I think OT Hairston is going to be a player

I think that the makeup of a RT in the NFL has changed a bit as time has gone on......when you think RT you think a guy who is not mobile enough to play the LT side but is a mauler in the run game.....

But the way defenses are moving people all over the place nowadays that RT guy has to be pretty mobile now as well

Hairston is a OT with LT feet and ability......its just that he plays at like 335 pounds and so drafniks thinks he is better for the RT side.

I personally am just fine with Bell on the LT side........I think he is coming along nicely (some dont agree here thats fine). His first offseason where he has been 100 percent healthy in 2 years.....hopefully Bell is in the weight room getting stronger for the running game.

back to Hairston.....he is a load and very long arms to go with the LT feet......I think we have our right tackle.

The Bills have so many intriguing prospects whether they be rookies, 2nd or 3rd year players. If 1/2 to 2/3 of them pan out, we'll be in good shape 2-3 years from now. It's impossible to predict which ones will and which ones won't. That being said, I think the Bills offensive line is in really good shape over that time period. I think we have our line for the next five years on our roster right now. If you play the odds, you gotta figure between Urbik, Hairston and Wang, one of them will in fact pan out. If that happens and Bell, Levitre and Wood continue to develop, we'll be in great shape.

I think that the makeup of a RT in the NFL has changed a bit as time has gone on......when you think RT you think a guy who is not mobile enough to play the LT side but is a mauler in the run game.....

But the way defenses are moving people all over the place nowadays that RT guy has to be pretty mobile now as well

Hairston is a OT with LT feet and ability......its just that he plays at like 335 pounds and so drafniks thinks he is better for the RT side.

I personally am just fine with Bell on the LT side........I think he is coming along nicely (some dont agree here thats fine). His first offseason where he has been 100 percent healthy in 2 years.....hopefully Bell is in the weight room getting stronger for the running game.

back to Hairston.....he is a load and very long arms to go with the LT feet......I think we have our right tackle.

I hope you right... that RT spot has been a revolving door of disappointing play for a while now.

I think Wood has convinced Gailey that he can anchor the line better than Hangartner, but most folks have picked up on that...though Hang can backup the interior positions and would be worth retaining with our O-line injury history. Levitre was solid at LG, he is starting to play lower with more leverage and that "bend" that coaches look for...that was one of the things I didn't like about his rookie season play.

I agree with you on Bell, and yeah I don't think it's a popular opinion. Coming off of knee surgery and toughing it out all year, we certainly have not seen the ceiling on what this kid can do. If he stays healthy and builds some more strength and stamina he could develop into a top-flight LT. He has all the raw tools that are pretty hard to find.

And there are those who though James Hardy was going to be a great posession receiver, Mike Williams a bookend OT, Shawn Nelson a receiving threat, and Aaron Maybin a dynamic pass rusher. :oops: Let's wait and see what happens after Hairston goes up against NFL competition before we make any assumptions before we project a guy solely based on his physical stature.

I view Hairston as more of Brad Butler type player.....

Big Mike was weak minded

James Hardy may have ended up being a player......but was set back by an injury that he recovered from too late

Nelson actually looked like we had something that first year.....I think the migrane headaches are more of a concern then most know

And Aaron Maybin....damn. Just dont know what to say there. And I admit it and will continue to....I LOVED the Aaron Maybin pick.

Its the ticker with all these guys......I dont think that Buddy Nix is gonna draft a player that doesn't have it where it counts the most.

And there are those who though James Hardy was going to be a great posession receiver, Mike Williams a bookend OT, Shawn Nelson a receiving threat, and Aaron Maybin a dynamic pass rusher. :oops: Let's wait and see what happens after Hairston goes up against NFL competition before we make any assumptions before we project a guy solely based on his physical stature.

Of those, only Nelson was a surprise - and the jury is still out, though hope is fading. I really thought we had our receiving tight end who could develop into a marginally competent blocker. Too bad for Everett with the spinal injury he was just starting to get onto the field - we have some of the worst luck with our TEs... now Nelson has migraines. I would just blow that off, but the Vikings Percy Harvin looks like an all star when he is playing yet migraines have sidelined him as well. I don't have them so I don't understand how debilitating they can be. I will assume pretty bad if they jeopardize your sport career. Since we can't seem to develop our own TEs Nix should just go after a FA like Boss, Miller, or Scaife.

Hardy I never thought he played as big as he could and caught with his body rather than his hands - never a good combo when you are supposed to be a big possession type receiver with average speed that is supposed to out-jump and out-position smaller corners for the ball.

