I just started and finished watching Breaking Bad

The Poojer

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm all caught up on Breaking Bad for the moment. What a terrific show!

I'm thinking of watching Mad Men or Boardwalk Empire next?

Which one is the better series?

You can't wrong with either one... two of my all-time favorites....I will say, if you decide to go the "Boardwalk Empire" rout, it actually is better to watch them in rapid succession..it has a pretty thick story, lots of characters....it took me about a half season to get into it fully, because, I think, I was just forgetting too much stuff...recently started re-watching season one (after a stellar season three!), and am enjoying it immensely!

"Mad Men" is terrific as well. The new season is set to start at the end of March (I think), so if you want to get caught up in time for that...go with it.

Having to choose between one or the other is tough...but console yourself in that, whatever you choose, you have two great shows to watch.

Thanks for your input. I get the underlying story of Boardwalk Empire but what is the quick synopsis of Mad Men?

That's a little tougher, and it is hard to describe it, and make it sound good.... I'm afraid if I try, it will sound bad. My sister kept urging me to watch it during the first season. She kept telling me "you will love it"...when I asked her what it was about, and she said "it's about a guy who works at a NY ad agency in the 60's", I had absolutely zero interest in watching it. Then, she gave me the first season on blu-ray, for Christmas (she really wanted me to see it)... not wanting to be a jerk, I watched the first episode with her, and was immediately hooked.

The show is very deep, even when you aren't thinking about it. Some people focus on the time capsule aspect of it, which is pretty cool. The main character, Don Draper, is pretty layered...on the surface he is a pretty-boy, womanizer....but under the surface he is dark, pretty cynical, but hasn't given up on the notion of figuring out what "it" is all about. He is pretty existential... but the interesting thing to me, is that Draper (who IIRC is supposed to be 34 when the show starts) is kind of reaching the heights of his profession at a time when his strengths are a great tool...but he is already at a point where youth is going to pass him by....and he may not see it coming.

Sorry....I am doing a horrendous job here...just a great, adult, show. It was created by Matthew Weiner, who was one of the two hand-picked creative guides for "The Sopranos" (the other was Terrance Winter, who created "Boardwalk Empire"), and while it is not at all similar plot wise, "Mad Men" shares some similarities with "The Sopranos" in that they feature characters with as much texture as you are going to find anywhere. Tony Soprano and Don Draper are as different as two guys could be, on the surface...but they are driven by many of the same demons.

Edited by Buftex

You can't wrong with either one... two of my all-time favorites....I will say, if you decide to go the "Boardwalk Empire" rout, it actually is better to watch them in rapid succession..it has a pretty thick story, lots of characters....it took me about a half season to get into it fully, because, I think, I was just forgetting too much stuff...recently started re-watching season one (after a stellar season three!), and am enjoying it immensely!

"Mad Men" is terrific as well. The new season is set to start at the end of March (I think), so if you want to get caught up in time for that...go with it.

Having to choose between one or the other is tough...but console yourself in that, whatever you choose, you have two great shows to watch.

Boardwalk is hard to follow alright. they mention a character in a episode and expect you to remember the name 3 episodes later. Almost need to take notes.

That's a little tougher, and it is hard to describe it, and make it sound good.... I'm afraid if I try, it will sound bad. My sister kept urging me to watch it during the first season. She kept telling me "you will love it"...when I asked her what it was about, and she said "it's about a guy who works at a NY ad agency in the 60's", I had absolutely zero interest in watching it. Then, she gave me the first season on blu-ray, for Christmas (she really wanted me to see it)... not wanting to be a jerk, I watched the first episode with her, and was immediately hooked.

The show is very deep, even when you aren't thinking about it. Some people focus on the time capsule aspect of it, which is pretty cool. The main character, Don Draper, is pretty layered...on the surface he is a pretty-boy, womanizer....but under the surface he is dark, pretty cynical, but hasn't given up on the notion of figuring out what "it" is all about. He is pretty existential... but the interesting thing to me, is that Draper (who IIRC is supposed to be 34 when the show starts) is kind of reaching the heights of his profession at a time when his strengths are a great tool...but he is already at a point where youth is going to pass him by....and he may not see it coming.

