Any Chance we Sign Whitner back

Nasty

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it. Someone with an ego like his would be difficult to take an offer from the Bills that likely isn't even on the table at the moment. I think he'd rather drop his price for another team.

Agreed. And employing someone who thinks they are underpaid from Day 1 is a bad idea. If the Bills do this the Whitner whining will begin almost immediately.

Whitner is definitely not coming back.....according to his twitter...unless I read it all wrong.....his agent tried calling the Bills again but they weren't interested.

Au contraire - he tweeted 4 hours back that "I want to come back ..." I presume he meant to say "to Buffalo". I don't think he has closed the door on that option. So, considering that the Bengals interest is likely waning, he may be more willing to come back for cheap

Whitner is definitely not coming back.....according to his twitter...unless I read it all wrong.....his agent tried calling the Bills again but they weren't interested.

Whitner is getting precisely what he deserves. He considered himself an elite safety and hired powerful agent Tom Condon in anticipation of a big pay day. Unfortunately for him, teams have 5 years of film that suggests that he is anything but elite. Glad to see the Bills hold firm; but if he were to come crawling back for $2M, I'd take him. :)

FYI - lots of misinformation regarding the cap floor swirling around. Each team is NOT mandated to spend a certain percentage of their salary cap this year. The only mandate is that the league, as a whole, needs to spend 99% of the salary cap dollars to the players in salary. The Bills could spend 90% of their cap, while other teams max it out, go over, etc.

No other team wants to sign Donte because he has this big Giant Buffalo Bills Logo Tattoo on his body ( i think it was the Bicep...cant remember).

Buddy is thinking that hey...i dont have to give him too much because who wants to pay him to advertise our team...so let him sit there and come down in value....I resign him and look like a genius...

EDIT: Found the link..inside bicep.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r242/jkizzo/billstattooo.jpg

Edited by rsxfirefighter

FYI - lots of misinformation regarding the cap floor swirling around. Each team is NOT mandated to spend a certain percentage of their salary cap this year. The only mandate is that the league, as a whole, needs to spend 99% of the salary cap dollars to the players in salary. The Bills could spend 90% of their cap, while other teams max it out, go over, etc.

Really? So what happens if they are at 98%? Who has to spend more between Buffalo and Cincy?

Really? So what happens if they are at 98%? Who has to spend more between Buffalo and Cincy?

The league as a whole gives the 1% to the players.

Still, on a league-wide basis, the labor deal requires the NFL to spend 99 percent of the salary cap in cash in 2011 and 2012.

So what happens if too many teams spend so little that the league isn’t able to average 99 percent of the cap in actual cash spent? NFL general counsel Jeff Pash, via NFL spokesman Greg Aiello, explained Friday night that the league would be required to pay the difference to the players.

Also of note:

Remember, it’s not cap space but cash spent. So when a team like the Panthers gives defensive end Charles Johnson a $30 million signing bonus on a six-year deal, only $5 million counts against the cap — but $30 million counts against the league’s total spending requirement of $3.8 billion.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/30/per-team-spending-minimum-doesnt-apply-until-2013/

Yeah, he's definitely saying the right things on Twitter now. I think he's been brought down to Earth. Question is, will Nix give him a second chance? It doesn't sound like it... but frankly, he's a solid player and would improve our secondary. How much he is worth, is not something I can judge though.

I have been in favor of getting him back for some time. It has to be at an acceptable cost, but he would be a nice piece of an already solid backfield. Gives us time do develop Searcy and Williams and he can alternate with Wilson. No issues for a $3-3.5 million per year number.

I have been in favor of getting him back for some time. It has to be at an acceptable cost, but he would be a nice piece of an already solid backfield. Gives us time do develop Searcy and Williams and he can alternate with Wilson. No issues for a $3-3.5 million per year number.

Plus, for all the grief we give him for his lackluster play, he is very diligent and has done a great job at mentoring the younger guys. Even on twitter now, he's giving words of encouragment and advice to Aaron Williams.

Seems like a 3-year, $3 mm/yr deal would be very reasonable, and we obviously have the roster space and about a billion dollars in cap room.