Mike's weight and work ethic were question marks when he was drafted - In 2002 I liked McKinnie and to be honest he has been nothing but headaches and disappointment for the Vikes, but at least they got some miles out of the pick. Mike ate himself from the LT to the RT position from the get go, then from the RT to the injured list, from the injured list to the streets.

Aaron Maybin had only one decent year at Penn against sub-par competition and there was not that body of consistent college work to justify his high-draft status. His lengthy holdout did nothing to help his reputation either. He has one more camp to push for a job, or he will finally get the sack he has never produced in a game. Nix did not make the same mistake with Dareus.

For a fourth round pick Hairston was worth a gamble. The book on him is that he has a nasty streak that scouts and the new Bills FO like, and he seems to stay with his blocks and could be the best pass blocking RT we have had for a while. Don't know how well he will do trying to move folks in the running game and some scouting reports said that he also needs to grow up a bit and play with some more discipline and stamina.

Watching clips of him(wish there were more) it looks like he has good feet and technique for a 336 pound lineman. In the few clips that I have watched he doesn't look strong, he has that soft-roundness to his middle and his legs look like they belong on a smaller human, but at the combine he was only second to Syracuse's Bartholomew in the bench press drill for Offensive Linemen. He could just be one of those big baby-faced guys who is naturally strong, but doesn't work the gym that much - that will change at the pro level, but it is not a bad thing to already be strong even if you don't look it. How does that saying go? There are plenty of NFL players who are "built like Tarzan yet play like Jane". He could push for a role at our RT spot considering where the bar is currently set - low.

The more I read about this kid, the more I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. Big, good feet and pass protector, strong, mean streak, smart. Looks like he needs to work on run blocking, but seems like a player who should develop.

Hopefully I really thought that the Bills should have spent a higher pick on a RT. If they got a stud in the early 4th AND Dareus, Williams, and Sheppard pan out on the defense this draft could be gang busters. But its hard to get a great impact guy in those mid rounds.

Hopefully I really thought that the Bills should have spent a higher pick on a RT. If they got a stud in the early 4th AND Dareus, Williams, and Sheppard pan out on the defense this draft could be gang busters. But its hard to get a great impact guy in those mid rounds.

I'm just glad the Bills went for (in their minds) the highest value players when their picks came up instead of reaching for a need. I have hope for this big lug Hairston. I luv that he has a mean streak. No teddy bears allowed on our O-line. If we get lucky and he can become a House I'll be excited. If he becomes a Condo, I'll be ok with that.

Also it seems like Hairston takes a lot of pride in his pass blocking. We seem to be getting new players on our team who take quite a lot of pride in doing things right. He seems to fit the new mold on our team. Tough, intelligent, driven, big and strong. I hope he pans out.

Edited by Pilsner

More than a few productive OL come from the mid-rounds. Again, Hairston has all the things you want in an OT (could stand to be a better run-blocker) and went against some quality competition in college.

More than a few productive OL come from the mid-rounds. Again, Hairston has all the things you want in an OT (could stand to be a better run-blocker) and went against some quality competition in college.

A lot of lineman drafted in rounds 4-5 tend to mostly be productive backups. Yeah starters emerge from those rounds but that's more so the exception to the rule rather than what usually happens. I hate to think that even if Hariston is just a capable backup thats still good value for a late 4th rounder.

Or we can just move Bell to RT and get an elite LT. That would be the best solution.

Yes because D. Bell would immediately be the best RT on the team (except it doesn't work that way) or perhaps because it is so easy to find legit LT prospects?

D. Bell is the most athletic OT we have.....why should we move him from LT when he is getting better by leaps and bounds every year? People keep on forgetting that the kid didn't even play organized football till much later then most football players.

I thought he weakened down the stretch last year......but lets not forget that the guy wasn't even 100 percent to start off the season.

Couldn't even do full practices till well into the season

Yet despite that....still shut down some pretty well know pass rushers last year from the LT spot

Why dont we let D. Bell just continue to grow into that spot and get a RT beast for the other side (but we may have already done that with Hairston)

Yes because D. Bell would immediately be the best RT on the team (except it doesn't work that way) or perhaps because it is so easy to find legit LT prospects?

D. Bell is the most athletic OT we have.....why should we move him from LT when he is getting better by leaps and bounds every year? People keep on forgetting that the kid didn't even play organized football till much later then most football players.

I thought he weakened down the stretch last year......but lets not forget that the guy wasn't even 100 percent to start off the season.

Couldn't even do full practices till well into the season

Yet despite that....still shut down some pretty well know pass rushers last year from the LT spot

Why dont we let D. Bell just continue to grow into that spot and get a RT beast for the other side (but we may have already done that with Hairston)

D.Bell's strength is his pass protection. He is agile and light on his feet. The guy is some giant monster road grader that projects better as a RT. Bell isn't a monster run blocker and is a good pass blocker I don't understand this obsession some have with making him a RT his skill set if far better suited to the blind side.

