Nick Barnett is a Bill!

Dan III

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Barnett is too old for this team, he is like 30. We need long term investments ie young guys... thats what our whole strategy is about.

Guaranteed we dont sign this guy.

Sooner or later teams that don't succeed in building thru the draft have to abandon their "youth only" movements. The Packers were able to do it, but they did an impressive job of stacking up talent. The Bills.....well when you do something like drafting Maybin and Spiller in back-to-back years...it's time to start looking into free agency.

The same type of thing happened with Donahoe. His intention was to build a team around youth and after a couple of truly horrible years defensively they just went out and bought a defense in free agency. That bought them a few years of decent defense, but then they were back where they started because they didn't take advantage of the borrowed time by drafting well.

But look at his production when he is healthy. Injuries happen, and luckily for him the games he's missed haven't been because of one injury in particular, they varied. So sometimes a guy goes through a rough patch, doesn't mean he's washed up.

I definitely don't think he's washed up, I'd much rather have him than other ILBs that have been tossed to the scrap heap i.e. Morrison & Crowder. I just think they have to be careful here with how much they give him, and I think it's highly doubtful he signs for under 4 years.

Buddy must be getting extra points on his american express card for hosting barnett. I don't understand buddy saying "we're bigger" and then going after a small linebacker. from my perpective, in a 3-4 defense in a northern climate, if you don't weigh in at 245 or more, why bother?

kind of arbitrary...

Darryl Talley 6-4 235

cornelis bennet 6-2 237

shane conlan 6-3 235

takeo spikes 6-2 240

ok i'll stop there...

If the Bills sign Barnett and Crowder, can we put away our pitchforks or do we need Ryan Harris too?

no. we need spiderman back from retirement. and andrew luck. and bill cowher with gailey as OC and Wannie as DC. and then bring Lebeau back. also make sure we have Bill Polian back running the show as well. And finally Pegula needs to spend 1.5bil on the Sabres and 1.5 bil on the Bills, and just live off whatever Natural gas reserves he has left. then... and i think only then, will this board's idiots go silent. in the mean time, ill keep laughing :)

Can we at least be hopeful that the Bills realize that the ILB position needs an upgrade? Crowder will probably be next if Barnett does not sign.

He might be next even if Barnett does sign.

Crowder really isnt a very good player at all. Id almost rather see Moats stay at ILB rather than pick up Crowder. However, Barnett WOULD BE HUGE!!!! God I hope these rumors are true!! That would MORE than replace Poz in my opinion, plus the leadership and winning attitude would be huge for this team. Barnett next to Merriman?? Maybe we start to look intimidating if healthy!!!

Twitter is a great thing. Apparently, Barnett is still in town and going to the Bills facility again tomorrow. He just tweeted Merriman. Ate at Jojo.

@shawnemerriman just was at jojos? I think that was the name.. I'll be back over Tom morning.. How that first day go?

https://twitter.com/#!/NickBarnett

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

kind of arbitrary...

Darryl Talley 6-4 235

cornelis bennet 6-2 237

shane conlan 6-3 235

takeo spikes 6-2 240

ok i'll stop there...

I don't think Barnett's size is necessarily a problem, but come on... Talley, Conlan and Bennett all started playing in the NFL 25+ years ago. Literally an entire generation----- and Spikes has been a 4-3 OLB, for the most part. Not exactly apples to apples.

Not a fake tweet....my brothers girlfriends sisters ex boyfriends cousin seen him at the airport. So this is dead nuts true stuff....

But in all seriousness...I hope he stays and heads to camp.

Barnett's twitter feed says he ate dinner at JoJo's (which is on Sheridan Dr in Williamsville) tonight. So it seems confirmed he is indeed in town.

Edited by theesir

Our doctors will certainly give him a check over - if they believe he's healthy enough, then I'd guess they'd make a real aggressive attempt to sign him. The fact that they're playing Moats at ILB, that they're on record as wanting Poz and missing, and then missing on Burnett - if they were happy with their ILB's or with the numbers there they wouldn't still be checking guys out, and, at this point, the options are dwindling. So, I'd guess it will hinge on the physical.

One thing the Bills do have is good doctors.

Edited by sllib olaffub

we need this signing it would be huge for us barnett and sheppard both possess important leadership skills that are invaluable for a defense and barnett would go a long way toward mentoring sheppard. Then hopefully chan realizes putting moats on the outside is the best possibility and then suddenly we don't look so bad with merriman sheppard barnett moats/batten

I don't think Barnett's size is necessarily a problem, but come on... Talley, Conlan and Bennett all started playing in the NFL 25+ years ago. Literally an entire generation----- and Spikes has been a 4-3 OLB, for the most part. Not exactly apples to apples.

Agreed on both counts. Barnett is plenty big, but to use guys who played in the late 80s to early 90s as proof of that is asinine. For comparisons sake olinemen such as Jim Ritcher weighed 273lbs and Kent Hull 278lbs.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

Agreed on both counts. Barnett is plenty big, but to use guys who played in the late 80s to early 90s as proof of that is asinine. For comparisons sake olinemen such as Jim Ritcher weighed 273lbs and Kent Hull 278lbs.

While that is true, it's not just because 20 years have passed that Americans have become THAT much bigger. If Ritcher and Hull were around and playing today, you could probably add 20+ pounds to both of them due to the training and nutrition and other reasons besides evolution that today's players are bigger.And Talley, Bennett, Conlon etc would probably have 10-15 more pounds of muscle, too.

So Nelson left training camp to drive to Buffalo to have dinner with Barnett? I thought they were under fairly strict oversight during camp with Gailey.

I imagine that Barnett flew into Buffalo and spent the first few hours at Ralph Wilson, seeing the facilities and maybe meeting with some of the Bills brass that may have been there on the business side. Then probably drove to Pittsford. There is a Jojo's in Pittsford where he had dinner. He's obviously staying the night and probably meeting with coaches and others tomorrow morning. Hopefully he doesn't leave. It's possible, of course, that he flew into Rochester and met with everyone there without going to Buffalo. Nelson saw him in Pittsford.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog