What about the O-line?

San-O

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is just another example how badly this CBA needs to get done. The draft was all the way back in april, and NOW is the best time to discuss that we only drafted one olineman in the draft? Bleh. I mean, I get the threads that say who we should sign when free agency starts, but threads that are confused about something that happened months ago is rehashing topics worse than even ESPN and NFLN are guilty of.

He seems to be better at run blocking than pass blocking. Though I can't really back that up, since the season seems like a distant memory now. But that seemed to be the opinion of most people. I don't mind him at LT. I would prefer an upgrade at that position, but there are other positions that require more attention. Like OLB, RT, TE, and ILB depending on if we resign poz.

I hear ya.

re: the bolded part - What seems never to be mentioned around here is the DTV Game replays ( the ones that only last 22 minutes, showing every play). They don't take up much DRV time and it allows me to re-watch the games and focus on specific personnel captured by the game camera. Bell performed well enough, especially given the fact he was still recuperating from serious injury the year before -as was Wood. Some folks around here blow them off as 'They Suck!' -mostly because these posters suck..

IF -and no one here knows for sure- these 2 guys continued to strengthen their injured legs and worked hard in all aspects of conditioning during the lockout, there are real reasons for optimism going into the '11 Season. Nix-ley have stated they'll address necessary areas in FA, and this is Chan's 2nd year with his offensive schemes. I expect competitive football every week!

Bell performed well enough, especially given the fact he was still recuperating from serious injury the year before -as was Wood.

If this is enough for you, so be it. But the blocking (more than the posters) has sucked for 15 or so years and the team is a serial loser during this same stretch.

Some can see a correlation. Others cannot, or are kidding themselves.

Good enough for what?

good enough to get the QB killed at some point...

good enough to fail at making holes for the RB's...

The offensive linemen this team currently has on the roster might be good enough for another 4-12 season, not good enough to make the playoffs with.

The TE situation is another area that could suck start a leaf blower, then again Chan Gailey doesn't know how to utilize a TE properly.

Not to mention RB position, will Spiller know his how to find holes, know protection schemes, know his routes this year? Or will Fred Jackson be the only decent option at RB?

Will the entire offense be cast upon the QB's shoulders again this year? Or will the offensive scheme actually try and run the ball to set up the pass?

""Good enough for what?""....good enough to get the Bills QB Andrew Luck in the next draft, now that "ole ralphie" will be able to afford a 1st overall QB with the new CBA :D ....hopefully a new coaching staff also for 2012, because this one doesn't know how to build an offensive line.

The Bills were able to pull guys of the street last year and plug them into the RT position, after watching Fitz play all they really needed to do was hold their block for 3 seconds...those cast off scrubs managed to do just that in pass protecting, but that bad RT play is probably why the running game didn't do as well as it has in past years.

Plus the team plans on going forward with those same scrubs at RT this year. The Bills should do ok as long as Fitz stays healthy, if he gets injured the team is screwed.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this team to sign any decent FA at any position as Buddy Nix has stated he doesn't like to build thru free agency.

I wouldn't call the RG candidates "scrubs." Some have some real potential. Now RT, that's a different story. And all will have had time to learn the system, unlike last year.

If this is enough for you, so be it. But the blocking (more than the posters) has sucked for 15 or so years and the team is a serial loser during this same stretch.

Some can see a correlation. Others cannot, or are kidding themselves.

The bigger problem has been finding a QB.

Doug Free could be a very realistic possibility. According to Rotoworld the Cowboys are way over the cap and may not be able to resign him.

As far as the interior goes, I'd say we're in pretty good shape with two solid starters and a bunch of servicable backups, but it wouldn't break my heart if we brought in a stud to fill the other guard spot.

I wouldn't call the RG candidates "scrubs." Some have some real potential. Now RT, that's a different story. And all will have had time to learn the system, unlike last year.

The bigger problem has been finding a QB.

