What about the O-line?

San-O

Even without a FA acquisition, the O-line should be far better than last year. Having all the competing players and being healthy going into training camp will help with cohesion, unlike last year where players were (still) injured and others joined late.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHY do people keep talking about moving Bell to RT?

He is growing into the LT position...his agility and athletism is totally suited more to the left side then the power and road grating that is needed on the Right Side of a offensive line......

OK....here is the thing. If the ceiling is true about the cap and the bills are going to have to spend money AND there is a rookie scale then the bills HAVE to spend some money in order to meet the requirement.

Sure....we will probably sign some of our own free agents...BUT that wont spend all of it.....where else to spend money then the place where we continually take injuries and were picking off the cut wire for starters......

It only makes sense

OK, I'll bite: How do you explain the Bills O being 25th in the league in yards/game and 28th in points/game? Has nothing to do with the O-line?

Okay since you bit try turnovers were a big part and not holding teams to three and outs and don't forget the two games Edwards started and the brohm debacle.

Our running backs had good averages and fitz didn't get sacked too much

But we did play jets twice patriots twice dolphins twice steelers ravens packers bears and Vikings

This thread is just another example how badly this CBA needs to get done. The draft was all the way back in april, and NOW is the best time to discuss that we only drafted one olineman in the draft? Bleh. I mean, I get the threads that say who we should sign when free agency starts, but threads that are confused about something that happened months ago is rehashing topics worse than even ESPN and NFLN are guilty of.

WHY do people keep talking about moving Bell to RT?

He seems to be better at run blocking than pass blocking. Though I can't really back that up, since the season seems like a distant memory now. But that seemed to be the opinion of most people. I don't mind him at LT. I would prefer an upgrade at that position, but there are other positions that require more attention. Like OLB, RT, TE, and ILB depending on if we resign poz.

Okay since you bit try turnovers were a big part and not holding teams to three and outs and don't forget the two games Edwards started and the brohm debacle.

Our running backs had good averages and fitz didn't get sacked too much

But we did play jets twice patriots twice dolphins twice steelers ravens packers bears and Vikings

I was looking for something more substanative, but the offense was just as bad as the defense. In fact, the Bills D ALSO ranked

25th in yards/game and 28 in points/game.

Maybe if the O could move the ball, they could help keep the horrible D off the field?

Very happy about the D-line and D in general with the off season additions.

What about the O-line: the Bills are going into the season (TBA) with the same O-line as last season, which isn't very good.

I know the expectations were high with Gailey being on O guy, but the Bills didn't score any more points than the previous season that the stats show.

How many years does it take fix/correct the O-line?

It's not like they didn't pick up 3 or so players in FA last year that they are high on plus the fact that if they pick up some UDFA like they did last year at the receiver position i think we'll be doing just fine .

Buddy & Chan have a plan sit back & watch them work Fitz magic !!! :thumbsup:

I would guess, either Pears or Wrotto are the two highest RTs on the depth chart right now. But I also think Wang is the wild card. We didn't see much of him last season because of the injury. Thus, he's like an extra draft choice this year, but with benefits -- the learning experience of one season = some practice, some conditioning, and lots of meetings and class/film room work. I will speculate, that if the Bills staff feels he's legit, there will be no major free agent RT candidates signed, and don't be surprised if he is the starting RT opening game.

I was looking for something more substanative, but the offense was just as bad as the defense. In fact, the Bills D ALSO ranked

25th in yards/game and 28 in points/game.

Maybe if the O could move the ball, they could help keep the horrible D off the field?

maybe if both sides did better we could win some games??? :unsure:

You are pretty quick to be critical of a team where you don't even know who played on it last year. Not to mention, you are using something as useless as STATS to back up your claims.

If you are going to judge the offense on points per a game, you have to take out the games Edwards started first of all, because the QB makes the most difference on the offense. Since edwards isn't the QB anymore, you have to look at how the team played with fitzpatrick. You inlcuding Edward's stats shows how inaccurate your argument is. stop using just stats with your argument. You have either use stats better, or use more than stats. This isn't baseball. This is football. Stats don't mean as much, by far.

This thread is just another example how badly this CBA needs to get done. The draft was all the way back in april, and NOW is the best time to discuss that we only drafted one olineman in the draft? Bleh. I mean, I get the threads that say who we should sign when free agency starts, but threads that are confused about something that happened months ago is rehashing topics worse than even ESPN and NFLN are guilty of.

He seems to be better at run blocking than pass blocking. Though I can't really back that up, since the season seems like a distant memory now. But that seemed to be the opinion of most people. I don't mind him at LT. I would prefer an upgrade at that position, but there are other positions that require more attention. Like OLB, RT, TE, and ILB depending on if we resign poz.

Bell has been a focus of mine for the last 2 years. He is definately not better at run blocking then he is at pass blocking. People that say this seem to forget that he has completely shut down some pretty good pass rushers....now......he has also gotten beaten by some of the ones that beat all the other OT's. To me strength is not Bells strong asset so i dont see how he can be a better run blocker.....what he does well is move his feet.

Just curious ,which O-line are you refering to.The one we started with,the 3 or 4 we had in the season or the one we ended up with??? Another thing is just how many linemen do you know that can be dropped into a game without knowing the offense at all?Again just curious.

The Bills were able to pull guys of the street last year and plug them into the RT position, after watching Fitz play all they really needed to do was hold their block for 3 seconds...those cast off scrubs managed to do just that in pass protecting, but that bad RT play is probably why the running game didn't do as well as it has in past years.

Plus the team plans on going forward with those same scrubs at RT this year. The Bills should do ok as long as Fitz stays healthy, if he gets injured the team is screwed.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this team to sign any decent FA at any position as Buddy Nix has stated he doesn't like to build thru free agency.

... I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this team to sign any decent FA at any position as Buddy Nix has stated he doesn't like to build thru free agency.

Perhaps you'd be kind enough to quote all the GMs that HAVE stated they like to build through free agency.

GO BILLS!!!

The Bills were able to pull guys of the street last year and plug them into the RT position, after watching Fitz play all they really needed to do was hold their block for 3 seconds...those cast off scrubs managed to do just that in pass protecting, but that bad RT play is probably why the running game didn't do as well as it has in past years.

Plus the team plans on going forward with those same scrubs at RT this year. The Bills should do ok as long as Fitz stays healthy, if he gets injured the team is screwed.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this team to sign any decent FA at any position as Buddy Nix has stated he doesn't like to build thru free agency.

Just hold a block for 3 seconds,,,,HmmmmmmmmmmmmmI really would like to overhear a conversation between you and say Wood or you and Chan maybe. Being clueless is one thing but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,You are at a whole nuther level.

Bell has been a focus of mine for the last 2 years. He is definately not better at run blocking then he is at pass blocking. People that say this seem to forget that he has completely shut down some pretty good pass rushers....now......he has also gotten beaten by some of the ones that beat all the other OT's. To me strength is not Bells strong asset so i dont see how he can be a better run blocker.....what he does well is move his feet.

I think the real reason people claim he is better at run blocking is because the team was most successful running the ball on the left side, more than the right side. So it wasn't that he was better at run blocking, but he was better at it than anyone playing RT. As for his pass blocking, he was adequet most of the season, but got better as the season went on. In his defense, he was battleing injuries in the early part. The whole line in general got better as the season went on, and the only eyesore most of the season was RT.

I like bell, and I don't think we have hit the ceiling with him yet. I think with him getting better each game, he will still get better this season.

Just hold a block for 3 seconds,,,,HmmmmmmmmmmmmmI really would like to overhear a conversation between you and say Wood or you and Chan maybe. Being clueless is one thing but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,You are at a whole nuther level.

oh boy....

3 seconds isn't bad. 4 seconds is good. 5 seconds is really good against a bad team.

OK, I'll bite: How do you explain the Bills O being 25th in the league in yards/game and 28th in points/game? Has nothing to do with the O-line?

Sure it has something to do with the O-line. But it also has to do with the fact that our D couldn't get off the field. Our time of possession sucked last year, and I'd venture that it was primarily the defense's fault.

Very happy about the D-line and D in general with the off season additions.

What about the O-line: the Bills are going into the season (TBA) with the same O-line as last season, which isn't very good.

I know the expectations were high with Gailey being on O guy, but the Bills didn't score any more points than the previous season that the stats show.

How many years does it take fix/correct the O-line?

Next years draft, when the FO realizes that cast offs aren't starters.

before You open your mouth, why not take a min to think about what I posted

Go back and watch some youtube plays of Fitz last year and see that he got the ball out to the open receiver in 3 seconds or under, usually. That dropped pass by Stevie Johnson against Pittsburgh was a deep, 10 yard drop back by Fitz, it still only took 3 1/2 seconds to get the ball out. Because Fitz was able to find that open WR and hit him so quickly it made the line look much better then it actually was, plus it was also the huge difference between Fitz, Trent Edwards and Brian Brohm

In that first Jets game he didn't even have 3 seconds with Cornell Green at RT, but his es-capability allowed him to evade the Jets pass rush and he was the leader rusher for the Bills in that game.

Fitz didn't have much time to throw in those first 8 games, 0-8 remember? That crappy O line the Bills fielded last year was a big reason as to why the team only won 4 games. Once the team was able to find a decent scrub RT off the waiver wire it gave Fitz more time to throw.