Bills will be a turn-around team

TPS

This is going to be an interesting year concerning injuries as with no OTA's, no mini camps, no conditioning at the stadium because of the "lockout"

Stating that, "IF" the Bills can stay healthier then their opponents they have a shot at a winning season. The season is so close now, lets just sit back and wait and see.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the schedule, I think the Bills have 5 games that will be difficult to win, and the remainder are in play. Four of the five are the 2 each vs. Jets and Pats, and then I'd throw in the Eagles. However, I won't be surprised if the Bills steal a game from either the Jets or Pats, or both. I think 10-6 is very doable.

Primary keys:

1. RT. Bell stays healthy. I think the interior 3 will be very strong, and Pears will be serviceable. It won't surprise me (or anyone) to see the Bills pick up another tackle before the season starts. As is, with a healthy Bell, the line is better than last year.

2. Pass rush. Merriman stays healthy. While I think the defense will be siginificantly better this year, a healthy Merriman could make it lethal. The addition of Dareus, along with improvements from Troup and Carrington, solidifies the line, which will free up the LBs more.

Other musings:

Offense:

- The running game should be significantly better based on a stronger interior line and improvement from Spiller.

- Thigpen gives the Bills a true backup if Fitz goes down.

- Chandler should be a pleasant surprise at TE.

- The offense will be entertaining to say the least.

Defense:

- The safety play will be better with Wilson and a more experienced Byrd.

- With a better pass rush, there will be more turnovers.

- I think Carrington will move into a starting role by the bye.

How to get 10 wins?

I think the Bills can go 4-2 into the bye.

Wins: KC, Oak, Cinc, and Giants (toughest).

Losses: Pats and Philly.

Remainder of games:

Wash W

Jets L

Dallas W

Fins W

Jets L

Tenn W

SD L

Fins W

Denver W

Pats L

The real test for me is the first Jets game at home. Can a bigger, stronger Bills team now go toe-to-toe with the Jets?

I think the Bills can make the playoffs if they win ONE of the four games vs Jets and Pats, and go 3-3 in the division, and 11-5 overall!

That's my prediction. (Which is dependent on Bell and Merriman staying healthy.) Obviously, a run of injuries like last year would spoil this as well.

Go Bills!

(Optimistic) TPS

Im in.

I will say this. While I don't know that 10 - 6 is a reasonable expectation for the year I do think we're much better than people think. I think this years team is significantly better than the team we had last year. The same team that lost 4 games by a field goal to playoffs teams, 3 of which were in overtime. Vegas has the over/under at 5.5 and I'm taking the over. We do have a tough schedule but we had that least year. 6 wins is reasonable, 8 is possible, I'd be very surprised if we got to 10. I would not be surprised if we won one of the four games against the Jets/Pats. We've been very close the past couple years in atleast one game with the Pats.

Same token is we won 3 games by a td or less.

He said "professional" opinion. That leaves ESPN and Yahoo out.

GO BILLS!!!

Don't forget the geniuses at NFLN.

Remember Marhsall Faulk? "The Bills [who were 7-9 the prior year] look like a 2-win team to me. They need to improve at Left Tackle."

Of course in reality, they went 7-9 yet again - typical DJ style.

More to the point, mind you, Jason Peters had just gone to the pro bowl as the AFC starter. Faulk didn't know that, and apparently none of the editors there did either.

Read somewhere recently that Oakland and KC were the two top running teams last year (in some category).

So your brand new run defense had better be great from day one, if you plan to just chalk up those two games as wins.

And yet, last year, when the Chiefs were actually earning that stat, the Bills with last year's horrible run defense still managed to go to KC and take them to O/T.

But in your mind, this year with Dareus, Merriman, and a full year in the new 3-4 system, (plus Carrington and Troup 20 lbs bigger) we can't stand against their run game??

Edited by BobChalmers

The optimism on this site is entertaining to say the least. No one can site a professional opinion that states we will be anything close to a .500 team yet yahoo's on here are calling for 7-8-9-10 wins. Apparently Bill's fans know more about football than everyone else.

To say that we are going to win (1) against the Jets/Patriots and win against the Dallas, KC, and the Giants is simply laughable. We may squeek out one or two of those games, but it's just as likely that we lose one, two, three, or four against the Skins, Fins, Titans, Oakland, Tenn, and Denver. We are a 3-6 win team this year, end of story.

I hope for your sake that your crystal ball works better than your grammar checker.

What possible harm is done by a fan wanting to see the glass half full? Sports are the toy department of life; pleasant illusions harm no one at all, and they make those fans more fun to be around. I doubt that even the most optimistic fan on TBD is unaware of the real weaknesses and challenges facing this team. Perhaps they just prefer to wait until the games are played to mope around.

The optimism on this site is entertaining to say the least. No one can site a professional opinion that states we will be anything close to a .500 team yet yahoo's on here are calling for 7-8-9-10 wins. Apparently Bill's fans know more about football than everyone else.

To say that we are going to win (1) against the Jets/Patriots and win against the Dallas, KC, and the Giants is simply laughable. We may squeek out one or two of those games, but it's just as likely that we lose one, two, three, or four against the Skins, Fins, Titans, Oakland, Tenn, and Denver. We are a 3-6 win team this year, end of story.

Professional opinions?? Well there are plenty of professionals out there who have stated we will be the worst team in the league. Would you agree with that? Even a pessimist has to know we aren't the worst of all the 32 teams around the league. I'm not saying the Bills are making the playoffs here, but at least be able to form your own opinions. I am willing to bet there are some people around here that DO know more than some of these so called "professionals." I am not one of those people :(

I say, let's just sit back and watch some football. We won't need to make predictions soon enough when the games begin.

Call it trolling, say I'm not a Bills fan, make fun of grammatical errors, whatever. It seems like the Bills front office is just as optimistic as I am about the potential of the team this year after trading Evans for a 4th round pick.

Looking at the schedule, I think the Bills have 5 games that will be difficult to win, and the remainder are in play. Four of the five are the 2 each vs. Jets and Pats, and then I'd throw in the Eagles. However, I won't be surprised if the Bills steal a game from either the Jets or Pats, or both. I think 10-6 is very doable.

Primary keys:

1. RT. Bell stays healthy. I think the interior 3 will be very strong, and Pears will be serviceable. It won't surprise me (or anyone) to see the Bills pick up another tackle before the season starts. As is, with a healthy Bell, the line is better than last year.

2. Pass rush. Merriman stays healthy. While I think the defense will be siginificantly better this year, a healthy Merriman could make it lethal. The addition of Dareus, along with improvements from Troup and Carrington, solidifies the line, which will free up the LBs more.

Other musings:

Offense:

- The running game should be significantly better based on a stronger interior line and improvement from Spiller.

Defense:

How to get 10 wins?

Remainder of games:

Wash W

Jets L

Dallas W

Fins W

Jets L

Tenn W

SD L

Fins W

Denver W

Pats L

The real test for me is the first Jets game at home. Can a bigger, stronger Bills team now go toe-to-toe with the Jets?

I think the Bills can make the playoffs if they win ONE of the four games vs Jets and Pats, and go 3-3 in the division, and 11-5 overall!

That's my prediction. (Which is dependent on Bell and Merriman staying healthy.) Obviously, a run of injuries like last year would spoil this as well.

Go Bills!

(Optimistic) TPS

I said 10-6 earlier but I think we win the second games against Pats and Jets and go strong into the playoffs. GO BILLS!!!

Call it trolling, say I'm not a Bills fan, make fun of grammatical errors, whatever. It seems like the Bills front office is just as optimistic as I am about the potential of the team this year after trading Evans for a 4th round pick.

To an afc team that will be in the wildcard mix

I don't believe the Dolphins are better than the Bills. If the Jets are better, it's not by much. The Patriots probably are still the top team in the division but their key players are aging. If the Bills defense improves as much as it looks like it's capable of, the days of Tom Terrific sitting in the pocket like in an easy chair are over with. And when Tom is harassed, the Pats become a beatable team.