I'm not sure what Chad Rinehart, Kraig Urbik, and Mansfield Wrotto have shown to indicate they've got potential, other than that Buddy Nix scoured practice squads and picked them up. That seems to be enough to some fans though.

Buffalo needs to focus on finding guys for that right side of the line who are proven NFL starters and not guys found off the couch or residing on practice squads.

I'm not sure what Chad Rinehart, Kraig Urbik, and Mansfield Wrotto have shown to indicate they've got potential, other than that Buddy Nix scoured practice squads and picked them up. That seems to be enough to some fans though.

Buffalo needs to focus on finding guys for that right side of the line who are proven NFL starters and not guys found off the couch or residing on practice squads.

Urbik and Rhinehart showed promise. And given they both joined the Bills after training camp and pre-season, they're worth developing. Wrotto I'm not a big fan of, but there are other candidates like Pears, Hairston, and Wang, plus the Bills are rumored to be interested Clabo.

Well, in all fairness they DID find Cornell Green, didn't they!

:D

Agreed. I like Urbik and Wrotto, but only for depth purposes for now. And if they don't develop of improve this year, I say replace them with better depth options. I feel a little less about wang. I have a bad feeling he isn't going to work out as well.

Agreed. I like Urbik and Wrotto, but only for depth purposes for now. And if they don't develop of improve this year, I say replace them with better depth options. I feel a little less about wang. I have a bad feeling he isn't going to work out as well.

Looking over many of the posts in this thread most of you guys are expecting this O line to be good enough to compete in the AFC East this year, let me tell you it isn't even close.

Go back and watch the last two games of last season against the Patriots 34-3, and Jets 38-7, that O line wasn't anywhere near good enough, and it won't be with the players currently on the roster.

The Bills have a tougher schedule this year, opponents have tape on what Fitz can do, they know what plays Gailey will call. This team has no power on that O line save for one or two guys, they can't run block very well, they have no viable TE, no back up QB and RB.

Looking over many of the posts in this thread most of you guys are expecting this O line to be good enough to compete in the AFC East this year, let me tell you it isn't even close.

Go back and watch the last two games of last season against the Patriots 34-3, and Jets 38-7, that O line wasn't anywhere near good enough, and it won't be with the players currently on the roster.

The Bills have a tougher schedule this year, opponents have tape on what Fitz can do, they know what plays Gailey will call. This team has no power on that O line save for one or two guys, they can't run block very well, they have no viable TE, no back up QB and RB.

Dude first off it's two games second those teams make alot of people look bad

Third we have good depth at running back . Fourth Chandler can block but he was a late pickup

Fifth Urbik wood and Levitre all have ass

Look at ravens and steelers games

You realize that during the last 2 (3 actually) games of the season, the right side was filled by 2 players who were picked-up by the Bills in October, right? Also with Wood moving to center, it allows Hangman to compete for RG.

I was very impressed with Urbik at the RG spot when they inserted him......massive and nasty in the run game.

RT is a position of worry

can't wait to see what Colin Brown and Chad can do.

actually we should get Worlds Strongest man Competitors to play line;

LT Brian shaw 6'8" 425 Deadlift 950

LG Zydrunas Savickas 6'3" 375 Deadlift 950

C Andy Bolton 6'2" 350 Deadlift 1008

RG Benedikt Magnusson 6'0" 377 Deadlift 1015

RT HafThor Bjornsson 6'9" 425 Deadlift 814 (he's still young that DL will be over 900 soon)

I was very impressed with Urbik at the RG spot when they inserted him......massive and nasty in the run game.

RT is a position of worry

I'm also thinking Urbik is the guy at RG, and that would make for a solid 4/5 of the O-line, with Hangman being a great backup at all 3 interior spots. All of them being healthy and familiar with the system will be a big boost over last year. And if it's true that they're targeting Clabo and get him, it could be a very good OL. But even there, just having a guy who is plugged-in early and can stay healthy will help a lot.

