Turn out the lights, the party's over

major

Willie Nelson once sang this famous line: "Turn out the lights the party's over, they say that all good things must end".

I am fully prepared for no NFL this season. Truthfully, maybe the NFL needs to fail. If there is no season, I look forward to the gimmicks the owners will pull in the 2012 season to get us back to the stadiums (free jerseys for the first 1,000 people at the stadium, $10 seat days, all those 65 and over get in free, free autograph sessions with all players (past and present) immediately following the game (on the field), dollar hot dog day, winning text gets free pro-bowl tickets, dollar beer day, buy one ticket get one free day, all school age children get in free day, etc...).

Did I leave any gimmicks out? Oh yeah, maybe they'll allow NFL players to use steroids like the MLB did in the 1990's, to get butts in seats.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Truthfully, maybe the NFL needs to fail.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It is the best thing that can happen... If nobody is gonna look out for the best interest of the fans (lower the costs of everything)... Tear it down and build it new... Why polish a turd, the fans will just get !@#$ed in the end.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

It is the best thing that can happen... If nobody is gonna look out for the best interest of the fans (lower the costs of everything)... Tear it down and build it new... Why polish a turd, the fans will just get !@#$ed in the end.

of course this worked for baseball. oh, wait ... :blink:

jw

When has any league looked out for the fans?

Willie Nelson once sang this famous line: "Turn out the lights the party's over, they say that all good things must end".

I am fully prepared for no NFL this season. Truthfully, maybe the NFL needs to fail. If there is no season, I look forward to the gimmicks the owners will pull in the 2012 season to get us back to the stadiums (free jerseys for the first 1,000 people at the stadium, $10 seat days, all those 65 and over get in free, free autograph sessions with all players (past and present) immediately following the game (on the field), dollar hot dog day, winning text gets free pro-bowl tickets, dollar beer day, buy one ticket get one free day, all school age children get in free day, etc...).

Did I leave any gimmicks out? Oh yeah, maybe they'll allow NFL players to use steroids like the MLB did in the 1990's, to get butts in seats.

And watch what? Dancing Girls?

of course this worked for baseball. oh, wait ... :blink:

jw

Baseball's a dying sport and the lockout had little to do with getting people back. It's economic model has doomed that sport not their strike year. That's pretty easy to see at the youth level where kids could mostly care less about baseball anymore.

Baseball's a dying sport and the lockout had little to do with getting people back. It's economic model has doomed that sport not their strike year. That's pretty easy to see at the youth level where kids could mostly care less about baseball anymore.

But...But...I still see parents fighting our a neighborhood little-league game...and depriving other kids a chance to play and enjoy the game...Baseball is also dying because parents are taking it way too seriously when 8 and 9 year olds are told to think that winning is the only thing.

Tear it down and build it new... Why polish a turd, the fans will just get !@#$ed in the end.

Polish a turd? :blink:

The most successful Sports League in the History of mankind is a turd?...Prices are not going down either...Re-build or not...It's not going to happen...It does not happen in any other industry basically...Why would it happen in the NFL?...Both sides know what is at stake here...They may heat it up a bit...But they're not going to cook the golden goose... B-)

When has any league looked out for the fans?

When they come to an agreement and say "We want our fans to enjoy this great game, so we worked this out for them."

But...But...I still see parents fighting our a neighborhood little-league game...and depriving other kids a chance to play and enjoy the game...Baseball is also dying because parents are taking it way too seriously when 8 and 9 year olds are told to think that winning is the only thing.

In that same vein, pretty much any other sport is dying. It's our society that's the problem - parents either want the kids to just win or develop themselves into a great player so they can play professionally and make tons of money.

I don't see it first hand, but from what my friends and co-workers tell me, it's much worse than when I was a kid in the late 70s & early 80s.

Edited by BuffaloWings

I think it's hurting our kids because we won't tell them about winning. My son is in a 7-8 yr old machine pitch league and they don't keep score so the kids who lose won't feel bad. Your point is taken about the parents, but I see nothing wrong with teaching kids 8 and 9 about winning and losing. Lot of good lessons can be taught through it that build our kids.

