Two positions short of being a great team?

So does this mean the Bills can never draft or sign an OT??? :blink: The Bills got a solid lineman (Wood) from the Eagles pick and the feel Bell will develop into a good LT. I don't think anyone is losing sleep over a decision made by the last regime.

The thing everyone overlooks is that the O-line has to remain stable for a while so they can develop a chemistry. Injuries happen and they can't be predicted or avoided. But if you think you have the talent, you have to give them some time before you know if you need to make a change.

PTR

Of course they can draft a good one. The best example of this is first round QBs. They are almost always given the start and 4 - 5 years to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they suck as bad as most fans know after 2 or 3.

Chandler had two TD catches in practice last night.

Doesn't mean a TE will never catch a pass man. LOL. It just means that in reads and progressions they aren't at the top of the list.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every power ranking I've read has the Bills in the bottom 5. One has the Bills dead last.

Further, I can't believe all the negativity from actual fans. We're all tired of the past decade of futility. But I see this team headed in the right direction.

I haven't had this much offseason optimism since Bledsoe was QB. Gailey and Co. have done a remarkable job improving our defense. We have a stud DE and NT, a much improved linebacker core, and we already had a decent secondary. We have three good receivers and just added a utility player in Smith. We have two great RBs, one of whom (Spiller) I can't imagine not being a star someday. Our QB is at least average; I think he can only improve. And we have Wannstedt.

The only thing keeping us from being a dominant force in the AFC East is a TE (Boss, we need you) and OT. Don't quite understand how we haven't picked up anyone yet, but I honestly don't see any other weak spots other than those two positions.

With the addition of new unis, I firmly believe this is the start of a new Bills team. I think if we get some more help on our offensive line, we can beat the Jets and even the Pats once and sweep the Fins.

Just my two cents. Does anyone share my reasoned optimism? Or am I just setting myself up for another disappointment?

I agree that we are heading in the right direction, but I think there are still a lot questions on this team. I have to say I like what Nix is doing though (except that pesky first draft).

Our offensive tackles are weak and need to be upgraded. Right guard is an unknown at this time. We need a starting caliber tight end. Not sure about our defensive ends, particularly whether Dareus is suited to play end and whether he can be a major contributor as a rookie. Troupe needs to step up at the nose tackle position. Assuming Merriman is back to his old form, we still have a need at the other outside linebacker spot. Hopefully between Scott and Wilson we will be okay at strong safety.

Having said that, I think Wood and Levitre are very solid, and we have some depth and talent at the wide receiver, cornerback and running back positions.

Overall, we are more than two positions away from being a great team, but hopefully progress is being made.

Agreed. You hit the nail on the head. We have no OL. Only Wood and Levitre. The Tackles suck and so does the starting RG. We have no threat at Tight End. We haven't had a tight end since Jay Riemersma. ONLY bodies to fill the position.

Defense is a question mark? We're not sure what's gonna happen there. They sucked last season. I could have run through them. They got some players, but only time will tell.

This team is a project, 1 or 2 solid drafts away from being anything reaching the playoffs

Andrew Luck seems to be very prominant in the Bills Future...

Look....I too hope that the Bills will start to win some respect in the NFL, but the optimism is starting to get ridiculous. Bills fans tend to over value mediocre players simply because they show flashes of brilliance here and there, but no consistency. I understand that there is a strong sense of loyalty to the players. I get that the Bills were a catch or two from more victories last season....however they don't have a column in the standings for almost. It is time that we as Bills fans step back and get a grip on reality. Yes there are some potentially great young players. Yes we are on the right path. Yes they still have a ways to go to catch their division. No Fitzpatrick is not a franchise quarterback. No Stevie Johnson is not a proven number 1. No we do not have a great pass rush or running back core. Have faith, but don't kid yourselves into thinking we can win the division (unless God happens to be a Bills fan this year). Just wanted to throw in my two cents.

Simple answers:

1) Gailey doesn't make use of the TE much so no sense getting one.

2) Getting a good OT would mean admitting that we screwed up our tackle positions by letting Peters and trying to make Langston "the road grader RT" Walker a LT. Langston was better at RT than anything we have had since. It would also be an admission that the junk we have been trying to get by on at OT is not good enough. 3 years wasted at those positions.

I don't think they're not trying with regard to the tackles. It's just never worked out. Look at lines around the league and you are going to be hard-pressed to find any one of them made up entirely of first-day picks. Meanwhile, the Bills have a first (Wood), a second (Levitre), both very good, two thirds in Rinehart and Urbik battling it out for RG, Pears (UDFA, but former starter in the league) and Bell (7th Rd). That makeup, just on draft position, compares with most teams. They need first and foremost to avoid injuries and maintain good conditioning. The only way this team develops is with a majority of the line playing together for at least 10-13 starts.

Honestly, I think if you want to point to one key development for the Bills OL, it would be to see Eric Wood seize control at C, and to become the leader of the line. Every good team has a great anchor at that position. Hangartner is about league-average at best. Levitre and Wood next to one another could form a really nice interior tandem that is upper third of the league-level.

I don't think they're not trying with regard to the tackles. It's just never worked out. Look at lines around the league and you are going to be hard-pressed to find any one of them made up entirely of first-day picks. Meanwhile, the Bills have a first (Wood), a second (Levitre), both very good, two thirds in Rinehart and Urbik battling it out for RG, Pears (UDFA, but former starter in the league) and Bell (7th Rd). That makeup, just on draft position, compares with most teams. They need first and foremost to avoid injuries and maintain good conditioning. The only way this team develops is with a majority of the line playing together for at least 10-13 starts.

Honestly, I think if you want to point to one key development for the Bills OL, it would be to see Eric Wood seize control at C, and to become the leader of the line. Every good team has a great anchor at that position. Hangartner is about league-average at best. Levitre and Wood next to one another could form a really nice interior tandem that is upper third of the league-level.

I agree on Wood. I was actually quite annoyed when we did it again and drafted a guy that played a particular position for 3 or 4 years in college and then played him somewhere else. Wood should have been the center from day one in my opinion. He was a great pick. All I can say is that the successful running teams have good offensive lines. Either Fred Jackson sucks or our line sucks as has been evidenced by 6 rushing TDs last year. Pitiful! Pass blocking isn't any better.

Good teams see the need for a good line or a very hard to come by probowl if not hall of fame QB. There are very few QBs of that caliber. There are however lots of good O-lineman out there. You just have to spend the money on them not guys like Kelsay or other bums we have given charity to. Good teams draft until they get it right with relatively high picks and or they bring in guys that are STARTERS not just somebody to compete with and loose out to late round picks and UFA development projects. If you TRY with better talent, meaning higher draft picks and better quality FAs then you have a better chance of it "working out".

This phrase is somewhat applicable but the saying goes..."I can tell you what you need to do to be successful but I can't make you do it." An original of mine that I am also quite fond of is "If you want to see a change you have to make a change." We can't keep trying to get by on the cheap on O-line and expect a different result.

Edited by PDaDdy

I agree on Wood. I was actually quite annoyed when we did it again and drafted a guy that played a particular position for 3 or 4 years in college and then played him somewhere else. Wood should have been the center from day one in my opinion. He was a great pick. All I can say is that the successful running teams have good offensive lines. Either Fred Jackson sucks or our line sucks as has been evidenced by 6 rushing TDs last year. Pitiful! Pass blocking isn't any better.

Good teams see the need for a good line or a very hard to come by probowl if not hall of fame QB. There are very few QBs of that caliber. There are however lots of good O-lineman out there. You just have to spend the money on them not guys like Kelsay or other bums we have given charity to. Good teams draft until they get it right with relatively high picks and or they bring in guys that are STARTERS not just somebody to compete with and loose out to late round picks and UFA development projects. If you TRY with better talent, meaning higher draft picks and better quality FAs then you have a better chance of it "working out".

This phrase is somewhat applicable but the saying goes..."I can tell you what you need to do to be successful but I can't make you do it." An original of mine that I am also quite fond of is "If you want to see a change you have to make a change." We can't keep trying to get by on the cheap on O-line and expect a different result.

