Nick Barnett is a Bill!

Dan III

As someone who's watched Nick Barnett since he entered the league, I'll say you guys are getting a great player. The real reason that Barnett was released was because he lost his job because of injury. When he injured his wrist last year, two things happened for the Packers. First, Desmond Bishop finally got on the field after being stuck on the bench despite wowing people during the preseason but was always blocked by Hawk and Barnett. Second, Hawk moved over to strong side LB and took over as the guy that calls the plays in the huddle. Both guys thrived with their new roles, Bishop became the playmaker that everyone thought he'd be, and the defense thrived under Hawk's leadership (which was actually less intense than Barnett, but was described as being the same whether they were getting drove on or whether they were shutting a team down). So, Barnett wasn't released from bad play, but rather because of a log-jam at the position, and he had the highest cap number and injuries in two of the last three seasons. So here's my off the cuff scouting report on Nick Barnett for you guys:

The Good: He moves well sideline to sideline with good speed, and plays through the whistle. He's a very good tackler, assignment-sure and he's versatile as he's descent in pass coverage, can blitz the QB fairly well, and has even gotten the occasional pick. He's high intensity, and he loves football and will interact with fans (through twitter). Great personality and a team leader. With the exception of the ACL in 08 and the wrist last year he's been extremely healthy.

The Bad: He can be beat on deep passes up the middle if he's matched up against a tight end (which is probably true for most ILB's). He uses his Samarai sword celebration way too often, like after tackling the running back after a 1-yard gain on 1st and 10, one play before they give up a 20-yard pass. Will sometimes get in trouble by saying too much on twitter.

He's pretty consistently been that guy who's always come just short of a pro-bowl in several of his years. He was first team all-pro in 07. An above average LB who became the odd man out after his injury. If you want to see a bit of his personality,

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming they make the team? I would say that the 2nd round pick from last year, and a guy that they wasted a draft pick on just to ensure they get him when he was on no one else's radar is going to make the team as well. You obviously don't know a thing about Dave Wannstedt. The man has never coached, or helped coach, anything but GREAT defenses in the NFL. Yes I said GREAT. His track record is phenomenal as a D-coordinator, and defensively as a head coach. Dave Wannstedt could have come to the NFL and been a defensive coordinator for half the NFL, however he chose Buffalo as an LB/assistant coach due to his relationship with Gailey. I would say McGee and McKelvin are better than average if healthy, and this is the first time they have ever had a respectable defensive line to help them out. Yes you are right. Aaron Williams has not done anything in the NFL yet. Most 2011 draft picks havent yet LOL. I am a realist, and you can see by my posts I never blow smoke up the bills FO butt. However, you are an internal pessimist my friend.

Torrell Troup and Michael Jasper stopping the run? THat's assuming he even makes the team. You're jumping the gun a tad too early.

Wannstedt coaching them up? I didn't know he was a Dick Lebeau. Is he a defensive guru? Terrence McGee and McKelvin being totally healthy? When healthy, they're both average CBs and McKelvins been a BUST. Aaron Williams? Has he done anything in the NFL?

Give me a break.

Thank you for some intelligent, well researched insight on Barnett. Much better than listening to ignorance up and down the board. (Ex "guy is old", "guy is past his prime", "pack didnt want him", "injury prone", etc, etc)

As someone who's watched Nick Barnett since he entered the league, I'll say you guys are getting a great player. The real reason that Barnett was released was because he lost his job because of injury. When he injured his wrist last year, two things happened for the Packers. First, Desmond Bishop finally got on the field after being stuck on the bench despite wowing people during the preseason but was always blocked by Hawk and Barnett. Second, Hawk moved over to strong side LB and took over as the guy that calls the plays in the huddle. Both guys thrived with their new roles, Bishop became the playmaker that everyone thought he'd be, and the defense thrived under Hawk's leadership (which was actually less intense than Barnett, but was described as being the same whether they were getting drove on or whether they were shutting a team down). So, Barnett wasn't released from bad play, but rather because of a log-jam at the position, and he had the highest cap number and injuries in two of the last three seasons. So here's my off the cuff scouting report on Nick Barnett for you guys:

The Good: He moves well sideline to sideline with good speed, and plays through the whistle. He's a very good tackler, assignment-sure and he's versatile as he's descent in pass coverage, can blitz the QB fairly well, and has even gotten the occasional pick. He's high intensity, and he loves football and will interact with fans (through twitter). Great personality and a team leader. With the exception of the ACL in 08 and the wrist last year he's been extremely healthy.

