Round 4 (Pick 122): OT Chris Hairston - Clemson

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think so. Hairston will get looks at RT. Good prospect to have there.

Not trying to burst any bubbles, but (sticking up a bit for the) Wang was considered a good prospect for both OT positions as soon as he was drafted.

Here's to hoping this guy develops into something... :thumbsup:

Bills scout Tom Roth on GR projecting that he will play on the right side, not left (where he played at Clemson). Tall; tends to get tip at the waist a little bit. Good "anchor versus the bull rush." Looked good in one-on-one battles against UNC, Auburn, SC (Cliff Matthews at end), VT (Stephen Friday at end). Good run blocker; 60% of running plays went his way and did well. Noted that Spiller ran behind him.

Now that is interesting.

The Huddle Report's bit on Hairston: (2nd round grade)

STRENGTHS

Chris is a very athletic, talented left tackle. He shows on film quick feet and the lateral agility to play the left tackle position in the NFL at a very high level. He is quick out of his stance and plays with pride. Chris is a big kid and looks like a defensive nose tackle playing left tackle, but once the ball is snapped, this kid moves like a flamingo dancer. He has excellent pass blocking techniques; he's one of the best tackles in this draft going out to the next level and making a block on a linebacker. He shows good strength and balance. When he does get beat, he knows exactly why he got beat and corrects it right away. Chris is a very smart kid and looks to me to have the athletic talent to play more than one position on the line; however, keeping him on the left side because of his pass blocking talent would be the best way to use Chris to impact your team's offensive line quickly.

CONCERNS

Chris is overweight, which may cause him big problems when he is blocking in the running game. He is quick out of his stance, but because of his weight, he lunges and gets off balance and struggles to make his blocks with power. When he tries to cut block, he takes one step and throws himself on the ground, looking more like a beached whale than a tackle. He must improve his physical stamina because as the game goes on, he labors going out to the next level and making blocks. All of these issues can be corrected simply by Chris losing about 20 lbs. On film he looked about 330-350. He needs to be no bigger than 320, in my opinion -- and even that might be too much weight.

BOTTOM LINE

With the weight, Chris reminds me of a bulky Jason Peters (LT Eagles). Without the extra weight, Chris has the potential to be a Pro Bowl left tackle. Additionally, if he corrects his ability to block for the run, he could be a franchise left tackle. Chris is one of those kids that when you are choosing sides on the playground the first day, no one wants to pick him and he is picked last. On the second day, Chris is the very first pick and the captains are fighting over the coin toss to be the first to select. He is surprisingly light on his feet and quick out of his stance. He has such excellent technique when pass blocking, it's almost shocking at first. But as the game goes on, you can see him laboring; fortunately, the fact that he has such good techniques when pass blocking is the only thing that saves him. Chris could have been a 1st round pick in this draft if he had been in better shape. Selecting him at any point in this draft after the first round would be a smart thing. You have nothing to lose and, if you can get him to keep his weight down, you have just selected a potential sleeper Pro Bowl left tackle.

Not trying to burst any bubbles, but Wang was considered a good prospect for both OT positions as soon as he was drafted.

Have we given up on Wang already?

I don't like it. The three month old draft publication written by people who's qualifications are unknown to me that I'm going by says Hairston is the 126th ranked prospect but the Bills reached and picked him at 122.

Best draft comment I've read this week.

I don't like it. The three month old draft publication written by people who's qualifications are unknown to me that I'm going by says Hairston is the 126th ranked prospect but the Bills reached and picked him at 122.

:bag: Oh no ... time to get the GR Whiner Squad out! By the way on Monday from 4-6 can we list our favorite parts of the Royal wedding because you know the guys at GR stopped paying attention to the draft after reading Friday's Buffalo News!

How could we even consider picking #126 early???

The Huddle Report's bit on Hairston: (2nd round grade)

STRENGTHS

Chris is a very athletic, talented left tackle. He shows on film quick feet and the lateral agility to play the left tackle position in the NFL at a very high level. He is quick out of his stance and plays with pride. Chris is a big kid and looks like a defensive nose tackle playing left tackle, but once the ball is snapped, this kid moves like a flamingo dancer. He has excellent pass blocking techniques; he's one of the best tackles in this draft going out to the next level and making a block on a linebacker. He shows good strength and balance. When he does get beat, he knows exactly why he got beat and corrects it right away. Chris is a very smart kid and looks to me to have the athletic talent to play more than one position on the line; however, keeping him on the left side because of his pass blocking talent would be the best way to use Chris to impact your team's offensive line quickly.

CONCERNS

Chris is overweight, which may cause him big problems when he is blocking in the running game. He is quick out of his stance, but because of his weight, he lunges and gets off balance and struggles to make his blocks with power. When he tries to cut block, he takes one step and throws himself on the ground, looking more like a beached whale than a tackle. He must improve his physical stamina because as the game goes on, he labors going out to the next level and making blocks. All of these issues can be corrected simply by Chris losing about 20 lbs. On film he looked about 330-350. He needs to be no bigger than 320, in my opinion -- and even that might be too much weight.

BOTTOM LINE

With the weight, Chris reminds me of a bulky Jason Peters (LT Eagles). Without the extra weight, Chris has the potential to be a Pro Bowl left tackle. Additionally, if he corrects his ability to block for the run, he could be a franchise left tackle. Chris is one of those kids that when you are choosing sides on the playground the first day, no one wants to pick him and he is picked last. On the second day, Chris is the very first pick and the captains are fighting over the coin toss to be the first to select. He is surprisingly light on his feet and quick out of his stance. He has such excellent technique when pass blocking, it's almost shocking at first. But as the game goes on, you can see him laboring; fortunately, the fact that he has such good techniques when pass blocking is the only thing that saves him. Chris could have been a 1st round pick in this draft if he had been in better shape. Selecting him at any point in this draft after the first round would be a smart thing. You have nothing to lose and, if you can get him to keep his weight down, you have just selected a potential sleeper Pro Bowl left tackle.

Ignore every other report, this is what I want to believe!!!!!

Not trying to burst any bubbles, but (sticking up a bit for the) Wang was considered a good prospect for both OT positions as soon as he was drafted.

To me Hairston is more of a mauler than Wang. Seems like an ideal RT in the NFL.

:bag: Oh no ... time to get the GR Whiner Squad out! By the way on Monday from 4-6 can we list our favorite parts of the Royal wedding because you know the guys at GR stopped paying attention to the draft after reading Friday's Buffalo News!

How could we even consider picking #126 early???

Are you listening to GR's draft coverage? It's excellent.

I hear you, Wang did nothing last year.

Pardon the pun, but Wang is soft.

If you saw any video of him at all from Va Tech, you could see that he doesn't have a mean streak or a single aggressive bone in his body.

Are you listening to GR's draft coverage? It's excellent.

Did I read somewhere that they have a Bills scout on air with them?

His inability to get on the field despite a hole bigger than my ex wife at RT makes me a bit skeptical.

Skeptical is a good word.

The OL was decimated with injuries last year and the Bills brought people in off the street rather than let him on the field.

Wang fans may find it hard to give up on him. B-)

But, there is plenty of reason to be skeptical that he is an answer.

BTW, the Packers had a few injuries last year, and they got their rookies on the field, and those rookies contributed to a Super Bowl winning season. Maybe this idea that that one has to wait several years to start to form any sort of idea is a tad outdated when much of the league's depth is comprised of very young players.