed and good hands, leave him alone with only a CB, a QB with time and he will score more often than not, given that not many teams have a great CBs (like the jets have with REvis) the DC will always do the smart thing, roll the coverage to the guy that will hurt you the most in the quickest fashion available (da' bomb)

Evans legs might diminish but he will always be one of the fastest guys on the field, so I don't see the team getting better without him. The only guy I can see taking his place and job, is the unproven, often injured Marcus Easley. Jones, Nelson, Roosevelt and Parrish are more underneath route runners.

BTW Kelly, the fair and balanced one, good research.

Lee Evans can hurt you the most with speed and good hands, leave him alone with only a CB, a QB with time and he will score more often than not, given that not many teams have a great CBs (like the jets have with REvis) the DC will always do the smart thing, roll the coverage to the guy that will hurt you the most in the quickest fashion available (da' bomb)

Evans legs might diminish but he will always be one of the fastest guys on the field, so I don't see the team getting better without him. The only guy I can see taking his place and job, is the unproven, often injured Marcus Easley. Jones, Nelson, Roosevelt and Parrish are more underneath route runners.

BTW Kelly, the fair and balanced one, good research.

Remember all those times we tried to say - oh just put Josh Reed or oh just put Roscoe on the outside, and it killed our passing game and held back the whole offense and stunted the whole teams growth... Yea I could see that happening again with an Evans trade. Right now we need to build momentum, not take our knocks. Without a starting caliber player or decent pick coming back, I can't see it as a positive.

And heaven forbid Stevie sprains an ankle if lees gone.

Edited by NoSaint

Great job KFBD.

I think the best method to determine who the #1 receiver on a given team is to look at which CB is covering said receiver. You will see, more often than not, that the top CB is covering Lee..along with some safety help. I like Stevie, but he's not even close to Lee when it comes to natural ability.

edit: geez, I never thought I'd become one of those fans that call players by their first names..

Edited by QB Bills

That was great reserch. I'm sure it took you some time to dig all that up. I'm firmly in the "trade Evans" camp but you have opened my mind up to keeping him around with this post. Before I would have been happy with a 4th round draft pick for Lee, now after seeing this I'd want more if were to trade him. Maybe a good OT, or a 1st or 2nd. Or at least a 3rd and 4th. I still don't think he's untouchable at this point but I'm more open to keeping him. I also still don't give in to him being a true #1 but I do give him respect for being the guy to help clear the way for Stevie. Great post.

Great job KFBD. I think the best method to determine who the #1 receiver on a given team is to look at which CB is covering said receiver. You will see, more often than not, that the top CB is covering Lee..along with some safety help. I like Stevie, but he's not even close to Lee when it comes to natural ability.

A lot of teams will put the top cb against the #2 WR, and then use the second corner and safety on the top WR. Not every time, not every matchup or team, but common enough to note.

Remember all those times we tried to say - oh just put Josh Reed or oh just put Roscoe on the outside, and it killed our passing game and held back the whole offense and stunted the whole teams growth... Yea I could see that happening again with an Evans trade. Right now we need to build momentum, not take our knocks. Without a starting caliber player or decent pick coming back, I can't see it as a positive.

And heaven forbid Stevie sprains an ankle if lees gone.

Bam

Number 11

You know what's really crappy about Stevie? He's the only receiver in the history of the NFL who ever dropped a critical pass. I'm done with the Bills and their cheap owner and their senile GM.