Niether do I! But what I've been thinking about is the developement of these rookies. When drafted, the Bills knew the type of player they were getting. I really feel a lot is riding on this coaching staff to develope Hairston and all the rookies.

It was an excellent draft imo, but the coaching staff really needs to bring out the potential they see in these kids.

Don't know about you guys, but my eyes are on the coaches!!

THE NATION RISES!!

He's still a bit raw but has some nice traits for a guys his size. I agree with the Bills scout who said they view him as more of a straight line guy…

For those that like to watch these things, here's a few more snaps of Hairston (#61) against North Carolina last year.

It's a message board. You know, a place where people like to talk about the bills and share their opinions.

Or maybe you don't know.

Breakdown of where NFL starting OL are drafted.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/03/nfls-starting-offensive-linemen-drafted/

2010 NFL Starting Offensive Linemen By Round

Round. LT. LG. C. RG. RT

1 16 6 4 4 8

2 6 5 6 6 6

3 1 3 5 2 6

4 2 5 2 3 3

5 3 2 3 6 1

6 1 2 5 0 2

7 1 2 3 1 1

Undrafted 2 7 4 10 5

Edited by NewEra

I am really hopeful that Hairston can be the guy on the right! He seems to have the intangibles needed for success when you watch the game video's and read about his attitude towards the game.

The truth is, I don't think our OL is as bad as many "fans" say it is. Wood and Levitre are both solid players. Wood should be our center for years to come and Levitre keeps learning and getting better (Get really tired of the whiners who point out his weaknesses as a rookie starter as if rookies can't make any mistakes on the field.). Speaking of rookies, Howard seemed to keep improving the more he was on the field. He seems to be ready to add some push out of the RG spot. Hangartner gives us a solid reserve for all three line spots if Wood is moved to center. Wrotto also seems very capable of fitting in as needed in Gailey's offense.

If it is not Hairston at RT then we have Pears who the coaching staff seem really high on plus Wang who remains a mystery could be ready to compete for playing time.

Finally, I feel good about our LT situation. The attacks on Bell continue to confound me because coming off a devastating injury in only his second year of playing he did a decent job of protecting the QB without making any stupid penalties. According to Pro Football Weekly, Bell gave up 5.25 sacks last year and had only five penalties (four false starts and one holding) while playing all 16 games.Bell 2010 stats

Here are the Pro Football Weekly statistics for BLEACHER REPORT's top ten LT's in the league going into the 2010 season, top ten LT's going into 2010: Matt Light of NE gave up 10 sacks and had 3 holding penalties with 1 false start. In 12 games, David Diehl of the NY Giants gave up 7 1/2 sacks and had one holding penalty with one false start. Tennesee's Michael Roos gave up 10 sacks with one holding and one false start penalty over 16 games. The Colts Charlie Johnson game up 4 1/2 sacks with no penalties through the 15 games he played last year. Our "favorite" Eagle, Jason Peters played 13 games giving up 2 sacks while having 3 false starts and 3 holding penatlies. D'Brickashaw Ferguson played 16 games allowed 2 sacks while also being penalized five times, he was caught holding 2 times and was flagged for 3 false start penalties. The Browns' Pro Bowler, Joe Thomas allowed 4 1/2 sacks in his 16 games and was penalized once for both holding and a false start. The Fish's Pro Bowl LT, Jake Long allowed Dolphin quarterbacks to be sacked 6 times and he was penalized 4 times each for holding and false starts. And, Bleacher Reports #1 LT, Ryan Clady of the Bronco's opened the door for 7 sacks in the 2010 season while also being penalized twice each for holding and false starts.

* Jared Gaither, the #5 LT according to Bleacher Reports did not play in 2010.

So, when you match up Bell ... although I don't make any claims that he is a top ten LT ... it sure looks like he had a better season than most people on this board claim. And, Jackson seemed to have success running behind Bell and Levitre too.

For the glass half empty types who thrive on 'dissing' every Bill they can ... go outside and take a deep breath of fresh air. The signs are looking good for this team ... we have young players with character some of whom are now reaching the beginning of their effective playing years after learning what it takes to play in the NFL. Gailey's offensive mind is going to continue to help this team, having Fitz as the starter from Day One, our receiving corps (please, oh please ... sign a tight end who can do something with the ball after catching it or who is a bulldozer blocker) excites me with the exception of the tight end, Jackson is a top NFL back and I think Gailey is going to figure out Spiller, and our defense is going to get the ball back to the offense more effectively this year. You have to be excited ... now, we just have to have some football player!