I'm also thinking Urbik is the guy at RG, and that would make for a solid 4/5 of the O-line, with Hangman being a great backup at all 3 interior spots. All of them being healthy and familiar with the system will be a big boost over last year. And if it's true that they're targeting Clabo and get him, it could be a very good OL. But even there, just having a guy who is plugged-in early and can stay healthy will help a lot.

+ 1

This could be the formula, and with a shorter than normal amount of prep. time due to the lockout, I think we will find out very quickly who is going to be where as soon as training camp starts: They're not going to have the luxury of swapping guys around here

and there I wound't think.

Plug the best options in there and go with it.

Bell - Levitre - Wood - Urbik - RT ?

+ 1

This could be the formula, and with a shorter than normal amount of prep. time due to the lockout, I think we will find out very quickly who is going to be where as soon as training camp starts: They're not going to have the luxury of swapping guys around here

and there I wound't think.

Plug the best options in there and go with it.

Bell - Levitre - Wood - Urbik - RT ?

That's what I'm thinking. Hangman is too valuable as a backup. And it appears RT is Pears' job to lose, assuming they don't add a FA. Again hopefully they settle on the OL quickly.

Good enough for 5-11.

Urbik and Pears on the right side? Oh my. I prefer:

Bell - Levitre - Hangartner - Wood - Clabo (if they are serious about him)

Why Hangman at center and not RG?

A line of

D. Bell - LT

Levitre - LG

Wood - C

Urbick - RG

Clabo/Trueblood/Booth - RT

With Hangman backing up at the interior positions

This would be the most solid line this team has had in years......and you dont cultivate and bring along guys like D. Bell then go another direction when they are improving every year (even though they have been rehabbing injuries) that is how you take steps BACKWARD on your team.

How is my post saying that wrotto, urbik, and wang should only be depth options, and if they don't improve, they should be cut all together, has ANYTHING to do with what you are talking about in this post?

Don't know much about him. Explain please.

"I don’t see right tackle as high on the priority list," said the team's official newsman. "It’s fourth behind DL, LB and QB as I see it. The reason why is because of the aforementioned Erik Pears. He was a two-year starter for Denver before he fell out of favor there and bounced around since then. Is he a long term solution? That’s up to the coaches, but he’s at least a proven player at that position in the league and can hold the fort until they cultivate more talent."

Never said he was allpro, said he was good enough

Edited by Defend Greece

Bell improved a lot last season coming off of a season ending injury. He went from one of the worst NFL LT's to a more than serviceable NFL LT (And having only played 8 NFL games in the previous season). I think that he will only stand to improve both with both being farther removed from injury and more experience.

Levitre is good at LG and Wood is a good Center.

That accounts for the whole left side of the line plus the center position. I also think that Handgartner can spot out at RG and at least be serviceable.

That leaves RT And the Bills have a chance at landing one in free agency.

"I don’t see right tackle as high on the priority list," said the team's official newsman. "It’s fourth behind DL, LB and QB as I see it. The reason why is because of the aforementioned Erik Pears. He was a two-year starter for Denver before he fell out of favor there and bounced around since then. Is he a long term solution? That’s up to the coaches, but he’s at least a proven player at that position in the league and can hold the fort until they cultivate more talent."

I didn't say you did. But thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Word is that they're targeting Falcon's RT Tyson Clabo.

So, with teams unable to talk to players, I assume they can talk to agents?? Where else would these "words" be coming from, unless they're made up?

So, with teams unable to talk to players, I assume they can talk to agents?? Where else would these "words" be coming from, unless they're made up?

No one is talking to the players or the agents (legally). But the front office has said what they plan to do, which is resign poz and florence, and maybe whitner. Then there have been leaks about other players they are targeting. Just because they say they are targeting a player, doesn't mean they are talking to them. They have openly said they are targeting poz, but I am sure as hell they aren't talking to him right now.

Some folks around here blow them off as 'They Suck!' -mostly because these posters suck.

