There's an interesting word coming out of Bills camp

eball

Didn't Spiller look great and Maybin get a sack in last year's preseason? Well...u know the rest.

I must admit, you're right on this. I don't put too much stock into preseason performance as it is widely known that teams usually only go with their vanilla packages. When the regular season starts, it's amazing how preseason all-stars revert back to mediocrity.

I do think the performance of the defense is more indicative to regular season success. I am excited to see our revamped front 7 and whether or not we can stop the run with some consistency. If not, could be in for a long year.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiller looked good in a few games last year too, he just didn't get a lot of touches consistently. I'm not saying he did great, but he had plenty of games of >4 YPC... first round worthy? I'm willing to reserve judgement until the end of this year. He obviously has potential to make big plays, especially if he works on patience.

I don't recall the last time I heard anyone describe the Buffalo offense as "explosive" -- certainly not since Bledsoe's first year when Moulds and Price were wreaking havoc the first half of the season.

I've now read and heard quotes from multiple Bills (Stevie, Wood, Fitz, Jackson) in which they talk about the potential "explosiveness" of the offense. Whether the fans and media want to believe or not, this teams gives the impression they really believe they're going to put big numbers on the board. Everyone's talking about being comfortable in Gailey's offense and just getting the timing down.

I dunno -- of course I'm a perennial optimist, but hearing stuff like this is exciting to me, and a nice break from the "realists" who want to complain about how horrible everything is.

I think we have an embarassment of riches at WR and if CJ can live up to expectations now that he has a year under his belt (granted, a big "if") then I think we have all the skill people we need to be able to score

against anyone. There are questions about the line and about Fitz as well but I see no reason why we shouldn't be as good or better than last year both along the line and under center. Couple that with

Chan's creative game planning and the addition of a unique player like Brad Smith and yeah, I could see this offense being pretty explosive. It had some good days last year, like the 34 points it put up

against the Ravens, a team that averaged giving up only 17 points per game which was 3rd best in the league.

I am not worried that offense won't be able to win games, I am worried about the defense. It is starting to get enough talent to significantly improve but for the most part, that is all on paper and it remains to be seen

how they will perform on the field. A lot of the talent is young and untested. Merriman is a huuuuuge question mark. He could make or break that defense, remember Bryce Paup?

Have any of the players guaranteed we make the playoffs yet? We'll know they are for real when that happens. :unsure:

without solid tackles or a standout tight end? I don't think they are going to be explosive until they get those things right.

Nine wins and I'm on the bandwagon.

Nine wins? with history as a guide, we will be lucky to achieve that goal by the end of next season, and only if we add in the win(s) from this season.

I think we have an embarassment of riches at WR and if CJ can live up to expectations now that he has a year under his belt (granted, a big "if") then I think we have all the skill people we need to be able to score

against anyone. There are questions about the line and about Fitz as well but I see no reason why we shouldn't be as good or better than last year both along the line and under center. Couple that with

Chan's creative game planning and the addition of a unique player like Brad Smith and yeah, I could see this offense being pretty explosive. It had some good days last year, like the 34 points it put up

against the Ravens, a team that averaged giving up only 17 points per game which was 3rd best in the league.

I am not worried that offense won't be able to win games, I am worried about the defense. It is starting to get enough talent to significantly improve but for the most part, that is all on paper and it remains to be seen

how they will perform on the field. A lot of the talent is young and untested. Merriman is a huuuuuge question mark. He could make or break that defense, remember Bryce Paup?

Really? I keep seeing this, and can't for the life of me understand how people believe this.

We have:

an aging WR who only runs fly patterns, fails to battle for balls, and has lost a step,

an up and coming WR who is neither really big nor really fast, but run good patterns and has a penchant for dropping balls at important times in the game.

an aging midget of a WR who is injury prone, not overly fast, very, very quick, but relatively unproductive despite his skills.

a tall slow wide receiver, undrafted, from florida who failed to put up big numbers in college despite playing on a perennial national championship contending team

a tweener FA pickup being compared to Slash (not the one from G & R, unfortunately)

a hometown undrafted product who spent most of last year on the practice squad until we were decimated by injuries

a 4th round pick from last year who has made it through about 10 days of training camp combined in his first 2 years

a collection of cast offs, undrafted free agents, washouts and perrenial practice squad players.

You consider this an embarrassment of riches? :wallbash:

Really? I keep seeing this, and can't for the life of me understand how people believe this.

We have:

an aging WR who only runs fly patterns, fails to battle for balls, and has lost a step,

an up and coming WR who is neither really big nor really fast, but run good patterns and has a penchant for dropping balls at important times in the game.

an aging midget of a WR who is injury prone, not overly fast, very, very quick, but relatively unproductive despite his skills.

a tall slow wide receiver, undrafted, from florida who failed to put up big numbers in college despite playing on a perennial national championship contending team

a tweener FA pickup being compared to Slash (not the one from G & R, unfortunately)

a hometown undrafted product who spent most of last year on the practice squad until we were decimated by injuries

a 4th round pick from last year who has made it through about 10 days of training camp combined in his first 2 years

a collection of cast offs, undrafted free agents, washouts and perrenial practice squad players.

