Gailey makes ESPN list of Best Coaches

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&id=6712271

7. Best innovator: Chan Gailey -- Gailey hasn't had much success in Buffalo, but that's not because he lacks creativity. This is the same man who created the "Slash" role for Kordell Stewart when he was a raw quarterback hoping to find a way to contribute to the Steelers in the 1990s. (Gailey was the team's offensive coordinator at the time.)

Gailey also was running the Chiefs' offense in 2008 when injuries forced him to rely on an unproven, unheralded quarterback named Tyler Thigpen for 11 games. All Gailey did at that point was junk his more conventional offense for a spread system that played to Thigpen's strengths and enabled the quarterback to throw 18 touchdown passes against 11 interceptions.

Now Gailey is working his magic again with Buffalo quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. A backup for most of his first five seasons, Fitzpatrick threw for 3,000 yards with 23 touchdown passes and 15 interceptions in 2010. The simple truth is that no head coach is capable of doing more with less than Gailey. His problem is that he always keeps winding up with less.

Personally, I'm happier having "Best Innovator" over "Best Sense of Humor", "Best Postgame Interview", and "Best Game Face".

Go Chan!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I'm happier having "Best Innovator" over "Best Sense of Humor", "Best Postgame Interview", and "Best Game Face".

Go Chan!

That praise only speaks to his offensive coaching ability, which is excellent. As a head coach he has not been very impressive and he doesn't do himself any favors when he hires coaches like George Edwards.

My concern is that he is not a motivator and has never won anything, yet he has a tendency to blame others before himself and has a tendency to try to prod players thru the media. That might fly for Parcells, but not for a guy who hasn't proven he can win big. He expects results but he hasn't been successful enough in the past to get players to buy in unconditionally to the idea that he is doing everything possible to put them in position to succeed. I just have a suspicion that even if Nix puts the talent on the field for him he is not going to win, either because of bad assistants or a team that is tired of his approach. He will be up in front of the media, exasperated and throwing players under the bus until the team has to replace him and we are left wondering how this seemingly very talented coach just doesn't make a good head coach.

And then he will go someplace else as an OC and be very successful like so many other former Bills head coaches who were really not cut out to be head coaches in the NFL. Hope I am wrong, but that's the feeling I get from observing him last year and knowing his track record at Dallas and GA Tech.

This season's COTY Chan Gailey will be laughing when our Bills shock the football world ...

19 and 0 baby!!! :thumbsup:

"With the truth so dull and depressing, the only working alternative is wild bursts of madness and filigree." - Hunter S. Thompson

post-2970-086552900 1309402503_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

Go Chan!

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a good example of Gailey taking a career backup QB and getting enough production to be deemed acceptable in Managements eyes.

Myself personally, Chan Gaileys exceptional abilities as an innovator does not mean he should be forever limited to sub par talent at the QB position.(as mentioned by the columnist)

Edited by Fig Newton

Go Chan!

Mularkey too got all kinds of hype for Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox prior to coaching the Bills but was utterly clueless as a head coach. For me, I like a coach who actually wins games. Billichek is a complete tool. But if he's coaching your team, who cares.

Chan will get more respect as he rights this ship. Of course he'll make some errors as it is to be human but a righting he will go. Keep adding good talent for his genius mind to play with and we shall see what happens.

I think we're on our way up and I believe in Gailey. It's going to be damn exciting to see our good young talent grow into their roles. If Chan is the guy who can do more with less, then after we continue to get more talent, I'd like to see if he can do A LOT More with More.

Edited by Pilsner

I will call Coach Gailey a good coach when all this starts translating into wins.

This team's offense was orders of magnitude better with Gaily as the OC/Head Coach. I don't remember many moments on offense where I was pulling my hair out. Now, with Chris Kelsay lined up covering tight ends and wide receivers...that made me pull my hair out.

This season's COTY Chan Gailey will be laughing when our Bills shock the football world ...

19 and 0 baby!!!

F#+@ yeah, I'm with you Senator. DW will help right the defensive ship and gailey will continue to improve that offence. Optimism all the way.

I will call Coach Gailey a good coach when all this starts translating into wins.

So you discount in a big way or completely his making the playoffs both years he HC'ed the Boys (this is a big part of why as noted above Jerry Jones has publicly said he wished he had a redo in canning him, He is a good coach exactly for the reasons you state that his work in charge overall translated into wins. Even as an OC with retread Fiedler QBing the team it translated into Ws and the team made the playoffs.

Perhaps you want to simply declare that you are not gonna hop onto the bandwagon until after it begins to leave the station.

That is your right to do so. However, it makes sense to call yourself a fair weather fan at best.

Go Chan!

The Defense is much improved but the offense is still in the "less mode". If LT D. Bell, RT Pears/whoever and Spiller don't step up the Offense wont be much better than last year.

So would could he do with an athlete like Vince Young ????

The Defense is much improved but the offense is still in the "less mode". If LT D. Bell, RT Pears/whoever and Spiller don't step up the Offense wont be much better than last year.

Yeap! You hit the nail on the head. If these two breakout, we're in a good position for a play-off run. If not, same-old-same-old.

Whatever your views about Chan, it can't be ignored that more fans and media see him as a very good coach, and not one of the previous 3 clowns leading this team has earned that kind of praise since Levy retired. It's about time Buffalo got something right.

For what it's worth, I am very happy Mike Shanahan snubbed us, he doesn't look to competent without John Elway or TD running the ball. He simply hasn't done much as a coach since then.

That might fly for Parcells, but not for a guy who hasn't proven he can win big. He expects results but he hasn't been successful enough in the past to get players to buy in unconditionally to the idea that he is doing everything possible to put them in position to succeed.

You bring up a good point, but in my opinion, Buffalo is a good fit for that. Let's be honest, this team was loaded with guys who may not have had a shot to start anywhere else. The hard play last season through a tough losing streak and close games with the league's better teams is evidence of these guys buying in.

The only time I really think this becomes a problem is now. Marcell Dareus is coming in from a successful program, was highly courted and is going to get a nice chunk of cash. These guys, who are used to success, are going to need more from Gailey, like you said. They are going to want to see results, or they will be testing the FA market ASAP.

All in all, Gailey knows football and has a real feel for the offense. Hope to see improvements there this season but not as much as the Bills are in DESPERATE need of improvement on defense. Yes, I am looking at you Mr. Edwards. And I think Wannstedt might be eye humping your job. :devil: