The Rogue Scout

This is a worthy read, IMO.

"Razzano, a respected talent evaluator during a two-decade-plus career with the San Francisco 49ers, St. Louis Rams and Arizona Cardinals, is talking about former Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert, and he's not holding back."

http://sports.yahoo....ys_label_042511

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His take on Jake Locker is interesting. I don't know if I'd go as far as to compare him to Favre, but he does raise some good points regarding the type of offense they ran at Washington, Locker's lack of protection, etc... If Jake Locker played for a team like Auburn or Oregon, would his stats look very different, and would we be talking about him as the #1 QB prospect?

I'm not a huge fan of Gabbert....at least not in the first half of the first round.

I'll take it with a grain of salt, but the numbers do reclect what he's saying. Can you on one hand give Locker a pass for his completion % because of offensive design and pass protection & slam Gabbert for YPA without bringing up offensive design and pass protection?

Gabbert YPA 6.71, YPC 10.6

Locker YPA 6.82, YPC 12.3

Newton YPA 10.19, YPC 15.4

Ponder YPA 6.84, YPC 11.1

Mallett YPA 9.41, YPC 14.6

Kaepernick YPA 8.42, YPC 13.0

Dalton YPA 9.04, YPC 13.7

He makes Gabbert sound like the next Trent Edwards, that's enough to scare me. I hope Buddy has some rogue in him. Maybe this trade back into the first round talk has some fiber to it. Could be Buddy wants Locker or Colin Kaepernick. Now, I'll have to watch Jurrell Casey as well.

Great read. I recently bought into the Gabbert hype. Mainly bc of his mobility and the high accolades he's received for his football IQ and decision making. This, like most draft articles I read, definitely makes me re-think that.

I've always found Locker intriguing, mainly bc this was a guy that people had rated number 1 overall a year ago. And all of a sudden, now that he had a down year playing for a bad team, he's suddenly a second round QB. That, to me, is insane. If 1 year at a bad college program changes someone from a number 1 overall pick to a 2nd round, high risk guy, then something is wrong.

In short, I have no strong opinions anymore, (aside from the fact that taking Cameron Jordan at 3 is insane). I literally have no idea who the Bills will pick; I've gone from saying they will definitely go QB, to they will definitely go defense. The only thing I am pretty adamant about, is that they will spend a high pick on a QB prospect. I just have no idea who that guy is.

Great read. I recently bought into the Gabbert hype. Mainly bc of his mobility and the high accolades he's received for his football IQ and decision making. This, like most draft articles I read, definitely makes me re-think that.

I've always found Locker intriguing, mainly bc this was a guy that people had rated number 1 overall a year ago. And all of a sudden, now that he had a down year playing for a bad team, he's suddenly a second round QB. That, to me, is insane. If 1 year at a bad college program changes someone from a number 1 overall pick to a 2nd round, high risk guy, then something is wrong.

In short, I have no strong opinions anymore, (aside from the fact that taking Cameron Jordan at 3 is insane). I literally have no idea who the Bills will pick; I've gone from saying they will definitely go QB, to they will definitely go defense. The only thing I am pretty adamant about, is that they will spend a high pick on a QB prospect. I just have no idea who that guy is.

Same thing happened to Brian Brohm...

NEVERGIVEUP - please forward this to the powers that be at ODB. Not because I am in love with Locker - but because I am worried that OBD is in love with Newton or Gabbert.

Edited by ACor58

This is a worthy read, IMO.

"Razzano, a respected talent evaluator during a two-decade-plus career with the San Francisco 49ers, St. Louis Rams and Arizona Cardinals, is talking about former Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert, and he's not holding back."

http://sports.yahoo....ys_label_042511

What did this guy think of Alex Smith or MAtt Leinert?

I've always wondered how Gabbert became such hot crap when no one even knew he existed when it was all about Andrew Luck. To me it seems Gabbert got sucked into the vacuum that Luck created.

PTR

And just like that, PTR has summarized my months-long take on the 2011 Draft noise, to date.

This guy says production is the most important thing and that you shouldn't make excuses for lack of production, and then turns around and does exactly that with Locker.

Haha I thought the same thing. Still a pretty sweet article though. I can see NFL teams operating just like that, and its funny to hear him say scouts just end up liking who everyone else likes so that their neck isn’t stuck out at all. Im also interested in this Jurrell Casey now… Ill have to check his youtube clips out later lol.

He makes Gabbert sound like the next Trent Edwards, that's enough to scare me. I hope Buddy has some rogue in him. Maybe this trade back into the first round talk has some fiber to it. Could be Buddy wants Locker or Colin Kaepernick. Now, I'll have to watch Jurrell Casey as well.

A couple of months ago when the Gabbert media hype machine started in full force, I did a lot of reading up on him and came away with the distinct impression that he's a check down guy who hates throwing it long for whatever reason and who gets skittish under pressure from the defense. I provided link after link and all I got was that I didn't watch his games.

Well for all those guys...this guy seems to have watched enough of Gabbert's games that he's basically laughing at the prospect of him being considered a top rated QB. I've never really believed that Gabbert is on the Bills' board. At least I hope that's the case.

I wonder if he has a report on Von Miller since this is the guy being linked to us by pretty much everyone.

Love it. 3 days before the draft and everyone is bashing these QBs. Greg Gabriel think Newton is the only guy worth taking a shot at in the 1st.

I so hope we land an OT/TE in the top of the 2nd, sick of hearing about these QBs. Gabbert was straight up ethered.