The Bad: He can be beat on deep passes up the middle if he's matched up against a tight end (which is probably true for most ILB's). He uses his Samarai sword celebration way too often, like after tackling the running back after a 1-yard gain on 1st and 10, one play before they give up a 20-yard pass. Will sometimes get in trouble by saying too much on twitter.

He's pretty consistently been that guy who's always come just short of a pro-bowl in several of his years. He was first team all-pro in 07. An above average LB who became the odd man out after his injury. If you want to see a bit of his personality,

McGee and McKelvin are better than average if healthy, and this is the first time they have ever had a respectable defensive line to help them out.

McGee is somewhat of a wildcard here. My leaning is he's declining and will need to be spelled often. If he returns to be solid, this defense will be far better on third down.

Something I found quite amusing. The BuffNews and the D&C both obviously had articles on Barnett signing with the Bills. They both used the same quote from him about it, except they quoted him differently.

The News wrote he said ""They called me up to come for a visit and at first I didn't know, I was skeptical because I've been here before," said Barnett. "But I have a buddy here, Dwan Edwards, who told me it was a pretty nice place. So I came up, the coaching staff was great, the players were great, and everybody seemed like a family here."

The D&C had it: "They called me up to come for a visit and at first I didn't know, I was skeptical because I've never been here before," said Barnett. "But I have a buddy here, Dwan Edwards, who told me it was a pretty nice place. So I came up, the coaching staff was great, the players were great, and everybody seemed like a family here...."

When I first read the News article, I was like, "WTF? That's strange. I doubt he would say he was skeptical because he's been here before. That would be quite a slam. I know he's known for being outspoken but that is probably not something to say." Then I read the D&C version, which I assume is the more accurate of the two, but not sure.

I'll wait for the official jw version, although he didn't use that quote in his article. ;)

http://www.buffalone...ticle507620.ece

http://www.democrata...RTS03/108010308

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

LOL that is funny. If Dwan had to tell him it was a nice place then of course he has never been here before. Glad he is with us now!

Something I found quite amusing. The BuffNews and the D&C both obviously had articles on Barnett signing with the Bills. They both used the same quote from him about it, except they quoted him differently.

The News wrote he said ""They called me up to come for a visit and at first I didn't know, I was skeptical because I've been here before," said Barnett. "But I have a buddy here, Dwan Edwards, who told me it was a pretty nice place. So I came up, the coaching staff was great, the players were great, and everybody seemed like a family here."

The D&C had it: "They called me up to come for a visit and at first I didn't know, I was skeptical because I've never been here before," said Barnett. "But I have a buddy here, Dwan Edwards, who told me it was a pretty nice place. So I came up, the coaching staff was great, the players were great, and everybody seemed like a family here...."

When I first read the News article, I was like, "WTF? That's strange. I doubt he would say he was skeptical because he's been here before. That would be quite a slam. I know he's known for being outspoken but that is probably not something to say." Then I read the D&C version, which I assume is the more accurate of the two, but not sure.

I'll wait for the official jw version, although he didn't use that quote in his article. ;)

I don't hate this move, but I don't see how it helps this team at all. IMO this is not an improvement over Poz and it isn't a downgrade either. IMO Poz was just an average LB that did nothng special which is what Barnett is NOW. I'm still waiting for those FA pick ups that will help IMPROVE this team. I have yet to see it.

