Bills interested in OT Tyson Clabo

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we do sign him, I know we are going to overpay him. But I would like the signing so much. Would really help that oline and the offense out a lot .

If the Bills were willing to give Langston Walker $5 mil in 2007, they should be willing to give this guy $7 mil, which should do it, I think. They were willing to pay Poz 7 mil, so spend it on the good RT and then sign a Burnett or Siler et al for 4+ and we're good to go. That would be a solid FA season without breaking the bank at all. Plus include in the offer a huge deal five years from now that we will never pay.

If we do sign him, I know we are going to overpay him. But I would like the signing so much. Would really help that oline and the offense out a lot.

An 11 year drop into the NFL abyss will necessitate Buffalo overpaying for outside free agents. That's just how it's going to be, at least until they can show some real signs of competitive life. That said, go ahead and overpay, Buddy...I want this guy on the Bills.

If the Bills were willing to give Langston Walker $5 mil in 2007, they should be willing to give this guy $7 mil, which should do it, I think. They were willing to pay Poz 7 mil, so spend it on the good RT and then sign a Burnett or Siler et al for 4+ and we're good to go. That would be a solid FA season without breaking the bank at all. Plus include in the offer a huge deal five years from now that we will never pay.

Agreed on all points. I don't think the bills would have a problem giving him 7 a year. My worry is the guarentteed part, which seems to be most important to the players, and where we are a little stingy on. But whatever we are offering, it must be worth it. It seems it is just us and the falcons targeting him. If he didn't like what we were offering, he probably would have agreed with the falcons by now.

An 11 year drop into the NFL abyss will necessitate Buffalo overpaying for outside free agents. That's just how it's going to be, at least until they can show some real signs of competitive life. That said, go ahead and overpay, Buddy...I want this guy on the Bills.

It's true. And it will be easier to keep players when we start winning as well.

But I say our luck is going to change. If the pirates can have a good recent season, the bills can have one too!

Agreed on all points. I don't think the bills would have a problem giving him 7 a year. My worry is the guarentteed part, which seems to be most important to the players, and where we are a little stingy on. But whatever we are offering, it must be worth it. It seems it is just us and the falcons targeting him. If he didn't like what we were offering, he probably would have agreed with the falcons by now.

We could kill two birds by giving him a lot up front and guaranteed. That way we wouldnt be close to the cash to cap floor anymore. We have to spend that money this year anyway. And again, they had alot of it slotted for Poz.

My fear is that he does like what we're offering him, and he's merely using that as a bargaining tool to squeeze as much as possible out of the Falcons. It's a good sign the Bills are targeting their needs, though, and for the moment it appears that it's not necessarily on the cheap.

My fear is that he does like what we're offering him, and he's merely using that as a bargaining tool to squeeze as much as possible out of the Falcons.

That was never my fear. My fear is always that the bills won't be aggressive enough, and right now, my fear of that is lessoning. for now.

i think we could go sign calabo, burnett, and zack miller and have room to extend the contracts of kyle and stevie once the year kicks off and keep us in good shape for next year

Hopefully the herd will at least be sated that we're trying to address a position of what the herd believes is a need. -Also a player regularly frothed over on the wall.

Best wishes Buddy!

Hey Tyson. This is the Bills, we are very interested. We are talking a good 10 percent over veteran minimum. What do you think?

We could kill two birds by giving him a lot up front and guaranteed. That way we wouldnt be close to the cash to cap floor anymore. We have to spend that money this year anyway. And again, they had alot of it slotted for Poz.

Great points, Kelly.

My fear is that he does like what we're offering him, and he's merely using that as a bargaining tool to squeeze as much as possible out of the Falcons. It's a good sign the Bills are targeting their needs, though, and for the moment it appears that it's not necessarily on the cheap.

I hear ya, Punch, but that's how it goes sometimes. I at least want them in there scratching and clawing. They may not be the heavyweight in the ring but at least by being in this they have a puncher's chance (no pun intended). Honestly, as disappointed as I'll be if they don't get him, I'd be even more disappointed if I knew they weren't even trying. If we lose out to Atlanta it will suck but to the victor go the spoils. Keep fightin' the good fight, Buddy!

That was never my fear. My fear is always that the bills won't be aggressive enough, and right now, my fear of that is lessoning. for now.