The problem is that so many pieces have to fall into place, even for a team with a great plan for FA and personnel. It's why one out of 32 teams wins the thing. The Bills could have had the best offer out there for Clabo. He could have been using the Bills for leverage only. We simply don't know. Short of Clabo, Doug Free and maybe a handful of other guys, it wasn't happening in FA this season. Both those two and Blalock re-signed with their teams, winners who had a built-in advantage. Jared Gaither can't get a bite from the Raiders, which tells me to stay away.

Then there's the draft, where I don't feel like we're doing an adequate job, but also don't feel like we should reach for guys who aren't major improvements over the status quo. If the potential draftee grades as a B-minus, while Bell grades as a C-plus who is already in the system, is it really worth it to put in the long work of teaching a new guy in the hopes that he reaches that marginally better ceiling? Or is it better to hope that Bell, with another year of familiarity with his linemates and one year in the Gailey system, can improve? It's a tough job, and as much as I love sports, I am glad this isn't my job.

A tight end would really help, maybe Chandler is the guy especially inside the 5. WR is good with depth, RB is fine, QB is fine. OL- obviously a possible problem at tackle but it's not like it's pathetic. DL is solid should be much better against the rush. The depth with Troup now We could benefit from a pass rushing DE. LB - biggest ceiling could be great at the very least much better than last year. Secondary is interesting- not a weakness - but at this point not a strength but it could be. The two missing players are a pass rushing DE and OT

The problem is that so many pieces have to fall into place, even for a team with a great plan for FA and personnel. It's why one out of 32 teams wins the thing. The Bills could have had the best offer out there for Clabo. He could have been using the Bills for leverage only. We simply don't know. Short of Clabo, Doug Free and maybe a handful of other guys, it wasn't happening in FA this season. Both those two and Blalock re-signed with their teams, winners who had a built-in advantage. Jared Gaither can't get a bite from the Raiders, which tells me to stay away.

Then there's the draft, where I don't feel like we're doing an adequate job, but also don't feel like we should reach for guys who aren't major improvements over the status quo. If the potential draftee grades as a B-minus, while Bell grades as a C-plus who is already in the system, is it really worth it to put in the long work of teaching a new guy in the hopes that he reaches that marginally better ceiling? Or is it better to hope that Bell, with another year of familiarity with his linemates and one year in the Gailey system, can improve? It's a tough job, and as much as I love sports, I am glad this isn't my job.

There was better than what we appear to have out there. If the front office thinks or more importantly if the guy that is right for the job really is on the team you stick with them. But how long do you have to keep waiting and hoping that somebody gets it and steps up? We have been so starved for talent in Buffalo that most of us have forgotten what it looks like. Guys that have talent all the talk is about how good they look, how awesome they are doing in such a short period of time. Guys without talent all the talk is about "hope", "maybe" or "more time".

You bring up a great point that it IS so difficult for all of the pieces to fall into place and other top free agents were retained by their teams who had an inside track. Not yelling at you...BUT THIS IS WHY YOU NEED TO RESIGN YOUR GOOD PLAYERS!!!! We caught lightning in a bottle and hit the lottery by turning an UFA TE into a probowl LT in Jason Peters. As soon as he wanted to be paid fair market value for his talents he was traded away.

Good teams keep their talent bad teams let it walk. No other way to put it.

Edited by PDaDdy

There was better than what we appear to have out there. If the front office thinks or more importantly if the guy that is right for the job really is on the team you stick with them. But how long do you have to keep waiting and hoping that somebody gets it and steps up? We have been so starved for talent in Buffalo that most of us have forgotten what it looks like. Guys that have talent all the talk is about how good they look, how awesome they are doing in such a short period of time. Guys without talent all the talk is about "hope", "maybe" or "more time".

You bring up a great point that it IS so difficult for all of the pieces to fall into place and other top free agents were retained by their teams who had an inside track. Not yelling at you...BUT THIS IS WHY YOU NEED TO RESIGN YOUR GOOD PLAYERS!!!! We caught lightning in a bottle and hit the lottery by turning an UFA TE into a probowl LT in Jason Peters. As soon as he wanted to be paid fair market value for his talents he was traded away.

