Any Chance we Sign Whitner back

Nasty

Yeah, he's definitely saying the right things on Twitter now. I think he's been brought down to Earth. Question is, will Nix give him a second chance? It doesn't sound like it... but frankly, he's a solid player and would improve our secondary. How much he is worth, is not something I can judge though.

Nix made it sound like Donte' didn't want to be in Buffalo. Now that he's changing his tune, Nix may as well.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering if there is any chance we sign Whitner back. I think our secondary is going to be tested much more this year then in the past since our D-line is getting bigger and better and more equiped to stop the run. I feel our secondary is in for it. I would like Antonio more if we can get him, but I will also settle for Whitner (just for his hitting especially the hitting on #85 in NE). Whitner Byrd McGee and Antonio would be nice with flo in the slot.

Whitner's strength is his run stopping ability. If teams run at us less often, that deemphasizes the thing he does best. George Wilson is better than Whitner in pass coverage, so he's the guy I'd want on the field if teams start passing more.

Even without Whitner, the Bills have pretty good depth at safety. A starting tandem of George Wilson and Jairus Byrd could be backed up by Scott and Searcy. If Whitner can't crack the starting lineup, and if the Bills are satisfied with the depth they have at safety, Whitner may not be a good fit. Surely there must be some other team which lacks a starting caliber SS. Whitner would represent a significant upgrade for that team, and perhaps should sign with them.

Jesus, I'm almost starting to feel sorry for the guy now. He negotiated himself right out of a job. Poor li'l Donte.

On second thought, I presume he didn't completely blow that #8 contract he stole from Buffalo, so screw him.

Just wondering if there is any chance we sign Whitner back. I think our secondary is going to be tested much more this year then in the past since our D-line is getting bigger and better and more equiped to stop the run. I feel our secondary is in for it. I would like Antonio more if we can get him, but I will also settle for Whitner (just for his hitting especially the hitting on #85 in NE). Whitner Byrd McGee and Antonio would be nice with flo in the slot.

I hope not. I really don't think Whitner helps us defensively. He can hit, that is his strong point. However he tackles with his shoulders, he often wiffs on his big hits, or bounces off. This leads to occasional huge plays.

More importantly, he is consistently awful in coverage. He gets blown away by even average TE's, so much that the coaching staff had to use Bryan Scott when they played good ones. He makes no picks, forces few fumbles, and breaks up few passes. Both Scott and especially Wilson have better cover skills, Scott also has the size to play physical (after all he played LB at one point). We also have our young safety Searcy.

Regardless of money, I don't see any reason to keep Whitner.

hope not....if I see him get burned by a slow white tight end one more time......

EXACTLY. For me its not about the money, he just flat out isn't good...

I understand it's tempting to go bargain shopping on Donte, but do you really want a guy who has nearly twittered himself out of the league? He's a good player if the scope of his duties are narrow. However, this is *NOT* a guy you want players to take after..his lack of mental fortitude is his biggest flaw and not a poison you want in the locker room.

It is not ok to sulk and mope because fans say mean things about you on the internet.

I understand it's tempting to go bargain shopping on Donte, but do you really want a guy who has nearly twittered himself out of the league? He's a good player if the scope of his duties are narrow. However, this is *NOT* a guy you want players to take after..his lack of mental fortitude is his biggest flaw and not a poison you want in the locker room.

It is not ok to sulk and mope because fans say mean things about you on the internet.

Exactly. It's time to move on. They can find a Donte Whitner quality saftey anytime they want.

The rest of the league obviously considers him part of the bargin-bin of mediocre players that always hangs around in FA after the top talent has been signed. There's no reason for the Bills to look on him any differently.

Does this mean he's a Buc or is it shoutout to the Buckeyes?:

DonteWhitner TWHITNER

Go Bucks!

1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

»

TWHITNER

DonteWhitner TWHITNER

Be patient were working this out....God Bless

8 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Does this mean he's a Buc or is it shoutout to the Buckeyes?:

DonteWhitner TWHITNER

Go Bucks!

1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

»

TWHITNER

DonteWhitner TWHITNER

Be patient were working this out....God Bless

8 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

maybe he is going back to play in college where he can cover a TE

How would you feel about this Dave?

Bill: I think he's a reasonably solid NFL player who gives his all, and we need those. I also don't think he's a bad person. I think the salary offer should be relatively modest, and if we come to terms with him, I'll be fine with it. Given the recent draft, though, perhaps the Bills have moved on. We'll see soon enough.

The rest of the league obviously considers him part of the bargin-bin of mediocre players that always hangs around in FA after the top talent has been signed. There's no reason for the Bills to look on him any differently.

I think that it's clear the rest of the league doesn't put him in the elite category that he puts himself. He's starting to recognize that he's not viewed the same way.

He's still going to get a decent contract and not a "bargain-bin" one. He's a solid NFL starter, there really aren't all that many of them.

Bill: I think he's a reasonably solid NFL player who gives his all, and we need those. I also don't think he's a bad person. I think the salary offer should be relatively modest, and if we come to terms with him, I'll be fine with it. Given the recent draft, though, perhaps the Bills have moved on. We'll see soon enough.

I see your point, but I hope that the Bills devote resources to OT and TE (Boss).

I see your point, but I hope that the Bills devote resources to OT and TE (Boss).

As I argued with the Brad Smith signing, if DW costs ~$3 M/yr, it will not affect our signing any OL or Boss (why hasn't he attracted more interest ?). Problem is, there arent too many FA OL out there. Carey ? a potentially injured McKinnie ?

As I argued with the Brad Smith signing, if DW costs ~$3 M/yr, it will not affect our signing any OL or Boss (why hasn't he attracted more interest ?). Problem is, there arent too many FA OL out there. Carey ? a potentially injured McKinnie ?

I hear you my friend. But I am not at peace with the overall mindset of neglecting positions that matter so much. They will only spend so much, and signing Whitner lends itself to more of the same imo.

I believe I read that Nix's offer to Whitner still stands. No?

I greatly doubt it...Especially now that it's crystal clear Lil' Donte is not getting the offers he thought he would get...The Bills are not exactly in the business of free-spending...I'm pretty sure that deal is LONG gone...

But who knows with this bunch... B-)