Edited by Triple Threat

topless cheerleaders, i would drive from N.H to see games

I think it's hurting our kids because we won't tell them about winning. My son is in a 7-8 yr old machine pitch league and they don't keep score so the kids who lose won't feel bad. Your point is taken about the parents, but I see nothing wrong with teaching kids 8 and 9 about winning and losing. Lot of good lessons can be taught through it that build our kids.

I would argue that by not teaching them about winning and losing, at an age where they can certainly handle it, we are conditioning them to lose for the rest of their lives. I could be totally wrong as I do not have kids, and no woman has been able to prove otherwise in a court of law, but it seems to me that the "Everyone Wins Again" mentality for raising children is just another step in the overall pussification of America. This great Feelings Factory of ours continues to pump out generations of fragile kids who are aggressively mediocre and proud of it, because its OK to suck, and its someone else's fault that they're a loser and they should probably sue.

Upon closer inspection, perhaps its good that I don't have children.

Anyway, don't be surprised if the owners and players do "cook the golden goose" in the end. Many of us say it could never happen given how much is at stake, but both sides have known all along how much they have to lose and it hasn't brought them any closer to an agreement. When egos get involved and the debate ceases to be about the business of football and becomes a personal crusade for what is right, anything, no matter how foolish, is totally possible.

Could not agree with you more. I help coach my sons 7-8 year old team & it is disgusting how they try to make it as non competitive as possible. Every kid has got to rotate position. Well you know what some of these kids stink & they are not made to play shortstop or first base. & it is the parents of the kids that stink that give you the most problems as a coach. I feel like telling them, well maybe if you got off facebook for a few hours a day & threw away your smart phone & stopped the texting you would have time to pick up a god dam glove & throw a few balls with your kids in your backyard when you got home from work. I am sorry but when you are 7-8 years old you should know how to throw a baseball at least. We got 2 kids on the team that do not even know how to do that. & what is this pitching machine anyways. Teach the kids how to pitch the friggin ball. They get in the 9-10 yr old league & half these kids could not hit the broad side of a barn. Then they wonder why the games take 3 hours to play. It sounds tough I know but they are not helping these kids in the long run by babying them & making sure "everybody feels like a winner". I remember when I was that age & I pitched if I walked one or 2 guys a game my dad got all over my ass. Now I watch these kids that have no business pitching walk 8-9 guys in a row! The whole thing has gotten me sick. I feel bad for kids like my son. I have to tell him to lob the ball over to the first baseman because I am scared he is going to hurt the kid because these kids can not even catch a ball. Ah, what are you going to do I guess.

I hope you're wrong about this. I told my son if he stayed on the honor roll all year I'd take him to his first Bills game in the fall. Well he's two weeks away from making that happen and I really hope he doesn't miss his first Bills game because of this nonsense.

Could not agree with you more. I help coach my sons 7-8 year old team & it is disgusting how they try to make it as non competitive as possible. Every kid has got to rotate position. Well you know what some of these kids stink & they are not made to play shortstop or first base. & it is the parents of the kids that stink that give you the most problems as a coach. I feel like telling them, well maybe if you got off facebook for a few hours a day & threw away your smart phone & stopped the texting you would have time to pick up a god dam glove & throw a few balls with your kids in your backyard when you got home from work. I am sorry but when you are 7-8 years old you should know how to throw a baseball at least. We got 2 kids on the team that do not even know how to do that. & what is this pitching machine anyways. Teach the kids how to pitch the friggin ball. They get in the 9-10 yr old league & half these kids could not hit the broad side of a barn. Then they wonder why the games take 3 hours to play. It sounds tough I know but they are not helping these kids in the long run by babying them & making sure "everybody feels like a winner". I remember when I was that age & I pitched if I walked one or 2 guys a game my dad got all over my ass. Now I watch these kids that have no business pitching walk 8-9 guys in a row! The whole thing has gotten me sick. I feel bad for kids like my son. I have to tell him to lob the ball over to the first baseman because I am scared he is going to hurt the kid because these kids can not even catch a ball. Ah, what are you going to do I guess.

I understand what you are getting at here, but in all honesty, most of you guys don't understand what you are participating in. That's the problem. A rec league is just that.......a rec league. People need to understand that. You will have kids of all skill levels playing in a REC league. It's for fun. Some kids are good, most are average, and a bunch are horrible. Some want to be there, most could care less and think the playground is actually more fun, and a bunch of them have no interest in even being out there. That's called a rec league.

Most of you who B word and whine about being around kids in a rec league need to play travel baseball or AAU if you want heavy competition at an early level. That's about the only way you are going to get it, unless your kid can play out a rec league and make it to all stars (which is usually a joke also).

Rec is rec. Higher level play at baseball academies or travel ball or AAU is unfortunately the way you have to go nowadays. That's also what is helping to kill the sport. Baseball is becoming a rich kids sport. Quickly. Getting your kids out of rec programs an into travel programs is a tremendous cost. Bats are way too expensive. Etc, etc, etc. But, unfortunately, for baseball, it's becoming an upper middle class suburban sport. And even at that, it's not all that popular.

Baseball is declining big time. Other sports aren't. I do this for a living and have easily backed that up with numbers for the last ten years. People continue to turn the other way and act like it's not happening, but it is. A lot of high schools in the inner cities don't even field teams anymore, and if they do, they get their heads kicked in by the teams in the burbs 20-0. And those schools without teams are slowly creeping toward the suburbs.

It's a shame.

I understand what you are getting at here, but in all honesty, most of you guys don't understand what you are participating in. That's the problem. A rec league is just that.......a rec league. People need to understand that. You will have kids of all skill levels playing in a REC league. It's for fun. Some kids are good, most are average, and a bunch are horrible. Some want to be there, most could care less and think the playground is actually more fun, and a bunch of them have no interest in even being out there. That's called a rec league.

Most of you who B word and whine about being around kids in a rec league need to play travel baseball or AAU if you want heavy competition at an early level. That's about the only way you are going to get it, unless your kid can play out a rec league and make it to all stars (which is usually a joke also).

Rec is rec. Higher level play at baseball academies or travel ball or AAU is unfortunately the way you have to go nowadays. That's also what is helping to kill the sport. Baseball is becoming a rich kids sport. Quickly. Getting your kids out of rec programs an into travel programs is a tremendous cost. Bats are way too expensive. Etc, etc, etc. But, unfortunately, for baseball, it's becoming an upper middle class suburban sport. And even at that, it's not all that popular.

Baseball is declining big time. Other sports aren't. I do this for a living and have easily backed that up with numbers for the last ten years. People continue to turn the other way and act like it's not happening, but it is. A lot of high schools in the inner cities don't even field teams anymore, and if they do, they get their heads kicked in by the teams in the burbs 20-0. And those schools without teams are slowly creeping toward the suburbs.

It's a shame.

You make alot of sense. I guess I do got to step back & take it for what it is worth. See , I guess my son is a rare breed. All he wants to do is play sports & loves baseball. This did not come by accident as we were playing wiffle ball games when he was 2 years old. I guess all kids are not wired like that nor can I expect them to be. But it does get frustrating on the coaching aspect of it. The league he is in though does not offer travel league until he is 9 years old so he has to wait 2 more years.

You make alot of sense. I guess I do got to step back & take it for what it is worth. See , I guess my son is a rare breed. All he wants to do is play sports & loves baseball. This did not come by accident as we were playing wiffle ball games when he was 2 years old. I guess all kids are not wired like that nor can I expect them to be. But it does get frustrating on the coaching aspect of it. The league he is in though does not offer travel league until he is 9 years old so he has to wait 2 more years.

Believe me, I feel your pain. I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it. It's unfortunately the way it is nowadays. And then once you play travel ball or AAU, there comes a whole different set of money and ripoff problems.

Neverending cycle!!!

What happened to Little League? Did it go out of business? Before that I remember playing in a league that had fields that progressively got bigger and the kids pitched. Lots of walks, but just as many strikeouts.