Wilfork vs. Jasper

I'm done for now. There are some people who believe Jasper is a diamond in the rough without seeing ONE SINGLE HIGHLIGHT of him playing NT at the NAIA level, and then there are those of us who are grounded in reality.

I'll pick up this discussion in training camp.

We'll have to revisit this thread to see how "grounded" in reality you are. Why don't you move your pious arse to another thread and let people enjoy their team. This is just some good old fashion optimism. There is nothing wrong with that but you on the other hand seem to want to be a know it all and a spoiler. Give it a rest.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some people who believe Jasper is a diamond in the rough without seeing ONE SINGLE HIGHLIGHT of him playing NT at the NAIA level, and then there are those of us who are grounded in reality.

It's kinda hard to find NT highlights when he was playing OG.

Then again, you're probably the kind of guy who would have insisted on seeing LT highlights of Jason Peters while he was a TE.

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!

the video of him actually playing football makes it seem like he has some Gentle Giant in him.

That can be

, especially the time signatures. B-) Edited by Ralonzo

I'm excited at his numbers too, but two words come to mind to temper the enthusiasm until the pads go on: Leif Larsen

Not Hardly, LL was from Norway and didn't even put on pads until he was in college and benched 225 45 times and was shot putter. It was obvious from interviews that his heart wasn't in football, he was way smaller than jasper and would have been an end for us now. Jasper is none of these and wants to be in the league and will prove to be the steal of the draft.

There is a video of him actually doing the Broad Jump at 9'9". But he stepped his left foot back a little to catch his balance so it doesn't count. This kid is super athletic. Now here is the trick. Can he learn the game of football. If he can he will not have to think, and those split seconds will allow him to just react and wreak HAVOC. Guys he has a super high IQ there should not be any reason he can not learn this game. All the stars could align for this kid. We may be the lucky ones here... And like another poster said, we haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg with this kid. I can NOT wait until training camp. I usually have a few favorites to watch during training camp each year. Him, and Johnny White will be the two top guys I will want to watch. But surprisingly I can say that I want to watch ALL of them. I don't want to just watch a few. I didn't give a crap about some of the defensive prospects we drafted over the past 10 years like Alvin Bowan and so one with the names I have forgot (on purpose). So Kudos to the Bills. I think we got the best draft in the league this year. Love you BUDDY NIX! Go Ba-ba-ba-ba-BILLS!

Edited by DukeyBomb

Agreed. I like the guy's size. I like his story. But there's a reason he was a 7th rounder. Not saying that he can't grow into something great, but come on, we just drafted Marcell freakin' Dareus and all the excitement is about our last round pick?

the excitement is more about the potential....and everyone loves a great deal or steal and a story like this....its nuffin against Dareus...just like if we had drafted Bower he would have been the story of this draft in buffalo..like he is right now in tampa

It's kinda hard to find NT highlights when he was playing OG.

Then again, you're probably the kind of guy who would have insisted on seeing LT highlights of Jason Peters while he was a TE.

He did play NT the year before...

Another interesting thing is Gailey said his body fat level was pretty low. To have a body that size and low body fat is amazing. This guy is definitely a very rare find. It may not translate on the field, but it won't be because of physical attributes. Desire is the only thing that could slow him down now. And frankly, given his sudden promotion to the pros, I think he is going to do every thing in his power to hang on. Can't wait to see him line up across from an NFL caliber center.

Another interesting thing is Gailey said his body fat level was pretty low. To have a body that size and low body fat is amazing. This guy is definitely a very rare find. It may not translate on the field, but it won't be because of physical attributes. Desire is the only thing that could slow him down now. And frankly, given his sudden promotion to the pros, I think he is going to do every thing in his power to hang on. Can't wait to see him line up across from an NFL caliber center.

I guess we'll have to wait until preseason then.

His body fat is "pretty low"?? He's morbidly obese--his % body fat is at least 30%.

Anyway, why is it that posters seem to think this guy has a shot to play at a position they say he has hardly ever played (NT)? Granted, it's not the most difficult position to master on the field, but when discussing Troup's development, it seems like it's akin to becoming a space shuttle pilot?

You can tell by looking at him that, at 6'5" and 378#, he doesn't have a lot of fat on him. Sure he's got a gut, but nothing close to what a guy like Ted Washington (who was the same size) had.

Agreed. I like the guy's size. I like his story. But there's a reason he was a 7th rounder. Not saying that he can't grow into something great, but come on, we just drafted Marcell freakin' Dareus and all the excitement is about our last round pick?

Last time we took a 1st round DT he somewhat underperformed a late round DT named Kyle Williams. So we don't always take the right DT first.

Of course I am just kidding and Dareus is our game changer. But given our history with late round pick success, I will be keeping an eye on Jasper's development and rooting for the underdog too. If there are any football instincts at all, I would love to see what this kid could do at 350.

Vince Wilfork at 2004 combine - 6'1" 323 lbs

40 time: 5.21

Bench 225 lbs: 36

Vert Jump: 26.5"

Broad Jump: 8'5"

20 yrd shuffle:4.5

Michael Jasper private Bills workout - 6'4" 1/2 378 lbs

40 time: 5.38 -.17 sec

Bench 225 lbs: 34 -2 reps

Vert Jump: 32" + 5.5"

Broad Jump: 9'5" + 1'

20 yrd shuffle: ?

"The Shadow" kills Wilfork in the vert and broad jump, he is slightly under Wilfork in bench and 40 time. All while being 55 lbs heavier and 3.5" taller. Get this kid in the NFL weight room and training facilities. We could have the best NT in the NFL! Can't wait to see him in action!!

i have seen his video and spoken to coachs at Bethel. cannot question his passion and desire. we all root for the underdog and hope that he makes the team. future is pretty bright. Go Bills!

We all expect Dareus to be great. We are excited at having a 7th round pick next to Dareus who can also play at an all pro level. Fitz and Johnson were 7th round picks, and Freddie Jackson was undrafted. Dosen't matter where you were drafted. Matters if you can transition to the NFL and have the drive and right size, etc. This guy definetly has the potential to be a high impact 7th round pick.