I am really hopeful that Hairston can be the guy on the right! He seems to have the intangibles needed for success when you watch the game video's and read about his attitude towards the game.

The truth is, I don't think our OL is as bad as many "fans" say it is. Wood and Levitre are both solid players. Wood should be our center for years to come and Levitre keeps learning and getting better (Get really tired of the whiners who point out his weaknesses as a rookie starter as if rookies can't make any mistakes on the field.). Speaking of rookies, Howard seemed to keep improving the more he was on the field. He seems to be ready to add some push out of the RG spot. Hangartner gives us a solid reserve for all three line spots if Wood is moved to center. Wrotto also seems very capable of fitting in as needed in Gailey's offense.

If it is not Hairston at RT then we have Pears who the coaching staff seem really high on plus Wang who remains a mystery could be ready to compete for playing time.

Finally, I feel good about our LT situation. The attacks on Bell continue to confound me because coming off a devastating injury in only his second year of playing he did a decent job of protecting the QB without making any stupid penalties. According to Pro Football Weekly, Bell gave up 5.25 sacks last year and had only five penalties (four false starts and one holding) while playing all 16 games.Bell 2010 stats

Here are the Pro Football Weekly statistics for BLEACHER REPORT's top ten LT's in the league going into the 2010 season, top ten LT's going into 2010: Matt Light of NE gave up 10 sacks and had 3 holding penalties with 1 false start. In 12 games, David Diehl of the NY Giants gave up 7 1/2 sacks and had one holding penalty with one false start. Tennesee's Michael Roos gave up 10 sacks with one holding and one false start penalty over 16 games. The Colts Charlie Johnson game up 4 1/2 sacks with no penalties through the 15 games he played last year. Our "favorite" Eagle, Jason Peters played 13 games giving up 2 sacks while having 3 false starts and 3 holding penatlies. D'Brickashaw Ferguson played 16 games allowed 2 sacks while also being penalized five times, he was caught holding 2 times and was flagged for 3 false start penalties. The Browns' Pro Bowler, Joe Thomas allowed 4 1/2 sacks in his 16 games and was penalized once for both holding and a false start. The Fish's Pro Bowl LT, Jake Long allowed Dolphin quarterbacks to be sacked 6 times and he was penalized 4 times each for holding and false starts. And, Bleacher Reports #1 LT, Ryan Clady of the Bronco's opened the door for 7 sacks in the 2010 season while also being penalized twice each for holding and false starts.

* Jared Gaither, the #5 LT according to Bleacher Reports did not play in 2010.

So, when you match up Bell ... although I don't make any claims that he is a top ten LT ... it sure looks like he had a better season than most people on this board claim. And, Jackson seemed to have success running behind Bell and Levitre too.

For the glass half empty types who thrive on 'dissing' every Bill they can ... go outside and take a deep breath of fresh air. The signs are looking good for this team ... we have young players with character some of whom are now reaching the beginning of their effective playing years after learning what it takes to play in the NFL. Gailey's offensive mind is going to continue to help this team, having Fitz as the starter from Day One, our receiving corps (please, oh please ... sign a tight end who can do something with the ball after catching it or who is a bulldozer blocker) excites me with the exception of the tight end, Jackson is a top NFL back and I think Gailey is going to figure out Spiller, and our defense is going to get the ball back to the offense more effectively this year. You have to be excited ... now, we just have to have some football player!

It is fantastic that you think that the Bills have a good offensive line. Congrats! :thumbsup:

In reality, it is sub-par, and this was known coming into the draft. The problem was our front 7 was also about as bad, and this draft lent itself toward defense more than offense.

Levitre looks good. Wood is totally unproven due to injuries but one thing he has not provided is the push one would expect from a first round guard. It's nice to think of Bell as a good LT, but he is small and weak until he proves otherwise. That's about it.

Levy/Jauron destroyed this football team. Other than the ridiculous selection of Spiller, it appears that Nix knows this. Free agent signings such as Jeremy Trueblood and Kevin Boss would serve to transform this team into one that is strong offensively. But as we speak, this offense is weak and ineffective up front, no matter how you want to spin it.

Edited by Bill from NYC

The man went up against the best!

“I did a great job coming along throughout my career,” [Hairston] said. “I was able to go against great defensive ends. My freshman year we had Gaines Adams there. I went against our scout team and we had Da’Quan Bowers come in, played a few years with him. We had Ricky Sapp, I went against him my freshman year, so that’s something that really came along. And I had to in order to survive in team drills, one-on-ones and team pass and all that.”

Chris, now you get "D"-Are-Us and Kyle Williams.