Aaron Maybin

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/5/19/2179137/aaron-maybin-buffalo-bills

Like everyone else, I've been very critical about Maybin, but the BR story might shed some light on Maybin's poor season last year: "Maybin is a favorite punching bag of Bills fans, but it's not as if he's had it easy. Reportedly, he was dealing with the sudden death of an infant son just two weeks prior to the start of training camp last summer. In two years, he's played two different positions in two different defensive schemes (though for the same position coach). He's fighting the stigma of being a draft bust despite being just 23 years old; only six of his Bills teammates (including five rookies) are younger.

Yet his lack of impact - which goes beyond the realm of statistics to the point where he's not even providing much competition for playing time alongside players just as young and inexperienced - understandably sucks a lot of the compassion out of Maybin's story (aside from the death of his son, of course). Our question for you this morning: knowing that he's under contract for at least three more seasons, would 2011 be too soon to give up on the Maybin project?"

That’s horrible news about Maybin’s son. I’m sure that played a huge factor with Maybin last year as part of his mental focus and preparation for the games. Losing someone very close to you, takes a lot out of you for a long time.

IMO, with a beefed up front 7 (on defense), and with the opposing offense double-teaming guys like Kyle Willams and Marcell Dareus, this could give Maybin a clear shot at the QB. With Maybin’s speed, he would be able to close in on the QB very quickly. While Maybin does appear to be a bust at the moment, I do hope he improves and can be effective, otherwise he would just be another wasted 1st round draft pick. Maybin has the physical talent, but he really needs to develop as a player, hopefully Dave Wannstedt will help him develop.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/5/19/2179137/aaron-maybin-buffalo-bills

Like everyone else, I've been very critical about Maybin, but the BR story might shed some light on Maybin's poor season last year: "Maybin is a favorite punching bag of Bills fans, but it's not as if he's had it easy. Reportedly, he was dealing with the sudden death of an infant son just two weeks prior to the start of training camp last summer. In two years, he's played two different positions in two different defensive schemes (though for the same position coach). He's fighting the stigma of being a draft bust despite being just 23 years old; only six of his Bills teammates (including five rookies) are younger.

Yet his lack of impact - which goes beyond the realm of statistics to the point where he's not even providing much competition for playing time alongside players just as young and inexperienced - understandably sucks a lot of the compassion out of Maybin's story (aside from the death of his son, of course). Our question for you this morning: knowing that he's under contract for at least three more seasons, would 2011 be too soon to give up on the Maybin project?"

That’s horrible news about Maybin’s son. I’m sure that played a huge factor with Maybin last year as part of his mental focus and preparation for the games. Losing someone very close to you, takes a lot out of you for a long time.

IMO, with a beefed up front 7 (on defense), and with the opposing offense double-teaming guys like Kyle Willams and Marcell Dareus, this could give Maybin a clear shot at the QB. With Maybin’s speed, he would be able to close in on the QB very quickly. While Maybin does appear to be a bust at the moment, I do hope he improves and can be effective, otherwise he would just be another wasted 1st round draft pick. Maybin has the physical talent, but he really needs to develop as a player, hopefully Dave Wannstedt will help him develop.

Amen, well stated.

As a PSU graduate and Bills fan, I still hope Maybin can start to produce this season. Very sad news about his son. If he can't get it together though, I can't say I would have a problem with him being cut. I could go in in detail but it's been covered pretty well here on the board.

Horrible news about his son, I couldn't take that myself. I feel that a player's ability on the field is what's relevant to this team, not how he feels. If you cannot perform for any one reason, it's your fault. Production is the key to success & we have sucked on defense for years with last year it all coming to a head. You can also see how we drafted for this large need, so I would expect wholesale changes on the defense.

I am rooting for the Bills, not Maybin individually. I wish him luck & hope he helps our team.

Edited by Scrappy

I never knew that about his infant son. No wonder he was not given many opportunities. Hope he is able to get on the field and do something now.

Maybin has had plenty of opportunities. The problem is he is just not very good. He is the guy that could run really fast & jump really high but has absolutely no football ability at all. I am sorry about his son but I would be very surprised if he makes it out of camp this year.