Coaching can make all the difference in the world. Are our coaches good enough on offense and defense to make the most use of the talent we have--whatever it is, to carry the day. Once the day is carried, a bit of luck sure helps.

The Buffalo Bills are not as bad people think, they will win 6 games. In order for the Bills to be great the need a great QB or they need a great roster overall to support Fitzpatrick. I think that Fitzpatrick is like Jake Delhomme in his prime. Both are fairly good but need a good run game and a great D to make a superbowl run. So to answer your question, the bills are a QB and Pass Rusher (either lb or lineman) away from being great.

Edited by auburnbillsbacker

That's why I at least applaud the effort to get some of the talent that we later hope to keep. But there's lots more to be done.

You idiots have to stop drinking the KOOLAID. Urbik, Pears, and Wrotto were all waiver wire acquisitions. Rinehart was signed from Washington's practice squad. To expect anything out of ANY of these stiffs is simply --DELUSIONAL--. Do you seriously believe that Pittsburgh waived Urbik for no good reason???? Get your head outa your azzz.... As long as you KOOLAID drinkers accept this trash that the Bills front office gives you, all you will get is more of the same....

Bell is already 27 yrs old -- How much more time are you gonna give this guy to prove that he can play COMPETENTLY???

Pears is 29...

Quite simply these guys ALL S*CK...

Edited by DefenseWins

You idiots have to stop drinking the KOOLAID. Urbik, Pears, and Wrotto were all waiver wire acquisitions. Rinehart was signed from Washington's practice squad. To expect anything out of ANY of these stiffs is simply --DELUSIONAL--. Do you seriously believe that Pittsburgh waived Urbik for no good reason???? Get your head outa your azzz.... As long as you KOOLAID drinkers accept this trash that the Bills front office gives you, all you will get is more of the same....

Bell is already 27 yrs old -- How much more time are you gonna give this guy to prove that he can play COMPETENTLY???

Pears is 29...

Quite simply these guys ALL S*CK...

Right on. Thanks for the cold shower. The tone could have been a little better but this is what I am trying to get across. We have been so talent starved we are actually discussing who will be the king of the misfit offensive tackles. If somebody develops that is a bonus not a plan for success. It's like planning your retirement by buying lottery tickets. Sure, if you get enough tickets you'll hit. Unfortunately you might be dead before you buy the winning one.

Edited by PDaDdy

Every power ranking I've read has the Bills in the bottom 5. One has the Bills dead last.

Further, I can't believe all the negativity from actual fans. We're all tired of the past decade of futility. But I see this team headed in the right direction.

I haven't had this much offseason optimism since Bledsoe was QB. Gailey and Co. have done a remarkable job improving our defense. We have a stud DE and NT, a much improved linebacker core, and we already had a decent secondary. We have three good receivers and just added a utility player in Smith. We have two great RBs, one of whom (Spiller) I can't imagine not being a star someday. Our QB is at least average; I think he can only improve. And we have Wannstedt.

The only thing keeping us from being a dominant force in the AFC East is a TE (Boss, we need you) and OT. Don't quite understand how we haven't picked up anyone yet, but I honestly don't see any other weak spots other than those two positions.

With the addition of new unis, I firmly believe this is the start of a new Bills team. I think if we get some more help on our offensive line, we can beat the Jets and even the Pats once and sweep the Fins.

Just my two cents. Does anyone share my reasoned optimism? Or am I just setting myself up for another disappointment?

You are setting yourself up for another disappointment. The Bills are bad. Plain and simple. And the rest of the league will be better than last year. The Bills are 3 or 4 key injuries away from 2 - 14.

I think that the 4-4 finish after starting 0-8 is more indicative of how the team will preform this upcoming season.

We are a few positions short of being a legit playoff contender. Tightend and RT are a major concern on the offensive side of the ball. The line backing core is really shaky on defense. And if you don't think that Barnett and Merriman when healthy are good starters but that's a lot of production being risked on two guys with recent injury histories.

Andre Davis is old and has major injury issues, Kelsay isn't a linebacker, Moats is young with promise but not a guy without warts to his game, Sheppard is a 3rd round pick and isn't without concerns, Maybin is a bust, and Torbor is below average at best.