Most Quotable Movie Ever

/dev/null

What does TSW think is the most quotable movie ever?

My nod goes to Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Anyone have other suggestions?

I definitely agree with that, but I'd also throw in Stripes, Caddyshack and Animal House. All Harold Ramis films, I think.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anybody mention the "Dirty Harry" movies?

Plenty of great one liners in those movies. Just off the top of my haed, here's a few...

She wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.

That's mighty white of you.

Go ahead, make my day.

This is a 44. Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world. It can take your head clean off. You've got to ask yourself one question, Do I feel lucky?

I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Edited by erynthered

A great quote is a great quote, regardless of it's source or your familiarity with it. If "quotable" is defined by how widely recognizable a quote is, then no, an obscure movie would not fit the bill.

Most people don't know where my Lebowski quotes come from, but they're still pertinent to a lot of situations and often get a laugh anyway.

I guess you can read "Most quotable movie ever" two ways. The way I read it is that if you say the quote, people will know what you're talking about. It's that recognition that both the quoter and the quotee have that I think makes it work.

I think what you're doing is taking a good line from movie and making it work in real life, which is also fine.

I guess you can read "Most quotable movie ever" two ways. The way I read it is that if you say the quote, people will know what you're talking about. It's that recognition that both the quoter and the quotee have that I think makes it work.

I think what you're doing is taking a good line from movie and making it work in real life, which is also fine.

I think Army of Darkness qualifies for a bit of both of those statements.

A great quote is a great quote, regardless of it's source or your familiarity with it. If "quotable" is defined by how widely recognizable a quote is, then no, an obscure movie would not fit the bill.

Most people don't know where my Lebowski quotes come from, but they're still pertinent to a lot of situations and often get a laugh anyway.

Semantic difference. A great line is a great line...but to me, "quotable" means I can actually use it somehow, rather than just say "Golly, what a great line!"

I can think of plenty of great lines (Michael Corleone on Hyman Roth: "He's been dying of the same heart attack for thirty years."). I can't think of many contexts in which they're worth quoting, though (I don't know many many old men suffering thirty years of heart trouble who I sarcastically dislike.) But paraphrasing Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men, "You can't handle the <fill in the blank>!" You can make that work anywhere.

Caddyshack has to be #1 with Airplane and The Princess Bride being high up as well.

1 other which had some great lines but isn't quite in that same class is:

History of the World Pt 1. (It's good to be the king.)

And if you play hockey, Slapshot ends up very quotable. (Dave's a killer. Dave's a mess.

Bleed all over him, let him know you're there.

You can't put a bounty on a man's head. I just did.)

Fletch

"put it on the Underhills tab". I quote it all the time. The vast majority does not get it- the others laugh their ass off.

Foul Play

"Kojak. Bang! Bang!"

Edited by Pete

Semantic difference. A great line is a great line...but to me, "quotable" means I can actually use it somehow, rather than just say "Golly, what a great line!"

I can think of plenty of great lines (Michael Corleone on Hyman Roth: "He's been dying of the same heart attack for thirty years."). I can't think of many contexts in which they're worth quoting, though (I don't know many many old men suffering thirty years of heart trouble who I sarcastically dislike.) But paraphrasing Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men, "You can't handle the <fill in the blank>!" You can make that work anywhere.

I agree with you DC Tom. There were some movies that were picked by some people in this thread that made me go :huh:.

Having said that, a lot of people have picked Caddyshack and I have never seen that movie, so all the quotes from that movie would go over my head.

Another quotable movie I would list is, Gladiator.

Another quotable movie I would list is, Gladiator.

I love that movie but have never though about it being quotable .... I guess because it is not a one liner type of entertainment. I see it more as an action movie with great blood and guts not something that people would quote.

Caddyshack has to be #1 with Airplane and The Princess Bride being high up as well.

1 other which had some great lines but isn't quite in that same class is:

History of the World Pt 1. (It's good to be the king.)

And if you play hockey, Slapshot ends up very quotable. (Dave's a killer. Dave's a mess.

Bleed all over him, let him know you're there.

You can't put a bounty on a man's head. I just did.)

Hey Hanrahan...

Fletch

"put it on the Underhills tab". I quote it all the time. The vast majority does not get it- the others laugh their ass off.

Yes! Forgot about that one. I love that movie.

"Using the whole fist doc?" "Ever serve time?"

"Melanoma, Carsanoma, some kind Noma"

"I have to come clean with you, there are no tags on these mattresses"

Danny Caffee's "And the hits just keep on comin'" is a line that works, too.

I remember an interview with a Simpsons' writer who said that the best line he ever wrote was "And here come the pretzels!" (from [4F08] "The Twisted World of Marge Simpson") because he felt people could use that in everyday life. One of the guys on the trade desk would always say that when the servers would crash and the call queue would immediately go from 0 to 100.

I'm using the same criteria. I work these little gems into all kinds of real life conversations, sometimes with slight variations. (ex. "I must have jarred something loose...") I'll let you use your imagination.

As to A Few Good Men, I gag every time I hear that line. It was great the first time it was used, but as with Dave Chappell's impression of Little John saying "What" and "Okay", after a few hundred imitations it starts to make my skin crawl.

I love that movie but have never though about it being quotable .... I guess because it is not a one liner type of entertainment. I see it more as an action movie with great blood and guts not something that people would quote.

"My name is Gladiator."

"What we do in life, echoes an eternity!"

Ok, maybe not the most quotable movie, but that is good stuff.

"My name is Gladiator."

"What we do in life, echoes an eternity!"

Ok, maybe not the most quotable movie, but that is good stuff.

"Are you not entertained?" You can have some fun with that one.