Bills sign Tyler Thigpen

Maybe its been mentioned before, but I can't be the only one to be happy over Nix failing to get Jackson. That guy in a Bills uniform would have made the board one sad panda.

Thigpen is the much better choice. History of success with Gailey (on a team that arguably had less talent than even our current squad), still relatively young, athletic and not initially threatening to Fitz's starting job. Couldn't find a better backup QB.

This is the only thing that I don't like about it. Fitz is not Brady, Manning, or Brees. This team does not have the luxury at ANY position to say they don't need to find an upgrade and the starters job is safe. Fitz is a big boy, if he can't handle a little competition for his job, he is not the guy you want on your team.

I wouldn't have minded seeing what a highly drafted guy who may just need a change of scenery like Alex Smith could do with Gailey, but Thigpen is just as good for the backup spot right now

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody realize that EVERY quarterback on our roster was drafted in the seventh round?

Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tyler Thigpen, Levi Brown

I like the Thigpen signing, but it really shows how the Bills are satisfied to go dumpster diving for the NFL's most important position.

Does anybody realize that EVERY quarterback on our roster was drafted in the seventh round?

I like the Thigpen signing, but it really shows how the Bills are satisfied to go dumpster diving for the NFL's most important position.

I believe America's team has 2 unstaffed qbs at the top of their depth chart.

Barring a Warner type season by Fitz, I'd be shocked if they don't spend a 1st on a qb next year.

Tyler has been with Minnesota, KC, and Miami already and he's only 27. Personally, I find it hard to believe he's magically going to be a difference maker.

As usual we sign a marginal player at a marginal salary... Ralph = the anti-Pegula.

And Fitz has been with one team his entire career? Get a clue.

Not really surprised by this signing. We could have done worse. There are expected to be some cuts across the league in order to stay under the cap. That is where we are going to find some better quality talent. Keep your eyes peeled Buddy!

we'll make up for lack of spending on the QBs by Paying Kelsay even more- he might be taking over for POZ at MLB, he has to be better there then at OLB doesn't he.

The mob is full of morons that wanted to see aBrohmination behind center.

I'm not really concerned about that, this is the same Fan Base that wanted Jim Kelly benched for the Reich one, baby.

So that's not really a concern of course there will be a brooding horde of slack jawed yokels that will call for Thigpen.

Who cares.

The real counterpoint to my statement is that it doesn't matter what the WR core wants because they are all fighting for a spot so they can't play games. They have to make the most of every opportunity they get because we can't keep all the WRs on the regular season roster.

So, you're saying if the Bills don't win games, and Fitzpatrick is part of the problem, that you don't want to see either the 2nd or 3rd guy given a chance to see if we can get something going?

Tyler has been with Minnesota, KC, and Miami already and he's only 27. Personally, I find it hard to believe he's magically going to be a difference maker.

As usual we sign a marginal player at a marginal salary... Ralph = the anti-Pegula.

He was signed as a back-up QB, nothing more, nothing less

And Fitz has been with one team his entire career? Get a clue.

The point being, if a guy is any good he generally doesn't bounce around the league. There are exceptions (maybe you think Fitz is an exception), but the top 13 QBs last year in terms of passer rating have only played for one or at most two teams in their careers. This trend goes back many, many years.

Get a clue.

Edited by October 1918

The point being, if a guy is any good he generally doesn't bounce around the league. There are exceptions (maybe you think Fitz is an exception), but the top 13 QBs last year in terms of passer rating have only played for one or at most two teams in their careers. This trend goes back many, many years.

Get a clue.

Rich Gannon?

Kurt Warner?

There are plenty of others.

Rich Gannon?

Kurt Warner?

There are plenty of others.

No doubt, there certainly are some. Brad Johnson comes to mind as a fairly recent Super Bowl winner. But for the most part these guys are the exception. I sure hope Fitz falls into the "exception" category, but the empirical trend is strongly against he or Thigpen becoming top-tier QBs. Maybe Chan really can work magic with these guys... I guess we'll find out soon enough!

three year deal per @omarkelly of the Sun Sentinel:

"Tyler Thigpen has agreed to terms on a three year deal with Buffalo. He's reuniting with Chan Gailey, his former OC in Kansas City."

Nothing will fill the holes on this team like bringing in a QB with a career record of 1-11, because the head coach knows him?

He was signed as a back-up QB, nothing more, nothing less

Only problem with your statement, is it contradicts Thigpen's agent's statement who said the Bills promised him an eventual shot at starting?

Nothing will fill the holes on this team like bringing in a QB with a career record of 1-11, because the head coach knows him?

Only problem with your statement, is it contradicts Thigpen's agent's statement who said the Bills promised him an eventual shot at starting?

Key word: Eventual. He knows his place and that's important. Not to mention he can work with our offensive system well. But Pickings were slim at backup QB. I think we got one of the better options.