Two positions short of being a great team?

Every power ranking I've read has the Bills in the bottom 5. One has the Bills dead last.

Further, I can't believe all the negativity from actual fans. We're all tired of the past decade of futility. But I see this team headed in the right direction.

I haven't had this much offseason optimism since Bledsoe was QB. Gailey and Co. have done a remarkable job improving our defense. We have a stud DE and NT, a much improved linebacker core, and we already had a decent secondary. We have three good receivers and just added a utility player in Smith. We have two great RBs, one of whom (Spiller) I can't imagine not being a star someday. Our QB is at least average; I think he can only improve. And we have Wannstedt.

The only thing keeping us from being a dominant force in the AFC East is a TE (Boss, we need you) and OT. Don't quite understand how we haven't picked up anyone yet, but I honestly don't see any other weak spots other than those two positions.

With the addition of new unis, I firmly believe this is the start of a new Bills team. I think if we get some more help on our offensive line, we can beat the Jets and even the Pats once and sweep the Fins.

Just my two cents. Does anyone share my reasoned optimism? Or am I just setting myself up for another disappointment?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was incredibly optimistic at this time last year, but the team's start to the season brought reality crashing down like a ton of bricks. Obviously, the positive signs that developed as the season progressed led me, and others, to believe that the optimism wasn't necessarily so out of line--- but it became evident that patience was key with young talent and a coaching overhaul with new schemes. The defense was atrocious all year, though--- but many, if not all, of the front 7 issues have been addressed, which includes the hiring of Wannstedt.

So yeah--- aside from becoming more patient, I didn't learn my lesson from 2010's disappointing start and will be right there with you with you in line expecting special things.

Unfortunately, Kevin Boss signed with the Raiders this morning.

Our offensive tackles are weak and need to be upgraded. Right guard is an unknown at this time. We need a starting caliber tight end. Not sure about our defensive ends, particularly whether Dareus is suited to play end and whether he can be a major contributor as a rookie. Troupe needs to step up at the nose tackle position. Assuming Merriman is back to his old form, we still have a need at the other outside linebacker spot. Hopefully between Scott and Wilson we will be okay at strong safety.

Having said that, I think Wood and Levitre are very solid, and we have some depth and talent at the wide receiver, cornerback and running back positions.

Overall, we are more than two positions away from being a great team, but hopefully progress is being made.

I was incredibly optimistic at this time last year, but the team's start to the season brought reality crashing down like a ton of bricks. Obviously, the positive signs that developed as the season progressed led me, and others, to believe that the optimism wasn't necessarily so out of line--- but it became evident that patience was key with young talent and a coaching overhaul with new schemes. The defense was atrocious all year, though--- but many, if not all, of the front 7 issues have been addressed, which includes the hiring of Wannstedt.

So yeah--- aside from becoming more patient, I didn't learn my lesson from 2010's disappointing start and will be right there with you with you in line expecting special things.

Unfortunately, Kevin Boss signed with the Raiders this morning.

I liked the Wannstache hiring, but I'm reminded of the old Sherlock Holmes line, "I can't make bricks without clay, Watson."

We are more than two positions away from greatness. Not the least of which is depth.

I have yet to see anything that fills me with optimism. All I've got is another regime who believes in bringing their bands back together/trying to re-create the past and a glut of talent at a different skill position (WR) than Jauron had serious man-love for (DB). They did get Dareus in the draft, but I'm not going to pretend that he's the answer to all our problems on D.

As long as Ralph and Co. is content to run the Bills like we're the Kansas City Royals of the NFL and just hope that we get lucky bounces of the oblong ball rather than win based on overwhelming talent where it matters most (front seven, OL/blocking)... we're not going anywhere.

I'm not sure about two positions myself, but Buffalo went 4-12 last year, and 3 went into over time. Give a catch and a kick and they could've gone 7-9. Take Trents starts and give a game or two to Fitz (we should have beat the fins). That made us 8-8. We are a much improved team with additions on the defense and with DW helping out Goeorge on the coaching with the D. The offense is greatly improved with the line alone having another year to be together and Fitz taking 1st team snaps and being the man from the start. I really can't see this team being better than 8-8 this year. If the Bills do anything under 500 then it will be a bad year for them. Everyone says the Pats and Jets, but feel the pats will have a very bad year this year. The offensive line is not that good and the defensive line is switching too much and Albert Haynesworth will be a huge bust and a cancer. Ocho is not that great and has a big mouth and will bother Brady big time. The jets will have struggles on the defensive side of the house. They will be without the NT and with the cornerbacks there will be a struggle and fighting. I feel Buffalo might even split games with these guys this year. I can see it happening.

