What about the O-line?

San-O

The Bills are at odds with every team in the NFL re: OT's. While most clubs are drafting OT's high, they outright refuse to and cite other needs. Well, what's more important than protecting your QB from edge rushers? In the pass happy NFL, it's all about getting pressure and the easiest way to do it is with 43DE's or 34OLB's. It also would help if whomever plays QB has more than 2 seconds to throw before getting hit, which obviously means the HC has to plan more 3 step drops therefore limiting his playbook.

Every team in the NFL has prioritized the OT position. Every one except Buffalo that is. But, they still have free agency to obtain someone more proven than what they have. Then again, Nix has worked for franchises that didn't prioritize the position either. They didn't draft 1 OT in rounds 1-2 in Buffalo from 93-00 and only 1 (Marcus McNeill) from 01-08. How's that for a track record?

Gailey and Nix should be fired for their failure to draft an OT in round 1 or 2 in the 20 year period prior to their employment with the Buffalo Bills*. Nix is clearly haunted by decisions made 10 years ago which he had nothing to do with. I've heard Buddy is also kept awake at night by Custer's decisions at Little Big Horn and Pickett's charge, for which he too feels responsible.

*Don't even bother bringing up the fact that Buddy was working with the Bills in the 90s. He was just a scout and not the GM.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, I'm almost sorry I can't blow sunshine out my keester like you guys over this team. Bills fans used to be so intelligent about the team and would stop attending games when the team was bad, the last ten years has shown otherwise. I suppose it might have something to do with RW's age, and should he pass the team might be moved so everyone needs to show undying support.

Was anything I posted in my last post not the truth? Some of you have difficulty dealing with the truth, and cold hard facts. Revel in your denial for all I care. I'll tell you what, no matter what happens this season I'm not the one who will be disappointed.

I'll give you guys another year or so, your views will change.

The Bills are at odds with every team in the NFL re: OT's. While most clubs are drafting OT's high, they outright refuse to and cite other needs. Well, what's more important than protecting your QB from edge rushers? In the pass happy NFL, it's all about getting pressure and the easiest way to do it is with 43DE's or 34OLB's. It also would help if whomever plays QB has more than 2 seconds to throw before getting hit, which obviously means the HC has to plan more 3 step drops therefore limiting his playbook.

Every team in the NFL has prioritized the OT position. Every one except Buffalo that is. But, they still have free agency to obtain someone more proven than what they have. Then again, Nix has worked for franchises that didn't prioritize the position either. They didn't draft 1 OT in rounds 1-2 in Buffalo from 93-00 and only 1 (Marcus McNeill) from 01-08. How's that for a track record?

Well, at least we're not drafting defensive backs like a lab rat on crack!

Another thing I don't understand is if/when you do HIT on an O lineman, you can pretty much forget about that spot for like ten years. I think

O linemen have the longest career of any position. Seems like a pretty good value if you are going high in the draft for one of these guys.

IMO.

I don't think we could have afforded another miss so high, like mike Williams not just because of the gamble but because of the money.

I am sure if the new rookie wages get approved (as per bleacher report ; ) ), and bell faltures then as long as we don't have a shot at luck we will go tackle.

Yea, I'm almost sorry I can't blow sunshine out my keester like you guys over this team. Bills fans used to be so intelligent about the team and would stop attending games when the team was bad, the last ten years has shown otherwise. I suppose it might have something to do with RW's age, and should he pass the team might be moved so everyone needs to show undying support.

Was anything I posted in my last post not the truth? Some of you have difficulty dealing with the truth, and cold hard facts. Revel in your denial for all I care. I'll tell you what, no matter what happens this season I'm not the one who will be disappointed.

No one is asking you to blow sunshine out of your "keester" but the constant flow of excrement has gotten tiresome.

Criticizing Gailey because the number 1 and 2 RB on the depth chart went down in preseason, and he was forced to start number 3 (who looked really good in preseason by the way), is absurd. What a comedy of errors it is when a coach has to go to the depth chart to put a team on the field. Lombardi probably would have played with 10 men rather than resort to playing a rookie. What a fool Gailey is!