Sorry....I am doing a horrendous job here...just a great, adult, show. It was created by Matthew Weiner, who was one of the two hand-picked creative guides for "The Sopranos" (the other was Terrance Winter, who created "Boardwalk Empire"), and while it is not at all similar plot wise, "Mad Men" shares some similarities with "The Sopranos" in that they feature characters with as much texture as you are going to find anywhere. Tony Soprano and Don Draper are as different as two guys could be, on the surface...but they are driven by many of the same demons.

I'd say that was a pretty good synopsis considering you have to avoid spoilers. I would add that the relationship between Don and Peggy nicely contrasts everything else in Don Draper's life. The 7th episode of Season 4 "The Suitcase" is about as close to a perfect hour of television drama I've seen. Of course, you need to see everything leading up to that to understand.

Boardwalk is hard to follow alright. they mention a character in a episode and expect you to remember the name 3 episodes later. Almost need to take notes.

I had the same problem with "The WIre"... I started that show three different times, before making it all the way through. It was great, but, like Boardwalk, I think more enjoyable when you have a backlog of episodes to watch, than waiting for a new installment every week, stretched out over 5 years... story just has so many detours and shades, it is easy to forget stuff.

I'm all caught up on Breaking Bad for the moment. What a terrific show!

I'm thinking of watching Mad Men or Boardwalk Empire next?

Which one is the better series?

I started watching Boardwalk Empire and first thought it was pretty good. But later I thought the story got a little ridiculous. When Nucky went to see Mrs. Schroeder after the St. Patty's bust I shut it off.

PTR

Just stumbled upon this thread...wife and I started watching the series on Netflix last week and we're already into season 3. Just fantastic. I figure we'll be through season 4 by the end of next week...hopefully the first half of season 5 will be available soon, and we'll then be geeked up to watch it "live" when the final 1/2 season hits this summer.

• 3 weeks later...

so i just watched the first 2 episodes of the new season of Being Human and I am majorly disappointed that they re-animated the ghost character...one of my simple pleasures was seeing Meaghan Rath in her yoga pants and sweater in each episode...now that she is human she is gonna be changing clothes...although in the first go-around it was pretty good...but it wasn't the yoga pants outfit.....

Was listening to a replay of a certain radio show that hasn't been funny or relevant for years, and one of the personalities recommend a a show about a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost trying to assimilate in a normal world, not usually my cup of tea, but she was giving it a glowing review, might be walking dead, but that could be another show they were talking about

It's called being human

All I've seen so far is "Summer 2013".

I am guessing it will be July 7th. "Mad Men" starts on April 7th...has its' 13 week run...which would take us to Sunday, July 7th for Breaking Bad. Looking forward to both!

Mad Men > Boardwalk Boardwalk did get better late in last season though FWIW.

I love "Mad Men", so I am not going to quibble, but I seriously think that "Boardwalk Empire" is in the same ballpark. If you ever get bored, nothing else to watch, go back and watch them in quick succession...knowing what is going to happen makes those earlier episodes (which I admit I thought were good, but not super exciting) so much better... also, looking into the real story of the characters helps. I just watched all three seasons again, over the last 2 months and I am chomping at the bit, now, for season four.

Just stumbled upon this thread...wife and I started watching the series on Netflix last week and we're already into season 3. Just fantastic. I figure we'll be through season 4 by the end of next week...hopefully the first half of season 5 will be available soon, and we'll then be geeked up to watch it "live" when the final 1/2 season hits this summer.

Word is none of Season 5 will be on Netflix until the DVDs for the whole season are released.

That would be a bummer. I chewed through 1-4 like candy. Got a serious jones for S5 P1. AMC has to rerun it prior to S5 P2. Don't they? DON'T THEY?

Word is none of Season 5 will be on Netflix until the DVDs for the whole season are released.

That would be a bummer. I chewed through 1-4 like candy. Got a serious jones for S5 P1. AMC has to rerun it prior to S5 P2. Don't they? DON'T THEY?

they absolutely will replay P1 before the new half of the season....def. a marathon format right before they start part 2