Nick Barnett is a Bill!

Dan III

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Barnett is a legit starter - a major upgrade? depends if you are talking POZ or Torbor lets just say he's not a liability- Barnett and the Bills were like bar folk looking to hook up, at first they were not very impressed with each other but as the night wore on and options became limited the suddenly found each other very attractive.

Ah... Reminds me of my single days....

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter The Buffalo Bills and former Packers LB Nick Barnett reached agreement on a three-year, $12 million deal including $6 million gtd

Take this deal any day over the crazy $$$$ Poz got.

+1. Granted this guy is a couple years older than Poz, but the injury-prone history doesn't especially bother me (Poz definitely kept UB orthopaedics in business when he played here). Also we just really needed a stop gap till the young guys get on-line. Great signing.

I agree wholeheartedly....Been wanting this guy since hearing he'd be a GB cut casualty because he's a play maker with championship pedigree.....Great pickup!!!

Poz who???

Ehh, not really...

Barnett only played in the first 4 games of last season before being sent to the IR. He was not part of the Super Bowl team and contributed a total of 24 tackles in their Championship year.

I like the signing, dont get me wrong. He'll be ok until some kids are ready to step up. But dont think we got a player fresh off a Super Bowl run.

Edited by DrDareustein

Ehh, not really...

Barnett only played in the first 4 games of last season before being sent to the IR. He was not part of the Super Bowl team and contributed a total of 24 tackles in their Championship year.

I like the signing, dont get me wrong. He'll be ok until some kids are ready to step up. But dont think we got a player fresh off a Super Bowl run.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

Besides.. How'd it work out for us the last time we got a Linebacker fresh of a SuperBowl run? (Hint: Kawika Mitchell) :huh:

That having been said, I love the signing.. not a whole lot lost if it doesn't work out, and a modest paycheck if it does.. by NFL standards, anyways. <_<

Ehh, not really...

It's not like the Packers are a team that's a one year wonder....Barnett has been a big contributor on winning/playoff contending team since he arrived in GB. He's most definitely a play maker when healthy.

At 30 years old....I consider him more that a stopgap.

It's not like the Packers are a team that's a one year wonder....Barnett has been a big contributor on winning/playoff contending team since he arrived in GB. He's most definitely a play maker when healthy.

At 30 years old....I consider him more that a stopgap.

Now youre going to make me sound like I dont like him, which isnt true. Just trying to set some realistic expectations...

He has spent 2 of the last 3 seasons on IR. The first time being a major knee injury.

He's 30 years old.

How is he not a stopgap?

As other posters have said, I'll take a Kawika Mitchell 2.0 for now. Hopefully Sheppard develops as quickly as I expect, and we'll keep drafting LBs.

Barnett, at 30 and injured, is not a long term solution by any means.

Great signing right now. But he should not be starting in 2013.

Now youre going to make me sound like I dont like him, which isnt true. Just trying to set some realistic expectations...

He has spent 2 of the last 3 seasons on IR. The first time being a major knee injury.

He's 30 years old.

How is he not a stopgap?

As other posters have said, I'll take a Kawika Mitchell 2.0 for now. Hopefully Sheppard develops as quickly as I expect, and we'll keep drafting LBs.

Barnett, at 30 and injured, is not a long term solution by any means.

Great signing right now. But he should not be starting in 2013.

It may be ironic, but the season ending injuries in 08 and 10 may actually extend his career.....Time will only tell whether he's a stopgap or not.....Either way it's an excellent signing for the Bills.

http://www.nfl.com/p...2505502/profile

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

He also like Poz has been hurt quite a bit of lately.

The one point you are forgetting, which is why a good number of people will like the signing more than Poz, is that Barnett is not Poz. That's all the reasoning behind it.

Poz has better numbers, and even less injuries. And is younger, at an age where he is coming into his prime.

But we've all heard of Barnett from a good team, so therefore he is much better than Poz... :rolleyes:

I hope everyone pays close attention and counts all of the tackles Barnett makes in the offensive backfield, since we all know Fletcher Poz sucked because all his tackles came 5 yards downfield...

The one point you are forgetting, which is why a good number of people will like the signing more than Poz, is that Barnett is not Poz. That's all the reasoning behind it.

Poz has better numbers, and even less injuries. And is younger, at an age where he is coming into his prime.