I mean, look at our free agent pickups the last couple years. Have any of them done anything for us? THeres always that ONE FA pick up that every one gets totally stoked about during the offseason. Look at Jeff Posey, Derrick Dockery, Kawika Mitchell, Dwan Edwards, Shawne Merriman, Marcus Stroud, Terrell Owens. Have any one of these guys impacted our team in any way shape or form? And its the same old SHT every year. This year's Nick Barnett. hallelujah !!!!

You guys can buy into this GARBAGE. I'm not blind and I'm not buying into this. You guys can believe this defense has improved but I'm not. Sorry that I don't share your enthusiasm for being an average defense.

Just throwing this out there so you are aware, you add literally nothing to any discussion around here. I know I'm not the best person to say this, but come on man, is everything in life really this negative for you?

Thank you for some intelligent, well researched insight on Barnett. Much better than listening to ignorance up and down the board. (Ex "guy is old", "guy is past his prime", "pack didnt want him", "injury prone", etc, etc)

Thanks, and I would say all of those statements are untrue or at least misrepresented. He's 30 years old, which isn't that old for a LB, and he has plenty of good years in his future. In 2009 and 2010 after he was back 100% from the ACL, he didn't seem to have lost significant speed, and the wrist shouldn't have any impact on his play... in fact he wanted to play with the injured wrist last season, but the doctors talked him out of it as it could have ruined his entire hand for life. He's definitely not injury prone, and he was known for being extremely durable before tearing his ACL in 08... up to that point he started 87 of 89 games. The Packers would have liked to keep him, but they were right at the salary cap ($64,000 below the cap) before releasing Barnett or signing any rookies. It made sense for both sides to part ways. The Packers get cap room, and Nick gets to start. He'd still be a Packer if Desmond Bishop didn't play so well.

EDIT: If you guys are interested in what we think of him, check out the comments on this packer forum. While a small minority were glad to see him go, most liked him and thought he was good player.

Edited by Brewcity Cheesehead

LOL that is funny. If Dwan had to tell him it was a nice place then of course he has never been here before. Glad he is with us now!

Well, it could have meant that he had been here before briefly for games, or visits and didn't like it too much, and was skeptical about moving here. But then spoke with Edwards who had lived here for a year who told him it was a good place, and you have to be here awhile to understand that. But if that were the case, Barnett would not say "I was skeptical because I've been here before." Or at least I think he wouldn't. ;)

Before I saw the News article I had watched the video on bb.com and heard the quote myself, so I knew they had gotten it wrong. Otherwise I'd have had exactly the same reaction you did.

He's pretty consistently been that guy who's always come just short of a pro-bowl in several of his years. He was first team all-pro in 07. An above average LB who became the odd man out after his injury. If you want to see a bit of his personality, check out this video of Nick doing his version of "MTV Cribs" on his dorm room at training camp.

Thanks, Packer Fan.

Hope my 2nd favorite team (in theory only, such a thing is not actually possible for me) has a great season.

As eball stated, the News had it wrong and the D&C got it right.

Barnett said he'd "never been here before."

Thanks, and I would say all of those statements are untrue or at least misrepresented. He's 30 years old, which isn't that old for a LB, and he has plenty of good years in his future. In 2009 and 2010 after he was back 100% from the ACL, he didn't seem to have lost significant speed, and the wrist shouldn't have any impact on his play... in fact he wanted to play with the injured wrist last season, but the doctors talked him out of it as it could have ruined his entire hand for life. He's definitely not injury prone, and he was known for being extremely durable before tearing his ACL in 08... up to that point he started 87 of 89 games. The Packers would have liked to keep him, but they were right at the salary cap ($64,000 below the cap) before releasing Barnett or signing any rookies. It made sense for both sides to part ways. The Packers get cap room, and Nick gets to start. He'd still be a Packer if Desmond Bishop didn't play so well.

EDIT: If you guys are interested in what we think of him, check out the comments on this packer forum. While a small minority were glad to see him go, most liked him and thought he was good player.

Thank's BC and congrats on the Lombardi!

Nice Post! Thanks... B-)