Nick Barnett is a Bill!

Dan III

While that is true, it's not just because 20 years have passed that Americans have become THAT much bigger. If Ritcher and Hull were around and playing today, you could probably add 20+ pounds to both of them due to the training and nutrition and other reasons besides evolution that today's players are bigger.And Talley, Bennett, Conlon etc would probably have 10-15 more pounds of muscle, too.

Agreed, the insinuation was that Barnett would have no trouble in the 34 defense because he was a similar weight to Talley, Bennett, Conlon etc.

PFT article, doesn't really offer much more insight. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/30/bills-apparently-jump-into-the-nick-barnett-derby/

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Nelson left training camp to drive to Buffalo to have dinner with Barnett? I thought they were under fairly strict oversight during camp with Gailey.

I think when courting potential free agents, certain exceptions are made...

Barnett is too old for this team, he is like 30. We need long term investments ie young guys... thats what our whole strategy is about.

Guaranteed we dont sign this guy.

We have young guys, they can learn while they're riding the pine for a year or two. Barnett would be a stop gap guy.

Agreed on both counts. Barnett is plenty big, but to use guys who played in the late 80s to early 90s as proof of that is asinine. For comparisons sake olinemen such as Jim Ritcher weighed 273lbs and Kent Hull 278lbs.

+1

I don't think Barnett's size is necessarily a problem, but come on... Talley, Conlan and Bennett all started playing in the NFL 25+ years ago. Literally an entire generation----- and Spikes has been a 4-3 OLB, for the most part. Not exactly apples to apples.

you're argument was that size equated to sucking in cold weather. I successfully debunked that argument, regardless of generation, weather or location. now if you want to discuss the ideal size of a 3-4ILB that is up for debate. 235 is a little 'smallish' but certainly isn't a deal breaker like you said.... just look at the most successful 3-4 in the NFL

Pittsburgh ILBs:

James farrior, 242

lawrence timmons, 234

larry foote, 239

am I saying being over 245 doesn't mater? no. Ray lewis, david harris, all those guys are. What I am saying is arguing that a guys' weight is the reason he will suck or will be good isn't a great leg to stand on. the bills could benefit from a guy like Barnett from more than on the field - he has won a SB, which we have few of, he has some gas in the tank, he can teach rookies how to practice, etc. We need a few quality vets who ahve done something (ie not cornell green or kelsay). Barnett gives us that. I also don't think Crowder is a great ILB anymore, but he is better than torbor...

Edited by rpcolosi

I've had hollow point pitchfork ends at the ready in case of a dismall failure. But I don't anticipate needing to use them. I think of Nix as the mad Gene Wilder making the proper preparations to ensure forward thinking rebuilding no matter how many true trolls may say otherwise. Even a blind man can see progress being made. Progress too slow for some but progress nonetheless. The Panic Button has gotten too much use this week prematurely. Let's see how things unfold all the way before some here decide to call it quits.

Go Bills!!!

I'm not unhappy with everything that happened but getting a 3rd QB / Slash type player seemed like more of a want than a need. I feel the Bills need to focus on the relevant positions that need priority & utilize their time based on when the good players are available.

I think of Nix as the mad Gene Wilder making the proper preparations to ensure forward thinking rebuilding no matter how many true trolls may say otherwise. Even a blind man can see progress being made.

I think of our DC George Edwards (who starts Kelsay at OLB) as inviting Barnett (a real monster when healthy who lets his play do the talking) back to Edwards' house for some soup, some wine, a cigar and an espresso to seal the deal after the dinner at JoJo's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd91A3Qcfkw

Go Bills!

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

I think of our DC George Edwards (who starts Kelsay at OLB) as inviting Barnett (a real monster when healthy who lets his play do the talking) back to Edwards' house for some soup, some wine, a cigar and an espresso to seal the deal after the dinner at JoJo's

youtube.com/watch?v=Yd91A3Qcfkw

Goshies, lol I knew it would come to this.

My fav scene of the movie btw.

I'm temporarily out of video clips, but I tend to think of Gailey as the mad scientist tinkering with Brad Smith as the next "Slash" to create a never before seen offense.

The Bills offense will be ALIVE!

Maybe Littman should play Igor (Marty Feldman with a shifting back hump) while he's counting Ralph's money.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

no. we need spiderman back from retirement. and andrew luck. and bill cowher with gailey as OC and Wannie as DC. and then bring Lebeau back. also make sure we have Bill Polian back running the show as well. And finally Pegula needs to spend 1.5bil on the Sabres and 1.5 bil on the Bills, and just live off whatever Natural gas reserves he has left. then... and i think only then, will this board's idiots go silent. in the mean time, ill keep laughing :)

:thumbsup:

you're argument was that size equated to sucking in cold weather. I successfully debunked that argument, regardless of generation, weather or location. now if you want to discuss the ideal size of a 3-4ILB that is up for debate. 235 is a little 'smallish' but certainly isn't a deal breaker like you said.... just look at the most successful 3-4 in the NFL

Pittsburgh ILBs:

James farrior, 242

lawrence timmons, 234

larry foote, 239

My argument "that size equated to sucking in cold weather"? That wasn't me, dude, that was Dr. Trooth. My response to your post was my first post in this entire thread.

Edited by Punch

Shawne Merriman asks Bills Fans to send a tweet to Nick Barnett to let him know that we want him:

shawnemerriman Shawne Merriman #Bills fans let @NickBarnett know how much he's wanted here he's in the building

Here's Barnett's twitter:

https://twitter.com/#!/NickBarnett

Edited by 26CornerBlitz