But we've all heard of Barnett from a good team, so therefore he is much better than Poz... :rolleyes:

I hope everyone pays close attention and counts all of the tackles Barnett makes in the offensive backfield, since we all know Fletcher Poz sucked because all his tackles came 5 yards downfield...

I wanted the Bills to sign Poz as well, even though I didn't think he was a great player, just a good one and we needed more good players on the defense. I think he is better than most Bills fans give him credit for. For someone who has watched a lot of Poz and a good deal of Nick Barnett, I would say Barnett is a far superior player all around. He makes tackles closer to the LOS, he's faster, he covers more area, he's much better on coverage, he's a better blitzer, he's nastier, running backs seem to go straight down quicker when he tackles them, and he's a better leader, IMO.

Poz is younger, and that is a big advantage. Barnett played with a better line in front of him, and on a better team, which allowed him to excel whereas it hurt Poz's game. But when Barnett and Poz are both healthy, Barnett, to me, is a far superior player. He may not be able to play at the level he did two years ago when he was one of the very best LBs in the game, but he's only 30 and only played four games last year (out with a wrist injury, not a leg or knee or anything), but he should be able to play at an extremely high level.

In my mind, we got Barnett for three years and Brad Smith for four years for approximately the same money as Poz got. I would take that deal over Poz in a second.

I wanted the Bills to sign Poz as well, even though I didn't think he was a great player, just a good one and we needed more good players on the defense. I think he is better than most Bills fans give him credit for. For someone who has watched a lot of Poz and a good deal of Nick Barnett, I would say Barnett is a far superior player all around. He makes tackles closer to the LOS, he's faster, he covers more area, he's much better on coverage, he's a better blitzer, he's nastier, running backs seem to go straight down quicker when he tackles them, and he's a better leader, IMO.

Poz is younger, and that is a big advantage. Barnett played with a better line in front of him, and on a better team, which allowed him to excel whereas it hurt Poz's game. But when Barnett and Poz are both healthy, Barnett, to me, is a far superior player. He may not be able to play at the level he did two years ago when he was one of the very best LBs in the game, but he's only 30 and only played four games last year (out with a wrist injury, not a leg or knee or anything), but he should be able to play at an extremely high level.

In my mind, we got Barnett for three years and Brad Smith for four years for approximately the same money as Poz got. I would take that deal over Poz in a second.

Amen Brother!!! Before the FA period started post lockout I said in a TSW thread asking "would be upset if we lost Poz" that I preferred to have Barnett instead because of all the reasons you so eloquently stated. Additionally, Barnett's pass drops are better meaning he'll cover TE's down the seam. How many times have TE's eaten the Bills alive the last few seasons.......Too many!!!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Now that is a fair and balanced post for sure. And one I can get behind. Thanks for the insight! :thumbsup:

I wouldn't be surprised if he had a similar career arc as Kawika Mitchell -- good veteran presence, fresh off experience with a deep playoff run, but not necessarily providing eye-popping production.

Barnett is the second coming of K.Mitchell.

Bills nation shouldn't see this as our "big splash."

From Poz though, it's a lateral move that brings in new faces, provides more vet wisdom for the youngsters and saves some coin.

But Barnett does not make our defense THAT much better. From the two biggest Packer fans I know:

Barnett had his ups and downs with GB. He has also had his share of injuries... He plays hard and hustles around the field. When GB went to the 3-4 defense it really helped his career. However, he was surrounded with a lot of talent on defense... and when he went on IR... his replacement (Desmond Bishop) did a hell of job filling in. Barnett's release was a salary cap move for GB... Barnett should fit in well with the Bills if he can stay healthy. The only resent problems I can remember with Barnett is... he might be a little to vocal on his Twitter account.

Barnett is a solid middle linebacker. A tad undersized so sometimes he gets caught up in traffic against the run but has the speed to get from sideline to sideline. Injuries have been the downfall for him the past couple of seasons but if he stays healthy he can be a good boon to the defense.

Edited by The Big Cat

Nice pist Kelly. Agree 100%. Huge addition to this team. Let's hope he and merriman can stay healthy. Both are aggressive and boisterous on the field. They can get the d fired up as well as the fans. It's shaping up pretty well so far. Good job buddy. Let's hope the RT and TEs we have can step up, if we don't add anyone else. I didn't realize Chandler was 6'7 272. I'm down to give him, pianalto and Nelson as shot this year. It's not the end of the world if we don't add a TE.

I wonder what his madden rating will be? I'll be happy with an 80. ;)