He is now closer to the age where he should have been drafted.

A young man's body can change a lot of 20 to 23.

He is still young. Who knows.

Even if he somehow turns it around before he becomes a free agent it will always be a horrible pick. He is not special enough to spend two years waiting around and developing. Orakpo was the no brainer at that point in the draft. You could have let some other team wait on Maybin we needed an impact player 2 season ago.

Thats sad news about his child though. Maybe I'll lay off him a bit.

Now that we have many of the holes filled on defense, or appear to be filled if the rookies can perform. I don't have to worry about Maybin.

I've already written him off, it'd be more of nice to have if he turns it around.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Well I'm pulling for him. Hopefully it all comes together for him. But I will ask this. Who is or was responsible for his developement?

After seeing he didn't exactly live up to the pick, who worked with him? If he was drafted by the Steelers would he show different results? I just wonder.

That's why I believe a lot of the rookies developement depends on our coaching staff. Guess we will see. JMO

And yet..........THE NATION RISES!!

From what all of us have probably heard from Gailey in the news , it's going to take some serious convincing to the coaching staff to even get Maybin on the field during the season this year. A lot of it depends on how he's going to perform in Practice. Some people just can't play the game in a pro environment(Ex:JP LOSMAN) and even with new coaching (Dave W) they just don't have the vision. I just think Maybin had a great year in college against college players got to the pros drafted way ahead of where he should have gone and was tossed around like a ragdoll against professional lineman that had 60 lbs on him on avg. Speed only goes so far..

Well I'm pulling for him. Hopefully it all comes together for him. But I will ask this. Who is or was responsible for his developement?

After seeing he didn't exactly live up to the pick, who worked with him? If he was drafted by the Steelers would he show different results? I just wonder.

That's why I believe a lot of the rookies developement depends on our coaching staff. Guess we will see. JMO

And yet..........THE NATION RISES!!

There are new people incharge of Pro personnel and they report to Doug Whaley who comes from the 'Burgh so no FO witch hunt is needed.

Don't forget Harrison was cut a few times by the 'Burgh before he became somebody. I don't think Maybin is a case of the Bills not developing him sometimes its up to the individual (and HGH.)

Maybin has had plenty of opportunities. The problem is he is just not very good. He is the guy that could run really fast & jump really high but has absolutely no football ability at all. I am sorry about his son but I would be very surprised if he makes it out of camp this year.

I have similar sentiments, but he does have some strong athletic attributes. he will get a chance to make the team- lets not prematurely cut him. That serves no purpose.

There are new people incharge of Pro personnel and they report to Doug Whaley who comes from the 'Burgh so no FO witch hunt is needed.

Don't forget Harrison was cut a few times by the 'Burgh before he became somebody. I don't think Maybin is a case of the Bills not developing him sometimes its up to the individual (and HGH.)

Good point about Harrison. I like Maybin's chances. Wanny is a great coach, and the upgraded front 7 could open holes for him. If he is unblocked and can get a clear shot at at QB, watch out. He needs to get bigger though to shed blocks, which he should since he is now 23.

The reality is that the coaches know best - he has bust written all over him at this point - ESPN did a piece recently on DE's converting to LB's and the point of the article is that very few do so successfully. Odds are that Maybin will not make the transition and will go down as a huge bust.

I am just hoping that whatever is best for the Bills is what happens. As far as the our front 7 could leave him unblocked with a free shot at the QB idea, wouldn't just about anyone be an all pro if they had a clean look at the QB on a consistent basis?

Edited by 5 Wide

I think there are certain defensive looks that can incorporate someone like Maybin. He could play Joker. It's a linebacker position that Von Miller had some success with in college. Wannstedt will be able to see if he can get something out of him(not really holding my breath waiting for that to happen, though). The linebackers as a group really looked out of position, more than any other group on the defense last year. I think we have some good talent at the position regardless. The coaching was the big stinker and that is why Wannstedt was brought in. I would not be surprised if he ends up with Edward's job by the end of the season.