Condemning the current GM and coach for the folly of past regimes is absurd. Your assertion that the Bills 4-12 record is solely a product of offensive line play is also absurd. The notion that Nix does not care about the OL because he addressed other needs with the 1st and 2nd round picks is absurd. The sentiment that Nix does not value the OL unless he wins the free agency bidding war for the next can't miss tackle is...overly simplistic.

You have one note - offensive line, offensive line, doom and gloom, anyone who disagrees is drinking the kool aid/making excuses - we get it. Please, bring something else to the discussion.

it's called being a true fan, try it

No one is asking you to blow sunshine out of your "keester" but the constant flow of excrement has gotten tiresome.

Criticizing Gailey because the number 1 and 2 RB on the depth chart went down in preseason, and he was forced to start number 3 (who looked really good in preseason by the way), is absurd. What a comedy of errors it is when a coach has to go to the depth chart to put a team on the field. Lombardi probably would have played with 10 men rather than resort to playing a rookie. What a fool Gailey is!

Condemning the current GM and coach for the folly of past regimes is absurd. Your assertion that the Bills 4-12 record is solely a product of offensive line play is also absurd. The notion that Nix does not care about the OL because he addressed other needs with the 1st and 2nd round picks is absurd. The sentiment that Nix does not value the OL unless he wins the free agency bidding war for the next can't miss tackle is...overly simplistic.

You have one note - offensive line, offensive line, doom and gloom, anyone who disagrees is drinking the kool aid/making excuses - we get it. Please, bring something else to the discussion.

In case you missed it, this thread is about the O line :lol:

If anyone is spewing excrement its you, where did I state that the current GM & and HC should be condemned for the past regimes? Where did state that the 4-12 record was solely a product of the O line play? Man, you can make up crap as you go along can't ya.

Try and comprehend that Spiller was BENCHED because he didn't know his job, and Gailey didn't know that Spiller didn't know how to do his job. You can misconstrue that fact and twist it around any way you want, it tells me the HC didn't know the player he named the starter WASN'T READY! Both Jackson and Lynch could have started that opening game because they both played in that Miami game. The fact that Gailey named Spiller the starter and then is forced to bench him shows me that he is a fool, but keep defending him.

Last time I checked this is an open forum, I'll post what I want :D

I'm 50 years old and have been following this team since 1968. To your comment, my "views" will NEVER change. And to the bolded before that, no matter what happens this year, I will not be disappointed either. I'll remember the good times, the good games, the good plays, my favorite players, and getting together with fellow Bills fans who live and die with the team and cheering together. I'll grasp onto whatever straws I can grasp onto… because I choose to be a happy person.

Here's what some of the "negative" posters don't get:

There's a difference between acknowledging past, present, or possible future mistakes that the team has committed and obsessing/wallowing over them.

I and other "KoolAid drinkers" are also critical of the Bills but again, it's not the first and last things out of our mouths… nor is it everything in between.

The difference between success and failure in the NFL is very slim and lots of good work gets obscured in the losing. The negativists would deny/argue that any good work has ever been done.

The negativists pronounce every step and action of this organization as a mistake and would also predict failure due solely to the past results mostly caused by a different regime.

The negativists will always harp on the name Cornell Green… like a husband who can't let his wife forget that she danced with another man ten years ago. The negativists will always have the "he named Trent the starter" argument, and the "we could have traded Marshawn Lynch earlier" argument, as if there was no sound basis for these decisions at the time and as if these negativists had all the facts and inside info (the negativist will want to argue this point, thereby missing the actual point). The negativist clutches those names and arguments tightly to his breast like a bastard child whom he both loves and hates, displaying his ambivalence for all the world to see. The negativist obsesses over the name Haloti Ngata.

The negativist would rather frown than smile, even though it takes more effort to frown.