Agreed, Dan. Like I said to Punch..at least they're actively trying to implement a plan. They may stikeout on Clabo but at least they'll go down swinging for the fences.

Great points, Kelly.

I hear ya, Punch, but that's how it goes sometimes. I at least want them in there scratching and clawing. They may not be the heavyweight in the ring but at least by being in this they have a puncher's chance (no pun intended). Honestly, as disappointed as I'll be if they don't get him, I'd be even more disappointed if I knew they weren't even trying. If we lose out to Atlanta it will suck but to the victor go the spoils. Keep fightin' the good fight, Buddy!

Agreed, Dan. Like I said to Punch..at least they're actively trying to implement a plan. They may stikeout on Clabo but at least they'll go down swinging for the fences.

Just as long as the plan does not end with, "We tried to land some free agents, but we like our existing roster heading into the season"

Edited by clancynut

Tyson Clabo was reportedly close to a contract with the Falcons, but now rumors are linking him heavily to the Buffalo Bills. That's kind of like ditching your gorgeous prom date for the girl with the handlebar mustache and the wildly spinning eye.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2011/7/27/2299214/tyson-clabo-using-bills-for-leverage-in-talks-with-falcons

Tyson Clabo was reportedly close to a contract with the Falcons, but now rumors are linking him heavily to the Buffalo Bills. That's kind of like ditching your gorgeous prom date for the girl with the handlebar mustache and the wildly spinning eye.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2011/7/27/2299214/tyson-clabo-using-bills-for-leverage-in-talks-with-falcons

A comment below that article summed up ATL fans when he said, "I'm sorry I just think we should keep Dahl and Blalock instead of giving Clabo all the money. We need to keep the same guy at blind side, that’s been said over and over. And Dahl is probably our most physical lineman. Now is Clabo the best? Yes. But situationally, we’d be better off with Dahl and Blalock."

I think this is more than a ploy by Clabo to drive up his price. This is the Bills going after a Pro Bowl RT.

Edited by Astrobot

I do agree with the premise that the Bills will likely have to over-pay but wouldn't it be better to overpay someone to play left tackle and play D Bell at RT? Since Claybo doesn't have the skill-set for LT, thus over-paying him is gonna cause slotting (contractual) with the LT...rem L. Walker and J Peters a few years ago?

I do agree with the premise that the Bills will likely have to over-pay but wouldn't it be better to overpay someone to play left tackle and play D Bell at RT? Since Claybo doesn't have the skill-set for LT, thus over-paying him is gonna cause slotting (contractual) with the LT...rem L. Walker and J Peters a few years ago?

Clabo is a mauler who excels in the run game, can struggle at times in the Pass game. That is why he is a RT.

Bell is an athlete who is better at pass protection than in the run game. That is why he is a LT.

They won't be switching positions

Bell is no RT. He is an LT and an improving one. He may be better suited for a back-up role, but he is a back-up LT if so.

http://www.thefalcoh...ks-with-falcons

This isn't directed at you, but more on the Falcons site and the thesis the OP made. I really don't understand why fans insist on looking at things so black and white, when very little in their own lives are that way. It doesn't at all have to mean he's either a money-grubbing whore OR wants to play for a contender. There are 20 reasons, pro and con, a guy decides to play for one team or another. The same goes for the Poz situation. Clabo in all likelihood and everything I have read about him wants to stay in Atlanta, wants to play for a contender, and wants to get courted and paid a lot of money in his one big free agent year of his career.

There is zero wrong with that, IMO.

What often goes unreported or ignored are the elements of the huge egos on these guys that have little to do with money. Clabo thinks the Falcons haven't treated him well in these negotiations and hasn't been respected. That's a big thing with professional athletes. The Bills are likely offering more money and sweet-talking him, but he'd have to go to Buffalo away from home and dome and not play on a Super Bowl contender. The Falcons want him badly but have to worry about two other linemen and if they match the Bills offer, they may lose both guards. So they cannot just pander to Clabo whom they want to sign to the very least amount of money they can get away with.

There doesn't have to be a bad guy in the scenario, and yet fans will somehow only see money grubbing whores or a guy who wants to play for a better team in a (allegedly) better city.

I think Clabo has a very tough choice to make.

Hey, I married that girl....