We're about 6 positions short of being a great team.

1) QB - I know I know, Fitz did great, blah blah blah. He's good but not really great.

2) OLB - Merriman? Not sold. Kelsay? ugh. I want edge rushers like a Harrison, Mathews, Orakpo.

3) Tackles - BOTH LT and RT. Sorry but I'm still not sold on Bell.

4) Safeties -I don't even need to say anything here do I?

5) ILB - Average ILB core

6) CBs - I havent seen Williams yet but McGee can never stay healthy and McKelvin hasn't done anything yet.

Edited by DreReed83

Let's play a couple games and see what we have.

PTR

We don't need to play a couple games to see what we have. It's the same stuff every year. Here. I will recap the 2011-2012 season for u...

- Preseason, fans get hyped because we look great. OMG. Nick Barnett and Merriman. OMGZ. We're gonna be improved. We look great in preseason.

- Reg season starts. Injuries start to mount and our defense continues to struggle against the run. We'll be swept by the Patsies and Jets. We'll split with the Fins 1-1. Fans begin to get pessimistic. BOOOO CHAN...Why didn't we do this? George Edwards sucks !!!! yells the crowd. More Maybin and Kelsay crying. We'll lose a couple close games in OT only to finish the season 6-10.

Then next year we'll do it all again. Decent draft pick. Mediocre free agent signings. More booing. It's what Dane Cook calls a Vicious Cycle.

We'll start the season 3-8 with our wins coming against the Bengals, Skins, and Fins.

Every power ranking I've read has the Bills in the bottom 5. One has the Bills dead last.

Further, I can't believe all the negativity from actual fans. We're all tired of the past decade of futility. But I see this team headed in the right direction.

I haven't had this much offseason optimism since Bledsoe was QB. Gailey and Co. have done a remarkable job improving our defense. We have a stud DE and NT, a much improved linebacker core, and we already had a decent secondary. We have three good receivers and just added a utility player in Smith. We have two great RBs, one of whom (Spiller) I can't imagine not being a star someday. Our QB is at least average; I think he can only improve. And we have Wannstedt.

The only thing keeping us from being a dominant force in the AFC East is a TE (Boss, we need you) and OT. Don't quite understand how we haven't picked up anyone yet, but I honestly don't see any other weak spots other than those two positions.

With the addition of new unis, I firmly believe this is the start of a new Bills team. I think if we get some more help on our offensive line, we can beat the Jets and even the Pats once and sweep the Fins.

Just my two cents. Does anyone share my reasoned optimism? Or am I just setting myself up for another disappointment?

I love your optimism, but kinda think you may be a little over optimistic and might be setting yourself of for the annual Buffalo Bills fans disappointment. A couple items with regards to your post:

-I really like Williams at NT, but who is the stud at DE? I know you can't be talking about Dareus as a "stud" yet, he hasn't even played in a preseason game yet, much less the real deal.

-Who are the 2 great running backs? Fred Jackson is good, especially considering where he came from. You can't be calling Spiller, the biggest draft bust from the entire 2010 NFL draft a great back can you? Potential is one thing, calling someone great means they have already proven they are great and have accomplished something.

-Not sure you can be a "great team" with a QB who is "average"-your words, and I agree with them.

-We do need a TE for sure, but with Chan's offense even if we got one would he use him?

-Not sure new unis can help make a team win at all, but they sure are a major improvement over the terrible unis they just switched from.

-I don't think any team that was 4-12, drafted 3rd in the draft, and only added what we added in the off season can have just two weak spots. With ability coupled with injury history, our whole offensive line is a hole, with the possible exception of Levitre (I like Wood alot, but he has trouble staying healthy). We had the worst run defense in the NFL, just adding a rookie defensive lineman isn't going to take it from "worst" to "great." We are yet to see if the linebackers are better, we have two veterans who played a total of 4 out of a possible 36 games last year combined due to health reasons. It is especially risky to rely so much on Merriman.

I had similar optimism for years, but for the past 5 or 6 years, I have been pessimistic big time, in that if they ever were to have a successful season, I would rather finally be surprised then disappointed each and every season. Go Bills!

Edited by billsfreak

I've already posted my reasons for being optimistic (10 Reasons Why the Bills Won't Suck) but I still have doubts when I allow myself to think rationally. Besides OL, the Defensive front seven is still a concern. Although there have been meaningful changes to last year's squad, the Bills were #32 against the run in 2010. I'll feel better when they actually shut down someone's rushing attack.

Simple answers:

1) Gailey doesn't make use of the TE much so no sense getting one.

2) Getting a good OT would mean admitting that we screwed up our tackle positions by letting Peters and trying to make Langston "the road grader RT" Walker a LT. Langston was better at RT than anything we have had since. It would also be an admission that the junk we have been trying to get by on at OT is not good enough. 3 years wasted at those positions.

Simple answers:

2) Getting a good OT would mean admitting that we screwed up our tackle positions by letting Peters and trying to make Langston "the road grader RT" Walker a LT. Langston was better at RT than anything we have had since. It would also be an admission that the junk we have been trying to get by on at OT is not good enough. 3 years wasted at those positions.

So does this mean the Bills can never draft or sign an OT??? :blink: The Bills got a solid lineman (Wood) from the Eagles pick and the feel Bell will develop into a good LT. I don't think anyone is losing sleep over a decision made by the last regime.

The thing everyone overlooks is that the O-line has to remain stable for a while so they can develop a chemistry. Injuries happen and they can't be predicted or avoided. But if you think you have the talent, you have to give them some time before you know if you need to make a change.

PTR

Simple answers:

Chandler had two TD catches in practice last night.

We're about 6 positions short of being a great team.

1) QB - I know I know, Fitz did great, blah blah blah. He's good but not really great.

2) OLB - Merriman? Not sold. Kelsay? ugh. I want edge rushers like a Harrison, Mathews, Orakpo.

3) Tackles - BOTH LT and RT. Sorry but I'm still not sold on Bell.

4) Safeties -I don't even need to say anything here do I?

5) ILB - Average ILB core

6) CBs - I havent seen Williams yet but McGee can never stay healthy and McKelvin hasn't done anything yet.

1.) Fitz threw for 3,000 yards last year and 23 TDs in only 13 games, make it sixteen and maybe he gets 3,600 and 27TDs, those are solid numbers from your QB.

2.) This is an area we struggle in, I'll agree, however I feel the upgrades made at the D-line positions will take some of the heat off the linebackers, especially in the run game. Plus we haven't even seen Merriman on the field yet, for all we know he could be back to form from 3 years ago.

3.) Bell is solid in pass protection, which is huge for LT, plus he's only been improving year after year and if that trend continues this year I think we'll be set. RT we need an upgrade, totally agree.

4.) Byrd may have hit a bit of a sophomore slump when it comes to INT production but I feel he showed much more capability in the run game, plus its not like he was getting burned in coverage. George Wilson is a good leader and a person who has shown the ability to maybe make some plays, we'll see if he shows up or not, also we can consider Aaron Williams at this position who's having a very strong camp as well as Bryant Scott.

5.) Average yes, but better than last year. I don't need to point out the specifics on why Barnett is a huge upgrade over Poz I don't think, plus our young guys are another year older and another year into the scheme.

6.) As I said, Williams is having a strong camp, and to be honest McKelvin hasn't been looking to bad at all. I think this is the only position we have any real depth besides WR.

Glass is half full for me, I knew this was gonna be a long process from the day Chan and Buddy came on board, they even said it would be so to expect anything really in the first year was ridiculous. We improved as the season went on and seemed to be a very level headed football team who believesin our coach and his philosophies. GO BILLS!

I don't share your optimism quite as much, but there's no doubt the team does have more talent this year on paper. What this team needs to do is execute now. There are some serious expectations on some of these athletes, and it's time they get angry, quit all the hopeful and wishy-washy comments and play some "punch you in the mouth" football. Know you are better than your opponent, then go prove it.

Let's play some damn football already, I'm tired of watching great practice highlights. It's time this bunch of pansies earns our optimism and I'm waiting for them to step up.

Win some games you bunch of whiners!!

I'm still waiting for the baby.

Edited by McKinleys Curse

Why is everyone around always so freaked out about Tight Ends. COACH GAILY DOES NOT DO TIGHT ENDS. He does 5 wide and stuff like that. Adding a Tight End to this team would be adding a guy that spends most of his time on the sidelines while the 5 wide unit is in.

Yes but not because of Spiller or Wanny and we will be fine at TE and ok at OT so I guess we are pretty much there, plaoffs baby!