Time to Cut Moorman

A few notables made their Buffalo debuts in 2001:

Nate Clements - gone.

Travis Henry - gone.

New uniforms - as of yesterday, gone.

Aaron Schobel - Finally. Officially. Gone.

Brian Moorman - not gone.

Ten years later, and the B-man has given some groovy times. Fans got a kick out of buying his jersey ironically. He was great for the community. And he was an all around super nice guy.

But it's been ten years. Tomorrow's new uniforms will officially usher out an era--a sad, self-destructing, playoffless era. A decade of despair.

There's but one Bill who strapped on a uniform for each and everyone of those 160 soul shattering **** bombs. Brian Moorman.

It's time we close this chapter. Slam the book shut, and throw it in the fire.

Brian Moorman has got to go.

Not just to satisfy some silly superstition, no.

He should be cut because he had a genuinely ****ty season last year AND because it would satisfy some silly superstition (and we Bills fans eat that **** up).

Besides, I'm getting tired of the nice guys and the moral victories and all that ****. I'm not saying we have to get a cop killer back there to punt the ball, but part of me thinks it would be really cool if we did.

Especially if the cop killer managed to crack the top-20 in ANY meaningful punting statistic, something Moorman failed to do in 2010.

I am so jazzed to see the new uniforms tomorrow. I love the fact that Marcel Dareus will be the first first rounder to squeeze into one. The first first rounder to don the old ones, Nate Clements.

We've ditched the backfield for the trenches. It's time we swap the nice-guy with the cop killer, or any other competent punter.

Yes, Moorman has put up some great numbers.

He's been a community icon.

He's been Mr. Reliable

But Christ. He's a punter. Are his contributions reeeeeally irreplaceable? Can we stop being so damn proud to call our punter our best player?

Which would you rather have: more of the same, or a fresh new start?

A new era begins tomorrow.

Edited by The Big Cat

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do like Moorman and think he is still pretty good. However his play has taken a HUGE hit in the last few seasons. Similar to Schobel, his wall hit like a freight train. He is in the wrong side of his career. Still, who do we replace him with? He's still better than any punter available.

eball, you beat me to the punch (but only b/c I was still sleeping at 5:53 a.m.) that it was 2002.

I'm not among those who think Moorman should be cut outright without a competent replacement for either punter or as Lindell's holder. But, owing to his declining productivity, the team should be bringing in someone who can seriously compete for the job, not just some scrub from a local U brought in as a courtesy.

Way too often last year, Moorman walked off the field flinging his chinstrap against his helmet after a shank, a botched touchback (his numbers have simply eroded in this category), etc.

Edited by UConn James

Nate Clements - gone.

Travis Henry - gone.

New uniforms - as of tomorrow, gone.

Ten years later, and the B-man has given some groovy times. Fans got a kick out of buying his jersey ironically. He was great for the community. And he was an all around super nice guy.

But it's been ten years. Tomorrow's new uniforms will officially usher out an era--a sad, self-destructing, playoffless era. A decade of despair.

There's but one Bill who strapped on a uniform for each and everyone of those 160 soul shattering **** bombs. Brian Moorman.

He should be cut because he had a genuinely ****ty season last year AND because it would satisfy some silly superstition (and we Bills fans eat that **** up).

Besides, I'm getting tired of the nice guys and the moral victories and all that ****. I'm not saying we have to get a cop killer back there to punt the ball, but part of me thinks it would be really cool if we did.Especially if the cop killer managed to crack the top-20 in ANY meaningful punting statistic, something Moorman failed to do in 2010.

I am so jazzed to see the new uniforms tomorrow. I love the fact that Marcel Dareus will be the first first rounder to squeeze into one. The first first rounder to don the old ones, Nate Clements.

We've ditched the backfield for the trenches. It's time we swap the nice-guy with the cop killer, or any other competent punter.

He's been Mr. Reliable

But Christ. He's a punter. Are his contributions reeeeeally irreplaceable? Can we stop being so damn proud to call our punter our best player? Which would you rather have: more of the same, or a fresh new start?

Yet another “if we only had better uniforms” post.

I thought you were joking about replacing all ties with players from the current uniform era.

Then I read your post and I must say it is filled with some ridiculous comments, confirming my belief to skip all uniform threads forever.

I sure hope you are kidding on Moorman.

Nate Clements - gone.

Travis Henry - gone.

New uniforms - as of tomorrow, gone.

Besides, I'm getting tired of the nice guys and the moral victories and all that ****. I'm not saying we have to get a cop killer back there to punt the ball, but part of me thinks it would be really cool if we did.

Especially if the cop killer managed to crack the top-20 in ANY meaningful punting statistic, something Moorman failed to do in 2010.

He's been Mr. Reliable

But Christ. He's a punter. Are his contributions reeeeeally irreplaceable? Can we stop being so damn proud to call our punter our best player?

Which would you rather have: more of the same, or a fresh new start?

Moorman didn't have a career year last season, but he is still a top 15 punter at very worst. Who would you replace him with? Brian Moorman, though not a top 2 or 3 punter anymore, he is far from the most important problem on this team or even close to that. As much as he has had to punt with the pathetic offenses we have had since he has been here, it is a wonder his leg hasn't fallen off yet.

Edited by billsfreak

And replace him with who?

Wait. Let me guess. "It doesn't matter. We have new uniforms. He had a bad year. Time to move on."

I suspect, though, you'll get a few people to bite, so that's something, I guess.

Your logic is dizzying. "I personally can't think of any available punters: any college graduates, free agents, Australian rules standouts, NOBODY. Therefore, no replacement can exist."

You want to cut one of the best players on our team? :thumbdown:

He's not one of the best players on our team. And if he was, HE'S A PUNTER. If you have to resort to this rationale, then how good could the team possibly be that finding a guy of a lesser caliber will seriously impede their chances?

The clown suits arrived in 2002, if I'm not mistaken -- along with Bledsoe.

Other than that -- great post. :devil:

You are correct, sir. Premise, blown. Back to the drawing board! :thumbsup:

eball, you beat me to the punch (but only b/c I was still sleeping at 5:53 a.m.) that it was 2002.

I'm not among those who think Moorman should be cut outright without a competent replacement for either punter or as Lindell's holder. But, owing to his declining productivity, the team should be bringing in someone who can seriously compete for the job, not just some scrub from a local U brought in as a courtesy.

Way too often last year, Moorman walked off the field flinging his chinstrap against his helmet after a shank, a botched touchback (his numbers have simply eroded in this category), etc.

Obviously they should have a replacement in the wings...

I think Ralph ought to make himself the punter. After all, he does own the team.

I'd pay top dollar to watch Ole Ralphy swing that leg around.

So our Pro Bowl punter had a bad season right after the best special teams coach in the NFL left... shocking. Yeah, let's cut him.

The last time Moorman made the Pro Bowl was in 2006, five years ago. Schobel made the Pro Bowl that year too. So did John Lynch. What's your point?

He should have been in the top 20 in total number of punts. :w00t:

Moorman is not a franchise punter! We will never win with that bum punting the ball. Maybe if Ralph actually invested in a line in front of Moorman he would be ok, but thats still not good enough. But because he's the best punter we have I guess that makes him "Bills good enough." The Bills will NEVER punt the ball well while Ralph owns the team. Bring in Adam Podlesh. He's a local guy, and will be a big ticket seller in the Rochester area. Knowing how bad this front office is Russ will try to sign some big name over the hill punter in free agency just to sell jerseys. Let me be the first to say, "Welcome to Buffalo Jeff Feagles." :wallbash:

It looks like Brad Maynard and/or Steve Weatherford might be available.

Also some news about former Bills flirt, Pisa Tinoisamoa.

http://www.csnchicago.com/06/23/11/Maynards-Bears-days-numbered/landing.html?blockID=537061&feedID=3769

Guy who wrote that piece gave me some great Dickie J intel back in the day. Super nice guy!

BTW, Brad Maynard is the punter most people on this board seem think Moorman is.