Nick Barnett is a Bill!

Dan III

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, Green Bay would have kept him if he wasn't a $6M cap hit this year.

They won the SB without him and there seemed to be some bad blood between him and the team/teammates. A lot of it was because he rehabbed on his own instead of at the facility, and Aaron Rodgers even tweeted his displeasure with him doing that.

Yup. Exactly my thoughts. You guys can cheer this signing, but it's another typical Bills free agent signing. Pointless.

I'm beginning to think that you aren't in favor of this move. Your first three posts left me unconvinced, but now my opinion is that you think that Barnett will be no better than Mitchell.

Bottom line is the Bills lost Poz and then jumped into free agency and found a replacement, perhaps even an upgrade but at least a solid replacement. Between Moats, Batten and Sheppard, one or two solid starting NFL backers could emerge this season. Provided that happens thrown on top of Davis, Merrimen, Tarbor and Barnett, all currently healthy ... LB corp going into camp is better than it has been in years.

Just wait and see. Barnett will amount to nothing in Buffalo just like Mitchell.

But yay. Go Bills.

Sorry to ruin your little loathing-fest but Barnett is flat out better than Poz even at this point in their careers. We need two years from him to get Sheppard and Batten up to speed. Great signing. This guy kept AJ Hawk on the bench.

The Bills have a history of picking up players who are on the downside of their careers. You can just look at the last couple years and you will find many examples. The Bills will be contenders when they start cutting guys like this because they have too many good players ahead of him. Green Bay would have kept him if they thought he could help them win another Super Bowl.

It is reminds me of Marcus Stroud and Langston Walker when they were picked up.

Yep right on the button on this one.

But even dogs get lucky sometimes and fine a bone. :wallbash:

Profootballfocus had barnett rated above Ray Lewis in 2009 in his transition year to a 3-4

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/26/free-agency-2011-landing-spots-for-nick-barnett/

For those too lazy the click on the link:

Barnett has been an impressive linebacker for the Packers for years, but the reason he is of particular interest to this free agency period is his 2009 season.

I was one of many that questioned Green Bay’s transition to the 3-4 defense, working on the basis that is was a lousy fit for their best players (Aaron Kampman and Nick Barnett) in the front seven. Well, I was half right. Kampman struggled with his hand out of the dirt and was clearly a more natural pass rusher when he could coil in a three-point stance. Where I was wide of the mark however was with Nick Barnett, who flourished in the new system as well as he ever did in a 4-3.

In 2009 Barnett was our 3rd ranked ILB, narrowly beaten by Ray Lewis with only Patrick Willis putting any distance between them at the top of the rankings. Barnett was able to score well in all phases of the game, blitzing well, covering well and showing strongly against the run. He registered pressure every 6.5 snaps blitzing (a very good mark), allowed 68.5% of passes into his coverage to be complete (5th among full-time starting ILBs) for just 7.4 yards per completion (3rd). His 52 defensive stops were also good enough to place him in the top 10, as was pretty much every number we record at PFF. Far from struggling in the new system, it seemed Barnett was actually highlighted because of his versatility.

I'm beginning to think that you aren't in favor of this move. Your first three posts left me unconvinced, but now my opinion is that you think that Barnett will be no better than Mitchell.

I don't hate this move, but I don't see how it helps this team at all. IMO this is not an improvement over Poz and it isn't a downgrade either. IMO Poz was just an average LB that did nothng special which is what Barnett is NOW. I'm still waiting for those FA pick ups that will help IMPROVE this team. I have yet to see it.

I mean, look at our free agent pickups the last couple years. Have any of them done anything for us? THeres always that ONE FA pick up that every one gets totally stoked about during the offseason. Look at Jeff Posey, Derrick Dockery, Kawika Mitchell, Dwan Edwards, Shawne Merriman, Marcus Stroud, Terrell Owens. Have any one of these guys impacted our team in any way shape or form? And its the same old SHT every year. This year's Nick Barnett. hallelujah !!!!

You guys can buy into this GARBAGE. I'm not blind and I'm not buying into this. You guys can believe this defense has improved but I'm not. Sorry that I don't share your enthusiasm for being an average defense.

Edited by DreReed83

No, Green Bay would have kept him if he wasn't a $6M cap hit this year.

If he was performing at a high level they would have found a way to keep him in spite of his salary.

Also, if he was not getting along with his players on his team then why is he such a great pickup?

He may be able to compete with Torbor, but what does that tell you about the Bills' LB situation?

I hope he does well, but I'm seeing more Kawika Mitchell than Patrick Willis.

I don't hate this move, but I don't see how it helps this team at all. IMO this is not an improvement over Poz and it isn't a downgrade either. IMO Poz was just an average LB that did nothng special which is what Barnett is NOW. I'm still waiting for those FA pick ups that will help IMPROVE this team. I have yet to see it.

I mean, look at our free agent pickups the last couple years. Have any of them done anything for us? THeres always that ONE FA pick up that every one gets totally stoked about during the offseason. Look at Jeff Posey, Derrick Dockery, Kawika Mitchell, Dwan Edwards, Shawne Merriman, Marcus Stroud, Terrell Owens. Have any one of these guys impacted our team in any way shape or form? And its the same old SHT every year. This year's Nick Barnett. hallelujah !!!!

You guys can buy into this GARBAGE. I'm not blind and I'm not buying into this. You guys can believe this defense has improved but I'm not. Sorry that I don't share your enthusiasm for being an average defense.

And who did you want?

There are lots of improvements on the defense. Its the offense I am worried about. Shawne Merriman has never played a down for us. Torell Troup and Michael Jasper stopping the run this year while Dareus and KW penetrate. Then you have Wannstedt coaching them up. Aaron Williams coming in as a rookie, and then Terrence McGee and Leodis McKelvin being totally healthy (McGee huge loss last year). Arthur Moats, Troup, and Carrington all having went through the rookie grind and learning process now can get to the point where they start to really produce. Not every player is going to be Ndamukong Suh and be an All-Pro the first year he hits the field. All of these players need a year AT LEAST to develop. You can plug players into great teams like the Packers, Steelers, Patriots, Colts, etc and have them produce right away. When you have a young team that is not as talented you have to wait for guys to mature and learn their roles with the team. Many of our players should hit their stride this year (Oline & TE still a mess IMO). Dont forget we handed away 3 overtime games last season, started 3 useless games with Trent Edwards, and were totally depleted by injuries by the few good players we did have on the roster. If those games turn out differently we are possibly 7-9 and there is a whole lot more optimism on this board. I do agree with DREREED83 in the fact that I would like to see some big moves from the Bills every once in a while. On this board, we try and make moves that are only average seem like they are monumental.

If he was performing at a high level they would have found a way to keep him in spite of his salary.

Also, if he was not getting along with his players on his team then why is he such a great pickup?

He may be able to compete with Torbor, but what does that tell you about the Bills' LB situation?

I hope he does well, but I'm seeing more Kawika Mitchell than Patrick Willis.

The Pack went with youth (Hawk) over an injured vet that hit their cap too hard.

First I heard about this, from a poster on this forum.

He's not competing with Torbor, the $16M says the job is his.

I think it's safe to say nobody on this board thinks he's Patrick Willis. :rolleyes:

Does it matter who I want? We wouldn't get him anyways because our front office is either inept or is just cheap, or even worse both. So why does it matter who i want or who u want?

It matters because you decide to crap on every move made by the FO. Just curious, who would you have preferred?

There are lots of improvements on the defense. Its the offense I am worried about. Shawne Merriman has never played a down for us. Torell Troup and Michael Jasper stopping the run this year while Dareus and KW penetrate. Then you have Wannstedt coaching them up. Aaron Williams coming in as a rookie, and then Terrence McGee and Leodis McKelvin being totally healthy (McGee huge loss last year). Arthur Moats, Troup, and Carrington all having went through the rookie grind and learning process now can get to the point where they start to really produce. Not every player is going to be Ndamukong Suh and be an All-Pro the first year he hits the field. All of these players need a year AT LEAST to develop. You can plug players into great teams like the Packers, Steelers, Patriots, Colts, etc and have them produce right away. When you have a young team that is not as talented you have to wait for guys to mature and learn their roles with the team. Many of our players should hit their stride this year (Oline & TE still a mess IMO). Dont forget we handed away 3 overtime games last season, started 3 useless games with Trent Edwards, and were totally depleted by injuries by the few good players we did have on the roster. If those games turn out differently we are possibly 7-9 and there is a whole lot more optimism on this board. I do agree with DREREED83 in the fact that I would like to see some big moves from the Bills every once in a while. On this board, we try and make moves that are only average seem like they are monumental.

Torrell Troup and Michael Jasper stopping the run? THat's assuming he even makes the team. You're jumping the gun a tad too early.

Wannstedt coaching them up? I didn't know he was a Dick Lebeau. Is he a defensive guru? Terrence McGee and McKelvin being totally healthy? When healthy, they're both average CBs and McKelvins been a BUST. Aaron Williams? Has he done anything in the NFL?

Give me a break.

Torrell Troup and Michael Jasper stopping the run? THat's assuming he even makes the team. You're jumping the gun a tad too early.

Wannstedt coaching them up? I didn't know he was a Dick Lebeau. Is he a defensive guru? Terrence McGee and McKelvin being totally healthy? When healthy, they're both average CBs and McKelvins been a BUST. Aaron Williams? Has he done anything in the NFL?

Give me a break.

Yeah, he is throwing the preseason hail mary but so what.

The reality is the defense should be a little better due to Dareus and Barnett should be a wash for Poz (maybe even a slight upgrade) and the stache should also help some. Are they all of a sudden a force to be reckoned with ... No. The offense is the same as last season with I suppose a upgrade to backup QB.

This is the time of the year when Bills fans who have been trampled on by their team of choice for 11 years and counting can have some hope. Some choose to be very optimistic and you or I may not agree. But if you remember they are the same ones last year thinking 10-6 or better and playoffs because of the additions of Gailey and Spiller. The season will start soon enough and we will see what we will see.

Who knows, someday they may end up being right!