Jim Kelly

Jim Kelly should have stayed through the 99 season and "homerun throw up" wouldn't have happened and we would have beat the Rams in the superbowl. I remember back in 96 thinking that Jim was getting old and needed to move on, however in retrospect had we focused on the offensive line he could have kept playing on like Elway and Marino did and would have finished his career with a ring. Granted he was becoming more immobile but if we had two probowl tackles and then Kent Hull would have stayed Kelly would have had all the time in the world to make plays. We had a great defense with Hansen, Washington, Bruce, Sam Cowart, Winfield and then Eric Moulds, Peerless price on offense with Riemersma and the running game still serviceable it could have been easily worked out. So hopefully when we get our next franchise QB we will keep him as long as possible like Peyton Manning who is still in his prime and is going into his 13th year, one more than Jim's pro career.

Jim Kelly should have stayed through the 99 season and "homerun throw up" wouldn't have happened and we would have beat the Rams in the superbowl. I remember back in 96 thinking that Jim was getting old and needed to move on, however in retrospect had we focused on the offensive line he could have kept playing on like Elway and Marino did and would have finished his career with a ring. Granted he was becoming more immobile but if we had two probowl tackles and then Kent Hull would have stayed Kelly would have had all the time in the world to make plays. We had a great defense with Hansen, Washington, Bruce, Sam Cowart, Winfield and then Eric Moulds, Peerless price on offense with Riemersma and the running game still serviceable it could have been easily worked out. So hopefully when we get our next franchise QB we will keep him as long as possible like Peyton Manning who is still in his prime and is going into his 13th year, one more than Jim's pro career.

What?

So you guys just want to keep talking about the same old stuff? I made this thread because it is something I have been feeling for awhile and wanted to give Jim the credit he deserved. Scrappy, he wouldn't have thrown all those INTs if he had prtection.

By 1996, Kelly's arm was in bad shape. Never mind he couldn't run (he never could), but his arm began heading downhill after 1991. If Kelly had anything left, he would have played for the Ravens in 1997 but in his workout for Marchibroda/Ravens, he was deemed done by the OC that coached JK's greatest years.

So you guys just want to keep talking about the same old stuff? I made this thread because it is something I have been feeling for awhile and wanted to give Jim the credit he deserved. Scrappy, he wouldn't have thrown all those INTs if he had prtection.

The Bills demonstrated they were not going to invest in protection when they failed to engage successfully in an effort to keep Wil Wolford here. Due to the case that Mr. Ralph decided to deal with the salary cap as a businessman rather than as a sportsman, there was no way the Bills were going to handle or ignore the cap except on Mr. Ralph's terms.

This thread is anchored in the past as long as its primary purpose is to pay tribute to Kelly. However, it actually deals with both the future and the seat of our current problems to the extent it focuses on the poor football and personnel management policies of Mr. Ralph.

The amazing point made clear by your original post is that even outsiders like you and I could tell in 96 that Jimbo after some great and glorious service which merited the HOF in my book was done as a player.

Yet, an insider, Mr. Ralph who should have known better made a handshake deal with Jimbo only he could make that said he would reward Jimbo in his next contract which never happened.

The Bills have continually suffered from bad football judgments either made by or kicked off by this handshake deal which saw the Bills make killer mistake after killer mistake after it kept messing up the QB situation often by overreaching in a stupid search for a new savior.

This is the story today and may well be repeated if we use the #3 for Gabbert (or possibly Newton if he falls to #3.

The Bills demonstrated they were not going to invest in protection when they failed to engage successfully in an effort to keep Wil Wolford here. Due to the case that Mr. Ralph decided to deal with the salary cap as a businessman rather than as a sportsman, there was no way the Bills were going to handle or ignore the cap except on Mr. Ralph's terms.

This thread is anchored in the past as long as its primary purpose is to pay tribute to Kelly. However, it actually deals with both the future and the seat of our current problems to the extent it focuses on the poor football and personnel management policies of Mr. Ralph.

The amazing point made clear by your original post is that even outsiders like you and I could tell in 96 that Jimbo after some great and glorious service which merited the HOF in my book was done as a player.

Yet, an insider, Mr. Ralph who should have known better made a handshake deal with Jimbo only he could make that said he would reward Jimbo in his next contract which never happened.

The Bills have continually suffered from bad football judgments either made by or kicked off by this handshake deal which saw the Bills make killer mistake after killer mistake after it kept messing up the QB situation often by overreaching in a stupid search for a new savior.

This is the story today and may well be repeated if we use the #3 for Gabbert (or possibly Newton if he falls to #3.

Is english your first language? I feel like I'm reading a google translation.

Edited by Thisistheyear

Is english your first language? I feel like I'm reading a google translation.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

In case you need an interpretation, that means if you're going to criticize someone about their inability to write to your satisfaction, you better write it in perfect English, which you haven't done.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

In case you need an interpretation, that means if you're going to criticize someone about their inability to write to your satisfaction, you better write it in perfect English, which you haven't done.

No one here is a english major. I feel that "Fantasy Island" needs to either be in the title or first post, then I can read this for what it is.

Kelly was done! I forgot Marv's famous qoute on retiring--went something like...once, youve thought about quiting--you've already quit!

that doesn't even make much sense once you think about it.

marv was an idiot, but had the rep of a smart guy

couldn't win a Super Bowl when loaded with talent. couldn't draft worth a damn.

Kelly was done! I forgot Marv's famous qoute on retiring--went something like...once, youve thought about quiting--you've already quit!

that doesn't even make much sense once you think about it.

couldn't win a Super Bowl when loaded with talent. couldn't draft worth a damn.

Marv's quote had to do with coaching, nothing about retirement...if you start listening to the fans/media pretty soon you'll be sitting with them...

Or as Marv himself would put it, "once you have the reputation as an early riser, you can sleep in all you want."

Just thought I'd add my nonsense to our nonsensical thread.

As far as Thisistheyear's comment about the translation, maybe perfect english reads to him like a second language.

Kelly would have played on the kick off coverage team?

No one here is a english major. I feel that "Fantasy Island" needs to either be in the title or first post, then I can read this for what it is.

Maybe no one that has posted in this thread, but there are English majors on the board.

Kelly played 13 seasons, his first two were in the USFL. He was done.

Edited by jkx2

The Bills demonstrated they were not going to invest in protection when they failed to engage successfully in an effort to keep Will Wolford here.

Sorry, but that is complete BS. The Bills slapped Wolford with the transition tag, meaning the Bills could match any offer Wolford accepted.

The Colts offered Wolford a contract that contained a "poison pill", making it virtually impossible for the Bills to match the offer.

When the Bills lost in arbitration (yes, they even tried to get the Colts offer declared illegal), they had no choice but to let Wolford go.

My link