There's an interesting word coming out of Bills camp

eball

I don't recall the last time I heard anyone describe the Buffalo offense as "explosive" -- certainly not since Bledsoe's first year when Moulds and Price were wreaking havoc the first half of the season.

I've now read and heard quotes from multiple Bills (Stevie, Wood, Fitz, Jackson) in which they talk about the potential "explosiveness" of the offense. Whether the fans and media want to believe or not, this teams gives the impression they really believe they're going to put big numbers on the board. Everyone's talking about being comfortable in Gailey's offense and just getting the timing down.

I dunno -- of course I'm a perennial optimist, but hearing stuff like this is exciting to me, and a nice break from the "realists" who want to complain about how horrible everything is.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am with you man. I think this team has the potential to be very effective. But it is predicated on a few different variables.

-Can Fitz be more consistent, and cut down on the untimely poor decisions?

-Can the Oline stay healthy and come together as a unit?

If those two things happen i do believe we as fans will finally get a pro offense that will keep us on the edge of our seats.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

I am with you man. I think this team has the potential to be very effective. But it is predicated on a few different variables.

-Can Fitz be more consistent, and cut down on the untimely poor decisions?

-Can the Oline stay healthy and come together as a unit?

If those two things happen i do believe we as fans will finally get a pro offense that will keep us on the edge of our seats.

Oh, they always have kept me on the edge of my seat...but usually for the wrong reason. ;)

It is good to hear that they are confident in their own abilities.

But when have you heard the players on any team make statements in camp that they are going to suck this year?

This is the same offense as last year. What is going to make them more "explosive" this year than last, a years experience?

Hope it's true, but sounds like ordinary sound byte chest thumping stuff to me. B-)

Maybe the "realists" would like to get at least into the second week of training camp before waiting for the explosions. We heard a lot of the same thing last season.

We hear a lot of optimistic stuff every year; this is no different. It's encouraging, though, that you have players at multiple positions all seemingly on the same page.

It is good to hear that they are confident in their own abilities.

But when have you heard the players on any team make statements in camp that they are going to suck this year?

This is the same offense as last year. What is going to make them more "explosive" this year than last, a years experience?

Hope it's true, but sounds like ordinary sound byte chest thumping stuff to me. B-)

While I understand and accept that confident statements come out of camp each year, the difference in the attitude/mentality of the Bills from this year to last is a freaking chasm.

We hear a lot of optimistic stuff every year; this is no different. It's encouraging, though, that you have players at multiple positions all seemingly on the same page.

While I understand and accept that confident statements come out of camp each year, the difference in the attitude/mentality of the Bills from this year to last is a freaking chasm.

I agree

I wish Fitz was more accurate (and maybe he will be this year with more familiarity) but he's never been afraid to go after the big play. Evans has speed. Spiller, Parish and Smith make plays in space. Johnson last year just plain made plays. Gailey likes to run an unpredictable offense. It could all add up to explosiveness.

It would be more explosive and better sustain drives if the right side of the line was better.

Is there really a difference? I remember last years statements about buying into the new HC's system, the "game changer" and "explosive" Spiller making the OL better etc. Seems the same to me but I guess much like beauty, attitude is in the eye of the beholder. :mellow:

I wish Fitz was more accurate (and maybe he will be this year with more familiarity) but he's never been afraid to go after the big play. Evans has speed. Spiller, Parish and Smith make plays in space. Johnson last year just plain made plays. Gailey likes to run an unpredictable offense. It could all add up to explosiveness.

It would be more explosive and better sustain drives if the right side of the line was better.

Spiller and Parish have yet to make many plays in space. Gailey's offense was anything but unpredictable. See play calling in all 3 OT losses.

I don't recall the last time I heard anyone describe the Buffalo offense as "explosive" -- certainly not since Bledsoe's first year when Moulds and Price were wreaking havoc the first half of the season.

I've now read and heard quotes from multiple Bills (Stevie, Wood, Fitz, Jackson) in which they talk about the potential "explosiveness" of the offense. Whether the fans and media want to believe or not, this teams gives the impression they really believe they're going to put big numbers on the board. Everyone's talking about being comfortable in Gailey's offense and just getting the timing down.

I dunno -- of course I'm a perennial optimist, but hearing stuff like this is exciting to me, and a nice break from the "realists" who want to complain about how horrible everything is.

now we just need for our NFL opponents to agree to not rush the passer and we will be all set to take advantage of those WRs

However, failing that, difficult to realize the explosiveness when your QB is running for his life due to shoddy OT & TE play.

Maybe the "realists" would like to get at least into the second week of training camp before waiting for the explosions. We heard a lot of the same thing last season.

I haven't heard so much talk of explosiveness sincs Trent Edwards was piloting the no-huddle during OTA's with TO and Lee Evans looking to become the top WR tandem in the league.

I'm pretty excited about the potential of the offense. Like the Thigpen and Brad Smith signings. But it's really a lot of the same guys who really didn't look very good at the end of last season. People tend to forget the mugging Gailey's offense took when Belichick and Ryan got a second look. Particularly in that second Patriots game. That looked like every other "second" Patriots game of the year. Not good.

Show me the baby Gailey.

Lets hope so. Despite their back of the pack offensive stats last season, I think they were already showing great signs of improvement.

What I loved hearing, on one of those post practice video reports from Chris Brown (the last practice before their first day off from camp) Chan and Fitz are talking about how they spent a lot of time working on their screen play execution. One of them (Fitz I think) said something like "we have so many potential playmakers on this offense (Spiller, Miller, Parrish, Evans, etc) we have to start figuring a way to open this offense up a little more, and get the ball in their hands, even if it means just short passes to hit them in space..." Chan goes on to talk about the need to concentrate on their screen game.

I feel like I have been saying this for about 10 years now. Maybe, because the O-line hasn't been great, or because our QB's haven't been great, or both, but this team simply doesn't know how, or can't run an effective screen play. And they have had some pretty decent pass catching backs (McGahee, Jackson, Lynch, Spiller)...to me, the screen play to Thurman Thomas, back in the glory years, was the bread and butter play, that kept defenses honest for us, and opened up gaping holes in defenses...not to take anything away from TT's running, but, IMO, it was his receiving skills, on the screen play especially, that created so much space for him to run, and so much room for Reed to take off after a short reception.

Getting excited for the season to begin!

Edited by Buftex