As to the Eagles, they sure won the Super Bowl of FA signings. But that can be as much a negative as a positive as they try to get all those new pieces gelling together. A lot of short-term contracts, which says to me quite a few of their players might try to personally shine for the next FA signings. They are also vulnerable at QB. Does Vick make it through an entire season? If he goes down, it's Vince Young time. And the game will be played at the Ralph fairly early in the season. This is not an Eagles "gimme."

The Raiders and Bengals and Skins don't appear to be as good as the Bills (the key word being "appear"). I think right now I'd put Denver and the Titans in that group. The Giants are tough but for my money they're not as great as their NY media-fueled hype. The Cowboys are hard to figure. Are they going to finally play like the pundits annually claim they are capable of? Or does their dysfunction continue this season?

That leaves the Chiefs and the Chargers. I think they are probably two of the best teams the Bills will face all year, though KC might stumble a bit. But it's the opener and it's in KC which I think works in KC's favor. The Charger game is late in the season, when the Chargers of late have been at their strongest. And it's in San Diego.

Every look into the future has a whole lot of "if this" and "maybe that." But "if" the Bills defense is as improved as it seems to be on paper, and "if" the offense is even a little more adequate than last season, and "if" key players don't start dropping like flies, and "if" the Gods of Football smile and a couple of bounces and breaks go the Bills way, then "maybe" this turns out to be a very satisfying season. It's true that hope springs eternal, and never more so than before the season begins. But a winning season this year is much more believable to me than it has been in six or seven or more years.

• 3 weeks later...

Primary keys:

Other musings:

Offense:

Defense:

How to get 10 wins?

Remainder of games:

Wash W

Jets L

Dallas W

Fins W

Jets L

Tenn W

SD L

Fins W

Denver W

Pats L

Go Bills!

(Optimistic) TPS

Ok, the preseason is done, and I haven't seen much that changes my prediction. A healthy Merriman makes this D better than average.

If Bell goes down, we know they would move Levitre and insert Rhinehart (sp). The O-line is still the main weakness, especially in pass pro. I think it will be masked somewhat by a better running game with a more stout middle of the line, extra protection from TE and RBs, and Fitz's decision-making.

One obvious problem is Thiggy hasn't shown anything, but as he gets used to his recievers "maybe" that will change.

I see a much more competitive team this year, and therefore the Bills are quite capable of turning it around. I still think the first Jets game is a key, as the Jets have man-handled the Bills in the trenches of late. If we can get that win at home, AND Merriman is still healthy, then we could surprise.

But that's why they play the games...

Go Bills!

I hope for your sake that your crystal ball works better than your grammar checker.

What possible harm is done by a fan wanting to see the glass half full? Sports are the toy department of life; pleasant illusions harm no one at all, and they make those fans more fun to be around. I doubt that even the most optimistic fan on TBD is unaware of the real weaknesses and challenges facing this team. Perhaps they just prefer to wait until the games are played to mope around.

You're speaking to too many deaf ears, unfortunately.

My son gets sports illustrated and a writer in the latest issue (didn't ask his name) thinks the Bills will go 7-9 and come in 3rd in the AFC East.

That's not far from .500 and I'd call him a professional.

I see somewhere between 4 and 6 wins likely myself but if the Bills stay healthy (particularly Merriman and Dareus) and their opponents have key injuries i could see 7 wins.

One thing that no one has really mentioned is the coaching. I feel like we finally have a coach who can game plan on the offensive side of the ball and find ways to beat a defense. With a year under their belt, I look for this team to make strides under good coaching.

I'm still sticking with 7 wins, but I wouldnt be suprised to see 8 or 9

Florio predicted Bills would compete for a wild card birth. http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/133956-florio-shows-bills-some-love/page__p__2232071__hl__florio__fromsearch__1#entry2232071