Sofa Discussion

ajzepp

Yo buddy! Just got a new sectional for my place. REALLY pleased with it. I had a very specific size I needed to fit a sectional into my living room without it eating up the entire room.

Found a great sectional line at West Elm. Was able to piece together the perfect fit. AND its still roomy enough to fit me, my two dogs, and any company we may have ;)

You can also get the ottoman(s) and move it/them around as extra seating, or put them in front and make a large bed area.

When you move the throw pillows, it's a really wide, roomy napping couch!

Recommend hitting the actual store and seeing their couches in real life. Theyre all pretty nice.

http://www.westelm.c...ectionals-couch

edit: btw, I ended up building a large, 4 piece sofa... for about $1500 total.

edit2: I had been in the market for a couch for months, did a ton of online shopping. But you wont make a good decision unless you see/test it in person like Nanker said. Gonna have to suck it up and hit Ikea and West Elm at Atlantic Station. And while you're in town, all the wholesale furniture places in West Midtown.

There always gotta be one sectional guy in the crowd!

And to LeviF91, the settee guy... You are just weird! :P;)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo buddy! Just got a new sectional for my place. REALLY pleased with it. I had a very specific size I needed to fit a sectional into my living room without it eating up the entire room.

Found a great sectional line at West Elm. Was able to piece together the perfect fit. AND its still roomy enough to fit me, my two dogs, and any company we may have ;)

You can also get the ottoman(s) and move it/them around as extra seating, or put them in front and make a large bed area.

When you move the throw pillows, it's a really wide, roomy napping couch!

Recommend hitting the actual store and seeing their couches in real life. Theyre all pretty nice.

http://www.westelm.com/products/walton-sectional-f467/?pkey=csofas-sectionals-couch

edit: btw, I ended up building a large, 4 piece sofa... for about $1500 total.

edit2: I had been in the market for a couch for months, did a ton of online shopping. But you wont make a good decision unless you see/test it in person like Nanker said. Gonna have to suck it up and hit Ikea and West Elm at Atlantic Station. And while you're in town, all the wholesale furniture places in West Midtown.

Very cool, thanks man!

I really like this set..

http://www.westelm.com/products/henry-leather-sectional-g438/?pkey=csofas-sectionals-couch

I'm gonna head out to IKEA tonight since I really want to see if these Chaise things are comfortable...I'm off tomorrow, so maybe I'll hit West Elm, too :thumbsup:

It's a "davenport".

Wow, that word brings back a lot of memories!! Big time nostalgia trip...my extended family back in Erie always called it the "davenport"...good times

Wow, that word brings back a lot of memories!! Big time nostalgia trip...my extended family back in Erie always called it the "davenport"...good times

My grandmother still does (and it still vaguely weirds me out every time she does). I think it's an upper-midwest thing - "Davenport" was an old-time manufacturer of sofas.

Very cool, thanks man!

I really like this set..

http://www.westelm.com/products/henry-leather-sectional-g438/?pkey=csofas-sectionals-couch

I'm gonna head out to IKEA tonight since I really want to see if these Chaise things are comfortable...I'm off tomorrow, so maybe I'll hit West Elm, too :thumbsup:

Did they put it in the Parlor?

My grandmother still does (and it still vaguely weirds me out every time she does). I think it's an upper-midwest thing - "Davenport" was an old-time manufacturer of sofas.

My grandmother would call it a davenport also, and she lived in the central NY area.

EDIT: Ah ha, wikipedia to the rescue...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davenport_(sofa)

Davenport is the name a series of sofas manufactured by the now-defunct A. H. Davenport Company. Due to the popularity of the furniture at the time, the name "Davenport" has become a genericized trademark. It is often used as a synonym for "sofa", especially in the Midwestern United States and in northern New York state. Specifically, it is used in the Adirondack Region and the Tug Hill Plateau, especially amongst those born there before World War II. The so-called Davenports of the northern New York region are often locally made sofa versions of the locally manufactured convertible Adirondack chair.

I am sorry I am late to the convo; just hadn't got around to many of the threads yet. I used to work for LaZBoy (well, Pennsylvania House).

The markup is huge, as someone points out, they said at 70% off they are still marked up. That's right. We had beds for $5,500 (mind you, PA House was pretty high end stuff) that at MRP were $3500 and actual cost around $600-800. Casegoods, upholstered items pretty much, were marked up a great deal. It may be easier to just find a used couch on Craigslist, etc. Especially thru a moving sale.