You consider this an embarrassment of riches? :wallbash:

:lol:

These things make them "explosive"?

When you have an offense where everyone truly knows theirs roles and the group has a ton of confidence in each other, you have two of the four ingredients for what makes an explosive combination. The other two ingredients are talent (which I believe is there but still has some convincing to do), and the last is the "go for the throat" attitude during games against top competition (we're talking Pats and Jets here).

Have any of the players guaranteed we make the playoffs yet? We'll know they are for real when that happens. :unsure:

Nine wins? with history as a guide, we will be lucky to achieve that goal by the end of next season, and only if we add in the win(s) from this season.

you may be right...but remember chan and buddy started out with a 7 win team, went to a 4 win team and are showing no improvement. Sooner or later you have to set goals.

I think he was referring to Brad Smith, not Buster Davis.

Correct. Buster Davis would be lumped in with the cast offs and wash outs.

My overall point is, while I agree that people need to take a step back and realize Bills are not going to be the Patriots/Colts/Packers/Saints of recent years, there are definitely things to be optimistic about on offense for the first time in awhile. Gailey has considerable weapons at his disposal and while you've taken a glass half empty look at the players above, it just as easy (and perhaps more accurate) to take a more optimistic view. Obviously, it all depends on A) If Fitzpatrick can remain consistent ( I think he's going to have a M. Bulger/ J. Delhomme type of season where he makes a lot of plays but throws a lot of bad INTs) B) If the offensive line can create plays for our running game. But there are a lot of players to plan for when facing the Bills.

That is a very reasoned response. I agree that Fitz will be fitz this year, and that will not be a good thing. I agree that our offensive line is a huge question mark. Bell is just serviceable. Levitre and Wood are getting better, but the right side of the line is iffy at best, and if (when?)they get hurt there is NO ONE behind them. All the weapons in the world won't do a bit of good if Fitz is running for his life. Let's hope Hairston develops quickly. He reminds me of Brad Butler.

I'm not here to say that every one of our receivers flat out blows and its hopeless, but calling that group of question marks an extravagance of riches is beyond homerism.

Not to nitpick, but:

Evans - one dimensional this far? He's in what - his 10th year? If he had another dimension I think we would see it by now. I see a player that doesn't get separation like he used to. Maybe you are right - it isn't that he has lost a step, its his lack of effort.

Stevie - you are right - his drops were those of a second year player. Too bad he was a third year player last year. I like Stevie - I am interested to see how he follows up the success of last season. I don't think he's on the way to the pro bowl yet but he may have that ability. He needs to become fast friends with a jugs machine, though. he was in the bottom 10 WR's in the league in drop percentage of catchable balls last year at 13.68% That is a bad number. My link.

Roscoe ran a 4.4 when? 10 years ago? who ran the watch - do you have a link for that stat? More important is his lack of productivity. Blame it on whoever you want, he just hasn't been productive. Maybe he would have been last year but lately the guy can't stay on the field.

Nelson - he is big and slow, isn't he? He has good hands, no doubt. He's the type of guy you are always looking to upgrade though, because he is so one dimensional. I'll give you this - I like him better than Hardy. I don't understand the reference to Brady - he started two years at Michigan - did you mean Matt Cassel? He's playing himself out of the league.

I meant Smith. He's a tweener because I don't know what position he plays - some wide receiver, some running back some returner, some quarterback. He's basically a gimmick. We'll see how he does, but I don't expect consistent production, I expect a few big gimmick plays, but not much else the other 50 offensive snaps.

I'd like to see Easley do well to, but the guy has only had a handful of training camp practices. Embarrassing riches?

So, while we disagree on how these guys should be viewed, I commend you o your reasoned approach to it. :thumbsup:

Edited by Erik Flowers

I don't recall the last time I heard anyone describe the Buffalo offense as "explosive" -- certainly not since Bledsoe's first year when Moulds and Price were wreaking havoc the first half of the season.

I've now read and heard quotes from multiple Bills (Stevie, Wood, Fitz, Jackson) in which they talk about the potential "explosiveness" of the offense. Whether the fans and media want to believe or not, this teams gives the impression they really believe they're going to put big numbers on the board. Everyone's talking about being comfortable in Gailey's offense and just getting the timing down.

I dunno -- of course I'm a perennial optimist, but hearing stuff like this is exciting to me, and a nice break from the "realists" who want to complain about how horrible everything is.

I think the Bills have many of the pieces in place to have a dynamic offense, though still concerned about a few things. The tackle positions are a concern, though Bell has shown steady progress and my hope is he's ready for the next step. RT is a little more of a concern, but hopefully the position will be handled with some level of competence, if not greatness.

My real concern is tight end, a position the Bills have seemingly ignored for years. Almost every championship level team has something in common - a proven threat at tight end. A player who can create mismatches in the secondary, or create running room for a back. What's puzzling is that there have been proven TEs available through FA and the Bills never seem to make an effort to add them to the squad. Tony Gonzales, Shockey, and most recently Heap et al.

Meanwhile the Pats, a team that makes a hobby out of burning the Bills with TEs, add 2 rookies in 2010, one from Williamsville, who both appear more capable than anyone on the Bills.