The negativist would like you to think that he can compartmentalize his misery over the Bills and that this misery doesn't somehow doesn't reflect on his overall perspective on life.

The negativist is a grudge holder, unable to forgive and forget. The negativist would rather remember and rage like the man who tells his son, "you'll never amount to anything" because his son had a hard time potty training.

The negativist calls himself a realist even though 90% of what he says is negative and that this percentage is not anywhere near a true reflection of the team's performance… because almost nothing in the world is 90% bad.

The negativist doesn't realize that by being 90% negative, they lose all credibility in their views… because a true realist would be divided more or less about 50/50 in terms of negative and positive posts about the Bills (actually the Bills historical winning percentage is in the low 40s… so I will set 43% optimism/57% negativity as the new benchmark going forward).

:)

Why are you wasting your time doing this?

I'm 50 years old and have been following this team since 1968. To your comment, my "views" will NEVER change. And to the bolded before that, no matter what happens this year, I will not be disappointed either. I'll remember the good times, the good games, the good plays, my favorite players, and getting together with fellow Bills fans who live and die with the team and cheering together. I'll grasp onto whatever straws I can grasp onto… because I choose to be a happy person.

Here's what some of the "negative" posters don't get:

There's a difference between acknowledging past, present, or possible future mistakes that the team has committed and obsessing/wallowing over them.

I and other "KoolAid drinkers" are also critical of the Bills but again, it's not the first and last things out of our mouths… nor is it everything in between.

The difference between success and failure in the NFL is very slim and lots of good work gets obscured in the losing. The negativists would deny/argue that any good work has ever been done.

The negativists pronounce every step and action of this organization as a mistake and would also predict failure due solely to the past results mostly caused by a different regime.

The negativists will always harp on the name Cornell Green… like a husband who can't let his wife forget that she danced with another man ten years ago. The negativists will always have the "he named Trent the starter" argument, and the "we could have traded Marshawn Lynch earlier" argument, as if there was no sound basis for these decisions at the time and as if these negativists had all the facts and inside info (the negativist will want to argue this point, thereby missing the actual point). The negativist clutches those names and arguments tightly to his breast like a bastard child whom he both loves and hates, displaying his ambivalence for all the world to see. The negativist obsesses over the name Haloti Ngata.

The negativist would rather frown than smile, even though it takes more effort to frown.

The negativist would like you to think that he can compartmentalize his misery over the Bills and that this misery doesn't somehow doesn't reflect on his overall perspective on life.

The negativist is a grudge holder, unable to forgive and forget. The negativist would rather remember and rage like the man who tells his son, "you'll never amount to anything" because his son had a hard time potty training.

The negativist calls himself a realist even though 90% of what he says is negative and that this percentage is not anywhere near a true reflection of the team's performance… because almost nothing in the world is 90% bad.

The negativist doesn't realize that by being 90% negative, they lose all credibility in their views… because a true realist would be divided more or less about 50/50 in terms of negative and positive posts about the Bills (actually the Bills historical winning percentage is in the low 40s… so I will set 43% optimism/57% negativity as the new benchmark going forward).

:)

+1

Go back and look at the history of the O line of this franchise, when they have a good line the team wins, when they field a bad line they lose. Pretty simple to deduce that below average players simply won't get it done, and never will. Look at the history of the last ten years 30+ linemen and 10+ QB's, they go hand in hand.

That mindset is deeply ingrained since the failure of LT Mike Williams in 02, I think they are afraid to select a tackle early because they were burned by Williams. Yet, they think nothing of all the other positions they have been burned on, like DE-DB et al

Well Harvey, lets start with the above. You cite the history of personnel decisions regarding offensive linemen and go on to assert that decisions made by Donahoe still have bearing on the way the team is being run. Hmmm, where would I have ever gotten the idea you were judging Nix based on prior management? I must be making things up again.

Judging by the way this franchise puts a priority on the O line I highly doubt they will ever build a winner as long as RW owns the team. I just can't see regime after regime ignoring the line without some directive from above, especially considering the reputation of micromanaging this owner has gotten.

Again, citing past results as evidence as how the team is currently being run. I must be making things up again though. BTW, nice conspiracy theory. Ralph is anti O Line? That's a new one.

Perhaps many posters here enjoyed last years 4-12 season, and can only see this team getting better. I hate losing and I can only see this team repeating last seasons ugly performance with the very same players

One would have to be delusional to think that this college coaching staff is going to suddenly be good enough to develop top players out of trash found on the waiver wire.... or that players plagued with constant injuries year after year and play lousy with those injuries will suddenly play better.

What transpires in free agency when it opens will show if this team is determined to win in this division this season. RT-G or C for the line should be the priorities, if they ignore the line or bring in more Cornell Greens, then don't expect much improvement from last seasons 4-12 record.

Moving on, you predict the Bills will finish roughly 4-12 until the team addresses 3 OL positions. From this we can easily infer that you totally discount all other facets of the game including the entire defense and offensive skill positions which the team has addressed. You have clearly stated that all success rests on O Line decisions. How else can this be interpreted? Must be making this up too, I suppose.

I gotta think that when a player doesn't know his assignments its the coaches, particularly when he was named the starting RB for opening day, and then benched because the he couldn't perform his job in any aspect, and the fact that the HC didn't even know the limited ability of the player he named starter.Then the team was forced to play a guy with his hand in a cast and the other RB still hampered by a leg injury.

A comedy of errors for the first 8 games, but its ok...the Bills will make the playoffs this year ...right?

So which is it Harvey? Did Jackson have his hand in cast and was Lynch hampered by a leg injury, or were they both able to start as you stated below?

"Try and comprehend that Spiller was BENCHED because he didn't know his job, and Gailey didn't know that Spiller didn't know how to do his job. You can misconstrue that fact and twist it around any way you want, it tells me the HC didn't know the player he named the starter WASN'T READY! Both Jackson and Lynch could have started that opening game because they both played in that Miami game. The fact that Gailey named Spiller the starter and then is forced to bench him shows me that he is a fool, but keep defending him."

You're right Harvey, it is an open forum and you can post whatever you like, I never said otherwise. I just urged you to bring something new to the table, rather than the same tired rant and pathetic defenses.

Edited by Jauronimo

Well Harvey, lets start with the above. You cite the history of personnel decisions regarding offensive linemen and go on to assert that decisions made by Donahoe still have bearing on the way the team is being run. Hmmm, where would I have ever gotten the idea you were judging Nix based on prior management? I must be making things up again.

Again, citing past results as evidence as how the team is currently being run. I must be making things up again though. BTW, nice conspiracy theory. Ralph is anti O Line? That's a new one.

Moving on, you predict the Bills will finish roughly 4-12 until the team addresses 3 OL positions. From this we can easily infer that you totally discount all other facets of the game including the entire defense and offensive skill positions which the team has addressed. You have clearly stated that all success rests on O Line decisions. How else can this be interpreted? Must be making this up too, I suppose.

So which is it Harvey? Did Jackson have his hand in cast and was Lynch hampered by a leg injury, or were they both able to start as you stated below?

"Try and comprehend that Spiller was BENCHED because he didn't know his job, and Gailey didn't know that Spiller didn't know how to do his job. You can misconstrue that fact and twist it around any way you want, it tells me the HC didn't know the player he named the starter WASN'T READY! Both Jackson and Lynch could have started that opening game because they both played in that Miami game. The fact that Gailey named Spiller the starter and then is forced to bench him shows me that he is a fool, but keep defending him."

You're right Harvey, it is an open forum and you can post whatever you like, I never said otherwise. I just urged you to bring something new to the table, rather than the same tired rant and pathetic defenses.

Harvey..... You got served

I'm not miserable at all, just annoyed by couch coaches that believe they think they know what they are talking about when discussing player performance. posters here are kidding themselves if they don't think that competing with the Patriots- Jets- Dolphins isn't the highest priority, and most of the O linemen currently on the roster might be good enough for a minor league team, just not nearly good enough to compete against some of the best teams in the NFL ...that reside in the AFC East.

