What has the switch to the 3-4 gotten us?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost everyone on this board was so giddy going into free agency this year, I tried to warn ya. I've also been warning about this coaching staff and GM, nobody listening.

Wrong.

There were a lot of us that were not giddy.

And yes, you're like a broken record, repeating the same doom and gloom message over and over… like the Dad who keeps telling his son, "you'll never amount to anything" and then takes pleasure when the kid makes a mistake or doesn't excel.

And BTW, you're not right about the coaching staff and GM… at least not yet.

We're entering year 2 of this regime. I know you'd rather look at the clouds and say the sky is falling but many people here on this board don't share that mentality.

If this were like gym class and we were picking sides for a game (or any endeavor), you'd be pretty much the last person on this board I'd pick.

Again, I don't know how to characterize the mentality you carry, but it's a special form of a loser's mentality… mixed with self-hatred and "I told you so."

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Last offseason, we took a decent-but-not-great cover-2 system and switched it to a 3-4 without the players, coaches, or planning needed to make the change. What were the results? As best I can understand it, this is what occurred:

<...>

So tell me, what have we gained here?

Marcell Dareus, that's what we've gained.

Actually, the Bills' pass defense last year was the worst in the franchise's entire history, with opposing QBs racking up a collective 92.6 passer rating.

You are thinking rushing defense was the worst because the Buffalo Bills were 3rd in total pass defense last year

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-PASSING/2010/regular

I attribute the #3 defense against the pass to Dick Jauron and his constant drafting of DB's, plus the Bills retained the DB assistant coach who was under Jauron.

The Bills were 32nd against the run and set a franchise worst record, that is saying something considering the back to back 2-14 seasons in the 80's. All Nix needed to do was instead of drafting 3 DL players #2 #3 #6 he needed to draft LB's, BTW not one of those DL players drafted last year made it to starter.

The SD Chargers had the #1 offense and #1 defense and didn't make the playoffs, but were the worst special teams unit. All these stats do is show that a team needs balance to win, on offense and defense.I think most teams are now in a pass and stop the pass mode and that doesn't win games unless you have Aaron Rodgers

Wrong.

And yes, you're like a broken record, repeating the same doom and gloom message over and over… like the Dad who keeps telling his son, "you'll never amount to anything" and then takes pleasure when the kid makes a mistake or doesn't excel.

We're entering year 2 of this regime. I know you'd rather look at the clouds and say the sky is falling but many people here on this board don't share that mentality.

If this were like gym class and we were picking sides for a game (or any endeavor), you'd be pretty much the last person on this board I'd pick.

Again, I don't know how to characterize the mentality you carry, but it's a special form of a loser's mentality… mixed with self-hatred and "I told you so."

Its an easy position to take. If the Bills go 0-16, Harvey and Co. get to revel in the "I told you so's." If the Bills go 10-6 and make the playoffs then its "I'm happy I'm wrong" and everyone is feeling good about a winning team, even Harvey, and the rest of us are too busy celebrating to make them eat their words. It's a total hedge, either they're right or their team wins. Its an easy and mentally lazy position to take, and the negative spin on every article, word, event, non-event or lack of events hinders any attempts at reasonable discussion of this football team.

The thing I didn't understand about moving to the 3-4 is the idea that you couldn't get bigger in a 4-3, there are plenty of ways to play 4-3 instead of the Tampa Two smaller and faster model (the Bills seemed to emphasize the smaller part over the faster part).

Wrong.

Perhaps you had a dad like that...

You can draw whatever analogies about me you care to, but I'm not the doom and gloom sky is falling guy you would like to think I am. All I've ever done here is point out the mistakes, miscues and judgmental errors made by this new HC and GM.Have I ever once lied or made up stories about the mistakes made by these two men?

I mean, the GM himself even stated he wasn't the "smartest guy in the room" to a bunch of media types at his first presser as GM. The same GM publicly stated the teams is "not that far away" before last season started, then after 5 weeks and no wins that tune changed to

"its going to take some time" The HC defended his selection of a "waterbug" type RB with the #1 pick by stating that the RB would make the O line block better....I don't need to spew any lies or BS about those two old fools, they are like Hank Bullough- Stew Barber clones. It would be almost comical, if it wasn't so sad.

You keep making personal comments about me, what I'm like, how I treat my kids, my wife. I read them and didn't comment because I don't care to make this personal. I could make some assumption's about you SJBF. Like, are you on a grand crusade to smooch RW's backside every chance you get in hopes he leaves the team to you when he passes? When your wife steps out on you, do you just look the other way... because you seem to deny the obvious. But I would never lower myself to make those type of comments about another Buffalo Bills fan simply because he doesn't see things the same way I do...

