Sofa Discussion

ajzepp

So after having supported my dad for the last year, he's finally back on his feet with a good job and moving into his own place. After trying to figure out what to do with regard to my living situation, I've decided to renew the lease on the apartment we had been sharing even though it's more space that I really need.

Anyhow, I need a new couch that will be the centerpiece of my home theater/living room. I am a big guy, so I need something nice a comfy and with deep seating for my huge arse. I'm THINKING that I'm leaning toward a nice leather sofa, maybe even a sectional, where there is some reclining action going on.

I was curious if any of you guys had some sofas you were really happy with, and/or any advice as I go about my search. I'm posting a couple of pieces that have caught my attention so far below...

Contemporary and German

Italian leather set

Heard this one was comfy

Here are a couple images of the room...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/192/aptmaggies3.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/aptmaggies2.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/aptmaggies1.jpg/

Edited by ajzepp

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you looking for a sitting couch or one you can stretch out on?

Leather couches look great but aren't as comfortable to stretch out on. I have a cloth couch with super stuffed cushions that are super awesome comfortable when I lay down on it.

Leather couches look great but aren't as comfortable to stretch out on. I have a cloth couch with super stuffed cushions that are super awesome comfortable when I lay down on it.

This, as you are a bachelor, you will nap on the couch.

Forget the sofa. You need a bigger TV.

Hell yeah I do!! :thumbsup:

Thats kinda why I was thinking one of these reclining sofas might be the answer. Those big chairs you see in the photos of my place are ridiculously comfortable, so I would definitely like something I can doze off in and/or stretch out on. I definitely don't want just a plain couch...I think it needs to have either the recline option, an ottoman, or a chaise attached to it.

This, as you are a bachelor, you will nap on the couch.

Absolutely

only thing I will say is there is isnhuge markup on all furniture...even the ones at 70% off lol. Always,always , always ask for a better price

Yep, that's something that makes this harder for me. When it comes to audio/video gear, cars, etc., I can easily do my research and come up with a great decision on what to buy. I'm finding this is nearly impossible when it comes to furniture. I definitely want something with an excellent buuild quality, cause I tend to keep my stuff for 8-10 years at least. But I just don't know that much about choosing quality pieces when it comes to home furnishings.

I was in a similar situation with regards to furniture 2 years ago when I moved into the townhouse I bought. I ended up buying from carolinachair.com. The couch I got is super-comfortable, made in the USA, and at least after two years, seems to be of pretty high quality. If you don't care for dealing with furniture salespeople, consider these guys.

I was in a similar situation with regards to furniture 2 years ago when I moved into the townhouse I bought. I ended up buying from carolinachair.com. The couch I got is super-comfortable, made in the USA, and at least after two years, seems to be of pretty high quality. If you don't care for dealing with furniture salespeople, consider these guys.

Thanks man, I just bookmarked it and will check it out. I love shopping online, actually...that's partially why I like sites like overstock.com and amazon. I've learned that when there are more than about 20 reviews for a given product, the reviews/ratings are pretty reliable. I just can't seem to find many sites where they have reviews on furniture. The link I posted to the first sofa (the one that says "contemporary and German) is from a company that apparently has a no-hassle, 100% satisfaction policy where, if you don't like the piece, they come and pick it up and refund your money in total. That would definitely go a long way toward being more comfortable buying a larger ticket item online. I also need to go hit some local stores, though, cause there are a few with solid reps near where I live.

Ask the women you work with what type of couch they prefer to "get busy" on.

lol, I"d actually probably get a lot of detailed responses...RNs are pretty well-known for speakign their minds on just about any topic...takes a lot to make us uncomfortable.

0:)

AJ, to me a sofa is like a car. You test drive them with your azz. A sofa and a car have to pass the azz test. It's gotta be comfy from the get-go. If it's not - chances are great that condition will not improve over time.

As to IKEA, a lot of their stuff is light weight. Not saying it's terrible, but you really need to check it out in person. That's what's hard about buying online. You could check out some furniture stores locally and find what you like - then try to get the best deal online. As to furniture, wifey and I haven't bought any in quite a while. Check out the High Point, NC furniture dealers. Quite a bit of furniture that's made in this country comes from that area. http://www.furnitureshoppingguide.com/

AJ, to me a sofa is like a car. You test drive them with your azz. A sofa and a car have to pass the azz test. It's gotta be comfy from the get-go. If it's not - chances are great that condition will not improve over time.

As to IKEA, a lot of their stuff is light weight. Not saying it's terrible, but you really need to check it out in person. That's what's hard about buying online. You could check out some furniture stores locally and find what you like - then try to get the best deal online. As to furniture, wifey and I haven't bought any in quite a while. Check out the High Point, NC furniture dealers. Quite a bit of furniture that's made in this country comes from that area. http://www.furnitureshoppingguide.com/

Point taken. I definitely won't buy anything I can't either try first in person or send back if it's not comfortable. I'm more interested in what you guys think of the styles I'm presenting?

Thanks for the link...I'll definitley check it out!

Yo buddy! Just got a new sectional for my place. REALLY pleased with it. I had a very specific size I needed to fit a sectional into my living room without it eating up the entire room.

Found a great sectional line at West Elm. Was able to piece together the perfect fit. AND its still roomy enough to fit me, my two dogs, and any company we may have ;)

You can also get the ottoman(s) and move it/them around as extra seating, or put them in front and make a large bed area.

When you move the throw pillows, it's a really wide, roomy napping couch!

Recommend hitting the actual store and seeing their couches in real life. Theyre all pretty nice.

http://www.westelm.com/products/walton-sectional-f467/?pkey=csofas-sectionals-couch

edit: btw, I ended up building a large, 4 piece sofa... for about $1500 total.

edit2: I had been in the market for a couch for months, did a ton of online shopping. But you wont make a good decision unless you see/test it in person like Nanker said. Gonna have to suck it up and hit Ikea and West Elm at Atlantic Station. And while you're in town, all the wholesale furniture places in West Midtown.

Edited by DrDareustein