Bills' Draft grade Rounds 1-3

1B4IDie

Picks 1-3 = A

Got the best defender in the draft, 1st round CB in the 2nd and 2nd round LB in the 3rd.

Dareus and Sheppard are run stuffer to the extreme and Aaron Williams isnt afraid to make tackles. If he works out at CB the draft goes A+ if he is moved to FS draft moves to a B+.

All 3 players have very little bust potential.

First time in awhile I can rest easy after the draft.

Edited by Why So Serious?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they've done a great job through three rounds. They got a potential All Pro 3-4 DE in R1, a first round talent to upgrade a depleted defensive backfield in R2, and a solid ILB prospect who excelled in the best division of the best conference in college football.

I can't complain at all with what they've done so far.

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the highest...

Rd1 - Darues = 10 - Dareus, nuff said

Rd2 - Williams = 9 - Top corner on the board, top 30 talent

Rd3 - Shepperd = 7 - Solid pick, but better options were on the board IMO (Mallet, Houston)

Total = 8.7 = B+

Would easily be an A if we went Houston or Mallet in the 3rd for me, but still a pretty good draft thus far. I hope we address TE and QB in FA. We at least need a back up to Fitz, and hopefully someone who can challenge for the job (Kolb, Young, etc). There is also several talented TE's on the FA market

I wish people would stop saying i wish we would have drafted mallet or houston, Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey have made it very clear that they will not draft any players who have character concerns and thats basically it, i would have loved to pick justin houston as well but any players with red flags will not get drafted by the buffalo bills. And thats a good thing!

1. A

2. B-

3. B-

Why can't this team ever trade down?

More then likely because our general manager has said more then once that he likes to stay put, idk just throwing that out their... No need to lose picks for next year its gonna take more then one year so lets take it slow.

More then likely because our general manager has said more then once that he likes to stay put, idk just throwing that out their... No need to lose picks for next year its gonna take more then one year so lets take it slow.

Plus it's not that easy...New England was looking to trade out of #33 and couldn't so it's not that surprising that we didn't get the deal we wanted at #34.

Thank goodness he isn;t trading up Either!

Picks 1-3 = A

Got the best defender in the draft, 1st round CB in the 2nd and 2nd round LB in the 3rd.

Dareus and Sheppard are run stuffer to the extreme and Aaron Williams isnt afraid to make tackles. If he works out at CB the draft goes A+ if he is moved to FS draft moves to a B+.

All 3 players have very little bust potential.

First time in awhile I can rest easy after the draft.

Stop with shepperd hype. He was projected 4th round and you know it. He sure wasn't 2nd round. 4.8 40 linebackers are 4th round not 2nd .... Duh. It's hardly a steal getting him early in 3rd.

I give it an A.

One thing that the people who have complained that we should have taken this guy instead of that guy might want to consider is the following: The one constant that I have observed in the two years this regime has been picking players is that they try to pick good guys who are good players. I have no personal knowledge of the character of the players that some of you wanted instead of Williams or Sheppard, but that might help explain why we picked the guys that we did.

As for Martez Wilson, I honestly cannot say whether he is better or worse than Sheppard. If you look at the production of the two players, Sheppard produced over a longer period of time in a much better conference. Again, that might help explain why the Bills like him better -- in addition to the fact that the Bills obviously know him very well having coached him in the Senior Bowl.

1. A

2. B-

3. B-

Why can't this team ever trade down?

A -

You haven't been paying ATTENTION: You can't trade down in the early rounds of the NFL Draft!

Oh, wait. I think Washington traded down four times in the first 2 rounds?

:unsure:

Edited by SoCal-Surf

Stop with shepperd hype. He was projected 4th round and you know it. He sure wasn't 2nd round. 4.8 40 linebackers are 4th round not 2nd .... Duh. It's hardly a steal getting him early in 3rd.

Agreed, why did they pass on Martez Wilson he was most draft experts #1 ILB??

The magazine I'm looking at right now has him as a 2nd round prospect. You act as if there's ONE big board that projects where players are taken. According to buddys board he was a 2nd-3rd round projection. I'll take Buddys board over your board any day of the week. If he becomes our starting ILB for the next several seasons, his "projection" means jack. Projections....lol. I feel that we got a steal.

Agreed, why did they pass on Martez Wilson he was most draft experts #1 ILB??

Because gailey coached shepperd for a whopping total of one game at the senior bowl and liked him. Wilson is less experienced I also think the specter of maybin hangs heavy over their LB pick so they went with the more experienced guy. Even though he's smaller and more than .3 slower in the 40.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

A -

You haven't been paying ATTENTION: You can't trade down in the early rounds of the NFL Draft!

Oh, wait. I think Washington traded down four times in the first 2 rounds?

:unsure:

What did it cost Atlanta to trade up to Cleveland?

Now, explain how that made any kind of sense for Atlanta.

It didn't.

Meanwhile, both the Pats and Redskins traded away from players, value picks as well, that they desperately needed, and for what? 3rd string running backs?

There's a time to trade down, but acting like it's every time is retarded.

Belechick got burned soundly with his trading down last year, and I have no idea how the 2 rbs he took this year are nowhere near better, combined, than the RB the Saints got with the NE pick Belechik traded to them. Makes no sense at all by any objective criteria.

Best of all: would you rather have 4 5th round picks, like the Redskins do currently, or Marcellus Dareus?

You can keep your 4 special teams players. I will take the All-Pro every time.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

What did it cost Atlanta to trade up to Cleveland?

Now, explain how that made any kind of sense for Atlanta.

It didn't.

Meanwhile, both the Pats and Redskins traded away from players, value picks as well, that they desperately needed, and for what? 3rd string running backs?

There's a time to trade down, but acting like it's every time is retarded.

Belechick got burned soundly with his trading down last year, and I have no idea how the 2 rbs he took this year are nowhere near better, combined, than the RB the Saints got with the NE pick Belechik traded to them. Makes no sense at all by any objective criteria.

Best of all: would you rather have 4 5th round picks, like the Redskins do currently, or Marcellus Dareus?

You can keep your 4 special teams players. I will take the All-Pro every time.

OK. :unsure:

what the Gene Frenkle quote? RIP Gene Frenkle 1950 - 2000 SNL

OK. :unsure:

what the Gene Frenkle quote? RIP Gene Frenkle 1950 - 2000 SNL

Gene Frenkle is a poster here who I regularly crush on the Politics Board.

The two reasons I put that in my sig are:

1. it pisses him off

2. he knows I'm right, which pisses him off even more :D

Like Akeem Ayers, right?

1 A+

2 C

3 B+

love first pick. Feel have way too many needs on lines and seriously need linebackers to grab a cb at this point. Teams dont even need to throw for anything more than change of pace currently. Also not a big fan of the one they grabbed. Like that they finally got a linebacker for probably the worst group in the NFL.

A for getting one of the top 3 defenders in the draft (Peterson and miller the others)

A for realizing our secondary is faltering and snatching a first round talent and physical player for the position

C for getting the position right but getting the wrong guy who could have very well been there in rd4 and may not be a full time starter

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Trading down means you pick up extra picks thus increasing your odds of a player panning out...

Jauron/Levy drafted from the Big 10.

Nix/Galey draft from the SEC.

Wilson, Big 10.

Shephard, SEC.

Does the debate need to go any further?

Clay Mathews was from PAC-10. Suh from Big 12. I like the SEC too but there are other conferences.