Perhaps many posters here enjoyed last years 4-12 season, and can only see this team getting better. I hate losing and I can only see this team repeating last seasons ugly performance with the very same players

One would have to be delusional to think that this college coaching staff is going to suddenly be good enough to develop top players out of trash found on the waiver wire.... or that players plagued with constant injuries year after year and play lousy with those injuries will suddenly play better.

Here is something to consider, every NFL player suffers thru injuries every year, its how they cope and play with those injuries that defines them. An example was Thurman Thomas who was always in pain with two bad ankles, from college to the pro's, it didn't stop him from having a HoF career.

What transpires in free agency when it opens will show if this team is determined to win in this division this season. RT-G or C for the line should be the priorities, if they ignore the line or bring in more Cornell Greens, then don't expect much improvement from last seasons 4-12 record.

I've been there and felt that way about the Bills in the past decade+. After being absolutely man-handled by the Patriots just one time like we've endured consistently would've been enough for other team's HC's or Owners to step in and say, "we can't lose like that again to those guys. We're professionals, we're men, we've got pride, we gotta do something." It did seem, though, that Juaron was able to swallow that embarrassing beat down time and again and it did seem like he brought similar teams back year in and out with maddeningly similar approaches, expecting different results.

However, this year and this team is not our recent Bills. This team has a H.C. who at least has shown he knows how to score points - and he, or the GM - went out and got a very credited addition to our defense in Wannstedt. Our coaching staff is quite large and, I think, trying to be innovative in today's NFL. Buddy brought in some O-linemen who played alright for us at times last year, and some of the others looked to have potential. Livetre plays pretty good ball. Bell, I think, has deserved this year to prove his capabilities. Wood is a good O-lineman. I'd say we have Wood, Bell, and Levitre, not to mention Hangartner - on our O-line who could all be starting on other NFL teams. They might not represent the very best, but they are not the worst, either. Now, I'm one who believes we shoudl aspire for the best, especially in professional sports - but give Buddy a chance. This is year 2. This Bills team will probably be quite decent this year. Who knows what type of restrictions he has with Wilson, but I think this staff and this team is set to become good. Whether they have what it takes to get to great is another matter - and I think that is something we will see beginning with this Free Agency period.

We know we have holes, we know we aren't as good as our competition in certain areas, and we are entering one of the biggest Free Agency period, if not the biggest, ever. We've got to go out there and bring in some guys who are good enough and young enough to help improve this team. If we do nothing in Free Agency, then I'd say that does go to show that our Front Office knows - not believes, but knows - that it doesn't have to win to sell tickets. I don't want a Front Office that doesn't have winning as it's number one goal. (The Patriots have been getting younger, so to believe the Bills can sit back, draft good for 4 years and ascend the division by virtue of our opponents age is ridiculous, we've got to go after it to make it happen)

Edited by sllib olaffub

The top moves in free agency? one...sign our own free agents if possible...two find offensive line (tackles and tight end) and third find a linebacker. We could make major improvements in the free agency market and fill some GAPING holes...Left tackle and right tackle.

The top moves in free agency? one...sign our own free agents if possible...two find offensive line (tackles and tight end) and third find a linebacker. We could make major improvements in the free agency market and fill some GAPING holes...Left tackle and right tackle.

Come on man. That would give us a winning season. Those are illegal for the Bills.

blah blah blah...

Like I said earlier. I'll give it another year, maybe less and all of you will want either Gailey or Nix fired, probably both. You guys just don't see it yet, its ok. It took 3+ years for everyone to see what an idiot Jauron was.

If I am wrong, (miracles do happen at times) and this team makes it to the playoffs or even makes it to a winning record over the next two years. I'll apologize if I affronted your righteous indignation of the 3 old fools running this team!

in the mean time, :nana:

OK then, judge him on his own merits. He's had 2 drafts and one FA'cy period so far. 3 opportunities to improve.

1. He took over a team that he knew had lost 4 of 5 starters, including both offensive tackles. Those 4 were replaced with 2 draft choices. He further knew that this was a team that had neglected the Oline for years.

2. In those 3 opportunities for improvement, he brought in a RT who was far past his prime and who was losing his job with his previous team. It showed on the field in 2010.

3. In his 2 drafts, he passed over 10 and 11 OT's, respectively, waiting until the 5th round and the bottom of the 4th. That is 21 OT's picked in 2 years that he apparently didn't think were good enough.

4. He's publicly talked about guys being cut by other teams making our Oline better. (a really scary statement about the status of our O-line).

The waiver wire pick ups as a means of improvement are very Donahoe-esque. The "we need to draft a DB every year" line comes right out of the Dick Jauron Book of Defensive Back Porn. He's shown no more of a commitment than his predecessors. It could probably be argued that Donahoe showed more commitment.

He has a beautiful opportunity to do something in this FA'cy period. Will he? We'll see.

Frankly, IMO, Buddy's at a show-me-the-baby stage as far as the Oline is concerned. He can tell me about the labor pains some other time...right now, he can show some form of commitment to do things different than the previous regimes.

If he brings in some solid players, I'll be happy. If he does nothing, I'll know.

OK then, judge him on his own merits. He's had 2 drafts and one FA'cy period so far. 3 opportunities to improve.

1. He took over a team that he knew had lost 4 of 5 starters, including both offensive tackles. Those 4 were replaced with 2 draft choices. He further knew that this was a team that had neglected the Oline for years.

2. In those 3 opportunities for improvement, he brought in a RT who was far past his prime and who was losing his job with his previous team. It showed on the field in 2010.

3. In his 2 drafts, he passed over 10 and 11 OT's, respectively, waiting until the 5th round and the bottom of the 4th. That is 21 OT's picked in 2 years that he apparently didn't think were good enough.

4. He's publicly talked about guys being cut by other teams making our Oline better. (a really scary statement about the status of our O-line).

The waiver wire pick ups as a means of improvement are very Donahoe-esque. The "we need to draft a DB every year" line comes right out of the Dick Jauron Book of Defensive Back Porn. He's shown no more of a commitment than his predecessors. It could probably be argued that Donahoe showed more commitment.

He has a beautiful opportunity to do something in this FA'cy period. Will he? We'll see.

Frankly, IMO, Buddy's at a show-me-the-baby stage as far as the Oline is concerned. He can tell me about the labor pains some other time...right now, he can show some form of commitment to do things different than the previous regimes.

If he brings in some solid players, I'll be happy. If he does nothing, I'll know.

For me, the real difference between being angry and frustrated with the Bills, or feeling hopeful and interested in watching and rooting for them, is whether or not the GM and Owner are committed to winning, to creating the best and strongest team, built to last, or whether it is merely about making money, and winning is only a means, used only as much as necessary, to make the most profit. It looks like the Bills have been guilty, or Mr. Wilson particularly, of merely being ruled by profit; or certainly not being motivated first and foremost by winning. Before Nix and Gailey came I was about done with the Bills under Wilson - it looked like they were, indeed, merely profiting at the expense of a fanbase that had nothing to turn to.

However, Nix looks like he knows what he is doing, and Gailey looks like he is ready to field a really competitive team, like he takes winning personal. That article today about the former coach Roach? (buffalo rumblings)and how foolishly this organization is run only mirrors what many other people have said. For me, it's about having the Bills a team that no other teams are laughing at, that teams don't want to play. I was really getting fed up with Buffalo being a laughing stock team, that wasn't run even close enough to be a winner. For me, the time is now to change that, and I think Nix has shown he wants to create a winner as he sees a team should be - but, there have been small actions that hint at a continuation of the old meddler, and this free agency period will indeed show us what the top of the team's priorities are.

Edited by sllib olaffub