Are the Bills targeting Nick Barnett

Dont have a link or anything like that....just speculation

- Successfull cold weather 3-4 linebacker

- Nix made a comment in his radio interview this morning talking about how "there are players out there that are going to be available but are not yet" Im paraphrasing there

It makes sense.....and Nick Barnett was older is a LEGIT 3-4 linebacker....If we can get him we can start Barnett/Davis in the middle and bring Kelvin on slowly

Dont have a link or anything like that....just speculation

- Successfull cold weather 3-4 linebacker

- Nix made a comment in his radio interview this morning talking about how "there are players out there that are going to be available but are not yet" Im paraphrasing there

It makes sense.....and Nick Barnett was older is a LEGIT 3-4 linebacker....If we can get him we can start Barnett/Davis in the middle and bring Kelvin on slowly

Been saying this is the move even before Poz left....He's a better player than Poz and from a winning program. The only concern is the injury history. Make the deal Buddy before he has options after being released from GB!!!

Don't know much about him but sounds like he had a pretty solid year last year......94 tackles, sacks, 2 FF, 2 ints and a TD. I think this could be a solid pick up.

Edited by Stl Bills

Link...........

http://boltbeat.com/2011/07/25/the-chargers-should-____________-post-nfl-lockout/

The key un-restricted free agents on the Bolts are safety Eric Weddle; line backer Kevin Burnett and Stephen Cooper, and wide receiver Malcolm Floyd. All four players played key roles for the team last year. Weddle, Burnett, and Cooper helped anchor a much improved defense that ranked #1 overall.

The Chargers next priority should be attempting to retain Kevin Burnett. Burnett racked in 95 total tackles, only 1 off the team lead. He is known for his ability to help clog up the run and read defenses well. However, Burnett can get around the edge and get sacks, he had 6 last year. The linebacker need is glaring for the Chargers; I would expect him to fill that need nicely. As bad as they do need Burnett, makes the need for teammate Stephen Cooper much less.

So wait he's good against the run and at rushing the passer from inside? Sounds better by the second. Sign this guy.

Link...........

http://boltbeat.com/2011/07/25/the-chargers-should-____________-post-nfl-lockout/

So wait he's good against the run and at rushing the passer from inside? Sounds better by the second. Sign this guy.

:thumbsup: Thanks for the link!

Definitely worth more than the new Jacksonville MLB ... so if we can get him for less we are ahead of the game. Sounds like the BOLTS will also be in this race but with Buddy and Merriman's SD connections we just might get this done.

MAKE THIS HAPPEN, BUDDY!!

Signing Burnett would make me feel much better about losing our leading tackler and starting ILB overpaid and overrated ILB who never accomplished jack while he was in Buffalo.

Edited for u. You can thank me later bruh. :thumbsup:

Fwiw, Someone sent this tweet to merriman, and he retweeted himself on his twitter:

@Davejr51179: @shawnemerriman We lost Poz to the Jags. It's time to give a call to your boys in SD (Cooper, Siler and Burnett) and get them to Buffalo.

might be a sign that he might try to influence some. and with buddy's influence, it might be possible. Would be even cooler if we signed two of them.

He wasnt our leading tackler?

He wasnt a starter?

ooh yea you're right. 100% right. I was mistaken. He was our leading tackler and a starter on one of the worst defenses in the league. Lets give him a medal.

Give me someone who has half his tackles and more game changing ability and I'll take that any day. Quality over quantity. But obviously you don't understand that concept bruh.

ooh yea you're right. 100% right. I was mistaken. He was our leading tackler and a starter on one of the worst defenses in the league. Lets give him a medal.

Poz makes better tackles than you make jokes, that's for sure. Your post STILL makes no sense, no matter how you spin it.

And if they do sign burnett, that would be awesome. Instant upgrade over poz.

Give me someone who has half his tackles and more game changing ability and I'll take that any day. Quality over quantity. But obviously you don't understand that concept bruh.

So we should cut Kyle Williams while we're at it, since he was the NT on the worst run defense. He must suck.

And you are right, if a player only made half the tackles Poz did they would be a game-changer. Problem is it would be to the opposition's advantage. Youre talking about 70+ plays that go much longer because no one made the tackle.

Great "concept" you have there... :rolleyes:

If he does sign with the Bills, who is the other starting LB Davis or Sheppard? I think Davis starts the first four or five games, until Sheppard gets a better handle on the defense.

Davis would be the starter for sure. Sheppard won't take over unless davis or Burnett gets injured. That is, if we sign burnett. Davis is a good player. He just isn't a playmaker and he got injured last year. But he is a legit starter and isn't a scrub like we have at quite a few of our positions.

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

Poz makes better tackles than you make jokes, that's for sure. Your post STILL makes no sense, no matter how you spin it.

Well that's because you're not at the level of my intelligence. Can't help you there. :thumbsup:

Maybe if I dummy things down for you you'll be able to understand?

Well that's because you're not at the level of my intelligence. Can't help you there. :thumbsup:

Maybe if I dummy things down for you you'll be able to understand?

If you don't understand how saying factual information is wrong is a bad joke, then you will never hear anything more than crickets.

And if you think you fix one of the worst defenses by losing one of your better players, than that is terrible logic. IF your defense sucks, you rid of your worst players, not the best ones. If you rid your best players, you get even worse. But ya know, you don't follow simple logic. it is sad.

MAKE THIS HAPPEN, BUDDY!!

Signing Burnett would make me feel much better about losing our leading tackler and starting ILB.

I agree! I can't belive the Jags gave Puz that much money (that's perhpas one reason they suck). Perhaps Puz is planning to pay some people to sit in the stands. It will be a MUCH different experience for him down there than at PSU or in Buffalo. He said he loved Buffalo, etc. and then didn't take a hometown discount. Who know's what the Bills were offering, but freaking Santonio Holmes took less money to stay with the Jets--what's that say about Puz. I can't imagine the Bills offered less than 5 million a year. His agent said they tried hard to get him. I used to like this guy a lot, now he's in the Jagr talking out of both sides of my a** club.

This is a good post. Thank you. Loosing Puz is a loss for the Defense. You don't improve the worst defense by getting rid of one of its best players. You get rid of players like Kelsay, who for some unknown reason was re-signed. If they don't get a veteran to replace Puz you'll see how much he meant to this team when we are getting run all over even more next year.

I agree that you dont get rid of your best players and improve.....but I think there IS something to be said about finding a comparable player, then improving OTHER areas of your team and you will improve....just hear me out here......

IF

- We lose Poz....gain Barnett

- Resign Drayton (which happened)

then you are kinda at a push...you didn't lose much because you replaced a quality guy with a quality guy and lets not forget...its not like Poz was a top 5 gamechanging force....he wasnt....he was a solid player

No the improvements that will come to our defense will be:

- Drafting the best defensive player in the draft in Marcel Darius

- Carrington and Troupe with another year under their belt and improving every game last season....I cant wait to see what Troupe looks like with another 20 pounds of muscule on him and being at a legit NT size of 330 pounds

- Drafting Kelvin Sheppard.....improving the quality of the players BEHIND Davis and Barnett

- Drafting Williams.....

Overall I cannot say just how much I loved this last draft....we got bigger, stronger, and meaner on the defensive side of the ball.

To me THAT IS how we improve the team.....

I agree! I can't belive the Jags gave Puz that much money (that's perhpas one reason they suck). Perhaps Puz is planning to pay some people to sit in the stands. It will be a MUCH different experience for him down there than at PSU or in Buffalo. He said he loved Buffalo, etc. and then didn't take a hometown discount. Who know's what the Bills were offering, but freaking Santonio Holmes took less money to stay with the Jets--what's that say about Puz. I can't imagine the Bills offered less than 5 million a year. His agent said they tried hard to get him. I used to like this guy a lot, now he's in the Jagr talking out of both sides of my a** club.

This is a good post. Thank you. Loosing Puz is a loss for the Defense. You don't improve the worst defense by getting rid of one of its best players. You get rid of players like Kelsay, who for some unknown reason was re-signed. If they don't get a veteran to replace Puz you'll see how much he meant to this team when we are getting run all over even more next year.

On the radio they said that Poz felt he was a much better fit for a 4-3 defense than a 3-4. Assuming his self-assessment is accurate, there's a chance the Jags were willing to pay considerably more for him than the Bills. If you know a guy is only going to be decent in the system you're running, why offer him more than just a decent salary?

I'll play.

"San Diego re-signed their fourth player in two days Wednesday night, bringing back outside linebacker Antwan Barnes on a two-year contract.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune has the news and also wondered if money will be left to sign inside linebacker Kevin Burnett at this point.

The Chargers have spent big money on safety Eric Weddle and Takeo Spikes. Burnett reportedly wants more than $5 million-per-year, but he may have priced himself off the Chargers."

"LB Kevin Burnett said to be seeking $5M+/yr, maybe too rich for #SD. Spoken with #Bills, #Seahawks, #Titans, & #Dolphins"

Edited by Astrobot

The guy is hurt A LOT recently (Ended 2008 after 9 games, and 2010 after 4 games), but I think its worth the risk. The guy has played 3 seasons (Including a full 16 game slate in 2009) in a 3-4 and in a cold weather environment.

If the Pack cut him the Bills should go full force after him with a solid deal. Its too much of a glaring need with Poz gone.

At this point there is Nick Barnett, Kevin Burnett, Tulluck, Ruud, and there will be others released, any of which should be able to, when mixed in with Davis, Sheppard, and White make a decent ILB tandem. And, a lot of those guys have experience on top-notched 3-4 defenses.

I'll play.

"San Diego re-signed their fourth player in two days Wednesday night, bringing back outside linebacker Antwan Barnes on a two-year contract.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune has the news and also wondered if money will be left to sign inside linebacker Kevin Burnett at this point.

The Chargers have spent big money on safety Eric Weddle and Takeo Spikes. Burnett reportedly wants more than $5 million-per-year, but he may have priced himself off the Chargers."

"LB Kevin Burnett said to be seeking $5M+/yr, maybe too rich for #SD. Spoken with #Bills, #Seahawks, #Titans, & #Dolphins"

May have priced himself out of Buffalo too.