Avoid soft cushions on the back. Well they are fun to sink in to for a few minutes you cannot get as comfortable with them. My current couch is very softly cushioned and it drives me nuts. Of course, it cost me about $75...so I will not complain. In this area of the country, and even NC, furniture is dirt cheap.

Avoid Ikea. It will not hold up. It will last 5 years at best.

Avoid Ikea. It will not hold up. It will last 5 years at best.

lmao...I just got back from IKEA and was going to tell everyone how great this sofa was..

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29846777#/S09846778/

They have a ten year warranty on this line, so if it craps out after 5 they're gonna take care of me. It's very, very comfortable and the corner piece with the curved ottoman could serve as my bed...I really liked it, and the whole package comes in at under $2k, which is my unofficial price point. Still going to look around, but this sofa rocks.

That being said, some of their less expensive furniture lines are REALLY budget. I can see how some of their stuff would not last more than a few years, but this was one of their better quality pieces. It was built very well. Not even a creak when I sat down on it...very sturdy and solid. It would fit in my apartment perfectly.

Did they put it in the Parlor?

My family back in Erie wasn't sophisticated enough to have a parlor lol. They were all 2nd generation hard working Polish folks.

Name brands were the bomb I guess!

My grandmother always called the refrigerator: "The Frigidaire." You'd think she would have used the term "ice box" since she was born in 1910.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Name brands were the bomb I guess!

My grandmother always called the refrigerator: "The Frigidaire." You'd think she would have used the term "ice box" since she was born in 1910.

I believe I've seen stuckincincy refer to cars as "horseless carriages"...

• 2 months later...

Well, just in case anyone is interested, here is what I decided to go with...

AJs Movie Room Seating

The ten year warranty from IKEA was what finally caused me to pull the trigger, cause I really did like this thing when I sat on it at the store. I'm very impressed with the comfort and the build quality. I'm 6'2", 310lb and this thing doesn't complain at all. It can fit four comfortable, and so far the guests I've had over for a movie have given positive reviews. The price was very reasonable, too.

I'm definitely an IKEA fan!

AJs Movie Room Seating

The ten year warranty from IKEA was what finally caused me to pull the trigger, cause I really did like this thing when I sat on it at the store. I'm very impressed with the comfort and the build quality. I'm 6'2", 310lb and this thing doesn't complain at all. It can fit four comfortable, and so far the guests I've had over for a movie have given positive reviews. The price was very reasonable, too.

Sweet setup. Don't let the dog up there even though he looks like a good dog.

Anyway, you should do your web show from there to show off the whole new setup.

Any of you guys familiar with IKEA furniture?

I was looking through their sofas and the Kivik line looks really nice...

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79875239#/S99895024/

Wifey and I bought set of IKEA chairs, ottomans and sofa for the TV room. It was among the little furniture we elected to move with us out of Dallas. Far less expensive .... far less expensive ... did I say far less expensive than other stuff the wifey has purchased and holding up nicely.

BTW I wanted to post a link as a joke for shall we say an adult activity chair .... google did not provide anything that was suitable for this board but there was some very funny stuff out there ... the creativity of the human mind :lol::lol::lol:

AJs Movie Room Seating

Looks good! and you definitely cant beat a 10 year warranty. Give me a shout the next time you come down to Ikea, it's only a couple blocks away from our Bills Bar. We need to grab a beer!

Looks good! and you definitely cant beat a 10 year warranty. Give me a shout the next time you come down to Ikea, it's only a couple blocks away from our Bills Bar. We need to grab a beer!

I'll take you up on that! :thumbsup:

There are a few other things there I want to pick up, so I plan to be back again before the end of football season for sure

Wifey and I bought set of IKEA chairs, ottomans and sofa for the TV room. It was among the little furniture we elected to move with us out of Dallas. Far less expensive .... far less expensive ... did I say far less expensive than other stuff the wifey has purchased and holding up nicely.

BTW I wanted to post a link as a joke for shall we say an adult activity chair .... google did not provide anything that was suitable for this board but there was some very funny stuff out there ... the creativity of the human mind :lol::lol::lol:

:lol: I can only imagine what came up on the search lol

I'm glad to hear your stuff is still holding up...I think those who mentioned prior durability issues were correct, but it appears that some of the nicer IKEA lines have either fixed that issue or didn't have it to begin with...not really sure. But this couch is solid and the cover is a precise fit over the foundation. I expect this will stay in good shape for at least the duration of the warranty.

Sweet setup. Don't let the dog up there even though he looks like a good dog.

Anyway, you should do your web show from there to show off the whole new setup.

As you can see in the pic, his dick harness is clearly intact. Should that ever not be the case, I will heed your words.

And yes, that is a great idea for the web show!