If you want to bring a rational argument to me, then that is fine.

OTOH, If you don't like what I post, then feel free to put me on ignore. Better yet, feel free to put your hands over your ears, close your eyes and chant naa naa naa naa naa naa naa every time you feel compelled to read one of my posts.

I'll never forget when the Red Sox lost to the Yankees in the 2003 ALCS on Aaron Boone's homer. They were showing all sorts of dejected Sox fans milling about Boston and they showed a guy in a T-shirt that read:

"Cheer up. Anyone can have a bad century."

I'm not quite sure what it is but there's a lesson there somewhere.

GO BILLS!!!

The lesson is that they won the following year, and it was more enjoyable than any of the Yankees 27 championships. As a Bills and Red Sox fan, it was a pretty wonderful moment, and made all the waiting worth it. What is important is that the Bills act like the Red Sox and not the Cubs where losing is okay. Nobody cares about Bill Buckner anymore. Hopefully we can get Scott Norwood off the hook in the next few years.

Marcell Dareus, that's what we've gained.

And that right there sir is a very good retort

- Years of 6-10 and 7-9 finishing just outside the blue chip talent of the draft....while not bringing in game changing free agents.

- This year we got a blue chipper DE/DT.....a corner slated to be a first round pick.....and a very promising ILB.....we did this because we had a crappy year while the team evaluated talent.

Lets see what happens

They are officially a "hydrid" defense. I honestly expect them to play more 4-3 this year given their roster and the fact that the stache is on board.

I've been hearing that too. Sometimes I think this hybrid defense is another way of saying we don't have the personal to run either defense successfully so we'll throw crap against the wall and see what sticks.

As I said before: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/81351-the-death-of-the-tampa-2/page__view__findpost__p__1292946, the problem is that we keep on switching to the hot new defensive scheme. I wish we had not switched to the 3-4, but now that we have, we better stick with it. We can't keep rebuilding the defense.

Edited by johnnyb

Wrong.

Don't mess with sjbf he is a psychologist, I feel uneducated reading his posts

Last offseason, we took a decent-but-not-great cover-2 system and switched it to a 3-4 without the players, coaches, or planning needed to make the change. What were the results? As best I can understand it, this is what occurred:

1) Our best player, Aaron Schobel, retired because he didn't want to play OLB

2) We made Kelsay a 3-4 OLB, which he can't freakin' play (he could barely play in a 4-3), and handed him a huge contract extension; we made Stroud a 3-4 end although he wasn't built for it

3) Our second best player, Kyle Williams, plays out of position - as well as he does it, it's not hard to imagine that he'd be all the better as a 4-3 penetrator

4) We're in year 2 and we still don't have a true NT on the roster (DON'T say Jaspar for chrissakes)

5) We've now lost our only decent LB because of the system switch

6) The defensive coordinator who was supposed to be the architect of the switch already has been semi-demoted

7) Oh yeah, our D got worse last year

By this post another Bills fan to B**ch about something else that they wouldn't have done if they were the coach , but when you pick up your broom & mop tomorrow and our D makes a jump up this year you'll realize why your not a NFL coach !!

So tell me, what have we gained here? Someone explain it to me. I know Nix is such a great football mind/team-builder, I keep hearing it from the PTR Crew. But I have yet to see it in action.

You are thinking rushing defense was the worst because the Buffalo Bills were 3rd in total pass defense last year

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-PASSING/2010/regular

I attribute the #3 defense against the pass to Dick Jauron and his constant drafting of DB's, plus the Bills retained the DB assistant coach who was under Jauron.

The Bills were 32nd against the run and set a franchise worst record, that is saying something considering the back to back 2-14 seasons in the 80's. All Nix needed to do was instead of drafting 3 DL players #2 #3 #6 he needed to draft LB's, BTW not one of those DL players drafted last year made it to starter.

The SD Chargers had the #1 offense and #1 defense and didn't make the playoffs, but were the worst special teams unit. All these stats do is show that a team needs balance to win, on offense and defense.I think most teams are now in a pass and stop the pass mode and that doesn't win games unless you have Aaron Rodgers

Not true. Go to Www.pro-football-reference.com and see. You can compare that defense's historically wretched record against the pass against previous years too. Just because they didn't give up a ton of yards doesn't mean that they weren't singularly terrible: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2010.htm . It's about efficiency (or lack thereof), not yards. QBs had a 92.6 rating against them, which set a team record for woe. The 1984 team came close - 91.5 - but no cigar. Last year's squad get's the brass ring.

Edited by dave mcbride