Round 4 (Pick 122): OT Chris Hairston - Clemson

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overview

Hairston has the natural size, strength and adequate athleticism necessary to develop into a starting right tackle in the NFL. Exhibits the awareness needed at the next level. Uses power to his advantage stalemating the bull rush and engulfing smaller defensive lineman in the running game. Not at his best when asked to block out in the open, getting to the second level, or in the screen game. Has a tough time dealing with upper-level quickness from DL's. Must overcome minor injury history. Hairston should come off the board in the middle rounds of April's draft.

Strengths

Hairston possesses NFL ideal height for the offensive tackle position. Has great bulk and uses size and strength to his advantage while run blocking and in pass pro. Smart player who understands scheme concepts and his assignments. Not susceptible to the bull rush. Does a good job getting his hat in position when run blocking.

Weaknesses

Not a premier athlete or overly comfortable blocking out in space. Can be beat by a quick, inside pass rushing move. Doesn't consistently fight off counter moves. Needs to watch his pad level in the running game. Has missed some time due to injuries over the course of his college career.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/chris-hairston?id=2495157#tab=1

http://www.sbnation.com/2011-nfl-draft/2011/4/30/2144850/nfl-draft-2011-round-4-best-available-players-remaining

Hairston was listed among the top 10 remaining prospects entering the day by some people.

Also he put up 33 reps at the combine, which was elite amongst tackles, so he is strong as an ox.

Edited by NaPolian8693

Bills scout Tom Roth on GR projecting that he will play on the right side, not left (where he played at Clemson). Tall; tends to get tip at the waist a little bit. Good "anchor versus the bull rush." Looked good in one-on-one battles against UNC, Auburn, SC (Cliff Matthews at end), VT (Stephen Friday at end). Good run blocker; 60% of running plays went his way and did well. Noted that Spiller ran behind him.

I don't like it. The three month old draft publication written by people who's qualifications are unknown to me that I'm going by says Hairston is the 126th ranked prospect but the Bills reached and picked him at 122.

I know. I'm sure he would have been there in the 6th round. Bills reached again!!