What is TBD's excuse for not replacing them? Too cheap? Bad front office? Terrible scouting department? Unwilling to cut the overhyped veterans due to fans?

We have been dealing with this problem for years! <_<

How is my post saying that wrotto, urbik, and wang should only be depth options, and if they don't improve, they should be cut all together, has ANYTHING to do with what you are talking about in this post?

No not really, I was just making a general statement about the current players. Once posted i noticed i quoted your post but didn't mean to.... to lazy to re post :D

Well, he wasn't good enough to beat out either Cornell Green or Langston Walker when he was in Oakland.

And he wasn't good enough to win a back up job in Jacksonville last fall.

I'm not surprised that this is how they feel.

This is probably the same official newsman who said how happy they were with Bell and Kirk Chambers during the 2009 season.

They really need to get someone who can evaluate an OL past the "he's 6'8" and 300 lb." stage.

Well, he wasn't good enough to beat out either Cornell Green or Langston Walker when he was in Oakland.

This is probably the same official newsman who said how happy they were with Bell and Kirk Chambers during the 2009 season.

They really need to get someone who can evaluate an OL past the "he's 6'8" and 300 lb." stage.

Actually he was and did and played lg as well

And he dealt with injury problems

Edited by Defend Greece

That will only happen once the staff changes and they hire people that know how to do their jobs or ownership changes, or both.

What is amazing is this stuff has been going on for more then a decade with no end in sight, because the stadium is filled every year.

Dude first off it's two games second those teams make alot of people look bad

Third we have good depth at running back . Fourth Chandler can block but he was a late pickup

Fifth Urbik wood and Levitre all have ass

Look at ravens and steelers games

First, it was more then just the Patriots and Jets, take a look at the beatdown the Vikings gave the Bills, the line is not good enough.

second, Bills play the Jets-Pats 2x every year in the division, and not the steelers-ravens.... so the only way to compete in the division is to beat the Jets-Pats at least once each

Third, I don't know about "WE" having good depth at RB, but currently the Bills only have Fred Jackson, Spiller hasn't proven he knows how to do his job yet. I don't see anyone behind those two.

Fourth, Chandler was cut by both the Chargers-Cowboy's so he wasn't good enough to make those teams as a backup, and yet you see him as the answer at TE. another cast off scrub that is going to suddenly become a pro bowl player because the Bills picked him off the waiver wire

Fifth, Wood and Levitre are about the only two decent players on that line, the rest wouldn't even be backups on other teams.

This team is going forward with about the same players they had last year on offense, except for Lynch. If they are lucky they will match the wins they had last season.

That will only happen once the staff changes and they hire people that know how to do their jobs or ownership changes, or both.

What is amazing is this stuff has been going on for more then a decade with no end in sight, because the stadium is filled every year.

First, it was more then just the Patriots and Jets, take a look at the beatdown the Vikings gave the Bills, the line is not good enough.

second, Bills play the Jets-Pats 2x every year in the division, and not the steelers-ravens.... so the only way to compete in the division is to beat the Jets-Pats at least once each

Third, I don't know about "WE" having good depth at RB, but currently the Bills only have Fred Jackson, Spiller hasn't proven he knows how to do his job yet. I don't see anyone behind those two.

Fourth, Chandler was cut by both the Chargers-Cowboy's so he wasn't good enough to make those teams as a backup, and yet you see him as the answer at TE. another cast off scrub that is going to suddenly become a pro bowl player because the Bills picked him off the waiver wire

Fifth, Wood and Levitre are about the only two decent players on that line, the rest wouldn't even be backups on other teams.

This team is going forward with about the same players they had last year on offense, except for Lynch. If they are lucky they will match the wins they had last season.

You'd have point (except for the laughable "[every OL other than Wood and Levitre] wouldn't even be backups on other teams")...if health, reps, and time in the system meant absolutely nothing. Oh and the Vikes put a beatdown on the Eagles, and they have a pretty good OL, featuring "Pro Bowl" LT Jason Peters.