Brad Smith...Update...signs with Buffalo

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least if he's on the Bills he can't keep killing us!

Good article from Pro Football NYC (ok, not exactly a mainstream media outlet, but still):

http://www.profootballnyc.com/2011/07/jets-bracing-for-life-without-brad.html

Gotta like "Those who shrug off Smith’s imminent exit are only making themselves feel better when they say that Smith’s departure will be “no big loss.” It will be a tremendous loss. Smith changes momentum. Makes enormous game changing and even season changing plays. When least expected."

:thumbsup:

Why in the hell is this guy needed? Seriously? He's a toy, and toy's are usually effective on teams that are already good. Why, seriously?

This, to me, reeks of needing to try and sell tickets to make us think we are getting a playmaker that is way overhyped. I don't get it.

Sorry, I just don't get this organization. I'd rather have a top notch lineman than Spiller AND Smith. But hey, what do I know......I have the same amount of playoff wins in my armchair position as this organization has in it's last 11 years.

Why in the hell is this guy needed? Seriously? He's a toy, and toy's are usually effective on teams that are already good. Why, seriously?

This, to me, reeks of needing to try and sell tickets to make us think we are getting a playmaker that is way overhyped. I don't get it.

Sorry, I just don't get this organization. I'd rather have a top notch lineman than Spiller AND Smith. But hey, what do I know......I have the same amount of playoff wins in my armchair position as this organization has in it's last 11 years.

Good thing free agency doesn't end today then...wait, signings haven't even technically started.

I don't know. Maybe this?

MarkLud12 Mark Ludwiczak:

Interesting to see what Gailey does with Brad Smith. With Smith, Spiller, Parrish, etc., he can really get innovative with playbook. #Bills

He will play several positions. He'll be the #3 QB, the Wildcat QB, some WR, some RB, a KR, a gunner on ST, and likely some Slash kind of packages as a QB that Gailey designs for him. He's a very good, talented, exciting, athletic player.

Does this mean we can get our 1st round pick refunded for Spiller? :unsure:

If we can put together a decent O-line, or have good O-line play this year, we're looking to have a very dynamic offense. Gailey is looking to be on the front lines when it comes to taking advantage of the new rules for 3rd string QB's. I like this move as long as we still solidify the O-line, because now I think we can easily say we have an excellent WR corps, an excellent P/K return team, and a lot of speed on offense now. Gailey, given his credentials, will certainly give Buffalo a good offense this year - I just think it all hinges on the O-line's play.

P.S. - I did overreact a little prematurely on Wed., with the lack of movement by Buffalo. Habit. When I look at the landscape around the league, I am seeing teams that are just getting hamstrung by a few really big contracts. Look at Washington last year. Haynsworth really hurt them. It's nice to know the front office is looking far enough ahead to keep money available to sign the talent that emerges on this young team, and to have the cash to get real prominent help at positions of need if such help becomes available - and, I'm hoping they go for Clabo, that would really make our line formidable, with the one ? at LT.

Good thing free agency doesn't end today then...wait, signings haven't even technically started.

Other than to make a smartass comment, free agency has started, otherwise it wouldn't be announced. Pen to paper tomorrow, big deal.

And two, does Brad Smith stop the run, rush the passer, or play tackle on the O-Line or D-Line?

This smells like a team that doesn't understand what makes Brad Smith so effective.......a good team. Kinda like when Washington fell in love, stupidly, with Antwaan Randle El.

No, it just means the pick made a lot of us want to puke when it happened, and I just wanted to re-visit that fact.

I'm still waiting for the Bills to address a need from last year, other than a backup position. I must not be thinking clearly.....I didn't think gimmicks were one of our weaknesses last year.

Free Agency just started...For all we know right at this moment The Bills could sign Clabo at OT, and Kevin Burnett at ILB in a day or two, and this Off Season looks pretty good all of a sudden...And I'm never going to complain about getting a player like Brad Smith...It helps us, hurts the Jets...He's a game changer in a lot of ways...I LOVE this move... B-)

Well we're definitely collecting some dynamic type players. Hey, If Chan can figure out how to use them all...!

He does seem a little redundant, but he also looks like insurance. He can run the wildcat ala Fred, he can obviously KR well, and he can run okay.

I think his best role will be 3rd QB which can now be active on gameday.

Other than to make a smartass comment, free agency has started, otherwise it wouldn't be announced. Pen to paper tomorrow, big deal.

And two, does Brad Smith stop the run, rush the passer, or play tackle on the O-Line or D-Line?

This smells like a team that doesn't understand what makes Brad Smith so effective.......a good team. Kinda like when Washington fell in love, stupidly, with Antwaan Randle El.

We've been linked to OT Clabo and Colon, ILB Bradly, Burnett and Ruud. So we are doing things. and we don't need anyone on the DLine.

The point is that they can still sign an Olineman to play tackle. Signing Smith doesn't stop them from also signing someone like Clabo. Obviously it's not like the draft where you only get to take one player.

Relax, Clabo is still available as is Kevin Burnett, Tulloch, Nick Barnett, Brady Popinga, cullen jenkins ect

This team added a good player that has made alot of teams pay with his big play potential. With an offensive genius like Gailey I'm really excited to see what he can do

What a stupid, stupid signing! This must mean Evans is getting the boot. I hate this pick-up with a passion. Is this a cost cutting move so that the Bills don't have to re-sign Stevie Johnson, next year? WTF!!! What about Clabo? Burnett? Miller? Boss?

Outside of some, if not all KR, I don't think he takes many if any touches away from Spiller. I would expect Spiller to be the back in the packages with Smith as much as Jackson. I'm really excited about this guy, always thought he was very good and under utilized. Gailey is drooling about it, no doubt.

This doesn't lessen the need for a RT, though. If we can get Clabo or a good RT, i think our offense will not only be exciting, but pretty damn good. You'll see a lot of Spiller.